Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob

Real Name Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LittleMe
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 15, 2005, 08:15
Total Comments 4824 (Master)
User ID 23321

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Friday Metaverse
3. Re: Friday Metaverse Dec 27, 2013, 23:27 LittleMe

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 13:52:
Internet Archive puts classic 70s and 80s games online.

The other day, my internal monologue was saying, "I really miss Pong. Wish I could play that again." And now, presto!

Which version? The Magnavox Odyssey or Atari version? The latter had sound and a score counter.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Week One Recap
19. Re: DayZ Week One Recap Dec 24, 2013, 22:25 LittleMe

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 20:50:
They have your money - they are in no rush to hire more help.

There's more money out there.

News Comments > DayZ Week One Recap
16. Re: DayZ Week One Recap Dec 24, 2013, 17:00 LittleMe

Been playing for a couple days(z) now and am enjoying it. It seems that they are taking it seriously and adding significant features to the game, but obviously it's slow-going. I'd be surprised if the game is feature finished by Dec 2014. I'd guess they'll go final by summer/autumn '14 but I expect more to follow after full release. Seems to me they need to hire more developers to quicken the pace and improve the quality. Surely they've recouped their investment already and then some. They stand to make a whole lot of money if they could only deliver faster it seems to me.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2013, 19:15 LittleMe

Seems like supply for housing isn't meeting demand so prices skyrocket. Can't San Fran just zone higher density? Look at what China is doing.. They are building a *lot* of housing. Sure Shanghai is a concrete jungle but they have a (small) place to call home. We have a housing problem here too and everyone spends a lot of time in traffic because the zoning laws are written to benefit single family homes for which the banks get increasingly large mortgages. Suburban sprawl is a zoning issue, no?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 19, 2013, 21:28 LittleMe

What goes around comes around...  

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
4. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 17, 2013, 12:46 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 11:02:
Yet another zombie last-gen console game? Man these guys are all 5 years behind the curve on both tech and memes.

Last and current gen. Presumably PC will get current gen. Not sure why you are complaining about the tech. The game looks great.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Alpha for Backers
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Alpha for Backers Dec 17, 2013, 12:43 LittleMe

Awesome. Can't wait for the final game!  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Dec 13, 2013, 12:28 LittleMe

I'm waiting for the Hanger 18 patch.  

News Comments > Terminal Reality Closed?
4. Re: Terminal Reality Closed? Dec 12, 2013, 23:07 LittleMe

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 21:51:
Well that's a bummer. Terminal Velocity is one of my favorites. It was a shame they never got more recognition back then.

Same. Was fun to fire up the IPX network at a friend's place with Terminal Velocity as our warmup game! The music!! Too bad they left PC for the consoles.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:51 LittleMe

That trailer is bad. Firstly it brings no connection to why they are fighting. It's just people senselessly killing each other for some ruby. I feel ashamed after watching it and ask myself 'is this what gaming is about? Senselessly killing people and 'rawring' about it? Well knowing that it's also a console game for kids answers some of those questions.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2013, 18:11 LittleMe

Wasn't AC4 on sale recently for $30? Oh well I have plenty to fill my time till it drops in price.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 9, 2013, 18:09 LittleMe

It's a PR campaign to save face. These same corporations cooperated more or less and only when found out they do this. I doubt they seriously intend on what they say.  

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
154. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 17:34 LittleMe

Or maybe WaltC enjoys putting himself on a pedastal of moral superiority over the common 'normal people.' He makes a narcissistic argument and backs it up with no evidence of any sort. Where is your evidence? I myself haven't investigated this particular story but tend to believe there's some validity to it. I don't know if it's 10 or 100 people or 1000 spying in online games...  

148. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 17:20 LittleMe

Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 17:16:
Seeing so many crazy people here is almost like finding out you're the only person on your street who isn't a scientologist.

Speak for yourself. After all you contribute nothing to the conversation with that post except boost your superior ego and vilify and attack other people's opinion. Maybe one day will question what the TV told you?

142. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 17:09 LittleMe

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 13:06:
I think I did it here before, and I don't have much time to do it all right now, but:

1) "We're pulling the building." Why in the world would the firefighters know about any kind of operation to make it fall, if it was truly a conspiracy. Isn't it more likely that he meant "hey, this building isn't stable and is a lost cause, get everyone out, we're pulling this operation?"

Yes maybe your right on that point, but it is a suspicious use. Is 'pull' the term they typically use to remove firefighters from buildings?

2) I don't get why its fall is controversial, either. Thousands of tons of steel and concrete fell right next to it. The ground literally shook. There's no way that doesn't do structural damage. Here's the damage it took outside, too, which looks more than structural. Lastly, the argument keeps being made that these things should have "toppled over." Outside of chinese buildings in soft mud, when's the last time you saw a building topple over? The weight is all on the top, so when one component on the bottom gives it distributes the weight on other parts in an instant, making them give, making the whole thing fall

Well there were other smaller buildings much closer to the towers that were completely fallen on top of and their core structure survived. I think they were buildings 3,4 or 5. They had far more damage, but weren't as tall as 7. 7 was not in any danger of collapse from the superficial damage. Have you looked into what was in that building?

As for those (not you) that think the WTC towers were controlled demolition, scroll to 1:30 here. The top of the tower clearly starts falling right where the damage is - for the first few seconds the roof is coming down while the flames aren't moving. So either they put bombs on the exact floor the planes hit, which sounds like a Stunt Island mission, or the impact damage is what brought them down. Which is more "reasonable?"

I believe it's a computer controlled cascading demolition. The time between the planes hit and the actual destruction gave them plenty of time to set the charges to start at that floor and go down the building from there. Computers can do this easily. Look at all the powder in the collapse. That powder is similar to a dusty volcanic eruption. Look at YT vids of buildings demolitions. There's lots of powder/dust from demolitions. Also the strong cores of all three buildings should have survived in whole or in part if they just collapsed but instead the cores were completely gone at the exact same time and that is highly questionable.

We are used to Hollywood explsions and those are very fiery. However a real explsion to take a building down isn't. Also, people up close said the noise was incredibly loud including the firemen in the bottom level who survived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbEJ3pXwWM I think that video explains why many people are so adamant and attack those patriotic enough to question what we are still being told to justify this illegal NSA spying.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
16. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2013, 02:11 LittleMe

mellis wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:13:
Remember; Bitcoin is mutable. The functionality and features that come under the 'Bitcoin' umbrella will likely differ significantly in the future from the current offering. Bitcoin now will not be Bitcoin tomorrow.

Same can be said for the dollar or euro or any central currency. This is one reason why open competing currencies are so important. Crypto currencies aren't about eliminating risk to me. They're about freedom and prosperity to empower human dignity as opposed to tyranny and humiliation.

15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2013, 01:44 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 22:58:
If it's electronic it can be hacked, deleted, stolen, tracked and taxed. Thanks but that's why I'm a cash kind of guy. The less the government and big biz know about my spending habits the better. Why pay tax if you don't have to?

And yes, I still don't understand how these things have any real value if they're just pulled out of the ether. Whilst value is arbitrary and we all have to agree on a value, currency we use actually represents units of actual work performed. I give you an hour's labour and create XYZ and you give me X amount of dollars in return. A computer program stumbles across a random number and all of a sudden you've won the lottery? No sir, I don't like it.

As I understand it, the mining is absolutely essential for the currency to function and be trustworthy. It's not a gambling 'won the lottery' sort of thing. If mining was akin to gambling then there would be concern of course. People usually join collective pools and share the mined bitcoins so if one person finds the bitcoin, the whole pool benefits. But don't forget that there are costs associated with mining the coins so don't think of it as a lottery.

There are only so many coins mined every day, about ten each day, iirc. Even if 100X the computing power were put to it, we would still get roughly the same number of new BTC each day. Mining coins isn't just about mining, it also validates all transactions and so creates a foundation of trust for the currency (I'm a little vague on specifics here).

Likewise... Cash is not very trustworthy as it's based on the FRN. They can create as much new money and steal the value of your cash any time they want. And they do just that all the time. 99%+ of the value of our cash value has been inflated away since the Fed was created. If you are skeptical of BTC then you need be even more skeptical of the non-reserve notes we call money. Instead of our money working for us, the banks have flipped it upside-down so that our money works for them. FRN cash is rather anonymous though so use it for that of course...

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2013, 01:07 LittleMe

mellis wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 20:56:
Bitcoin has no value other than that which people perceive.

Perceptions are based on an underlying reality. Sorry to single out this part of your _otherwise_ very informative and insightful post. Really good post. *bows*

You state the obvious that the bitcoin has no intrinsic value in and of itself but as with any representative currency, the value is if someone else will accept it as payment. The value is that it can't (yet) be falsified. Even gold went through this process thousands of years ago when traders finally found a way to verify if the gold was genuine or diluted by scratching it on a specific black rock (forget what type). The "real value" is that it can be trusted. That is real value.

I feel urged to say that Fed Reserve Notes have no real intrinsic value. Their value is always destined to deteriorate, in the longer term because it has built-in inflation with interest and fractional banking rules (both are theft of value).

The bitcoin and similar crypto currencies are openly peer reviewed and entirely voluntary, yet people use them. On the flip side, reserve notes don't have 'reserves' and the only reason we use them is because we are forced to under threat of law.

Even a paycheck from your employer in FRN has no real value in and of itself. It's only when you take it to the store or pay someone else with it that it had value in the first place. The notes can't be traded in to the issuer (Fed Reserve or US Mint) for anything physical any longer. Those rules were changed to pay for the Vietnam War and the continually growing warfare/welfare state.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2013, 01:13.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 14:49 LittleMe

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 14:08:
The way bitcoin works is actually quite revolutionary, if you look at it with an open mind you will be quite amazed. *I made the mistake of blowing it off as a completely joke when it was new* Digital/virtual currencies are going to change the way money is transferred around the world dramatically in the next decade. As to whether Bitcoin sticks around is another story, being first to market is advantageous, however betting on "round one" of something new is always a gamble.

Virtual currency, here to stay. Bitcoin, may or may not be, if you buy it now and it does, you will make a lot of money, if you do and it doesn't, there it goes.

Same. When I first heard of it, I thought it was something more akin to Paypal, but it's nothing of the sort. Not even close. It has many elements of a revolutionary currency that can free humanity from the bonds of economic serfdom.

I agree it might not be the best crypto currency, as new ones are developed. Maybe it's biggest weakness is that it can be mined with ASIC chips. Seems that the only thing that will end it is if the encryption is broken by someone, but then other crypto currencies will easily fill the gap. Maybe 12-24 months from now these currencies will be accepted everywhere.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2013, 13:56 LittleMe

Well said Cutter. It was a well delivered war mongering speech. Hundreds of thousands of Americans died and it was probably avoidable. It wasn't reluctancy on his part that's for certain. He wanted to go to war because he wanted to expand the power of the federal government, which is what he did throughout his presidency in many ways. I wonder how FDR ranks on the psychopathic scale.

4824 Comments. 242 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo