Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob

Real Name Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LittleMe
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 15, 2005, 08:15
Total Comments 4856 (Master)
User ID 23321

User comment history
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Demo Plans
5. Re: Battlefield 3 Demo Plans Apr 21, 2011, 22:29 LittleMe

Start the PC beta/demo this summer please. ty

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Play4Free Perks for BF3 Preorders
3. Re: Play4Free Perks for BF3 Preorders Apr 21, 2011, 01:53 LittleMe

This reminded me to try bf P4F. It's good fun. IMO they improved many subtle aspects to the vanilla game. No, it's nowhere near as good as Project Reality but I didn't expect anything like that.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 20, 2011, 21:32 LittleMe

Oh that's no coincidence either! It's a blatant copy! Awesome. It's not a membrane though which is also a plus. Sign me up for one. Would like to see them make an 800xl keyboard and copy the red power light and inset reset/option/select/start/help keys.  

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI in September
1. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in September Apr 20, 2011, 21:23 LittleMe

Do what needs to be done to finish it properly, please. I have no problem with their delaying the release.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. President Obama complains White House technology is '30 years behind' Apr 15, 2011, 23:06 LittleMe

This is just one of many reasons why we don't want the feds in charge of the Internet or anything tech related. Central planning is evil, and it sucks.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 13, 2011, 22:38 LittleMe

skyguy wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 22:16:
Internet access is a privilege, not a right. Unless I'm mistaken, courts still regularly prohibit convicted hackers from using the internet, just like they regularly prohibit convicted drunk drivers from driving.

Internet access viewed privilege is also a dangerous one. I'm sure you don't mean literally, though. In a tyrannical society, I can one day see people being provided access to the Internet only if they worship their ruler for one hour every day and after being certified for paying %90 income tax. That also is not the kind of society in which I want to live.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be the prerogative of government in any way, shape or form. Literally. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to losing the Internet. So in my view, it's should be none of their business what we do or do not do with or on the Internet.

The Internet itself in many ways (but not all) naturally resists control and is an affront to government or planning. Just look at how well the IETF itself has failed to deploy IPv6 (the new Internet protocol). There are many examples of this. The uncontrolled distribution of Music, games and movies are another of course.

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 13, 2011, 22:30 LittleMe

Access to spoons, hamburgers or metal screws are not viewed as a human right and yet these are useful things that the market (free or not) provides usually in abundance. In a similar tone, Internet access should not be viewed as a human right. It should be something that the market is allowed to provide unrestricted access to.

If Internet access is decided to be a natural-born human right, then it likely becomes the prerogative of government and the central planning model. We're talking about a product and service here, not truly inalienable god-given rights as outlined in the US Constitution.

Learn the difference between Natural and legal rights. The phrasing used in this article says 'human right' which implies that it may 'be directly provided' by authoritarian control.

Vague wording like as it appears Berners-Lee used here is also used by tyrants for their own ends.

Now if Berners-Lee had specified that web-access should be viewed as a human-right but absolutely not be provided by default from government, then I'd be in favor of that. The distinction is important.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 13, 2011, 22:03 LittleMe

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 21:57:
It's hard to believe you're not just trolling.

I'm not. I'm a firm believer in the notion that 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions.' In that tone, I think the Internet viewed as a human right is potentially a dangerous one.

Are you saying he's not a part of the educational elite?

ps. it was you who started accusing and making personal attacks. I say you are the troll, not I.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 13, 2011, 21:53 LittleMe

He's arguing for central planning. He's an elitist. He's using glowy-sounding rhetoric that favors the globalist agenda. He despises 'conspiracy theories' and wants to bring the world's poor under control and influence of the globalists. A laptop is mostly useless to a bushman living off the land. How dare people in the world live in isolation, without being perpetually indebted to the big banks!

The efforts to modernize the third world have brought incredible suffering there. Look at their cities. So much poverty and filth. This is a natural a product of teaching people in remote and monetarily poor areas a way of life that only works in the cities.

Access to laptops and technology is NOT the world's problem. Such things are cheap and pervasive. Human freedom and liberty are the real seeds of human prosperity, peace and a better environment.

News Comments > Theatre of War 3: Korea Demo
2. Re: Theatre of War 3: Korea Demo Apr 12, 2011, 17:11 LittleMe

I've heard this is the buggiest ToW game yet. Not sure though. Haven't played any of them myself.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 9, 2011, 19:05 LittleMe

“Internet access providers have always lived with basic rules of the road, and ‘no blocking’ was chief among them,” Doyle wrote. “Those basic rules of the road are what turned the internet into the economic engine it is today. Now some broadband providers don’t want to play by those rules. They want the right to block what you get to see. I don’t want to live in a country where it’s legal to block websites like it is in oppressive regimes like Iran, China, Saudi Arabia and Sudan.”

Strawman. In oppressive regimes, it's the government itself that blocks websites. Consumer choice can and should be allowed to operate so the so-called problem is solved by people voting with their wallet. When did people forget how markets function? Why can't we allow consumers to chose between more than TWO internet service providers?

Have we forgotten that this problem was created by government in the first place in the form of a duopoly that is very likely no longer needed in the 21st century?

News Comments > ArmA: Armed Assault Patch
1. Re: ArmA: Armed Assault Patch Apr 9, 2011, 18:56 LittleMe

Woooooooow!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. 10 Hilariously Dated News Reports on "New" Technologies. Apr 7, 2011, 18:22 LittleMe

All your New Technologies are belong to us.  

News Comments > The Sims Medieval Patch
2. Re: The Sims Medieval Patch Apr 6, 2011, 16:46 LittleMe

kxmode wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 11:17:
Because this is The Sims Medieval, the Patch is actually a patch made from cloth.

Cloth or burlap.

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
1. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 15:07 LittleMe

Get out of cash and put it into commodities. The value of paper money is dropping. Look at what silver has done lately. This is what bailouts and 'stimulus' pork projects do to a currency (ruin it!).

News Comments > Unreal Engine Trailer
7. Re: Unreal Engine Trailer Apr 6, 2011, 14:51 LittleMe

Nice vid! They showed the updated 'scalable UI' in UT3 which looked much nicer and I wish they'd release that in a patch for the game!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Multitasking And User Interface in 1982. Apr 5, 2011, 01:28 LittleMe

Great vid!! Thanks Ant.  

News Comments > Kali Port Change
13. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 4, 2011, 03:40 LittleMe

Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 00:54:
Kali was one of the few apps I paid a registration for back then. Nowadays I pay for more apps if they are priced decent. I still can't stomach $40 for FRAPS though.

Oh and the gamespy 3d server browser? Still 100 times more full featured than valve's crap.

Same for me on all you said. The Steam sever browser is lacking!

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA
10. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 1, 2011, 03:44 LittleMe

Tom wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 16:18:
Still have no idea why someone would play this instead of BC2...

To name a few reasons... Jets, it's free, much lower system requirements, easier install, new(sort of) game release.

Don't underestimate the number of PC's out in the world with people ready and willing to install a free-to-play game. There are hundreds of millions of machines out there. Yes, BN's isn't the market for BF2-free.

1. U.S. develops -panic button- for democracy activists. Apr 1, 2011, 03:25 LittleMe

Democracy does not equal freedom. Don't buy into the corporate media propaganda that democracy, in and of itself, is wonderful. In a true democracy, 51% can vote %49 to death labor camps and that would be legal.

In a 'Republic' however, there is a rule of law hopefully based on inalienable rights which can't be taken away except by a slow and lengthy process where the minority is properly represented. Well, that's the hope anyway. I don't think Hillary understands this basic concept as the quote below indicates.

The U.S. technology initiative is part of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's push to expand Internet freedoms, pointing out the crucial role that on-line resources such as Twitter and Facebook have had in fueling pro-democracy movements in Iran, Egypt, Tunisia and elsewhere.

Oh and btw, this is a waste of public resources. The Internet doesn't need government to promote liberty on the Internet. The two are mutually exclusive.

4856 Comments. 243 pages. Viewing page 69.
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo