Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for russ

Real Name russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname pacbowl
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2005, 03:40
Total Comments 96 (Suspect)
User ID 23232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Ending Online Support for "Older" Games
11. Re: EA Ending Online Support for Jul 13, 2011, 05:27 pacbowl

entr0py wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 04:57:
I know everyone hates EA, but in this area would you expect any other company to act differently? If the game is still selling, there's obviously an incentive to keep the servers running. But would a different publisher keep running servers for a 6 year old racing game that's mostly played offline?

The problem isn't that they aren't running their own servers, it's that they aren't allowing anyone to run private servers either. If I buy BF2142 and want to host my own public BF2142 server then I should be able to for as long as I feel like it. If EA doesn't want to host the master server list then fine, but don't prevent another party from doing so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo "Horrendous Mistake"
26. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo Jun 11, 2011, 06:53 pacbowl

bigspender wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 20:40:
Molyneux is a smug moron that knows nothing making a decent game.

But, but Populous was good

News Comments > id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing
24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 9, 2011, 03:36 pacbowl

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 22:13:
TRANSLATION:

ID never learned to make a game other then a shoot a monster and shoot a player. Even CTF had to be added by a mod. Now people think they stink becuase their games are 15 years old when new. Carmack is a fossil.

CTF, not to mention VWEP

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
135. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 22:23 pacbowl

I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a console port. Sure, they may have added some options for consoles but it sure plays and feels like every Source engine game going all the way back to HL2.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 11, 2011, 03:17 pacbowl

Gymper wrote on Apr 10, 2011, 20:09:
To bad they removed the multi from both DS1/2.

Edit: Multi - Both Internet and LAN versions are removed. Though, rumor on the Steam board is that there is a way to re-enable.

Are you fucking serious? Really? I had MUCH more fun running through DS1 with a couple friends than I EVER did SP. God, Fuck that. Shit that really pisses me off, even LAN? That makes me want to punch someone. I was thinking about preordering 3 but fuck them then.

If it's not obvious, yeah I'm upset. Half of the fun of the DS series was easily in MP.

News Comments > Cities XL 2011 Patch
1. Re: Cities XL 2011 Patch Feb 26, 2011, 03:19 pacbowl

I played the hell out of the demo they had. It's fun for a simcity type game but once you get past the learning "hump" of the few first levels it gets really easy. Might as well play Cityville on Facebook for free at that point.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Whodunit
10. Re: Half-Life 2 Whodunit Feb 21, 2011, 23:51 pacbowl

Sepharo wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 22:08:
Verno wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 21:27:
The Half-Life 2 source code wasn't even compilable into anything resembling what you would consider a playable build.

I beg to differ, I got many hours of enjoyment out of it. If you didn't spend 10+ hours in the physics map with the plinko machine then you're crazy. It even had the glue gun function that would later show up in gary's mod.

Man.. I had soooooooo much fun with that and was pretty bummed when they didn't have anything like it in the release.

News Comments > Vaporware 2010
10. Re: Black Mesa Jan 3, 2011, 12:09 pacbowl

Blue wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 10:31:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 10:29:
Volunteers or not... a Vapor reward is warranted, in this case, and IMO.
What did one mod team do to earn the scorn of a major tech publication?

Well they did set the bar pretty high in claiming to completely re-do the original HL with the source engine. (and I don't mean the HL port into source from Valve)

I've been chomping at the bit for this one to come out too.

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
10. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 03:35 pacbowl

Xirix wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 02:06:
..it must be the gameplay right?

Minecraft is similar to Infiniminer, which is similar to Manic Digger, which is similar to Cubelands, which is similar to Roblox, which on the high end is similar to Cube 2. Minecraft is just the latest to go mainstream with an actual survival mode. Not to mention it's lots of fun.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
52. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 00:40 pacbowl

space captain wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:57:
pacbowl wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:46:
Why is tipping based on the monetary value of the meal? Nobody has even been able to answer this question on any tipping thread I've seen.

a tip is supposed to be relative to the amount of work involved, which is directly related to the number of people served, and typically more people = more money spent.. its also supposed to represent a quality level, altho generally that seems more like an idealism than practicality

Maybe it's different in other areas, but I was raised on the idea that the receipt total+level of service determines the overall tip, and of course it's going to change on a case-by-case basis and be determined by the overall situation. Do you tip the same amount every time? All you've explained is what a tip is supposed to be and the basic idea behind it. I get that, the more people and the higher the service equals more tip, and I do tip. What I want to know is why the total receipt amount determines the tip and how that came about, because it means if you order cheaper meals=receipt total=lower tip. No more, no less. Unfortunately it seemed to have hit a nerve. I'm not looking for a fight

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
3. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 20, 2010, 23:42 pacbowl

teehee. I've had 3 close friends both thank and condemn me for introducing them to this game.

I run a small server, like 4 or 5 regulars, and there is a severe performance reduction even connecting locally. I'm sure it will be addressed though. This game is the bees knees.

48. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 23:32 pacbowl

space captain wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:57:
pacbowl wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:46:
Why is tipping based on the monetary value of the meal? Nobody has even been able to answer this question on any tipping thread I've seen.

a tip is supposed to be relative to the amount of work involved, which is directly related to the number of people served, and typically more people = more money spent.. its also supposed to represent a quality level, altho generally that seems more like an idealism than practicality

I understand that. I'm not against tipping, I'm just looking for a justification on why, if I'm a single diner, if I order the $15 three item seafood combo with iced tea and a slice of cake that totals $21.change I am expected to tip more (based on the receipt total) than a classic burger, homefries, a water and a slice of cheaper apple pie that totals $13.change. The server didn't work any harder on refills, didn't bring out more plates than they usually would and didn't refill my drink any more. I'm in Cali, so I used to tip tax X 2 per standards but since the tax increases it's gone up. So be it, but my question still stands.

37. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 19:46 pacbowl

Why is tipping based on the monetary value of the meal? Nobody has even been able to answer this question on any tipping thread I've seen. Does it take more effort for the server to bring out a $13 shrimp and pasta dish versus a $7 burger and fries? Why should I be expected to tip more just because one meal is more expensive than another? In fact, a server will get a smaller tip if the customer orders a bunch of small items rather than a few more expensive meals, even though the server has to work harder to bring out more items. There has to be a better way to do it.  

News Comments > Battle for Freedom Announced
3. Re: Battle for Freedom Announced Dec 9, 2010, 21:56 pacbowl

Battle for Savage?  

News Comments > Stargate Games Returned to Cheyenne
5. Re: Stargate Games Returned to Cheyenne Nov 10, 2010, 17:50 pacbowl

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2010, 16:58:
Indeed.

Too funny. Channeling Teal'c?

News Comments > TRON: Evolution Trailer
6. Re: TRON: Evolution Trailer Sep 7, 2010, 16:15 pacbowl

I knew Creston was a Tron fan when he started using that avatar.
I'm a Tron fan too. I do some work for Disney Imagineering on occasion and am having them squirrel away some Tron memorabilia for me.

I'd enjoy a tie in game. Just like I enjoyed the way the Animatrix tied into the movies.

News Comments > Blur Freeze Trailer
2. Re: Blur Freeze Trailer Jun 4, 2010, 03:12 pacbowl

Heh, with the way I drive the whole game would end up slo-mo like that.  

News Comments > Split/Second Interview
3. Re: Split/Second Interview May 24, 2010, 18:19 pacbowl

The demo is kinda fun. Once.

Reminds me a lot of Burnout. But it's so consolized I can't find a way to change the screen rez. It's locked at like 1024.

News Comments > BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business
3. Re: BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business May 20, 2010, 22:15 pacbowl

Agreed. My last 2 cards have been BFG and I sing nothing but praise for them.  

News Comments > Alpha Protocol DRM Details
9. Re: Alpha Protocol DRM Details May 2, 2010, 18:05 pacbowl

Actually it sound like you can manage your "account" with your cd key and can deactivate a license even if the OS crashes or your hardware fails. That seems pretty cool.  

96 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo