Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for russ

Real Name russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname pacbowl
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2005, 03:40
Total Comments 96 (Suspect)
User ID 23232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 03:18 pacbowl

This all brings up an interesting point. Controllers. If you can truly use a mouse/kb on the Steambox for FPS, how will that affect the online experience against the ones using controllers.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
45. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 01:20 pacbowl

Asmodai wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 18:46:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 18:41:
nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 13:55:
edit: Oh, and go buy Sleeping Dogs!

Or don't. That game was abysmally boring and the stiff animations were hilariously bad.

Umm, don't think we're talking about the same game here, SD was incredible imo... =\

I agree. I had loads of fun, it's like an Asian GTA with better hand to hand combat. It's one of the few games I have played till the end.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
21. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:22 pacbowl

Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:41:
Kedyn wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:28:
My only question is why isn't there 100 comments already about how excited people are for another Homeworld game?

Because Homeworld is 14 years old and was so unloved no one snapped it up in the first round of THQ's bankruptcy. The 1.35 million dollars that Gearbox paid for the rights was probably dug up in the cushions of Randy Pitchford's custom designed Borderlands couch. The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game. The code for the original game was released many years ago and no one did jack with it. How unloved does a game have to be for that to happen?

It may not have sold well, but I definitely wouldn't say it's unloved. In fact I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad thing about it. Post anything Homeworld on any gaming forum and suddenly everyone is waxing nostalgic.

News Comments > America's Army Beta Signups
14. Re: America's Army Beta Signups Apr 9, 2013, 01:05 pacbowl

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 23:23:
Killswitch wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 23:03:
Can't find anything recent, but it was reported in 2009 the game had cost taxpayers $32.8 million.

Now in a somewhat informed defense here...that money would've been taken whether the game existed or not, as the game itself takes roughy ~7-8% of the entirety of the Army recruitment and advertising budget. It's also highly unlikely that the game used the full amount that report states.

I don't have any sources but I heard this argument back on the old AA forums and someone worked out it cost each taxpayer like a quarter per year to keep this going. I don't really mind that.

13. Re: America's Army Beta Signups Apr 9, 2013, 00:59 pacbowl

Flatline wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 22:51:
pacbowl wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 21:13:
I was heavily into this game several years ago and had probably logged over a thousand hours on Pimpline and Hospital. They kept tweaking and tweaking the engine until it was nearly impossible to hit anything even when prone. That's when I dropped it.

In a war environment, that's probably pretty realistic. In Afghanistan you're looking at like 250,000 bullets fired per casualty inflicted.

That's why I kept to the close quarters type maps. An indoor map with objectives that have to be completed in 15 minutes encourages a run-n-gun style of gameplay, with the occasional strategic pause. When you're crouch-walking down a hallway and see opfor come around the corner only for both of you to empty your clips trying to hit one another (even on single shot), something is wrong. The whole thing became a 203 nadefest.

3. Re: America's Army Beta Signups Apr 8, 2013, 21:13 pacbowl

I was heavily into this game several years ago and had probably logged over a thousand hours on Pimpline and Hospital. They kept tweaking and tweaking the engine until it was nearly impossible to hit anything even when prone. That's when I dropped it.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
38. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 11, 2013, 07:51 pacbowl

I actually liked the music. It went along with the video and wasn't the usual pop song.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Rising?
12. Re: Dead Rising 3 Rising? Jan 8, 2013, 07:21 pacbowl

Maybe it's just me but I got sick of the AI. Too many times I would be leading people back to the safehouse only to have them kill each other by getting in their own LOS.  

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
28. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 03:54 pacbowl

I finally finished it after a few weeks off and on. It was fun although I didn't do a lot of vehicle battles. The trip was fun but the ending needed more.

pop rockets

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
16. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:13 pacbowl

User 573413_metro3ad already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

heh

News Comments > Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable
45. Re: Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable Oct 17, 2012, 20:51 pacbowl

How about running No Script? It blocks auto-redirects too.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
69. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 22:08 pacbowl

Downloading at the moment, but am still confused on the qualitative/quantitative differences between Black Mesa and Half-Life Source...? Like, for instance, what makes this better than HL Source?

Half-Life Source is just the same HL game but ported to a newer engine. (same textures, maps, environments, etc..) Except for the underlying engine there is no difference between HL and HL:S.

Black Mesa however is a complete remake (re-imagining?) of Half Life. The modders basically re-made HL from scratch. They made new models, new maps, new textures and added certain creative liberties (like there is a new window and office in the short hallway where Barney lets you in right after you get off the opening tram ride) so while it's not exactly the same, it's close enough.

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
56. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 18:01 pacbowl

Speaking of Revolution, nbc.com is streaming the whole pilot.

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/pilot/1415378

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Progress Report
20. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 04:24 pacbowl

I have a feeling that any hack-n-slash game that resembles Diablo at all will do very well at this point. Until they do something to fix it, D3 can do nothing but go further into the gutter.  

News Comments > Diablo III Down for Patching
10. Re: Diablo III Down for Patching Jun 19, 2012, 12:48 pacbowl

Is this the patch that fixes the rampant spamming and the broken ignore list?  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
27. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 24, 2012, 03:15 pacbowl

I read it that way too. An i7 as minimum? WTF is that shit?  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Mar 30, 2012, 18:19 pacbowl

Apparently it's Free2Play, let's just hope they do it right like Team Fortress 2 instead of Pay2Win.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record
5. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 01:36 pacbowl

Bbbbbbut what about piracy? Record numbers? Oh yeah they are lost sales and the numbers should be double what they are. Right?  

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
25. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:05 pacbowl

I love the LOL and Very Short servers, sometimes. Some of them can be very entertaining once you get the "trick" down, but a lot of the time some maps have shortcuts which will shave several seconds off your time, even if you run it as intended. What really grinds my gears are the maps that have no clear route to take, like you pull out of a loop or those wall-high turns and there's no way to tell where to go next. Just a big open area and if you don't happen to be following someone who's played it before you go in the entirely wrong direction.  

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
22. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 02:41 pacbowl

IMO they need to clear up the confusion between all the versions. They have Trackmania United, Trackmania Forever, Trackmania Nations, Trackmania Sunrise and Steams Trackmania Nations Forever, all of which are a mix of paid and free versions. It can be very confusing for someone new to the series to find out what exactly they are getting without researching it first. Here's hoping it's not that way with TM2. And I hope track designers create more than a bunch of full-speed stadium maps.  

96 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo