Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant

Real Name Grant   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmodai
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 2, 2005, 22:47
Total Comments 360 (Amateur)
User ID 23219

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
7. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 11, 2014, 19:39 Asmodai

Task wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:05:
Its time to get the Irrational Games team back together. Its time for System Shock 3. SHODAN is still out there... somewhere.

They'll turn it in to an abortion like the Syndicate reboot was...

/pines for the fjords System Shock 2

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
15. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Plans Aug 7, 2014, 20:17 Asmodai

I know it's LFR and you could faceroll 40 man content with 10 real players and 30 null zones, but I can't help but think just how fucking hilarious a full strength level 90 Baron Geddon is going to be...

"Bomb!"

/half the raid dies

People are used to solo farming MC now, I think that might result in a few hilarious wipes even in the kiddie pool of LFR...

News Comments > Firefall Launches
8. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 23:40 Asmodai

It's not a huge advantage, the gear at a certain level is fairly flat between normal and epic (typically higher tier gear has more more slots but there is no flat +dmg mod, just ROF, which effects DPS).

JV is slightly wrong though, you can convert red beans to credits per the method I described (RB for crystite, crystite for credits).

I wouldn't worry about "pay 2 win" too much here, the advantage of gear is minimal. I can do lvl 40 content on a 28 recluse no sweat, so while you do grow in power, it's not the same as WoW where a 70 would have zero chance against a 90.

The game does have some storyline missions/instances, some are quite fun. Honestly, it's free to play and have a look at, if you think Tribes + mmo + lots of things to shoot sounds like fun, the only thing you have to do is download the client and install. ; )

News Comments > Firefall Launches
4. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 21:41 Asmodai

Nah, it works like this.

Crystite - In game currency
Credits (used on AH) - Can only be purchased for crystite
Red Beans (cash currency) - Purchased via money from Red 5, or from other players with Crystite
Vouchers - Quest rewards in game, used to purchase gear from vendors

All gear in game is either drop, purchased from vendors with vouchers or bought from the AH with credits. Ostensibly, you could buy red beans, trade for crystite then trade crystite for credits to purchase stuff off the commodities exchange (not a typical AH), so technically yes, you can buy gear with "real money" if you are willing to do two exchanges to get it.

Red beans are only used for cosmetic items, boosts, naf in game shit like drinks and fireworks and VIP time, so you can grind crystite and sub for VIP time if you wish.

Unfortunately, despite the departure of Mark Kern (Grummz), the dev team is still playing fast and loose with major changes right up to (and I'm guessing beyond) release. They recently screwed around with quest XP for lower level frames in higher level areas because people were exploiting a static event to grind 1-40 rapidly afk. Now, even if you can do 40 content in a 25 (you can, I have), you get fuck all rewards for it, and so are consigned to the "appropriate area" until you get to the right level to proceed. Pretty annoying all up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 09:37 Asmodai

A friend of ours owns a blue tongue (easy enough to obtain in Aus where they are native) and it's a lazy log warmer... Literally doesn't do much of anything.

Bearded dragons (also something we have locally) seem a bit more involved.

Here's a local backyard hack show with a review of the 3 varieties in Aus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1lHR6NIHyU

Edit: Here's the original segment with the extra text which has some care tips etc.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Others/Bearded-Dragons/364

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
2. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 09:28 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 09:14:
Do the questions provide colour coded responses?

+1 genuine lol

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 10:08 Asmodai

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 09:52:
He may be a non-gamer but this sounds very much in line with Facebook's motivations as a company to me:

“Imagine a shared universe MMORPG, expressly operated by a company that *already knows all your friends*, that's trying to maximize your engagement (‘hey, all your friends are playing right now, don't you want to join too?’), selling your attention to advertisers, and by the way, also building a detailed profile on everything you do so they can do all of this even better in the future. It's okay, go on doing whatever you want, we just want to watch! (Through your own eyeballs if possible).”

That was his point I think, rather than developing AR where you actually go some place and "play" live with your friends, you're more likely to be physically isolated by VR.

The paragraph you quoted wasn't what he wanted, it's where he sees the whole thing going and that's what he doesn't like.

And Blue, the article didn't say he wasn't a gamer, just that he wasn't a fan of online gaming. Unless there is some clarification, it might be a bit soon to be pegging him as "non gamer".

I'd hazard he's thinking something along the lines of LARP'ing in the park or LAN'ing, using AR to get everyone in to a game together in person, but that's just my speculation. Regardless, there's plenty of room in the market for either product, and yeah, I don't think Zuckerberg is going to be good for OR.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
4. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Jun 12, 2014, 10:00 Asmodai

They need to update the shopfront. Tabbed browsing so you aren't constantly losing your place everytime you go back, ability to search far better, including disabling inclusion of greenlights etc.

The fucking SNR in Steam atm is just stupid...

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
4. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 09:59 Asmodai

Ffs, they couldn't find a work experience kid somewhere that would come hang out for the day, play the game unlocked and say "well, this is the shit that happened."??

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 11:08 Asmodai

InBlack wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:15:
My point was that one man's decision to stand up in front of a court, a kangaroo court if there ever was one, and have his say changed the course of history for one nation more than anything anyone ever before him did. In today's day and age of self gratification, self protection, self esteem and ME ME ME culture, what is the ultimate sign of protest? A selfless sacrifice. I dont know, thats just me. I would follow a man like that. One who runs away? Dunno about that....

You think that defying his government, leaving his home country with the significant possibility of never being able to return and being an internationally wanted man who can never relax isn't enough of a damn sacrifice?

Sure, Mandela was a hell of a guy, but that doesn't mean every person who stands up has to do what he did for people to see their stand is worth making.

News Comments > Fable Anniversary for PCs Teased
8. Re: Fable Anniversary for PCs Teased Jun 3, 2014, 02:20 Asmodai

Funnily enough, my experience was the reverse. Fable 1 was quite a bit of fun whereas Fable 3 was a contrived POS and the only redeeming quality was John Cleese's voice acting...

That being said, I played Fable 1 on the PC... Graphics were fine, not sure why there's really a need for this other than to milk some cash...

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins
14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 30, 2014, 10:13 Asmodai

Darks wrote on May 30, 2014, 09:59:
All I can say about this is, this is why these assholes take advantage of you all and change these kinds of ridiculous prices for early access. I don’t mind spending money on a game, but not being raked over the coals at the same time too.

I don't understand how a person can be taken advantage of when what you see is what you get, and you are in control of your wallet...

If it were a bait and switch, then you might have a point, but everything I've seen and heard speaks very highly of Elite:Dangerous.

And of course there's the little factor that the costly alpha and beta entrance fees are contributing money towards the development of the game. Enthusiasts want to see this game come out, and they want it to be great, so they are willing to pony up some extra cash to make that happen...

When you consider just how much time you could get out of Elite, the cost looks much more reasonable. Hell, I've paid over 100 bucks for a plate of food, something that only lasted a couple of hours. I am by no stretch of the imagination wealthy, but not everyone wets their pants at the sight of a cost in the three figures for something they enjoy...

News Comments > Hearthstone Balance Change Plans
2. Re: Hearthstone Balance Change Plans May 8, 2014, 10:05 Asmodai

eRe4s3r wrote on May 8, 2014, 09:56:
The hunter wild-animal synergies in general are imbalanced, it's not just unleash the hounds.

No other deck has that many synergies that you can combine with on-death +stat minions and mana cost of 3 makes 0 fucking difference! So it's played 1 turn later, whoopy fucking do. That actually means it has even worse impact.

Arena mode is the only way to play this game, but sadly you can get really fucked over by the random draw there too ;p

Yeah, I've been trying to make a go of rogue decks and even though I have a decent number of cards to run some serious damage, ultimately if you're a rogue or mage, over rank 20 need not apply.

And I'm not enamoured of grinding quests just to get a shit draw in arena and have nothing to show for it... =\

Dunno, the game balance seems off for more than just hunters atm...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 04:50 Asmodai

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 01:58:
So... Do you play fighting games and racing games with the keyboard? Even Assassin's Creed or Batmam: Arkham kinds of games I can't stand to not use a gamepad with

Fighting games, yes. Works well.

Driving games, no, I use a joystick or a wheel rather than a gamepad, the longer throw allows for much finer control of movement. Gamepads are very limited in this regard.

The point you are building up to is almost as senseless as Rattle's rants. It is not a binary decision. You can put in great control systems that are not mutually exclusive. It's been done numerous times, it's not fucking rocket surgery.

So yes, when a dev promises that the PC is the base platform, you kinda sorta infer that it would have decent support for M&KB. It can have great controller support as well, and you're welcome to use it, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a crappy implementation.

edit: And already the WSGF are working on a 3 screen fix...

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3mhqmca3.zdf.jpg

Hayden has mentioned the plugin should be up sometime today.

When you combine that with Durante's image quality fix, we're already had two major steps forward made by the community within hours of release... Things that would be much easier to fix working on the game directly (ie. not having to reverse engineer the system) if the devs weren't lazy fucking douchecunts...

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 05:13.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 04:45 Asmodai

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 01:38:
Redesigning the entire mechanics to suit the keyboard and mouse scheme is ridiculous. I don't get where people get this notion that this would happen. The game is meant to be played with a controller.

Once again proving you're an ignorant moron... =)

DSMFix for DS1 made the M/KB control system superior to the controller. Easily destroyed much higher level/equipped invaders with my lowbie thief purely by running circles around them and backstabbing the shit out of them constantly. No complete redesign required, just some tweaking of config files.

You might want to think twice about shooting your mouth off with your head up your ass, it might be painful... X D

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 04:41 Asmodai

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 01:20:
Who plays Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard? Where's the logic behind that? Of course a game like this is gonna be shit with a keyboard.

I do, and a 3rd person game with proper controls are very easy to play with mouse/keyboard. Given that games as far back as the original American McGee's Alice had competent 3rd person via m/kb, I wouldn't have expected it to be that big a challenge for modern game studios...

It's a 3rd person action adventure game, you know, games that are meant to be played with controllers. And because there's aiming of course a mouse and keyboard will have no purpose. Kind of like you wouldn't expect Zelda or Mario 64 to be good with a mouse or keyboard. Or devil may cry, or God of War, or any of type of those games.

Ahem, DSII is a locked perspective game, most of the games you list have viewpoints the change depending on the scene. Locked perspective games typically work well with M&KB as long as the controller scheme isn't shit...

Oh here's a good example, the entire fucking Tomb Raider series, most of which were designed for M&KB only.

You guys know you can plug any controller in and the game will recognize it right?

Yes, but how is that a good reason not to have good m&kb support? Your entire rant is "the controller is better for the game", which is debatable, but I guess if you're using a quadraplegic control system, a powered chair is better than motorbike... Designing a system with a crappy M&Kb implementation, is anyone surprised that that controller is superior currently?

Oh yea, PC gamer master can't be bothered with simple logic like that, after all everything should be designed around the awkward mouse and keyboard, especially a game like this.

Comprehensively proved that "other" games in the 3rd person work quite well with M&KB as long as the devs are willing to put in the effort to make it work.

I'm beginning to get the feeling you, however, cannot really use M&KB that well. There's a very good reason why games that are released for consoles and PC's generally don't share multiplayer, or why people buy things like mouse controllers for XB's and PS's. It's because console controllers can't compete on level footing with mouse/keyboards (ie. no autoaim etc).

Lol "oh boohoo i spent 50 bucks knowing a game meant for a controller and I still played on the shitty mouse and keyboard. The developers are assholes waaaaah I can't figure out the basic idea of plugging in a controller waaah."

Fucking morons, do you know how stupid you guys sound when you bitch about M+K controls for this? I mean it's almost like you guys loved to screw yourselves over, just so you have more to bitch about. It baffles my mind really. No matter how much you customize the key bindings, it's still gonna be awkward as hell, it's simply how the game is made.

Yes, it's a terrible crime to want to play a difficult game only to run smack bang in to a bunch of devs too fucking lazy to do the right thing and make the controls workable for either system.

But as long as there are ignorant twunts like you around to defend them, I guess they're doing the right thing...=)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 23, 2014, 18:45 Asmodai

I can't even work out what I'm interested in with Steam anymore. The fucking signal to noise ratio with all this greenlight shit makes it difficult to find a game that baits me enough to investigate reviews...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
139. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 21:21 Asmodai

Let us all cast our mind back to when Braben pitched Elite:Dangerous with an alpha at 250 odd quid or whatever it was and very little to show up front...

The usual suspects on Blues tore it a new asshole.

Now, it's the exemplar and SC is trash...

Seriously guys, the bug up your butt is getting poked by the stick up your ass. No one is twisting your arms to buy in to it and you're welcome to your opinions, but the bitter intolerance around here makes the Westboro baptist assholes look positively egalitarian...

Worst case scenario, it pans out to be a messy pile of crap, it's cost you nothing. But if it actually turns out to be a great game, you might even enjoy playing it. Funded by all those 'idiot fanbois'...

Or hey, we could just go back to playing retread COD clones ad infinitum...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 9, 2014, 08:45 Asmodai

IE is an ongoing fucking disaster for corporations...

IE9 installed by MS SCCM = disables access to user profiles unless you apply 5 file and registry permission tweaks. 10 and 11 break all sorts of functionality you come to take for granted in the earlier versions (you know, the sort of thing you base your entire corporation around like intranet pages, printer connection via webpage, service desk systems built in activeX etc...

Microsoft comes up with some awesome stuff at times, but this whole "let's freshen it up by changing everything" BS is getting really old.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
20. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2014, 21:53 Asmodai

@Axis

Well since the GFC (started by corps and rich people) fucked the entire planet up the arse, I guess Obama is right about something...

Either which way, the long/short of it is that once a gov. has power, they almost never concede it. It's not in their nature. And the US is still sinking deeper because the people won't give up their partisanship...

Ultimate, the responsibility falls to the voters. Allowing reps to redraw their electoral districts to ensure they get reelected for example. As long as the people stay silent (or vocal on the internet which is almost as useless), the gov. regardless of party will keep doing whatever it wants. If you act like sheep, eventually you'll get fleeced...

360 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo