Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant

Real Name Grant   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmodai
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 2, 2005, 22:47
Total Comments 343 (Amateur)
User ID 23219

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
139. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 21:21 Asmodai

Let us all cast our mind back to when Braben pitched Elite:Dangerous with an alpha at 250 odd quid or whatever it was and very little to show up front...

The usual suspects on Blues tore it a new asshole.

Now, it's the exemplar and SC is trash...

Seriously guys, the bug up your butt is getting poked by the stick up your ass. No one is twisting your arms to buy in to it and you're welcome to your opinions, but the bitter intolerance around here makes the Westboro baptist assholes look positively egalitarian...

Worst case scenario, it pans out to be a messy pile of crap, it's cost you nothing. But if it actually turns out to be a great game, you might even enjoy playing it. Funded by all those 'idiot fanbois'...

Or hey, we could just go back to playing retread COD clones ad infinitum...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 9, 2014, 08:45 Asmodai

IE is an ongoing fucking disaster for corporations...

IE9 installed by MS SCCM = disables access to user profiles unless you apply 5 file and registry permission tweaks. 10 and 11 break all sorts of functionality you come to take for granted in the earlier versions (you know, the sort of thing you base your entire corporation around like intranet pages, printer connection via webpage, service desk systems built in activeX etc...

Microsoft comes up with some awesome stuff at times, but this whole "let's freshen it up by changing everything" BS is getting really old.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
20. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2014, 21:53 Asmodai

@Axis

Well since the GFC (started by corps and rich people) fucked the entire planet up the arse, I guess Obama is right about something...

Either which way, the long/short of it is that once a gov. has power, they almost never concede it. It's not in their nature. And the US is still sinking deeper because the people won't give up their partisanship...

Ultimate, the responsibility falls to the voters. Allowing reps to redraw their electoral districts to ensure they get reelected for example. As long as the people stay silent (or vocal on the internet which is almost as useless), the gov. regardless of party will keep doing whatever it wants. If you act like sheep, eventually you'll get fleeced...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 8, 2014, 19:22 Asmodai

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:35:
Great app. Cueue the whining about people worried about sex offenders' privacy in 3...2...

Yeah, particularly all those sexting teens and those charged with stat rape from long term pre-18 couples who are unfortunate enough to be ageing like the rest of us...

The old "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" line should have died when McCarthy did...

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
10. Re: Browser-related freezing fixed? Jan 7, 2014, 17:27 Asmodai

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:27:
Does this release contain the fix for browser-related freezing on 400 and 500 series cards that was in the beta?

I was following a thread on the forum where a guy was testing 331 drivers and claims they have been rocksteady irt to the browser crash issue. 314 was the previous last stable driver iirc.

However, what fucks me up beyond all belief is that, for surround users, nVidia used to let the winkey-p option (change monitor output settings) control whether you wanted surround or single monitor (select duplicate). Since 331, they have implemented their own "shortcut" and turned off the winkey integration. Sum result, the rapid switch that was so easy is now non functional.

Also, all drivers post 327ish now blackscreen and hardlock your system on titles that try to enter surround mode but aren't particularly compatible. Previously, you'd just get a hideously stretched display but you could recover from it. And Geforce Experience is poo, 3 out of the four times letting it update has resulted in corrupted drivers.

But on the plus side, since 331, I'm not crashing every 15 f#cking minutes in PS2... And for all the spousal abuse nvidia engage in, their drivers are still better than the radeon ones.

Might give these a whirl in a week or so.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
11. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 17:22 Asmodai

Not really much to complain about here, most SOE titles are F2P with sub options and the parcel of games you get to play for 15 bucks a month is extensive.

Don't need to sub if you don't want to, but if you do, you get enhanced benefits in a bunch of titles. Seems smart for them and good for the customer.

News Comments > Daylight Trailer
8. Re: Daylight Trailer Jan 6, 2014, 17:20 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:42:
Why are they carrying a bible? What's that going to do? Smush any cockroaches that crawl on you? Use it to light a fire? Can't see where it'd be of any other help. TP maybe.

Because a make believe religion might have a place in a make believe game? \= )

News Comments > Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials
8. Re: Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials Dec 29, 2013, 17:00 Asmodai

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:13:
I got Alan Wake and all related content for $1.00 on a Humble Weekly Sale, months ago. Overall I really enjoyed the game.

The atmosphere, and mood of the game world is very well done. It's an odd mix of X-Files, Twin Peaks, and Twilight Zone. The only thing that keeps me from really raving about the game is that the combat gets extremely repetitive.

It was a strange experience, because I was so hooked on the story and the atmosphere, that I forced myself to finish it even though I wasn't enjoying the combat. I almost wished I had just put it on the super easy mode to just basically watch it.

I have not tried American Nightmare, but if I do, I might just play it like that.

American Nightmare is more action adventure/combat than storyline. Was a bit of a disappointment after the first one.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2013, 04:47 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 20:02:
We've always been an Alsatian family. They're the best dogs there are. Period.

And my wife had about a half of her cheek removed by a docile old one when she was five.

We own a pit bull cross who has never harmed anyone and used to lie down with our son when he was a baby, keeping an eye on him.

The moral of the story is that dogs are animals and animals are innately unpredictable. We take chances with them and a loving pet can turn in to a monster in no time at all, even the best loved and well treated ones.

And on that slightly preachy note, Merry Xmas from downunder guys!

News Comments > Christmas Eve Consolidation
12. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 25, 2013, 00:19 Asmodai

I used a splitfish on the PS3 to play Uncharted and a few other games and despite it being clunky as shit, it made the games more playable than controller...

If I ever bother with a next gen (and honestly, their aren't any exclusive titles that really twig me right now), I'll be getting one of these. Why the fuck be a one legged, blind deaf mute when you can be a god?

News Comments > Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern
13. Re: Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern Dec 21, 2013, 04:56 Asmodai

I think the thing that got people excited about this game was the Pax2010 video preview. I know that was the hook for me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CdQmxH96M

That game looks far more enjoyable than the turd that is still floating now. Their biggest problem wasn't "making it like wow", it was redesigning character advancement entirely twice, redoing crafting from the ground up for very little actual gain, having a shit awful UI/inventory/crafting system (seriously, the inventory is fucking godawful) and then funneling you through rinse repeat content to get you to buy boosts...

I would have subbed for that game. And despite being a founder, I doubt I'll ever spend another buck on this piece of crap...

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Nov 29, 2013, 17:02 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:30:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:23:
How is State of Decay?

That was my next question.

It's a fun little roguelike sandbox. Still has a share of issues but the PC version has been patched up pretty well.

I don't know how much replay value you'll get from it once you complete it, I found after the first playthrough my interest dropped off sharply.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
33. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 27, 2013, 18:46 Asmodai

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 18:41:
nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 13:55:
edit: Oh, and go buy Sleeping Dogs!

Or don't. That game was abysmally boring and the stiff animations were hilariously bad.

Umm, don't think we're talking about the same game here, SD was incredible imo... =\

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
31. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 27, 2013, 18:46 Asmodai

Strangely enough, here in the southern hemisphere it's actually the Spring sale...

Same deals etc but different title/background.

The backdrop has a reversed map of the tropics/equator on it. =)

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 18:32 Asmodai

I think everyone should remember that CR/CIG only asked for $500,000 originally on their KS...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

And the ships in game are no different to a lot of KS promises (likeness in game, assist designing an area/item/quest etc, visit the devs).

Some people cough up the 10k odd to go have dinner with the devs, but I don't see large threads complaining that the devs are ripping them off.

I certainly believe that CR and co. have tapped in to some unique form of mass hysteria and at this point, they could create a flying turd space liner and it would probably sell another million bucks worth, but are we saying it's their fault that they are successful?

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2013, 22:13 Asmodai

I played quite a bit of it and even if you excuse the mediocre gameplay and the bugs (it's a pretty standard 3rd person action game), the lore wasn't particularly engrossing or memorable...

Compared to, say, Mass effect, where I can intimately remember details of side quests (let alone the main plot), Amalur isn't even a blip on the radar..

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
56. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 17:09 Asmodai

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:05:
Why do people talk about this as an investment? Aren't more traditional words like pre-order or purchase rather more applicable?

"I just invested $250 in Star Citizen, with a bit of luck within 2 years I'll have made $0 back and within 10 years, a cool $0!"

The "return" is a game that they want to play and will derive enjoyment out of. Much like a philanthropist 'investing' by creating scholarships or grants, the return is not a dollar value but an intangible thing.

Of course, mileage varies, I have "invested" enough to buy 1 super hornet (around $155) after melting a kickstart freelancer, and that's it. The most I've ever spent in one shot on a game was the 250 grand master pack for TSW (and that was a total waste of cash). If the game is as good as we all hope it should be, I'll just acquire what I need in game.

The player association I am a member of (theoldergamers.com) though, has over 100 members and last count put us at over 45 thousand USD worth of imaginary ships including 1 Idris M and 3 Idris P corvettes... And that count was prior to the current sales so I would expect that's it's probably gone up to the tune of 5-10k).

I don't get it personally, but we are indeed talking about older nerds with shitloads of disposable income to throw at their hobby.

News Comments > Trove Announced; Alpha Signups
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 09:13 Asmodai

Rigs wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 21:10:
*quickly stuffs 3D voxels under the couch cushion...

How about flat-shaded poly...no, that's been done...ok, what about texture mapped-....no, no, been done too...OH! Oh, oh! why not take a flat-shaded polygon and normal map -...DAMMIT!

This 'next big thing' shit is hard work!

=-Rigs-=

*grin*

Unless I see me some quantum state mapping, /meh!

News Comments > Trove Announced; Alpha Signups
1. Re: Trove Announced; Alpha Signups Nov 15, 2013, 20:45 Asmodai

I'm officially voxel sandbox burnt out...

EQ:Next Landmark didn't even twig my interest. Come on people, time for the "next big thing".

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Pandora: First Contact
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Pandora: First Contact Nov 15, 2013, 18:32 Asmodai

WE MUST DISSENT!

Because honestly, I have way too many fucking games already...

/loads the walletapult and aims at monitor

343 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo