Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Infinity Ward on MW2 Server Petitions
29. Re: Infinity Ward on MW2 Server Petitions Oct 20, 2009, 14:26 spindoctor

Getting rid of the people who make a big public stink and cause them bad press makes sense because they might make a lot more money in the long run from DLC to the people who don't care about these issues.

You're still stuck with the assumption that bad press means more to them than lost sales.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Infinity Ward on MW2 Server Petitions
24. Re: Infinity Ward on MW2 Server Petitions Oct 20, 2009, 13:07 spindoctor

Someone on a different forum had an interesting theory about this I read last night. What if this was on purpose to get rid of the whiners who bitch about wanting all DLC for free? They then get to control the hosting and distribution chain for the multiplayer. Then they can go crazy selling PC maps to the people who will invariably buy it no matter what just because "OMG CALL OF DUTY!". DLC profits are much higher than box sales in ratio, they just need volume now like on the consoles.

I think this argument is wrong. Give them a choice between ONE extra copy sold which earns them 60$, and an internet petition with 100,000 signatures... and they would still choose that one extra sale. The point being, they will not want to 'get rid of the whiners' at all... Those whiners would still net them 60$ for the game. The people who would buy the DLC will. The people who wouldn't will not. There is no difference there... so there is no point to filtering out sales for the base game.

News Comments > Machinarium & Demo Now Available
4. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 16:25 spindoctor

As it turns out, I was well past half way through. Just completed it, and the playthrough took 7.3 hours according to Steam's tracker. I must have spent a majority of that time being stuck on puzzles though, but in the end it was worth it just to experience this gem of a game.  

News Comments > Machinarium & Demo Now Available
2. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 14:13 spindoctor

The game is fabulous. I'm about half way through it and I'm loving it.

From a purely gameplay perspective, there are some weak points. There is a distinct lack of structure and flow to the game. It is often unclear what needs to be done in a particular scene. This is compounded by the fact that there are no dialogues in the game (neither text, nor voice). Which means that the player has to rely on visual clues to do everything, and those are not always apparent (at least to me) without using the inbuilt hint/walkthrough system. Sometimes the item required to solve a puzzle will only be available to you later on in the game and it requires some backtracking as well.

Having said that, these shortcomings pale into insignificance when one sees just how enchanting this game is. It is a labor of love in every sense of the word. The music is fabulous, the artwork is gorgeous, the atmosphere is brilliant. The puzzles are generally hard, but solving them is immensely satisfying. Some are random, but most are absolutely delightful. There are little touches that will bring a smile to your face every time... like how the robot starts dreaming of his girlfriend every time you leave him idle. Or how he starts dancing away when he's in a scene with music playing. Or something as simple as sliding down the railings instead of using the stairs to walk down. It's just adorable.

Indie Game of the Year as far as I'm concerned. Or close enough.

News Comments > EV Online becomes Xeno
1. Re: EV Online becomes Xeno Oct 19, 2009, 11:36 spindoctor

"unfair redirection of organic search to the competition"

Did they really just say that they think people searching for their game would accidentally go to Eve Online? More like people searching for Eve would come to them, which was probably the idea when the decided to name their game Ev in the first place.

News Comments > No MW2 Dedicated Server
2. Re: No MW2 Dedicated Server Oct 18, 2009, 12:26 spindoctor

Very poor decision by Infinity Ward. Forums all over the internet are erupting with PC gamers' displeasure.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Details
30. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Details Oct 15, 2009, 15:58 spindoctor

So the people who pre-order are actually paying for the demo, and the game incidentally happens to be free along with the paid demo? LOL  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Demo
6. Re: Wolfenstein Demo Oct 14, 2009, 22:59 spindoctor

I realize that opinions are subjective, but I do think the level they have put in the demo is probably the weakest one in the game. The single player portion of the game really starts getting good after the first 2-3 levels, and they have put in the 1st level of the game in the demo. Not sure why they did this, because I don't believe it accurately represents the quality of the game.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 14, 2009, 11:32 spindoctor

Guess they don't really know the meaning of the word 'boycott' after all  

News Comments > Pick Your Own World of Goo Price
16. Re: Pick Your Own World of Goo Price Oct 13, 2009, 16:47 spindoctor

It's DRM free.  

News Comments > L4D2 Campaigns Confirmed
6. Re: Zombieland Oct 13, 2009, 01:42 spindoctor

I could be wrong, anyone have more recent info on this?

There isn't any more info. Back then, Chet from Valve had mentioned that they would look at implementing some 'elegant' way for the 2 games to interface with each other. Since then there has been no mention of it, like you said.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 12, 2009, 03:15 spindoctor

It's amusing that people believe Valve is making up the statistics to promote their games. Do you people really believe that L4D2 is not the top selling game on Steam at this time? And how conveniently you forget almost all AAA titles make an appearance on the top sellers list around the time they are released, as would be expected from a new release. And then let's not forget that even obscure games can dethrone Valve titles from the top when they go on sale during Weekend Deals or something. Or the fact that Aion, a game that has nothing to do with Valve, was the top seller for about 3 months straight. I've seen people allude to the idea that NCSoft actually paid Valve to keep Aion at the top. Which, of course, is borderline insane. At that point, one has to wonder why people even bother to try and understand the statistics behind this top sellers list (or those from other digital distribution sites).  

News Comments > $25 Mil Left 4 Dead 2 Ad Campaign
3. Re: $25 Mil Left 4 Dead 2 Ad Campaign Oct 5, 2009, 22:34 spindoctor

... to ram their product down consumers throats

You make it sound like the consumer has no choice but to pay them money

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 PC Delay?
46. Re: Modern Warfare 2 PC Delay? Oct 5, 2009, 20:04 spindoctor

Not only that but from a QA perspective it takes much longer to QA a PC game given the wide variety of hardware and software configurations, whereas on consoles there is only 1 set of hardware and 1 piece of software that has to be QAd. I'm sure the QA process for the PC version alone is several weeks if not months more than that of the console versions.

On the other hand, console versions have to go through a long certification process with Microsoft/Sony, which isn't an issue for the pc version. That increases the QA time for console versions too.

News Comments > Aion Character Transfers
5. Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC Oct 5, 2009, 11:51 spindoctor

Blizzards approach when WoW servers were queued was, gasp! MORE SERVERS. Worked perfectly for them and completely blows this guys logic out of the water. Which is why I think my logic above is the true reason they dont open more servers.

Let's not forget that Blizzard vastly underestimated the load on their servers at launch as well. WoW also had server issues for many weeks after release. And to date, it's probably the only MMO where throwing more and more servers at it paid off, considering that it's success is... you know... unprecedented?

Not that NCSoft didn't mess up with this launch. They should have had an idea about their load from the preorder figures that they had, but they still chose to keep capacity below that. At least now they have been adding more and more servers every few days. I guess they could maybe offer a few subscription free days to affected users as a gesture too.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2009, 11:52.

News Comments > Borderlands Preorders
11. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 03:57 spindoctor

Have they said what sort of DRM this game is going to use, or if it's going to be hamstrung by GFWL?

Not sure what the DRM is, but it will be using GFWL for the co-op matchmaking.

News Comments > Aion Launch Q&A, Patch
4. Re: Aion Launch Q&A, Patch Oct 2, 2009, 07:53 spindoctor

I kind of like the no whispering until characters reach level 5.

Blizzard, steal this idea please.

Actually, this no whispering until level 5 is not going to make much of a difference. Most of these gold spammers are already leveling up to 5 so that they can use the chat channels to spam their nonsense as well.

Also, Blizzard already has a decent level on control on this nonsense. In their case, most gold spammers use free trial accounts, and WoW does not allow whispers to go out from trial accounts unless they are whispered first. Not to mention that if you do ever see a message from a gold seller, you can report and block them with a simple click, something that Aion has not implemented (which is bewildering).

edit - just found out that Aion has implemented the ability to block people in chat. The community manager posted it on Twitter yesterday. I guess the functionality was added with this patch.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2009, 08:44.

News Comments > Machinarium Demo
1. Re: Machinarium Demo Sep 30, 2009, 23:44 spindoctor

Short but fun demo. Puzzle/adventure/indie game fans should check it out.  

News Comments > No Prerelease MW2 Demo
3. Re: No Prerelease MW2 Demo Sep 29, 2009, 22:34 spindoctor

Very few games can get away without releasing a demo

Most games these days can and do get away without releasing a demo.

News Comments > L4D Crash Course Released, L4D Sale [Updated]
24. Re: L4D Crash Course Released Sep 29, 2009, 16:22 spindoctor

Just completed Crash Course in coop. Took me about 30 minutes. It was intense, fun, but ultimately, it was nothing really special. Not complaining though, more content is always welcome  

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo