Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > PC MW2 Outsells CoD4
37. Re: PC MW2 Outsells CoD4 Nov 21, 2009, 11:52 spindoctor

These sales percentages only count certain retail boxed sales in certain countries, it means about as much as saying it sold "fine" and leaving it at that, it means nothing. Once you count online boxed sales, online downloads and small countries I bet it takes up more than 10% put together.

You say it like every single sale of the game outside those reported is on the PC. While the actual numbers here might not be accurate, the trend is clear for all to see. Any sales that this (rather large) sample has missed out will probably follow the same ratios of console sales outnumbering the pc by 10:1 or some such ridiculous number. And either way... 10%, 15% or whatever... it is dwarfed by the console numbers.

We keep hearing from the gaming media that PC is dead and insignificant, but companies keep releasing their games on PC. Obviously they make a decent profit for the most part.

The 'PC gaming is dead' myth needs to go away. Having said that, it still is quite insignificant compared to the consoles. It's still viable, obviously, but it is losing importance.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: PC MW2 Outsells CoD4 Nov 21, 2009, 04:58 spindoctor

the wording is very misleading, on purpose i bet.

It seems fairly obvious to me, unless one chooses to misinterpret it and ignore common sense in the process.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2009, 04:58.

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
20. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 21, 2009, 02:39 spindoctor

When you buy a game, it specifically mentions that it's for personal use and not to be resold or used for commercial interests etc. But of course, people here would rather blame Valve and Activision than the cd key selling sites who are actually the ones doing something wrong.

If you buy a key, you should know that you are running a risk, no matter how small it may seem. If you didn't know, that's your fault, and the blame falls on your seller, not Steam.

19. Re: PC MW2 Outsells CoD4 Nov 20, 2009, 23:52 spindoctor

cod4 was a very popular pc fps game and has been out for awhile now, i cant believe mw2 pc outsold it in a week even with the hype.

It's a comparison of first week sales for both games, not lifetime sales for both.

13. Re: PC MW2 Outsells CoD4 Nov 20, 2009, 23:11 spindoctor

Mixed feelings about this news. On the one hand, it's good to see that all the whining didn't stop people from buying a fabulous game. However if you read the context of that particular thread (and look up a couple of articles about sales percentages), it really does prove just how insignificant the PC market is when it comes to sales. 6% of the first week retail sales were on the PC. Add in digital distribution and that figure probably goes up to 8-10%. Still outsold by consoles by a ratio of 10:1.  

News Comments > On the MW2 Airport Massacre
11. Re: On the MW2 Airport Massacre Nov 20, 2009, 11:00 spindoctor

I cannot figure out why people paid so much money for so little game (in a lot of ways)

I cannot see why people complain so much about a game they claim to not care about.

And by the way, the game has a lot to offer. It can't win with the closed minded, but most others who give it a chance seem to be enjoying it.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups
3. Re: Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups Nov 19, 2009, 21:38 spindoctor

What about people who have already signed up with both STO and Atari beta testing?

Yep I'd like to know too. I had already signed up for the closed beta, so I had a look around their site and couldn't find any other option to sign up for the open beta. If anyone finds such an option, please share it here.

News Comments > Dedicated Server Guide
2. Re: Dedicated Server Guide Nov 19, 2009, 11:19 spindoctor

Waiting for some clever mention of IW/MW2.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sales
37. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 18:31 spindoctor

So far SP has been very entertaining, MP is always fun (except for spawn campers), and the COOP missions ARE A BLAST. I think there are around 23 coop missions, for me that's worth the price itself. Played 3 of those with my buddy last night, phucking great time.

I agree. Spent 28 hours on the game since it unlocked on Steam last Thursday, and I am (unbelievably) ignoring Dragon Age and L4D2 in favor of this game. Spec ops is insane fun.. I've done 11 missions so far, and you know it's good when you go back and repeat them after completing the 3 stars requirement. Friend + voice com + spec ops is amazingly entertaining.

Almost as entertaining as throwing tantrums and whining about the game on forums /rimshot

News Comments > New MW2 PC Petition
6. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 16, 2009, 10:31 spindoctor

However, what the hell is this about:

"- Support for better Graphics"

I think it asks for better Graphics control. People seem to be under the impression that the graphics options in MW2 are far less than in COD4, when the actual difference is a grand total of 3 options - character detail, water detail and 'glow'.

News Comments > New MW2 PC Petition
2. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 16, 2009, 10:24 spindoctor

I can see why there's another petition. The last one was so successful, so why wouldn't they do it again?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
38. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 16, 2009, 10:18 spindoctor

Actually mr apologist, I'd call taking a shit on the entire PC gaming community because you forgot to do basic cdkey authentication in your last game a pretty big overreaction.

You're absolutely right Mr. Whiner . Taking unpopular decisions for a product they create (that you are not forced to buy) totally justifies death threats. Whatever was I thinking?

35. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 16, 2009, 09:55 spindoctor

The massive trolling of the IW forums? Trashing review scores and Amazon scores out of spite? Posting goatse on their boards? Death threats to an Infinity Ward employee and his family? Yea, I'd call that an overreaction.

Either you don't know about it, which makes you clueless, or you were the one who did it. Or you think it's ok. Take your pick.

30. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 16, 2009, 09:18 spindoctor

spindoctor go spin your filthy web somewhere else.

The truth hurts Especially to the clueless.

27. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 16, 2009, 06:25 spindoctor

People already purchased L4D2 - IN DROVES. They bought the 4 pack. It shouldn't surprise you that it isn't #1 when you can now buy it cheaper at gogamer.

I can't believe that many people paid 60.00 on MW2. It isn't THAT good. The shiny parts will wear out and rust quickly - and just like WaW, the majority of the community (the good community) will return to CoD4.

I guess I was just expecting L4D2 to regain top spot with so little time to release. However, this is the weekly sales chart, which includes the release window of MW2, so I guess it makes sense. I fully expect L4D2 to regain top spot in the daily lists within a day or so of it's release.

As for MW2, of course, people might not see it to be worth 60$ and that's fine. However, it still is a great game and it's good that people are enjoying it despite the overreaction of the PC community.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2009, 06:26.

24. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 16, 2009, 03:17 spindoctor

Kind of surprised that MW2 is outselling L4D2, especially so close to release. But it deserves to be there... good to see that a great game isn't being ignored because of the incessant whining and moaning.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Tomorrow
55. Re: MW2 Tomorrow Nov 9, 2009, 22:40 spindoctor

I realize its the B&M outlets that are being placated with the delayed release but at some point the publishers are going to need to take a stand. Gamestop/EB barely give any retail space to PC games to begin with so its not like they are losing a huge amount of cash against DD anyhow.

Be that as it may, they probably still sell more PC copies than digital distribution. Besides, Gamestop's leverage comes from the massive console sales it has.... the number of PC copies it carries hardly enters into the equation. Remember, Activision makes it's money on sales to Gamestop, and not from their sales to the individual customers. So they would want to keep them happy.

The question of why publishers can't be more firm is kind of cyclic. The retailers exercise their influence to ensure that digital distribution rates remain at MSRP, while they themselves will lower prices and attract more sales. The more sales they have, the more leverage they have and the they can keep pressing publishers to treat digital distribution as the step child, which benefits them and leads to more sales again.

I also read within the last few weeks that Gamestop has finally understood that they need a presence in the digital distribution market as well, and that they are shopping around. From what I read, Impulse and Metaboli are 2 of the prime candidates for acquisition.

50. Re: MW2 Tomorrow Nov 9, 2009, 18:45 spindoctor

I'll say one thing.....this is the last time I buy a highly anticipated AAA game on STEAM. Its a great service but, in the end, STEAM users are the absolute last customers who get to play the game on launch day.

What you say is usually true. Half the time their releases are delayed. The other half, well, the game unlocks on Steam during the afternoon or evening of the release date, while retail users can start playing as soon as stores open in the morning, or even earlier if the street date is broken. I personally don't care too much about a game unlocking a few hours later. In the grand scheme of things, it's too minor a point to worry about.

In the case of MW2 though, I think there is some politics involved in the reason why the game is delayed by 2 days. You've already seen the report of other digital distribution stores deciding to not carry the game. Activision probably doesn't care enough about them, as their sales will be pretty small. However, a few months ago, I read that Gamestop or Best Buy was also refusing to carry games which required Steam to play. They could have done that again this time, and Activision would have to sit up and take notice because these retailers are where the majority of their sales come. I think the delay might have been enforced to placate them more than anything else. On the other hand, Steam is the largest digital store as well as the focal point of all pc users (since the game is tied to Steam no matter where it's bought). They can't have been too happy with having to delay their own release. I can see Activision being caught between a rock and a hard place with 2 major partners, and I imagine the 2 day delay is an unhappy compromise for everyone involved.

49. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 18:36 spindoctor

I will see you all on piratebay ;o)

Most of this entire debacle (not all, but most) can be blamed on you.

News Comments > On the MW2 Street Date
5. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 8, 2009, 17:21 spindoctor

yet fucking Steam copyprotection won't let you "unlock" the game before the street date.

So retailers break the street date against the terms of their contract (which obviously cannot be enforced), and you bemoan how Steam has a better system of enforcing the street date and blame them for it.

Right...

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo