Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Global Agenda Drops Subscriptions
4. Re: Global Agenda Drops Subscriptions Jun 25, 2010, 12:19 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 25, 2010, 11:49:
I wonder if slowly but surely we are seeing the death of the pay-by-the-month subscription model. Seems like every MMO is doing it and actually making more money that way.

The majority of MMO games that drop the subscription model are, for lack of a better term, 'sick'. The developers release the game unfinished and with big promises, and when the player base actually gets to see the reality of the situation, it starts dwindling. To drastically change their revenue model does imply (at least to me) that the population is dropping too fast and the developer is concerned about the future of the game.

The only game that has bucked the trend (to my knowledge) is LOTRO, which I believe is a pretty successful game, but still went F2P. All the other MMOs that go free to play are those which are hemorrhaging players.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status
13. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 20:07 spindoctor

The same people who whine endlessly about consolitis are now defending a checkpoint save system. Priceless. This is almost as funny as the time people were whining about Bioshock 2 not having controller support.  

News Comments > Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans
65. Re: Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans Jun 12, 2010, 10:37 spindoctor

Rigs wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 06:58:
Ok, then would this thing be just as good? Inquisitive

Link

=-Rigs-=

This is the FragFX thing yes? I haven't really followed it, so I can't say for sure whether it's good or not. Maybe someone else can help.

54. Re: Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans Jun 12, 2010, 05:17 spindoctor

Rigs wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 04:10:
do I need something made specifically for the PS3 or can I just use the keyboard and mouse I already have? On top of that, will the games on the PS3 accept controls from a keyboard and mouse?

Firstly you cannot use any old mouse/keyboard combination. There will be no drivers to make them work on the PS3. And even if you did buy the accessories Sony recommends, the game you wanted to play would still have to support it. An overwhelming majority of game developers do not add that support to their games. So for all practical purposes, it would be useless to buy it.

Bottom line... you can't really use the M+KB on a PS3.

26. Re: Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans Jun 11, 2010, 19:02 spindoctor

Cram wrote on Jun 11, 2010, 18:59:
everyone will complain how bad the game is even though it's due to the port and not the actual game.

A bad port of a good game is still a bad game on it's own. Forgive me if I fail to appreciate the masterful touches in game design while I am in a game with my framerates in the teens with lousy textures and hideous jaggies all around.

News Comments > Mac Team Fortress 2 Tomorrow
9. Re: Mac Team Fortress 2 Tomorrow Jun 9, 2010, 20:19 spindoctor

Everyone who launches the game on a Mac should get a special hat. Windows gamers need to know who to single out for the 'special treatment'  

News Comments > Half-Life E3 Tease Faked
19. Re: Half-Life E3 Tease Faked Jun 7, 2010, 15:03 spindoctor

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 14:25:
Like I said already, I'm thinking Valve is giving the Black Mesa Mod team center stage and the surprise will be the release of Black Mesa.

I wouldn't mind that too much. Although I was hoping for episode 3, but this will do too.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2010, 13:09 spindoctor

Tumbler wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 13:04:
Do you need an account to play the game?

The game is linked to your Ubisoft account. It can't be resold once the cd key is registered (unless you pass along the account credentials as well).

5. Re: Half-Life E3 Tease Faked Jun 7, 2010, 12:41 spindoctor

Ok so this gets interesting...

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=060710_4

The last lines of that article say this :

Meanwhile, It appears a "360 and PS3 journalist" was told by Valve that the "surprise" at E3 won't be of great interest to them.

PC exclusive on the cards?

3. Re: Half-Life E3 Tease Faked Jun 7, 2010, 12:31 spindoctor

Eurogamer has an article up where they say that they asked Gabe whether the surprise was episode 3 and he replied that it wasn't.

edit - link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/valve-e3-reveal-isnt-ep-3-newell

News Comments > New Natural Selection 2 Details
3. Re: New Natural Selection 2 Details Jun 7, 2010, 12:29 spindoctor

Is there even a vague time frame of when this game will be done? They've been taking pre-orders for the game for over a year now right? Surely there must be a plan to complete it?  

News Comments > Gold - ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
6. Re: Gold - ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Jun 7, 2010, 12:15 spindoctor

Techie714 wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 11:01:
we all know the game had some bugs at launch

some bugs?

News Comments > Strike Delays Bad Company 2 Patch
5. Re: Strike Delays Bad Company 2 Patch Jun 7, 2010, 12:11 spindoctor

Strike or not, DICE have clearly shown that they give preference to the console versions of the game. This is not a one off occurrence... the console versions get all forms of post release content before the PC version, be it balance patches, bug fixes, 'new' maps, the new game mode that isn't even coming to the PC as of now...

DICE leveraged the anti-MW2 sentiment amongst PC gamers very well for PR purposes before their game released, but now it has become abundantly clear that their priorities lie elsewhere.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
51. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 03:11 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2010, 01:40:
Except that's not a fact at all. The rate of piracy is determined solely by how much marketing a game has. Obscure, niche games don't get pirated nearly as much as games with $50 million marketing budgets.

I said 'rate' of piracy while you're talking absolute numbers. If a company makes a niche game which sells 10,000 copies, it will get pirated 50,000 times. If some AAA game sells a million copies, it will get pirated 5 million times. In the end, the rate of piracy will be more or less the same, regardless of quality.

Piracy has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with awareness. People are more likely to pirate a game they've heard of than a game they haven't.

The same can be said for sales as well. Ultimately, people will pirate what they want to play. Whether it's because of quality, or hype or awareness or whatever. The same factors that drive up sales will also drive up piracy.

That being said, I think it's safe to conclude that piracy is not the reason why games sell poorly. Thus, there's no reason for publishers to waste their (and your) time with DRM.

I agree, but what are they supposed to do? Should they just cheerfully accept that an overwhelming majority of people who use their product will not pay for it?

48. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 00:16 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on May 30, 2010, 18:08:

If you make a better game, people are more likely to buy it. Devoted pirates will not but there's not much you can do about that.

This would be fine except for the fact that the rate of piracy remains the same for all the games. When you see a list of the most downloaded games in a year, it will roughly correspond to the list of top sellers in that year. In other words, games that are good and popular and sell well also get pirated a lot more. The same holds true for music and movies too. It's not like pirates have no taste and will only pirate the bad stuff while buying the good...

18. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 17:09 spindoctor

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2010, 16:35:
but otherwise I think the benefits of actually owning the software are enough to warrant a purchase. As I've said before I see my monthly game spending as a way to actively improve my hobby.

That's just your sense of responsibility though right? Functionally speaking, there is no difference between your legit copy and a pirated version, and the latter is even better these days.

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2010, 16:35:
You do have to admit that your comment made it sound as if improving the game was pointless when people are going to pirate anyway. Paraphrasing Bard Wardell of Stardock: "I don't make games for pirates."

I didn't say or imply that. But I do feel that it is reasonable for developers to want to curtail piracy and DRM is how they choose to go about it. It's not successful, and they know it, but they have to try anyway. No one likes getting ripped off.

14. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 16:24 spindoctor

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2010, 16:04:
You don't make a better game to reduce piracy, you make a better game to increase sales.

His exact words are -

"There is no doubt in my mind that pirates now have a better experience than legitimate consumers."

The point I was making is that it's not some new revelation that pirates get a better experience than paying customers. That has always been the case, and it's not something that started with the Ubi DRM.

As customers, we have always foregone the better alternative when we buy a legitimate copy of the game.

7. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 15:57 spindoctor

Pirates always have a better experience than legit customers. They get their games DRM free, usually days or weeks early and they don't have to pay anything for it. They get patches and extra content for free as well. The only case this might not be true is for authenticated multiplayer games. So should singleplayer games die out completely? What does this person suggest developers and publishers should do to make legit a better experience than pirated? Because whatever he comes up with, I'm pretty sure it won't trump FREE.

I'm pretty sure someone will say... "Well, they should make better games then!". Here's the thing... they could make the best game ever, with no DRM and every feature that you ever wanted. But guess what, the pirated version of that game is still free. What then?

News Comments > Mac Steam Game Installs to Change
8. Re: Mac Steam Game Installs to Change May 23, 2010, 02:06 spindoctor

Bet wrote on May 22, 2010, 13:49:

Unfortunately, they don't say they're going to let you split up different games to different partitions in the future, just that they're going to change where Mac users are allowed to install Steam games to as a whole.

The article also mentions that there is an architectural limitation of their engine which does not allow them to let users install games where ever they want to.

News Comments > Mac Steam Game Installs to Change
4. Re: Mac Steam Game Installs to Change May 22, 2010, 02:54 spindoctor

Bet wrote on May 21, 2010, 23:03:
How about adding the ability to, oh, say, let us specify what directory to install games to? Instead of forcing them all to be on one partition. That would be swell.

If you had actually RTFA, you would know the answer to that question.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo