Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 07:48 spindoctor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 05:25:
Best Buy has Mafia II for 29.99.

Going to get that one this week - don't think I will ever see it for cheaper.

The Steam holiday sale starts today, and I am almost certain it will be on sale for at least 25$, if not less. Pick it up then if you want.

You should know what to expect from a Mafia game though. It's a linear, narrative driven game, much like the first one was. If you're expecting GTA 1950 where you play in a sandbox, this is not the game for you.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle
14. Re: On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle Dec 15, 2010, 00:02 spindoctor

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 21:23:
I always thought Just Cause 2 being DirectX 10 (and above) exclusive was a bad idea. It certainly couldn't have helped any.

It didn't help. An Eidos earning report recently stated that Kane & Lynch 2 (a game I personally completed in 3 hours and was pretty meh) outsold Just Cause 2 by a ratio of 2:1. That's a crying shame for Avalanche studios, because I consider Just Cause 2 the best sandbox game of the year (along with Minecraft, but they're different games).

PHJF wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 22:28:
Just Cause 2 looks fucking gorgeous on a PC. If you've got something equal or better to a GTX260, get the PC version and crank the visuals to orgasm level.

It does indeed. At least technically speaking, it has to be the best console port I've ever seen. The only minor issue I had was slight negative acceleration with the mouse but apart from that, you can tell that they really put in some work into the PC version. Heck the graphics programmer kept adding new console commands into the game months after it had released.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 14, 2010, 11:16 spindoctor

J wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 09:29:
I'm still enjoying Risen. I hear that the Gothic games (which it is based upon?) are variable - with maybe one or two being really good and the others not so much. Is this right? Which would be worth exploring - considering Risen is the first one I have played?

I can tell you for sure that Gothic 2 and it's expansion NOTR are definitely worth getting. I never played Gothic 1 though, but by all accounts that's an amazing game too.

They're also conveniently on sale on gog.com right now

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 12, 2010, 01:16 spindoctor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 17:53:

They will never make their money back on this game.....

They made their money back with GT5 Prologue itself, long before this game ever released. GT5:P sold over 5 million copies on it's own. If you take an average price of 20$, that's 100 million dollars in revenues.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Dec 10, 2010, 04:28 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 23:33:
Oh yeah, Mirror's Edge for $5 and Saboteur for $10 are great deals. Both games are painfully underrated. If you like platformers, you'll like Mirror's Edge. If you like sandbox action games with vehicles, platforming and stealth elements, you'll like Saboteur. Many times better than AC1 & 2.

I wouldn't call Mirrors Edge underrated. Everyone seems to like it well enough, it's just that for some reason it didn't get the sales it deserved. Great game though, and well worth the price.

Now The Saboteur... there is an underrated game. I think the bad press surrounding Pandemic at the time of it's release along with unfavorable comparisons with the GTA series kind of killed it. The latter happened to Mafia 2 as well I think. While I wouldn't call it better than AC2, it certainly is a very nicely made game that unfortunately no one played.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2 Demo
21. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 02:59 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 01:16:
If they read the threads about Dragon Age, Amnesia, Starcraft 2, etc, they'd learn that designing a game for the PC goes a long way in making PC gamers happy. It's not exactly rocket science.

Oh my, this is rich. I think you should go back and read some of those threads and refresh your memory. Remember the one about Dragon Age trailer even before it released? The one where they chose to show off the combat with the music "This is the new shit"? Wasn't that the one where some Bioware employee had to step in to clarify things? Or was that for how Mass Effect 2 was 'consolized' and the RPG element was removed? How about the drama involving the DLC which was 'cut out' from the game? How about the Starcraft ones where they 'wasted 10 years remaking the same game with no innovation and how they are selling you one third of the game at full price'. I could go on and on and on...

Pleasing the crybabies/whiners/elitists/PC gamers is not only harder than rocket science, it is basically impossible and more to the point, it's an absolute waste of time to even try.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2 Demo
14. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 8, 2010, 23:27 spindoctor

BurntSoul wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 21:37:
3. They wouldn't even think to read this forum to get an atom of an idea of how to make their PC customers happy.

If they ever read this forum (and the sample of PC gamers represented here), they would walk away convinced beyond any measure of doubt that there is absolutely no way to make PC customers happy and that they shouldn't even bother. Which leads me to believe that they just might have read this place after all

News Comments > The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins
9. Re: The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins Dec 6, 2010, 20:09 spindoctor

Klaus Flouride wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:11:

Yes they do. I mean who doesn't want to buy games you don't with a very slight chance you might win a game you do want. R.U.S.E. is horrid. It should be $10 or less.

Well thank goodness we have you as the sole and final arbiter of all good and bad games in this world. Tell me, does your superpower extend to all facets of life or is it limited to video games only?

Seriously, is it so hard to imagine that someone might like a game that you don't? That you don't have to look down on that person for their choices? Maybe RUSE is worth the 33$ to someone, who the fuck are you to judge that? Maybe someone will discover that Chime is actually a nice little time waster? Maybe they'll discover a new artist they like from the music that ships with the game? (I did). Did you know that a percentage of the revenue Chime generates goes towards charity? I imagine it will be close to nothing at this price, but if you were to get it, it would invite a smidgen of good karma into your jaded black heart. Maybe that makes it worth it?

It's just a sale with a fun twist where Steam gives away 800 free games. Where is the need to complain about this?

News Comments > The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins
1. Re: The Great Steam Treasure Hunt Begins Dec 6, 2010, 18:37 spindoctor

No one does this stuff quite as well as Steam... Better discounts? Sure, sometimes. More entertaining promotions? Nope.  

News Comments > Steam Bestsellers
8. Re: Steam Bestsellers Nov 29, 2010, 01:53 spindoctor

Bhruic wrote on Nov 28, 2010, 19:28:
I must admit I'm surprised myself. Especially as CoD:Blops has completely dropped off the list. Admittedly I think it's a crappy game, but it seemed to be selling quite well before - easily outselling Civ V.

Black Ops is still the number 1 selling game on Steam, even throughout the week.

Here's the thing... Blue compiles this list from the official (and automated) weekly top sellers RSS feed that Steam has and updates every Sunday. The problem with that feed is that it sometimes spits out more than 10 games at a time, and sometimes two or even three games share the same rank in the list. Meaning you can have 2 games which were both the 7th best selling game of the week. In cases like this, I believe Blue has a policy of only listing the last game took a particular rank. So if Black Ops was mentioned first, and then later the feed also mentioned Civ 5 as the top seller, he will only list Civ 5. That's what we see here.

It's a bug with the automated feed, something that Valve doesn't seem to care enough to fix.

edit - this is the feed in case anyone is interested - http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Easter Egg
27. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Easter Egg Nov 24, 2010, 22:42 spindoctor

DangerDog wrote on Nov 24, 2010, 14:16:
The best Easter Egg is getting out of the chair (pump the spacebar) and walking over to a computer in the corner, accessing it and running zork or the zombie arcade game "Dead Ops Arcade" by typing in "DOA"

You can also play Zork on that computer

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 23:57 spindoctor

I've seen a few other people complain about the driving as well. Some say it's realistic, others say it's bad. I didn't notice either way while playing the game, so I guess I'd say it was fine for me.

Now 2K did a strange kind of promotion the other day.. Something like the Giantbomb quicklook for their DLC, except that they played the first hour of Joe's Adventures, along with some narration. The video is here if anyone is interested...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11029383

Here's the thing though.. The way I see it.. if you are at all interested in buying this DLC, why would you want to watch the first hour of it and spoil it for yourself? It's not even a demo which you play yourself, you're just watching a video. And if you're not interested in the DLC, then why would even bother to watch it? I guess my point is... who is this video made for, especially considering it's for DLC which cannot be that long in the first place?

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Patch Nears
3. Re: Bad Company 2 Patch Nears Nov 23, 2010, 23:51 spindoctor

Does anyone have any idea at all when they might release the new maps for the PC or when the Vietnam map pack is coming out?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 19:54 spindoctor

I was hoping there would be more discussion about this DLC here, including possibly some impressions from those who had played it. Are people just not interested in this game or something?

In any case, the only review I've been able to find is this - http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/11/23/reviews/78408/

The gist of it is that it's a really nice, long addition to the game. If you like Mafia 2, then you will like this as well.

Sure would like to hear some other opinions though.

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
38. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 18:41 spindoctor

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:47:
spindoctor wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:26:

At this point, I imagine that publishers are happy if their PC games aren't cracked pre-release, let alone for two weeks after. I think this is one of the reasons quite a few of them are moving to Steamworks to protect their games... sure, it gets pirated like every other software on the planet, but at least it doesn't happen before the actual game goes on sale.

You have no idea at all what you're talking about... at all.

I'll probably hate this fact as much as you do, but every single big game out there has been cracked within a week... steamworks or no steamworks; DRM or no DRM. DRM is useless and a pain in the ass in every way.

Yea, telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about when you don't even have basic comprehension skills. Well done.

Getting cracked within a week is not the same as getting cracked before release. Or were you in too much of a hurry to type your bullshit that your eyes glazed over what I had written?

Whether or not pre-release piracy affects sales is a matter of conjecture... however, it's a reasonable assumption that a few people getting to play the game for free 4 weeks before release might not end up buying it.

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
28. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 16:26 spindoctor

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:01:

The universe where those games that are cracked before they hit shelves take a hit to sales. DRM doesn't guarantee you those 2 weeks and I never said it did. But if you're lucky and ship with a new iteration of WhateverDRM you at least have a fighting chance.

At this point, I imagine that publishers are happy if their PC games aren't cracked pre-release, let alone for two weeks after. I think this is one of the reasons quite a few of them are moving to Steamworks to protect their games... sure, it gets pirated like every other software on the planet, but at least it doesn't happen before the actual game goes on sale.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 21, 2010, 01:30 spindoctor

Age of Empires 3 is available on the GFWL store for 10 cents. That's right, $0.10

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/AgeofEmpiresIII/

News Comments > More Mass Effect Clues
10. Re: More Mass Effect Clues Nov 20, 2010, 02:12 spindoctor

Somewhat random Google translate link

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Closed Beta Tomorrow
4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Closed Beta Tomorrow Nov 18, 2010, 15:48 spindoctor

For some reason I seem to recall the pre-order price for the standard version was 20$. Did they increase the price almost two fold or am I mistaken?

News Comments > VGA Nominees
21. Re: VGA Nominees Nov 17, 2010, 22:29 spindoctor

I've played all the game on that list except Reach, and I have to say that Red Dead Redemption does deserve it amongst the lot. It's a more complete game than any of the other choices, even though none of them are bad as such. Obviously the list won't satisfy PC gamers but then nothing ever can, so why even bother.  

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo