Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed
50. Re: Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed Jan 19, 2011, 01:35 spindoctor

Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 01:27:
Or maybe I've got it reversed.

Maybe they're brilliantly converting droves of PS3 players to PC to see what the big deal about a mouse and keyboard is.

At the very least, they're going to have a lot of new Steam users. Those users will then start to see what Steam is all about, all the nifty features it has, all the crazy sales they do and I'm sure some will start using it more frequently. Valve is playing the long game here, and I think that's why they are willing to give up some of the potential revenue of Portal 2 steam sales for this promotion.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 02:09.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
15. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 12:13 spindoctor

Trainwreck wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 11:08:
Why does the game look like 2150 if it's only supposed to be 2027?

Are you from the future? How the fuck did you decide that the art direction looks like 2150 instead of 2027?

Is there nothing you people will not complain about?

News Comments > CliffyB on No PC Bulletstorm Demo
24. Re: CliffyB on No PC Bulletstorm Demo Jan 17, 2011, 11:41 spindoctor

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 09:45:
Edit: funny how they release the demo the same day Dead Space 2 ships

All console updates (i.e. new content on Xbox Live or PSN) usually happen only once a week, around Tuesday. This also happens to be the de-facto day of the week for North American game releases. I think this is more of a coincidence than any conscious attempt to affect sales of Dead Space 2.

sauron wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 10:33:

It might be justified if all their games weren't rehashes of the original Unreal Tournament, but they haven't had an original idea since 1999.

You people need to make up your minds. Either Epic makes trash games that aren't worth playing, in which case it doesn't matter that there's no PC demo and you shouldn't be whining. Or you're lying about them making crap games because you actually do want to play Bulletstorm, and thus have at least a valid reason for being disappointed with the lack of a PC demo. So which is it?

News Comments > On PC Super Street Fighter IV
19. Re: On PC Super Street Fighter IV Jan 17, 2011, 00:17 spindoctor

Kosumo wrote on Jan 16, 2011, 23:45:
Of the $50, I truly doubt they get more than 40-50% of it.

Street Fighter 4 released at a price point of 40$ if I remember correctly. And you're right, they would only get 40-50% of that amount, if not less. And in this day and age, how long would it stay at full price anyway? I remember I bought the game for 50% off in a Steam weekend deal about 2 months after it came out. Point being that it would need a lot more than just 20k sales to reach 1 million dollars in profit.

Next, I wonder whether it makes sense to attribute only the cost of porting to the PC as the total cost for the platform. For example, if a multiplatform game cost 30 million dollars to make/market, and only half a million dollars to port to the pc... is it right to say that the cost of the PC version is only that half million? This would be true only if they never planned to release it on the PC from the day they started development on the game, and I doubt that is the case, at least with SF4. There's also the opportunity cost of spending time porting a game to the PC versus spending it on creating something for the far more lucrative console market.

And finally, SF4 had the distinction of being on this list. But then, as PC gamers, we all know that not one single potential sale has ever been lost in all of history to piracy, right?

News Comments > On PC Super Street Fighter IV
13. Re: On PC Super Street Fighter IV Jan 16, 2011, 22:42 spindoctor

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 16, 2011, 17:28:

Uh, no. He pretty much summed up the bluesnews community quite well. Your comment about Blizzard is so ridiculously off base.

Yep.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 15, 2011, 23:57 spindoctor

Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2011, 20:39:
Hmm. That's unethical. Do they do this a lot? I can accept the occasional screw up but if this is a tactic to trick people into thinking they're getting a discount, that's not cool. I would expect a lot better from Paradox.

I don't think Paradox runs Gamersgate anymore. Last I heard the 2 businesses were separated, much like how some people say that Valve should decouple from Steam.

As for this error, I honestly think it's an oversight and nothing more. I doubt there's any sort of sinister intent to fool prospective customers. Odds are that if someone were to contact their support team about this issue, it would get resolved.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2011, 16:18 spindoctor

Article : Gamers complain about everything.

This thread : Gamers complaining about article.

Seems spot on to me.

News Comments > New Bad Company 2 Content Unlikely
6. Re: New Bad Company 2 Content Unlikely Jan 6, 2011, 11:02 spindoctor

Consoles got an exclusive co-op game mode called Onslaught. I think he might have been referring to that.  

News Comments > Final Mass Effect 2 DLC Announced
6. Re: Final Mass Effect 2 DLC Announced Jan 3, 2011, 15:49 spindoctor

Tumbler wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 12:10:

In fact I want to, I just can't force myself to do it knowing that some planet scanning will be required.

Just use a save game editor and give yourself all the minerals you could need. That's what I'm going to be doing with my 2nd playthrough. I don't care if they updated it to be twice as fast with the scanner twice as big or anything like that... I don't want to waste a single minute doing that useless shit.

Coolone wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 15:41:
If you've beaten ME2 already, then you get 50,000 of each resource for the next time you play through it. Made my life much easier with regards to upgrades.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd by slash

Does this only work if you restart a second game with the same character? Because I started a new character (well, an old ME1 imported save actually) and I didn't get any minerals besides the paltry amounts you get for importing an old character. Nowhere close to the 50k you mention.

News Comments > Recettear Sells 100K, Worldwide Chantelise Announced
5. Re: Recettear Sells 100K, Worldwide Chantelise Announced Jan 3, 2011, 15:42 spindoctor

Wolfox wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 09:35:
It's a great game, actually. I had tons of fun with it. One of the highlights of 2010 for me, in fact.

I agree. I just played through it this past week and I was completely blown away by how good it is.

News Comments > PC BC2 Vietnam Hastings Unlocked
2. Re: PC BC2 Vietnam Hastings Unlocked Dec 30, 2010, 11:22 spindoctor

Techie714 wrote on Dec 30, 2010, 11:17:
Simply put Battlefield was & still is MEANT FOR THE PC.....PERIOD!

Then how do you explain that console players (on both the 360 and ps3) have played twice as much BC2 as PC players?

News Comments > PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings
24. Re: PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings Dec 29, 2010, 17:48 spindoctor

ASJD wrote on Dec 29, 2010, 17:29:
lol oh wow, people are looking too much into this.

True. PC gamers are just hanging onto threads now. "Oh look, we're doing more ingame actions! All publishers should now admit that they were wrong, ditch consoles completely and go back to developing exclusively for PC." Please...

If anything, these statistics show that the game is doing incredibly poorly on consoles, not incredibly well on the PC. Just had a peek at the stats on bfbcs.com... not sure how accurate it is, but it shows about 90,000 players online right now across all platforms, out of which 40,000 are on the PC. 90,000 total across all platforms is miserable, especially when the competition is getting millions of people playing it at the same time. You wonder why the PC is doing better here? It's because console gamers have moved on. To other games. Which they bought. Which is why their platform is financially more viable than the PC.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam
16. Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam Dec 28, 2010, 02:56 spindoctor

I bought NWN 2. I'm curious about something though... Over the years, I've read a lot about how the NWN 2 base campaign is shit but the MOTB expansion is awesome. I was wondering whether it's possible to play MOTB as a standalone game? I mean, I know that I'll have to have the whole thing installed, which isn't a problem, but can I dive straight into MOTB or is it a proper expansion that requires one to play through the base game first?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2010, 13:21 spindoctor

They got lazy on the Sunday after Christmas

Well, at least they still have some pretty damn good deals up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 02:51 spindoctor

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 15:21:
Yeah it's Sega's fault the game was delayed an extra year so Obsidian couldn't 'finish' the game. Same with KOTOR 2 too right? 4 publishers and it's never Obsidian's fault.

I agree. Somehow people want to give Obsidian a pass when they have a track record of fucking up the execution of their games every single time. These same people will otherwise go batshit crazy if any other game has minor problems on day 1, or even problems that get fixed eventually (something that will not happen with Alpha Protocol). It's mind boggling hypocrisy in my opinion.

Acleacius wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 15:35:
First place, if you knew RPGs were the most complicated games to make and they often are the longest, 40+ hours in many cases. You might try using your leap logic here. How long would it take to fully test every possible outcome of a 40 hour game with 100s of different choices, which actually have an effect on other quests and even affect the physical world itself? Really, how long?

Except Alpha Protocol isn't 40 hours long. It's 15 hours long. And yes, I know that there are multiple paths in the game which means it's not quite the same as a 15 hour linear shooter. But still... the branching of paths and the choices/consequences is just about the only thing that's done very well in the game. The rest of the elements of the game are bland at best, and mediocre or just downright broken in most cases. And the implication that the state the game was released in is acceptable just because it would take too much effort to test it and get it right is is laughable.

Let's not forget that the game was originally supposed to release in February 2009. And it finally released in June 2010 after 2 significant delays. I wonder if the game executable would even run when Obsidian were supposed to deliver the finished product for the first time. Sega might not be the best publishers around, but you seriously cannot blame them for cutting their losses after Obsidian delayed it for a good 18 months or so.

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2010, 23:59 spindoctor

I'm a little puzzled that Arma 2 is discounted heavily on Steam but they chose not to discount the expansion or gold pack to the same extent. People say having Operation Arrowhead is pretty much a requirement for a lot of servers and mods. And before anyone asks, I live outside North America so the Amazon deal is worthless to me. If the combined pack had been 12.5$ on Steam, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. But I don't think having to pay 30$ to get the full game is any sort of deal, and selling just the older part for 10$ is silly.  

News Comments > On Sale
30. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2010, 10:20 spindoctor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2010, 09:00:

Thanks for input spin. Going to get it then. (not that i need more games....been playing the humble indie bundle all mornin while making my 2nd batch of chili and 3 loaves on banana bread)

Sega removed the game's online activation requirement in a patch a few weeks ago. When I had played the game, this patch was not available on Steam yet, so I had to download it separately and patch the game (which worked fine btw). When you run the game for the first time, if it asks for online activation, that means Steam has still not patched it and you will have to download it separately. Amongst other bug fixes, one of the things this patch does is remove copy protection from the game. Basically, if you are ever asked for your cd key, you are running an older version and you need to patch it. If you do need to download it yourself, get the EU/Digital Patch which is the one that will work with the Steam version.

After that there are a bunch of .cfg tweaks and stuff you'll need to look into to fix performance issues, sound issues, graphics issues and what not.

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2010, 08:47 spindoctor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2010, 07:47:

Hay, I don't have Alpha Protocal - is it worth 7.50 or is it a pass?

Worth it for 7.5$. It is a severely flawed game but it did keep me interested enough for a full playthrough (about 15 hours). There are a couple of things it does exceptionally well, namely how your choices have consequences and how they shape the story differently. Almost everything you do in the game will have an impact on the way the plot moves forward. Apart from this though, everything else in the game is pretty mediocre or just downright broken.

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
31. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 11:10 spindoctor

The purchase was made with full understanding that the product is incomplete, things are broken, things can be added or removed etc. Notch has never tried to hide the fact that it is still in development and still a work in progress. And because he knows that people are trusting him with their money for an unfinished product, he offers it to them for less than the price the final game will sell for. So the customer gets to play the game early and by paying less too, so it's not like only the developer is benefiting from the arrangement.

Notch also updates the game frequently, even 2-3 times a day when something goes wrong. I'm sure this will be fixed soon enough as well.

To expect that an in-development project will have no problems at all, especially when more and more stuff keeps getting added onto it is totally unrealistic and shows how little people know about programming. If you want a completely stable, polished game ready for retail, you should wait for the game to be finished and buy it then for full price. If you pay less for what is clearly stated to be an unfinished product, expect that there will be problems and don't whine when you come across one.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
6. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 16:09 spindoctor

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 16:05:

Anyone know that if you buy a game in a pack that you already own, if you bascially get a key to give away to someone? I don't need two copies of Dragon Age, may give one to a buddy or something. I'm curious how that works.

You can't "officially" give away your key, but if you did just copy your unused Steam key and give it to a friend, they should be able to activate it on their EA accounts thereby making them the legitimate owner of the game in the eyes of EA. That friend could probably register the key on EADM and download the game directly from EA themselves, otherwise he could borrow your disk and install the game or something like that.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo