Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 12:28 spindoctor

Hyatus wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 12:02:

Oh noes! There is a delay of one week. The world will end!
We wait months all the time for Japanese games and consoles to come out here and few people bitch about that. What the dealio?

It seems like you have missed the point. Are you perchance a resident of North America?

The issue is that there is no good reason left why some countries should have to wait for games that are complete and playable in other countries. Right now I am preloading Crysis 2 from Steam, and it will unlock for me on Friday. The exact same preload was decrypted for American customers on Tuesday. Why exactly is my 60$ purchase not worthy of a Tuesday unlock when my American brethren who paid the exact same amount are playing it now?

Maybe in the past there was an argument for physical stock taking slightly longer to reach other parts of the world. However, that is no longer true. Publishers can get stock of their games to all countries at approximately the same time. And in either case, it is completely absurd when we talk about digital copies that are bought and downloaded through the internet.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crysis 2 Patched
17. Re: Crysis 2 Patched Mar 23, 2011, 07:53 spindoctor

necrosis wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 21:56:
Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 21:51:
Am I understanding correctly that there's no quicksave?
It is a console port.

Far Cry had checkpoints only as well. Being a console port has absolutely nothing to do with it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Mar 23, 2011, 07:51 spindoctor

SectorEffector wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 23:19:
the ability to shoot the gun and attack with a sword at the same time are pretty cool.

I was not aware you could do that. I've seen that the gun/ammo icon pops up at the top right of the equipped weapon icon but i didn't know what it was for. The only time I've seen it work is when I trigger some finishing move while sword fighting where Ezio will shoot the guy. How do I do it manually?

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2011, 01:44 spindoctor

NoBS wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 22:24:
It's not puzzling when you realize that it is essentially the same store as Direct2Drive. The same account information logs into both websites, and the list of purchased games in a user's account is the same. All of one's Direct2Drive games are accessible from the IGN PC store and vice versa.

This begs the question... why do it at all? What is the need for the IGN store when D2D already exists?

News Comments > Impulse Weekly Top 10
3. Re: Impulse Weekly Top 10 Mar 22, 2011, 01:18 spindoctor

Zavy wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 21:33:
Why is elemental war of magic still in the $40 range?? I wanna buy it for like $10 already geez.

The price of Stardock games on Impulse depreciates very, very slowly. Especially in comparison to how quickly other games drop in price and/or go on sale on Steam and other sites. Your best bet is to find a cheap retail copy of the game somewhere and just link the key to Impulse.

News Comments > Trine 2 Delay, Trailer
5. Re: Trine 2 Delay, Trailer Mar 21, 2011, 17:21 spindoctor

I hope the delay isn't too long. The fall season is absolutely jam packed with titles scheduled to release and I'd hate to see this getting drowned out in the noise if they released it too late. Deus Ex 3 is coming on August 26th, I'd say that's the unofficial start date of the madness. Hopefully Frozenbyte can get this out well before that.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up
7. Re: Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up Mar 20, 2011, 16:09 spindoctor

entr0py wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 15:56:

Honestly, it just seems like a protection racket. Pay us and we won't spread misleading rumors about your products.

Yea, something like that. The DRM on Dragon Age 2 had 2 parts...

1) When you first launch the game it checks whether the release date has passed or not. If it has, the check is never performed again.
2) The first time you run the game, it will authenticate your cd key to make sure it is legit and link it with your account. After that, if you want, you can play offline forever.

Here are all the things it doesn't do... it doesn't require a dvd in the drive, it doesn't have limited installations, it doesn't have activations that need to be (or can't be) revoked, it doesn't need to you be online at all times (heck it doesn't need you to be online even once after initial authentication), it doesn't install Starforce type drivers that can fuck up your PC...

These people at RYG are going overboard with their semantics and fear mongering. It seems that they are incapable of the minimal critical thinking required to see that this DRM is extremely lenient, and instead they are stuck on the word Securom even though it's just a release date check. And of course, they are leveraging the negative connotation that the word Securom now carries. And now they are 'offering' a service to 'manage such issues' for a price. What a bunch of monkeys.

News Comments > Cancelled Fallout Film Treatment
4. Re: Cancelled Fallout Film Treatment Mar 19, 2011, 14:56 spindoctor

When you try and make a 2 hour movie out of a 100 hour game, it's rather obvious that most of the content won't make the cut right?  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month
38. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 19, 2011, 00:17 spindoctor

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 18:12:
peteham wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 17:43:
Hmmm, 560 space bucks ain't a lot, suggesting it'll be a short affair.. Oh well.

It's also just enough that you don't have any left over to buy anything, save maybe an indie game or a rockband song.

For the PC, you can buy exactly 560 Bioware points from the site so you won't end up with more points than you need for this DLC.

On the 360, you're screwed.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution in August?
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution in August? Mar 8, 2011, 11:54 spindoctor

The dates have been confirmed by Eidos Montreal on Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/eidosmontreal/statuses/45163524141498368  

News Comments > Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway
22. Re: Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway Mar 3, 2011, 13:29 spindoctor

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:22:
If you don't mind me asking, what about the videos and previews put you off?

Have a look yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3yQUjonthA

Now this video shows that it's a clone of the Call of Duty style of gameplay. While I'm not inherently averse to that, the market is flooded with similar games so I expect it to at least be well done and this looks kind of boring to me.

Then there's the RPS preview - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/22/hands-on-preview-homefront/

They got to play a few levels and, well... read for yourself. It doesn't sound inspired, to say the least.

Perhaps it's not fair to judge the entire game based on this but I am cautious about it now, and I'll wait for reviews or a demo before deciding.

News Comments > Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway
4. Re: Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway Mar 3, 2011, 11:16 spindoctor

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:06:
Anyone have the skinny on this game? Did it have any closed beta stuff for MP or whatnot? I'm curious about it but not curious enough to go digging around.

Not yet. I was kind of looking forward to it, especially since they seem to be going above and beyond the usual these days to support the PC version of the game, but recent videos and previews have kind of put me off it for now. Hopefully they will release a demo for the game but with less than 2 weeks to go for release and no announcement yet, I'm not holding my breath.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2011, 16:21 spindoctor

Oh I can tell that this list is going to be very popular on Bluesnews  

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
19. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 23, 2011, 00:51 spindoctor

necrosis wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:09:
Thank you for making our uphill battle against this sort of DRM even harder.

So my 50$ not only gets me what is hopefully an excellent and extremely fun to play game, it also fucks over the whiners? God damn that sounds too good to be true

reisub wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:20:
Hmm, no buy then, even in a Steam sale. Don't know why I thought it was a one time thing. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Do you know that whenever you launch a game from Steam while it's online, it actually does authenticate the game from the Steam servers? Every single time. Yes, I know Steam has this fantastic offline mode that you will use to argue my point, but tell me this... what is the split between the time you spend on Steam online and offline? Because when you are online, you are actually submitting to the exact thing that you now find so unpalatable. You should stop using Steam in online mode and stick only to offline mode forever. That's the only way to avoid initial authentication.

News Comments > Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed
26. Re: Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed Feb 20, 2011, 12:07 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 11:35:
The numbers are all pointless anyway, let's be honest.

To us, maybe. But it matters to others. Some consumers will use the numbers to make their purchasing decisions. It might not matter for the 8/10 or 9/10 games, but it could affect sales of a 6/10 rated game where a consumer might be on the fence. Those sales could be the difference between being in the red or black. Likewise, publishers use Metacritic scores as a metric of how good the game is. They could use it as one of the criterion to decide whether or not a sequel gets made. That in turn can affect the developers... not trying to be overly dramatic here but that variation of 2 points on a 10 point scale could be the difference between 2 more years of gainful employment for the studio versus being out of a job.

The numbers might not be an accurate representation of the quality, but they can have consequences and that's why publishers care so much about them.

News Comments > Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed
24. Re: Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed Feb 20, 2011, 09:51 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 08:14:
Somebody needs to take a stand. Just because most reviewers have flawed scoring standards doesn't make those standards any less flawed. On a scale of 0 through 10, 5 is average. More reviewers need to understand that and put it into practice. If publishers don't appreciate logical and accurate scoring, that's their problem.

Like I said, if that site is consistent in using the entire 0-10 scale for all their reviews, then Topware has no right to complain. However, if they are being singled out then it's wrong (even if the average is mathematically correct). That's why I want to know which sites are alleging this impropriety, because as far as I know, there aren't very many sites that actually use the 0-10 scale properly.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Mess Up
8. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Mess Up Feb 20, 2011, 06:54 spindoctor

I wonder how much of this mess is really 2K's fault. They obviously have to give the DLC in for certification testing to the people who run GFWL, but they cannot actually put it up on the store themselves now can they? To me, it sounds more like someone at GFWL screwed up and put the thing up on the marketplace before it was meant to go on there.  

News Comments > Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned
30. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 06:50 spindoctor

You'd be surprised at how many pirated games have thriving multiplayer communities because of the existence of software like Hamachi and Garena

However, losing access to Xbox live doesn't only restrict you from playing multiplayer games. It affects your entire online experience. You can't stream videos, you can't chat with friends, you can't download game updates/patches/DLC/demos and you basically cannot do anything online with the 360.

On PC, the only thing you (might) lose is multiplayer functionality. Your computer can still go online and do everything else.

The equivalent risk on the PC would be that your internet completely stopped working and you would have to buy a new PC just to go back online. That's not quite the same as just losing out on multiplayer functionality is it?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2011, 06:04 spindoctor

Draugr wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 17:07:
What makes you say she'll be back? I though the season finale, and even the prequel, made it pretty clear how that part of the story played out, unless flashbacks play a part

I read somewhere that there is a window still open for her to return. In the season one finale, if I remember correctly, the last shot shows only the faces Lucretia and Quintus before the camera fades out. It's possible that she might have survived the attack. Too bad John Hannah doesn't have that window, as he has been just as important a character as Spartacus himself. And he has done a bloody fine job of his part too.

News Comments > Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned
28. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 05:57 spindoctor

Draugr wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 05:31:
I have to disagree with you in regards to console piracy... in terms of difficulty the mileage varies, it can be as easy as hooking your 360 DVD drive from your xbox to your PC and installing the appropriate firmware, from there it's just burning the disc and popping it in. Only the latest 360 models are a 'hassle'. PS3 is even easier, and involves a USB stick and that's it. You can just load those right from the HDD, so in that regard it'd be just as easy as PC.

There's another aspect to it too. Modding your console can risk it getting banned from Xbox Live if it gets detected. I think that most 360 users would agree that online connectivity is an important part of the experience and it would be significantly hampered by it's absence.

No such risk exists on the PC platform.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2011, 06:06.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo