Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
84. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:23 spindoctor

Well done PC gamers... trash a near flawless game with scores of zero and then wonder why developers don't give a shit about trying to please people who can't be pleased no matter what.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
69. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 18:06 spindoctor

Riker wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 17:45:
4:30am on Tuesday morning, oh thank you so much Valve! I'm a big supporter... but what the fuck were you thinking? Dick move, man.

Listen carefully, because I'm about to blow your mind with a fucking amazing concept. It's not 4:30A.M. in every part of the world when it is 4:30A.M. for you...

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
43. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 14:04 spindoctor

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:12:
I got all 36 potatoes so yeah, that was a fun ride

Nice work man. How long did it take?

News Comments > Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go
51. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 00:20 spindoctor

Whining like babies is now called critical thinking?

Okay then.

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
84. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 14:34 spindoctor

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 12:42:
And he's right.

Yes, he is.

Overon wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 13:18:
Can someone clue me in. How does one affect those calculations? Just by spending time in a game on that list?

No one knows for sure how the calculations are carried out. There's a lot of guesswork out there, but no clarity on exactly how it works. At this point, the best thing you can do is simply play the potato games, preferably the ones that are 'recommended' by the ARG site and definitely not the ones that have already completed calculations. And try and get potatoes from the games if you can... it is assumed that this will be helpful but again, no one knows for sure.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Apr 16, 2011, 12:25 spindoctor

winnetou wrote on Apr 16, 2011, 11:06:
There's a referral program at d2d that allows users to generate such codes. Just tried it and produced BCB87BB262BAF2794F70028802E6DBD2 which should allow a 15% discount. No idea whether it's a one-time use only, but if anybody feels like trying, feel free to use it.

I wasn't aware that it was a referral code until I read your post. I just picked it up from the [H] forums and posted it here. I normally don't like it if someone gets me to use a referral link/code without my knowledge, so my apologies if anyone feels the same now after finding out about it.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Apr 16, 2011, 10:32 spindoctor

Well there's another coupon code for D2D that stacks with existing discounts - LOGICBUYAPRIL - but this one only adds 10% off.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 16, 2011, 09:25 spindoctor

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2011, 07:40:
I guess they've caught that, the code doesn't work anymore.

Yea it seems so. I wasted too much time thinking about whether or not to get Brink and I missed it

Oh well, at least their 20% off coupons are pretty frequent. Maybe I'll wait until after release.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 15, 2011, 22:06 spindoctor

Using the coupon code - 6399EB21FB4378D7282AC9FE6BF16452 - on D2D adds an additional 15% off to the price of any game. This stacks with all existing discounts, including the 10% off pre-orders where they explicitly mention that it won't

This brings the pre-order price of Brink down to 38.2$, the lowest I've seen anywhere and I'm considering getting it now. Does that sound like a good idea?

News Comments > Aperture Labs Countdown
20. Re: Aperture Labs Countdown Apr 15, 2011, 07:00 spindoctor

DangerDog wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 03:17:
I wouldn't imagine they would piss retailers off by releasing it over Steam early, there's some rule written in stone that releases must happen on Tuesday in the US.

This is exactly what I think too. Tuesday is the US release date, it's next Friday in Europe and the rest of the world. I cannot imagine any retailers will be happy to have their release pre-empted by a week on Steam. That's why I think this timer is counting down to a demo or something like that.

InBlack wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 05:24:
Thats all well and good, I know that people have different tastes but the thing about Portal was that it was something very new and fresh at the time. If its just more of the same this time 'round people might be setting themselves up for a fall. Thats all im sayin...

As charming and fun as Portal was, it feels like a proof of concept now. We're hoping that the potential will be realized completely in Portal 2. It won't be more of the same, they are adding new gameplay elements (the red and blue goo come to mind) which should add a lot to the puzzles. It also has co-op. In an entirely different campaign from the regular single player one. And for me personally, Valve has never dropped the ball when it comes to creating quality games, so I don't expect that they will start now.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Apr 14, 2011, 13:57 spindoctor

I'm 28, I work from home (which means I set my own daily schedule) and even then I can't find more than 2-3 hours in a day on average to play games. Once in a while I binge out and play 8 hour sessions for 2 or 3 days but then my schedule gets messed up for the next 2 weeks. It's rarely worth it.

I can definitely see the merit in the argument of having a tightly focused, shorter game that is fun every moment that you play instead of long and meandering experiences that inevitably decay into tedium or repetition after a few hours anyway. This is not to say that I don't enjoy long games... Assassins Creed Brotherhood kept me enthralled for 40 hours, much to it's credit. As did Risen when I played it a few months ago. However, If I had had to wade through 30 hours of Dragon Age 2, I'd be doubly pissed for a) playing a useless game and b) getting 30 hours of my time wasted by it.

Bottom line, if there's a great game that's long, I'll gladly play it. If a great game is short, I won't complain about that. I don't need a game to be long for it to be great.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 14, 2011, 03:33 spindoctor

Draugr wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 22:14:

Coincidentally I'm also interested to see what epic does next that doesn't have anything to do with GoW, as the unreal franchise has been something I've enjoyed (though its had its low points.)

Have you heard of Bulletstorm?

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
7. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 15:15 spindoctor

I did this for the people that did buy Garry’s Mod. They get to point and laugh at pirates. If we leave it easy for people to pirate we’re betraying the people that paid. The legit users need to see you taking steps to make it harder for pirates or they just end up feeling like they should have saved their money and pirated too.

This is an interesting statement. I wonder if he is referring only to this 'prank' of his or whether it can be extrapolated towards DRM in general.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
2. Re: Quote of the Day Apr 12, 2011, 14:11 spindoctor

The Assassins Creed franchise begs to differ. The 2nd and 3rd game were orders of magnitude better than the first, because the team that made the games actually tried to fix whatever went wrong with the previous iterations.

I think the point he was making is that the risk with the first game is the highest, so they try to cram in as much as possible. If they are fortunate enough to survive long enough to make a next game, they have the benefit of experience and lots of feedback to tell them exactly what they should and shouldn't do. They're also in a comfort zone because it's all new to them any more.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 11, 2011, 04:59 spindoctor

entr0py wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 03:41:

But it's strange that they removed LAN play. Why go to additional time and effort to break the game?

Probably because if they had released it with the multiplayer portion in the game but not working properly, they would get flooded with customer support complaints and PC gamers incessantly whining about selling them a broken game. Instead of that, now they only get PC gamers incessantly whining about selling them an incomplete game.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Demo
14. Re: Bulletstorm Demo Apr 4, 2011, 17:27 spindoctor

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 16:57:
but for me, some of the fun lies in sort of fooling the game, and actually invent new ways to solve a problem, and here, the devs plays to much right into my hands, its like HEY LOOK AT THIS SUPERCOOL COMBOSHIT YOU CAN DO HERE!!! .. constantly.

I haven't played the PC demo but if it is the same as the console demo, then it is a fairly poor representation of the game.

The full game is actually a lot better with respect to what you are looking for. The developers don't shoehorn you into doing specific skillshots... the level design is such that they leave you a lot of options to try out different ways to kill enemies.

The full game has about 130 skillshots in total, and while that might not sound like much, it's a pretty decent number given the length of the game. I'd say you could discover a new skillshot every 5 minutes or less and you still wouldn't reach the total before you ended the game. Of course, it doesn't exactly work like that but I never felt that it got old while playing. For the record, I managed to get just over 100 of the skillshots in my playthrough.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 05:02 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 04:40:
Dev wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 00:38:
I'm fairly sure that its total copies sold, not revenue especially given that I've seen some quite low priced sale stuff hit the top 10.

Not gonna search for it but I have read before it's based on how much money they are making, not units sold.

The daily top sellers list which you can see on the Steam homepage is ordered by units sold. That changes every few hours. The weekly list that comes on Sunday through the RSS feed is based on weekly revenue. If you have seen low priced stuff hit the weekly top sellers list, it's because it sold that well

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 16:56 spindoctor

I guess they count pre-orders as well in this list (seeing Portal 2 is on it). Since the list is based on total revenue earned, the Black Ops map pack would have to sell something like 4 times as many copies as the next one on the list (Shogun 2). I wonder if the multiple exceeds exceeds even that minimum requirement.  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 18:10 spindoctor

Hyatus wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:43:
Sure, they all can manage a simultaneous release, but who's to say they aren't delaying people in the US from getting it while they wait for Australia to get on board?

And what if they are? Surely it's not an issue at all right? That's your argument isn't it?

Here's the thing... The publisher sets the date. It's not 'delayed' when there is only one entity that can decide the release date. It's not like there is another competing Crysis 2 which will become available to customers earlier if EA decides to release their game simultaneously all over the world. There is no compulsion to have separate release dates except for the arbitrary schedules. It's not like the European version goes gold 3 days after the US version or anything like that. Even if it takes longer for the game to get to Europe (which it doesn't), it would not kill them to release it world wide on the Friday when everyone can get it. The benefit would be parity amongst all consumers and possibly a potential reduction in piracy.

There is reasoning behind the delays. It would make no sense if there wasn't.

Feel free to let us know what that reasoning is. Because as of now, it does make no sense. That's the whole point of this 'petition'.

I'm not arguing that asking for a simultaneous release is wrong, but that there's no reason anyone should be complaining about a week delay.

In the grand scheme of things, a 3 day delay is a nothing. The issue is that it is completely arbitrary and without justification.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 16:15 spindoctor

Hyatus wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 14:58:

And why should the digital customers get theirs before the B&M store customers do?

Digital customers shouldn't get theirs before B&M. Everyone should get a unified release date, digital and retail, and it shouldn't be arbitrarily late.

Different countries have different historical media release dates. We could all probably get that stuff the day they go gold, but in the US we still have to wait until Tuesday. Also, if the games are boxed and published in the US, they have to be shipped overseas. You could yell at the publishers to do it all by air, but that's pretty expensive. I'm sure quite a few ship by boat(especially when we're talking about thousands and thousands of copies) so that would be the delay.

The logistics are not as complicated as you might think. Assassins Creed Brotherhood was available in Europe last week (around Thursday) while it only became available in North America this Tuesday. Do you think Ubisoft had to turn the world upside down to be able to do this? There are also games which manage simultaneous world wide releases too (look at Blizzard or the Call of Duty games).

It's just a matter of making it happen and there is no good reason why it shouldn't. The only reason it doesn't happen is because of inertia as was mentioned earlier... everyone is just too used to the historical way of doing things and all schedules are just built around that. Unfortunately, those schedules were built out of necessity decades ago when shipping actually did take time and there was no internet for instant dissemination of media. Times have changed, and all RPS is asking is that the industry change with them. I have no doubts that it will fail spectacularly, but you cannot argue that what they are asking for is wrong in this day and age.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo