Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
62. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 24, 2011, 01:31 spindoctor

Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 00:57:

Matt Parkman... err Greg Grunberg was great. I don't know if it was the game, his acting, or his ability to read minds but I got owned on his interviews.

That case was a total bitch to solve :(. Got 2 stars in it, as compares to 4s and 5s in every other case in the game.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Über Update Soldier Details
3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Über Update Soldier Details Jun 23, 2011, 07:20 spindoctor

mag wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 01:27:
Agree--but I wish it weren't so hard to get new weapons without grinding for scrap or buying them.

Yea I wish they would tweak the drop rates around the time new packs come. With all the extra weapons, hats, paints, crates etc. I am sure there are over 100 items that can drop in the game now. There's a less than 1% chance of getting a specific item in your hourly drop. It seems like it would take a lot of time to actually get all the new stuff simply by playing. It would be nice if they could manipulate the drop rate to say... 1 in every 3 drops will be a new item for the first month after the update came out. Even if someone couldn't get close to completing the whole new set, at least the economy would be flooded with new items which in turn would reduce their price in trading.

News Comments > Portal 2 Sells 3 Million
17. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 04:57 spindoctor

mag wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 01:58:
I bought the PS3 version because it came with the PC version also, and I've still only played the game for about thirty minutes because of the PSN's downtime. By the time it was back up crunch time was back on.

I understand why the PS3 version is desirable and why that probably led to increased sales of it. I'm just saying that the PSN downtime might have contributed to counter balancing that increase in sales. Either way, I don't believe it would have outsold the 360 version.
That happens very rarely.

News Comments > Portal 2 Sells 3 Million
15. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 01:41 spindoctor

fujiJuice wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 00:44:
I imagine PS3 sales would be the highest, considering PC is my first choice, but the fact that the PS3 version included the PC version, I purchased that instead.

PS3 sales would be hit by the PSN downtime though. That started a day after the game released.

As for the total figures, I assume they would follow the general sales trend that almost every other game these days follows... 50% xbox, 35% PS3, 15% PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 11:55 spindoctor

Penny Arcade had an editorial piece on this subject which I find myself agreeing with. They say that the PR guy was only doing his job... and his job is to make the game look good. Free review copies are given out to the media in an attempt to get more coverage, and the fact is that it's given with the implicit understanding that the coverage will be good. Why do they give out free copies of the game and invite the media to preview sessions and set up developer interviews and what not? Unlike the age old saying, not all publicity is good, at least when it comes to games. If the coverage is going to be bad, why should they bother?

Now that's looking at it from the PR people's point of view. The gaming media can say that they are honor bound to give every game fair coverage. Which means that a good game gets praised and a bad game gets trashed. Which sounds right, doesn't it? Except, and this is the big one, the reviewers already play the PR game anyway. Why is it that 95% of all reviews are in the 7.5 to 9.5 range? If there was even a slight bit of fairness in the system, it would have been a more even split. But no, reviewers and sites stick to that elevated range because they know it's a mutually beneficial arrangement for them too. They get early copies and interviews and all that which in turn drives traffic and ad revenues to their site. And in return they have changed the effective review score scale from 0-10 to 6-10. When they already do this, I feel that their whole chest thumping routine about how their journalistic integrity is under fire sounds very, very hollow to me.

Duke Nukem Forever deserves the bashing it gets in reviews. But at the same time the scores it is getting are highly inconsistent with the accepted norm in the gaming press as well.

News Comments > KAOS Studios Closed
11. Re: KAOS Studios Closed Jun 13, 2011, 14:42 spindoctor

Apparently Homefront 2 was confirmed just today. It was a given considering the number of sales the first one got, but it's kind of a dick move to announce/confirm it on the same day that the development studio got fired.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-thq-confirms-homefront-2-plans

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
20. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 12:11 spindoctor

Well, I personally thought the whole 'boycott' idea was laughable (when will gamers learn?) but at the same time I did think that EA would change their minds on this. It's too small of an issue for them to warrant even the bit of backlash this would bring upon them.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. It seems like they are sticking to their guns on this (forgive the horrible pun)

Your questions on Physical Warfare Pack and Back to Karkand pre-order items answered

It's not going to stop me from pre-ordering the game but it is kind of silly.

It's interesting that as much as everyone loves to hate Call of Duty, even they don't do this kind of shit. Pre-order only DLC, retailer specific DLC, day zero DLC, online pass for multiplayer and what not... this is all EA. Not even Activision stoops to this level.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 12, 2011, 17:30 spindoctor

These Steam daily deals turned out to be a bit shit didn't they?  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 12, 2011, 13:17 spindoctor

space captain wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:16:
doubtful... mass piracy and not getting any recognition are mutually exclusive

It doesn't even have to be mass piracy for the smaller games now does it. If it's a lesser known game or a niche game with a limited potential customer base in the first place, even a few hundred or a few thousand sales matter.

Dades wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:49:
You seem totally ignorant of how they got from A to B which is pretty important in the context of your example. I'll give you a hint, they didn't buy a developer lottery ticket.

And my point has completely flown over your head, so what can we do about that? How many games do you want me to list which got less sales than they deserved even though they were very, very good?

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2011, 17:12 spindoctor

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 16:55:

The luck being that it was a good game worth paying for.

There have been lots of good games worth paying for that never got the sales they deserved, which led to studios shutting down and no sequels ever getting made. Even making a good game is not enough... the luck part is actually getting people to pay for it.

Look I'm not saying Runic doesn't deserve it's success. Just that when an indie studio like Runic or a developer like Notch profess to having such a laid back attitude about piracy, it's mainly because their games have sold exceedingly well, they have millions in the bank and are probably set for life.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2011, 16:28 spindoctor

I think the biggest problem with E3 was that there was no mystery anymore. No real surprises (except for the Far Cry 3 demo I'd say). Everything that was going to be shown or announced had already been communicated, or leaked or gamers just plain guessed it.

Still, there were a few cool gameplay videos that came out of it. Guess that's better than nothing.

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2011, 16:24 spindoctor

Y’know, we’re cool with that, we’re not as concerned about that sort of thing as other companies

I suspect he wouldn't be as cool with that if Torchlight hadn't become as successful as it is. All credit to Runic for creating a nice game, pricing it cheap and marketing it well, but for every Torchlight, there must be dozens of indie games that never get any recognition, even if they are good. I suspect their developers wouldn't be quite so happy about pirated copies.

His attitude is good but let's not pretend that a huge slice of luck didn't play any part in shaping it.

News Comments > RAGE Delayed
14. Re: RAGE Delayed Jun 11, 2011, 10:51 spindoctor

Dev wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 09:24:
and clearly PC games are losing interest for valve.

clearly
Rolleyes

News Comments > AC: Revelations and CoJ: The Cartel Dates
2. Re: AC: Revelations and CoJ: The Cartel Dates Jun 9, 2011, 11:36 spindoctor

Yea I'm very skeptical that the PC version of Revelations will release alongside the console versions. I'd be extremely happy if it did though, because after waiting ~6 months for the PC release of the last 2 games, I was all ready to say screw it and buy a console copy of Revelations this year. Simultaneous release means I still get to play the game on PC and on time too.  

News Comments > RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million
7. Re: RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million Jun 8, 2011, 12:14 spindoctor

Gloat now good sir. Your game will be forgotten in 3 months and free to play by this time next year.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 12:12 spindoctor

I didn't particularly enjoy the open world of the last game. After the first couple of areas, it seemed that everything was repeated. The game was average to okay, and the open world aspect didn't necessarily contribute much to making it better.

I played the console demo of Armageddon and it was pretty fun. Absolutely linear as has been mentioned, but they had some pretty neat weapons in it and the mech at the end was awesome.

I have no particular fondness for the Red Faction franchise, so if Armageddon turns out to be a fun 7/10 game I can live with it. Something like summer movies.. watch and forget. They're not the ones that leave an impression on you.

News Comments > DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog
21. Re: DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog Jun 4, 2011, 08:45 spindoctor

Vazz wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 01:25:
Unless I missed a new detail, theater mode should still exist for free. They said they weren't getting rid of anything that's already in the game for cod elite.

Not getting rid of a feature is not the same as saying they won't charge for it

Theater mode seems like the perfect feature to add behind the paywall... it doesn't affect core gameplay in any way but it is a useful addition to the game, so I just assumed this is what they would charge for. Not really sure one way or the other.

News Comments > EA's Online Service
31. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 4, 2011, 00:15 spindoctor

G-Snake wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:18:
I will be horrified if Battlefield 3 is Origin/Retail only.

That is actually entirely plausible. They've already announced that the Old Republic will be exclusive to Origin.

EA takes on Steam with Origin, the only place to download The Old Republic

If they really want their Origin thing to take off, they will do the same for BF3. It's a smart move for their business, even if it's not for the consumer.

9. Re: DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog Jun 3, 2011, 23:37 spindoctor

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 23:17:

Battlefield 2, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, and Halo 3 / Reach all support demo recording in some form. Most RTSs obviously do. I've probably missed something.

As far as I can tell, Bad Company 2 doesn't. It would be a great feature for the Battlelog thing though.

Right BF2 is the last one I'd count from your list. Quake Wars came and went and no one noticed . And I'm aware that Halo has demo recording... it's actually a bit sad that console games can have it and PC games miss out mostly. Was referring to FPS games only btw.

And yea, it would have been a great thing to have in BC2. All of us have had our own special 'Battlefield moments' while playing the game, and it would have been awesome to be able to record demos of them. This is why I hope EA will actually give a feature set comparable to COD Elite instead of just touting that it's free but not making it as good.

7. Re: DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog Jun 3, 2011, 23:00 spindoctor

Will they be adding what is now known as Theater mode, or demo recording in the game? I was pleasantly surprised to see it in Black Ops and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was probably the first time demo recording was implemented in a non Valve/Source game in many years. Of course, they're making it a paid feature in COD Elite which means I won't be using it again but it is a nifty thing. So, will Battlefield have it as well?  

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo