Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for abhishek

Real Name abhishek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname spindoctor
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 131571317
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2005, 16:43
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 23149

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 29, 2011, 00:15 spindoctor

Yes the unoffical patches work with the Steam version.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 2K Czech and Bohemia Interactive Vets Form Studio
9. Re: 2K Czech and Bohemia Interactive Vets Form Studio Jul 26, 2011, 09:53 spindoctor

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 08:55:
It did? Good! Not because of the game itself, but because of the horrible DLC strategy which has mutilated the initial release.

I don't see any reason to be pleased about this. The DLC strategy wasn't the developer's fault. The fact that it bombed means we will probably never see another Mafia game, which is a shame if you enjoyed the previous games (which I personally did).

News Comments > Chantelise This Week, Demo Released
3. Re: Chantelise This Week, Demo Released Jul 26, 2011, 09:50 spindoctor

The demo is up on Steam as well

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70420/

No pre-orders but it will be 10% off for a week after it releases (on Friday)

News Comments > 2K Czech and Bohemia Interactive Vets Form Studio
6. Re: 2K Czech and Bohemia Interactive Vets Form Studio Jul 26, 2011, 08:09 spindoctor

I wonder if this means that 2K Czech is in danger of being shut down after Mafia 2 bombed in sales.  

News Comments > Epic on Bulletstorm Sales
59. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 24, 2011, 02:28 spindoctor

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 19:19:
I kind of liked the BulletStorm demo, but that's all I've of played of it so far. It'll make for a great daily deal during the Steam Christmas sale, though.

The Bulletstorm demo was a very weak representation of what the actual game is like. This is one of two critical mistakes Epic made with the game (the other being it was too short at 6-7 hours long... it should have been around twice as long to justify it's price).

Putting that aside, Bulletstorm was incredible fun to play. One of the most refreshing and entertaining shooters to come out in a long time. It's really a shame that it flopped because it sends a message to the game industry that gamers want Halo 9 and Gears of War 7 rather than a new IP that tries to do something else. This is a point driven home time and again when new and different games like this (or Vanquish or Enslaved on consoles) keep failing on the market.

As a result, almost every single 'big' release left for this year is a sequel. I guess Rage is the only one that qualifies as a new IP, but the rest (Deus Ex, Gears of War, Forza, Batman, Battlefield, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Skyrim, Saints Row, Assassins Creed..) are all sequels. I'm sure I've missed a few on the list as well which are also sequels. I'm not inherently against sequels if they are fun to play, but I do wish some new stuff would be successful once in a while.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy
33. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 23:09 spindoctor

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:30:

I'm not happy with having to use google checkout with my real email though. Maybe I can ask them to delete it or change my email afterwards.

They've also announced the game will be available to buy on Desura, which means you can use Paypal or your regular credit card. And they will have a system in place to convert Desura keys into Steam keys as well. So you won't have to use Google checkout if you don't want to, although I'm curious why you believe it's a problem?

http://theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2643

31. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 22:14 spindoctor

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 20:43:
What they need to do is change the authentication (or add if its missing one) procedure for legit versions and change the servers to match, so only new legit copies can connect. Yeah it means forcing everyone who wants to play the game to get an update, but that's better than killing the servers for everyone and offering refunds. It may even mean changing their cloud server account to some other company.

BTW, it looks like an interesting game, this is the first I've heard of it, how much were they charging?
Ah I found it:
http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/buy-our-games/
5 british pounds for lifetime license. Thats cheap.

Yep they are working on fixing the updates and authentication issues. What was taken from the servers was an incomplete, alpha build of the game so it's likely they hadn't worked out the security protocols fully.

This is one of those projects where your contribution helps fund the development of the game, so right now you're buying it on good faith. I liked what I saw in their free demo so I thought I should support these guys.

Vulkan wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 21:49:
About this bit: Maybe it was me dreaming it or something but I could swear reading somewhere that Valve had allowed Indie Stone the use of Steam's servers for distribution, do you know anything about this?

Yes. They have a very unique relationship with Steam. Valve has allowed their game to be hosted on Steam servers where you will be able to download the game and all updates through Steam's autopatching system. However, the game itself will not be available to purchase on Steam until it is actually finished. Right now they are very early in development, so that will take some time. In essence, Valve is supporting this indie dev with no immediate benefit to themselves, which is kind of neat.

It hasn't been implemented yet but it should happen eventually.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2011, 22:22.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
4. Re: Ubisoft Financials Jul 20, 2011, 22:08 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 21:03:
They're banking on that Assassin's Creed release in November, and probably rightly so. I would love to see sales for that franchise plummet now that they are milking it so badly though. I know I won't be buying the next one until it's expansion pack priced.

Also if they really expect Driver to sell well they're idiots.

Yea I don't know why the expect Driver to sell well. And Call of Juarez is about to get murdered in reviews as well, so sales there will dip.

However, Assassins Creed will sell like crazy. i just checked and they've managed to sell 8 million copies of Brotherhood in the 8 month it's been out. With that kind of momentum, there's no way the next one will crash.

nin wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 21:09:
Awwwwwwwww!

Fuck UBI!

Their sales are down because they didn't have any major releases in this last quarter. Last year it was Splinter Cell which sold extremely well and the new Price of Persia.

28. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 20:17 spindoctor

Vulkan wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 15:47:

The Project Zomboid lads haven't made close to a million dollars and they have roughly the same outlook on the situation.

It's interesting that you mention Project Zomboid because they are currently reeling from the effects of piracy. Their servers got breached and their game was stolen. The pirated copy was somehow hacked and could connect to their cloud servers for updates, which meant a lot of bandwidth costs for them from people who hadn't paid for it. As a result, the paid version of the game was removed from the site and as of now, customers who have paid for the game (including myself) can't download the game they paid for. Another consequence of this was that an update they are working on got delayed while they try and work out this problem. These things led to a lot of unrest on their official forums, which in turn led to the developers offering refunds on the game out of sheer frustration from all the bitching and moaning going on. People are now taking refunds, and who knows whether that's significant enough to hurt their financing or not. Call it cause and effect or the butterfly effect or something in between, but I'm pretty sure Project Zomboid is not thrilled about piracy at this very moment.

Piracy is good for exposure for small indie devs but not if that exposure doesn't result in sales. When someone like Jonathan Blow or Notch say piracy is no big deal, maybe it was that attitude that contributed to their success. Or maybe it's easy to say things like that when lady luck has smiled upon you so much that you're set for life and piracy can't affect you anymore.

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 10:59 spindoctor

How come we never hear enlightened statements about the virtues of piracy from indie developers who haven't made a million dollars from their sales?  

News Comments > The Darkness II Delayed
2. Re: The Darkness II Delayed Jul 19, 2011, 17:40 spindoctor

It was releasing on the same date as Forza 4, Dark Souls, Rage and the new Twisted Metal. They would have gotten slaughtered in sales.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Jul 10, 2011, 03:31 spindoctor

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:31:
and just overall the controls felt wrong.. i can't explain it.

Even Obsidian have acknowledged that the controls need work and said that they would release a patch for them. The game was obviously designed and meant to be played with a controller.

In general, this being an Obsidian game, of course there were going to be problems with it.

News Comments > Origin Exclusive Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition
36. Re: Origin Exclusive Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition Jul 10, 2011, 02:32 spindoctor

This Mass Effect digital deluxe thing doesn't bother me because the extras are never worth it, so I'll just get the regular edition on Steam.

This, on the other hand, does in fact piss me off...

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/bf3-digital-retailers

Can anyone spot what's missing?

News Comments > Torchlight Sells a Million
12. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 08:27 spindoctor

Krovven wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 00:21:
It was originally due out this past spring. Was delayed to August I believe.

I think it's delayed to September or October. Or I might be thinking of Trine 2. One of those is delayed definitely.

As for Torchlight, 1 million sales is pretty good. It would be nice to have more stats about the game sales... what percentages of sales were on which platform, retail v/s digital sales, average price paid per platform etc.

News Comments > Fortune Summoners Coming West This Year
2. Re: Fortune Summoners Coming West This Year Jul 5, 2011, 12:43 spindoctor

Recettear is a fantastic game and I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to try it out. I'll do the same for any other game Carpe Fulgur chooses to release.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins
18. Re: Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins Jun 30, 2011, 16:17 spindoctor

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 15:45:

Oh, and anyone that doesn't own Recettear better hop to it!

Seconded. An absolutely fantastic doujin game, part strategy (like the Tycoon series) and part dungeon crawler (although that aspect is very basic). And it's hard too, you will almost certainly lose the game the first time you play it.

A lot of people will overlook it because of the Anime art style or the fact that it's made in flash or something but it is an incredibly deep game, so much so that you can't even experience it fully until you finish the game and start a new game plus or the other post game modes. Well worth the 5$ asking price.

News Comments > Paradox on PC Games and E3
7. Re: Paradox on PC Games and E3 Jun 26, 2011, 04:07 spindoctor

Kobalt wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 16:39:
I think the reason pc games don't have e3 press conferences because there isn't any tripple a titles that aren't console ports..

Well, there are a handful like The Witcher 2 or Starcraft but I generally agree with your sentiment.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 25, 2011, 17:57 spindoctor

I'm kind of interested in Bastion. It does look pretty good. Wonder how much it will cost.  

News Comments > EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar
8. Re: EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar Jun 24, 2011, 23:24 spindoctor

Tumbler wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 22:15:
Everything in eve is for sale with enough money

This is why I'm having a hard time understanding the uproar. People already buy the ingame currency with money. They could then use that currency to buy anything in game. This is just cutting out one step in between and letting them buy items with money.

The only way this will affect game balance is if the items/ships/upgrades that can be bought with money are better than what you can get ingame. In other words, if there is no way to get those items unless you buy them from the store.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Has 10 Co-op Maps
8. Re: Battlefield 3 Has 10 Co-op Maps Jun 24, 2011, 19:20 spindoctor

Sounds like they're copying Spec Ops from MW2. Not necessarily a bad thing though, Spec Ops was a lot of fun to play with a friend.  

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo