Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 885 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hatred in June
17. Re: Hatred in June Apr 29, 2015, 16:19 saluk

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 11:22:
Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:00:
Not all that much different from that leading video game.

If you can't discern the differences you need professional help.

Can't. Going down the street and beating/killing a civilian with a ball bat for no reason is hideous, degree's no matter.

So don't go down the street beating/killing a civilian with a ball bat for no reason in the other game. Nothing is forcing you to, and there are plenty of fun activities to do that don't involve that.

One game makes random violence possible. The other makes random violence the point.

Not debating whether either game should exist... but they aren't the same at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Broken Age
12. Re: Ship Ahoy - Broken Age Apr 29, 2015, 03:31 saluk

Pretty great documentary. Watching the developers squirm and bleed is... fun? And we can armchair all the decisions and see how they play out in the game. I have a feeling this whole experiment will be part of designer curriculum going forward.

The game is not bad actually. It suffers most from hype, anti-hype, and the long wait between acts. There are other modern adventure games that are better; and others that are worse.

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
27. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 00:01 saluk

Good on them, although their backs were put to the wall. I think the idea of paid mods has merit, but the way they just barged into the existing and vibrant Skyrim community and turned over the apple cart showed a surprising lack of foresight. Not to mention that every aspect of how the system worked was problematic.

You usually hear about weird thing that valve wants to do years ahead of it, and you wonder when they will actually implement it, but there was so much secrecy involved here.

The best path for paid mods in my mind, is that mods of a certain age/size/rating are offered through some process to become a "featured" mod. It would be like third party dlc. They would have to achieve a standard, such as always being updated to work along with game updates and the like, and not make use of other mods. And it would be best to implement the system along with a new game rather than trying to jury rig it in something that's been around for 4 years already.

25% is insulting; though I think that it is a bit different as legally the publisher could just package your mods into dlc and sell it.

I think that overall even the messy system valve/beth set up was still a more positive direction than it could have gone.

News Comments > Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts
9. Re: Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts Apr 18, 2015, 17:47 saluk

As a complete outsider this sounds like utter nonsense. Why is it so important for a feature to be removed? Why does it take so long to remove it?

Is it more about replacing it with something else?

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
19. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 15:49 saluk

12k makes sense here. And yeah, it's probably the 3 4k monitors that is the main target.  

News Comments > Ghost in the Shell Online: First Connection Coming West
7. Re: Ghost in the Shell Online: First Connection Coming West Apr 9, 2015, 16:48 saluk

I just want an english DQX.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 9, 2015, 01:07 saluk

He ought to hire a community manager. Or just have a friend look over his shoulder and post updates. I know all too well how much extra those updates can take out of you. "I just broke my fingers coding this, and now you want me to go back and explain how badly I broke my fingers???" It's not a big deal at first, but it wears you down.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2015, 20:20 saluk

Don't people generally think they are smarter than they are anyway? Although I can see google/the internet (come on, why limit the effect to only one company?) helping you along.  

News Comments > Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter Postponed
9. Re: Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter Postponed Mar 25, 2015, 13:59 saluk

Now 100,000 would actually be a reasonable ask for the project they showed.  

News Comments > Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC This Spring
4. Re: Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC This Spring Mar 25, 2015, 12:52 saluk

This game was a big surprise. I liked that it was so long, with this genre I usually expect to be done in one or two sittings.  

News Comments > 16 Bit Arena Free on Steam
6. Re: 16 Bit Arena Free on Steam Mar 25, 2015, 12:50 saluk

16-bit > all

This on the other hand...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2015, 14:19 saluk

Oh Emmet. People need to stop predicting the end of things.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
72. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 15:48 saluk

Got to love the community at blues that in a report that contains such hyperbole as "most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life" that everyone jumps on "controller felt superior to playing with a mouse".

Don't y'all ever tire of being so predictable?

News Comments > More LucasArts Games on GOG.com
6. Re: More LucasArts Games on GOG.com Mar 19, 2015, 14:17 saluk

No Infernal Machine? I remember when that was an N64 rental only title, so funny.  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
79. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 19, 2015, 05:23 saluk

Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 23:56:
Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:42:
Apologies, don't feel like reading all the posts on this topic. I'm guessing someone must have already said this..

But what exactly has Valve been doing for the past 5 years?

Well they've worked on a lot of different things - TF2, Dota 2, Source 2 apparently, Portal 2, etc. Just not a lot in terms of singular output I guess. I'd really like to see L4D3 soon and I don't mind waiting for HL3. Anything with a 3 really haha.

It must be nice to be in their position but I have to admit that they really earned it.

they didn't earn this, they got lucky. they took a big scary gamble in the form of a 4-year legal battle against their publisher. no one had ever done what they did, and many did not think it would succeed. but they won, and now that's all they do. Valve birthed Steam, now Steam has grow so large it has inadvertently swallowed up all real development like a black hole.

There is no Valve anymore, it's just Steam. The apprentice has eaten it's master.

Taking risks and getting lucky = earning it.

It's clear that they are still working on software, they just are in R+D mode and are not ready to clarify what they are working on until they are sure. As they always do. Whatever it is is probably going to have heavy use of workshop (where steam makes percentage profits) or multiplayer + cosmetics (where valve makes tons of profit forever)

78. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 19, 2015, 05:07 saluk

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 13:22:
If that was true and they don't care about making software anymore because of no motivation, no $ etc., what is their motivation to make a new OS (for free), and hardware?
I am pretty sure they will not make nearly the profit on Steam VR headsets as they make on digital hats, and trading cards.

Really? Why did google invest in android? Why did facebook buy oculus? Why do companies try to sell their products in more than just their own country?

Growth. The general plan that all businesses follow is pretty simple. Create a market, maximize that market, then create another market. With the market share in the hardcore pc market pretty well shored up by steam, the only way to grow is to get their platform somewhere else.

That isn't to say that the ONLY motivation they have is $ - far from it. People at valve have their own interests and projects and that is encouraged. The largest chunk of the effort of the company is going to be centered on those projects that are both interesting AND help grow the company.

38. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 13:16 saluk

WaltC wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 12:10:
If Valve doesn't do another Half-Life, then what motive would the company have for developing a newer Source engine? I mean, there are lots of very inexpensive 3d-engines circulating these days, so it certainly isn't because Valve expects to make a lot of money selling the engine independently. But if there's a HL3 that makes dramatic and good use of a new Source engine, then that might just stimulate interest in a new Source engine as a salable product.

The fact that Newell is double-talking when it comes to HL3 is both characteristic of Newell in general (if he can confuse a topic rather than clarify it Newell is there with bells on) and somewhat disappointing.

I could care less about multiplayer for HL3, actually--that seems enormously boring to me. The HL story is one with much remaining potential for *single-player* if only Newell and Valve can muster up the energy to talk about it (or even do it?) That seems to be the problem--Valve is spending its time (wasting?) on silly PR projects designed to promote Valve's public hot-air profile (Steam machine, VR, etc.) when the true pot of gold for the company won't be some silly gimmick like that. It'll be a masterful HL3.

Gabe says he's learned a lot--but what he doesn't seem to have learned in all of these years is just how much people loved the HL universe and still care about it. I think that is a remarkable bit of self-deception. If he's not doing a HL3 then the least he could do is say so, sell the IP, and move over for someone to do something with the property.

He's learned that there is more money in tools and platforms that support games than in games themselves. Not self-deception at all, it's pretty true. While the size of the steam community roughly equaled the size of the half life community 10 odd years ago, a large percentage of steam users would probably not even buy it if it came out. I don't think it's as surefire a win as people think.

Not only has it been pretty long and the IP has weakened, but the single player fps genre has also shrunk in importance.

News Comments > TITAN X Available
19. Re: TITAN X Available Mar 18, 2015, 01:20 saluk

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 20:27:
4K on PC LCDs is overrated anyway. It will rock on TVs above 40" in a few years once native 4K content becomes more commonly available but what do you need 4K for on a 24" to 32" LCD on your desk or maybe even a laptop screen?
It might become more interesting on the PC side if and when VR ever takes off since 4K is effectively 2K but I don't really see much of a use in regular desktop usage.
The image might maybe become ever so slightly sharper at 4K instead of 1080p/1440p on 24" to 32" but you have to try really hard to imagine it.

And then you also have to deal with shitty scaling all of the time as long as game devs can't be bothered to optimize their UIs for anything higher than the console typical 1080p.
Windows isn't much better either. Everything is tiny on a 24" to 32" at 4K. Let's hope that Windows 10 really ups the ante when it comes to proper scaling across a wide range of resolutions.
I'm a very happy camper for now with a 32" screen at 1440p. It will take VR and much faster (and cheaper) GPUs than this TitanX to make me consider moving on to 4K.

I think you are missing the use case of 3 monitor setups for simulation games. I dunno if that's 4k technically, but it's way beyond 1080p. This is pc. If there is a tech of any kind, someone will find a use for it.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
82. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 16:40 saluk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:23:
InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:02:
Im impatient because the game that was originally pitched is not the same one that is currently being developed? Wow, just wow.
Yeah, how dare they upgrade that little shack you bought and give you a mansion for no extra cost. But wait, the front door is red not blue?!? It's an outrage!

I bought a beautiful cottage in the countryside. I'm getting an upscale apartment in the middle of NYC. While they are both residences, they are not the same experience, and those who were expecting the cottage have a right to be upset.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 11, 2015, 22:18 saluk

It sounds interesting, though it sounds like it is more of a game show. Fits the current gaming climate well I would think. The REAL game is the audience betting on the poor tributes and handing out sponsorship rewards a la hunger games. If the scenario and gameplay are interesting enough it could work.  

885 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo