Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 727 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shovel Knight
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shovel Knight Jun 27, 2014, 17:40 saluk

Been curious about this one and waiting to see how it fares, it really looks put together with care. But, steam sale, backlog... eh. Someday maybe.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes
2. Re: Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes Jun 26, 2014, 18:59 saluk

Nice.  

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
44. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 17:33 saluk

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:48:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 13:46:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:33:
C'mon Cuts, your Minecraft hate only comes across as jealousy. Also, there's no such thing as an in-crowd.

And everything else you have to say is invalid after that statement.

you just don't offer any valid criticism of the game other than saying its a bandwagon affair. Newsflash, most popular things start off as a bandwagon, but Minecraft has absolutely transcended all boundaries. Like I said, (you read it) it's a cultural phenomenon. It reaches almost everyone now. This in-crowd of which you speak, is almost everyone but you. the "in-crowd" is just phrase used to disparage something.

Clearly you don't understand a thing about sociology. You can do a doctorate on the topic if you like but I'll keep it simple.

"What is a cultural phenomenom?

A cultural phenomenon, also known as the bandwagon effect, occurs when certain individuals behave a certain way merely because other individuals do as well. An example of a cultural phenomenon is the trend of sending flowers on Valentine's Day.

A cultural phenomenon also occurs when something or someone gains widespread popularity. This includes everything from films to musical artists to clothing styles. The thing that gains popularity is not a cultural phenomenon; rather, the cultural phenomenon is the process of something becoming popular. For example, Beyonce accumulating a large fan base is a cultural phenomenon. The theory is people are more prone to like something because other people like it."

And yes, the in-crowd isn't me. Never has been, never will be. I disparage anyone who goes along because it's the easy thing to do. Because they're afraid to be on the outside. I've rebelled my whole life over that shit. Maybe I'm just a contrarian but the idea of living a life going to BBQs and ballgames, and hanging out around the water cooler talking about American Idol or playing Minecraft simply because other people do makes me throw up in my mouth.

What criticism of the actual game do I need to provide? That its ugly? That other games have editors that allow you build stuff? If you think mining pixels or voxels or whatever the fuck they are is the height of culture then you're only proving my point for me.

What exactly does Minecraft provide as an actual game that no other game can provide. Please educate me. What exactly is the draw that's so utterly compelling and unique about it? I tried it for all of 30 minutes and I literally found that watching paint dry was far more entertaining. Literally.

No, it's a cultural phenomenon. One member of the herd hears about it and is told that this is what all the cool kids are doing. And being the conformist he is he can risk social alienation or he can go along with the crowd. Then when someone asks him about it it gives him a sense of validation and self-importance. And the cycle continues.

I'll just leave this here on my way out....
Conformity

A group of friends can get together, build things together, be creative together, and customize a game experience to their own desires, without leaving the game. This is something that hasn't really been done anywhere close to this level before. The graphics have an appeal, you may think they are ugly, but they are attractive to people. They strike a balance between simplicity, conveyance, expressibility etc. They allow unskilled creators to build decently looking things that still fit their surroundings.

Also, gamifying the creation aspects is pretty innovative. When people want to create X, they need to acquire enough Y, and there is a relatively simplistic but fun progression to go through to get that Y. This progression takes you through the randomly generated landscapes that are fun for people to explore.

One of my younger cousins is on the autistic spectrum, and he spends hours building things, chasing chickens, and whatever else. He doesn't do it because his friends do it, he does it because it gives him an expansive world that he can hope to understand. I'm sure this is not uncommon.

Surely the explosive growth and popularity can be attributed to a kind of network effect - but it wouldn't have happened the same way or had the kind of staying power it has had if the core had no value. And if you only played it for 30 minutes, and/or do not like to create things, you are not really in a position to "get it".

Realtime communal creativity amidst hardship is a genre now. Ignore it if you like, but it's a thing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 25, 2014, 21:20 saluk

Apparently they've already been working with Carbon Design on input prototypes and the design of the consumer rift, buying them so they can put all of their energy into it makes sense. Kind of funny though

Android model is the worst idea ever though. Holy crap. People don't know what vr is, don't give them 1000s of competing options. They need to be the iphone v1 right now, the one that makes everyone go "Oh so THAT'S what a smartphone is. I need that."

Ugh.

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
40. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 21:07 saluk

Still looking forward to it. Even if it is not as great as it sounds, I still think procedural tech is the way of the future. Less so for the gameplay in this case I think, and more in terms of graphics. With their small art team, there is no way they would have been able to create the rich graphical diversity that they have without the procedural technology. I see it more as a way to fix some annoying things games still have, such as cloned models, lack of diversity, etc. Even if this just turns out to be a cool proof of concept.

Do hope for a pc version though, no current or future plans to get a ps4. It is kind of annoying to see it get locked down as well.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2014, 14:22 saluk

"Former The Last Guardian devs form indie studio Friend & Foe with two games on the way."

Hmm. Can't tell if good or bad sign of TLG progress I really wish they would just come out and either cancel it or release it as-is.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped
41. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 18:13 saluk

I agree with Axis on FC1 - I've played some of FC2 and beaten FC3, but FC1 really blows them away. I'm starting to feel that open world design in general is just lazy. Linear story structure + open local gameplay >>>>> generic loose structure + linear local gameplay. FC2 and 3 are just so bland - run to this outpost with enemies + clear; run to this outpost with enemies + clear. Games are inherently repetitive, but you lose the feeling of a journey, "what is going to happen next?" that the linear structure of FC1 had.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained
11. Re: Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained Jun 20, 2014, 18:02 saluk

Panickd wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 10:15:
BitWraith wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:41:
Yeah I call BS. So what if it affects performance. Make it a toggle in the options and move on. I have lots of games with options that affect performance.

If they did that you'd be going, "I toggle this higher quality setting that I know my machine can run and it makes my game crash! This is bullshit! FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT!"

Frankly Watch Dogs in more than enough unstable as it is. If they can add these settings back in later, after they get the game running acceptably as they released it, then great. And if not disabling the options doesn't get anyone's hopes up. They should have just pulled them completely but they were probably long forgotten about.

There's no BS in that paragraph - it is very corpspeak though. They took the conservative approach to be (as) safe (as possible) and ship on time. As a console focused company, they approach pc with console sensibilites (as most devs do). The mentality is a unified experience as opposed to, here's the scaled down version for low end machines and here's the scaled up version for high end machines. They treat the PC as if it is the third console alongisde ps and xbox, without the nuance the platform really should have. Rather than make questionable effects toggle-able, they tend to disable them, unless the right people sign off on them.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
63. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 20, 2014, 02:19 saluk

Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 17:51:
The campaign in Divinity's early access is about 20% of the game (at least it was a couple months ago, the game might be even bigger by now), and I shit you not you can spend a game's-worth of hours just playing around with characters till you find a combo you like the most.

The campaign can be played however you like, and it's heavily story based. Initially I paid attention to all the conversations (heck you can even disagree and argue with your own party memebers, who then get different character bonus's based on how *you* think they would respond).

After a few play-throughs I just tried to be as creative as possible with the engine, training the city with orcs, surrounding npc's with flammables, reloading loots, poisoning the locals, burning down locked doors, all kinds of stuff you can do. I cannot WAIT for the mod editor - that will just put the game into epic status.

Hell, me and Horrorscope were talking the other night, I recognized his name and we're all in global chat - how's that for cool... You'll love it man I'm tellin ya.

Sounds really good. Glad Larian is finally meeting the potential they showed back with Divinity 1 (which was a great game in its own right). Still, I think I'll wait for this to come out with all the bells and whistles and maybe go on sale again - just because of backlog issues.

News Comments > The Game Theory of Life
3. Re: The Game Theory of Life Jun 19, 2014, 23:59 saluk

Erm, while interesting this has nothing to do with games. I would have put it under etc  

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
11. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 23:58 saluk

Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 23:10:
So what they're basically saying is that the game is poorly optimized and they can't guarantee a stable framerate beyond 30 FPS.

Eh, sounds more like just covering their ass just in case.

As far as a port, xbox one is pretty much a mid/low end pc, and it makes a lot of sense to keep performance pretty similar to what it already was. The game was originally optimized for 30fps, changing the optimization strategy for 60fps for wide audience machines (many of which have WORSE specs than the xbone) would be quite difficult.

I'm glad they are at least letting higher end users try to push it a little more. Would be gladder if they actually took the effort to support the uncapped mode. Devs lately (capcom more than most) seem to go out of their way to appear lazy. "Uh, guys? We put the exes on a pc and ran it a couple times, and it seems to run. We didn't bother with testing it or anything, it ran OK I guess. Give us money? We did add resolution options!"

News Comments > All Backers Get Wasteland 2 Beta Access
3. Re: All Backers Get Wasteland 2 Beta Access Jun 19, 2014, 23:41 saluk

I want to try it out... but I don't have my key yet. I wonder what "soon" means.  

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
9. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 18, 2014, 20:30 saluk

I love Phil Fish.

He is so fun to hate.

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
18. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 16:29 saluk

Oh man this brings back so many memories of Deus Ex deathmatch. The powers were a lot of fun, hacking turrets and shooting rockets across the map to find the cloaking people... Blowing off someones legs and watching them hobble around crouched lol. One of the best online games ever in my opinion, though few played it.

Whatever this is I'm sure it's not that haha. A coop mode a la system shock would really rock. As long as they don't take away from the main sp experience, I'm all for it. If it's DX the mmo.... no one wants that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 16, 2014, 06:53 saluk

I have mixed thoughts on this EA stuff.

Most of the games that do really well in EA wouldn't happen otherwise. They are too indie to have finances sunk in by a big company, and too huge to be undertaken without capital. It's definitely ripe for both abuse or bad management - but that happens everywhere so I don't see it as a unique flaw to the model.

All the crap is a bit unsightly right now, but that's true of the steam store in general, even if you ignore EA. There are just too many people making games, and it's getting hard to tell what is worth the time any more. I love my indie games, and there are a lot of excellent titles, but I do worry that we are headed to a major crash, and the EA stuff isn't doing anything to help that.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
12. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 17:34 saluk

It does make a certain kind of sense to publish former THQ IP under the same name.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
25. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 03:37 saluk

Deciding to end stretch goals - smart. Putting that decision up to a vote - signifies everything wrong with how this project is being run.

No one is steering the ship.

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
15. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 13, 2014, 03:28 saluk

Same. Horror = ugh. Not quite horror, but I recently played this time travel demo where one of the scenarios puts you in a flat in 1941 right before the planes fly over london. Really basic graphics and sounds, but it was enough to cause a real reaction in me enough that I had to take off the headset.

With great power comes great responsibility devs.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details
27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 15:22 saluk

harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:41:
This game is going to run very poorly on PC, just like GTA IV did when it came out. I still remember tweaking GTA IV for days on end and I had a pretty beastly machine at the time. It took a few more generations of hardware to max it out at relatively high and consistent FPS. It will look amazing, but I bet it will be at very low FPS. It runs pretty good on an old xbox 360, but that's with most of the graphics options toned down. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing for such an old console. In a few years, we'll be able to run it on max settings but I doubt that many people will be able to at launch.

for some reason i get the feeling rockstar wont be repeating that mistake

it could just be wishful thinking, but i dont know.. gotta keep in mind this gen consoles are almost exactly the same as gaming pc architecture, unlike last gen

it would be nice to see some footage of it running on pc tho

Yeah I really doubt it will be as bad as IV. Modern PCs run IV just fine, and I don't see V as pushing the tech that much more that it would be a problem. It's also a different era of console-pc ports, most companies have gotten a lot better at it since then.

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
53. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:13 saluk

"We have decided not to implement a female assassin in our game out of historical relevance and to fit the story we are telling."

Fine by me.

"We have decided that recreating revolutionary paris with a 1:1 scale of notre dame is definitely feasable for our next title. We thought about adding female assassin's, but... it sounds hard to do."

WHAT. THE. FLYING. I'm not a person who swears. BUT FUCK.

727 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo