Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 604 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2013, 18:48 saluk

Games are probably art. But they are considerably different from other art forms. You can't say, oh, they aren't as good at movies, because they aren't on the same spectrum. I think the people who claim they AREN'T art and the people who claim they ARE generally are saying the same thing, just with a slightly different phrasing. Games excercise different emotions in slightly different ways than other media.

The dialog between the creator the the viewer is more direct than in other media: the designer says "go here, I have something to show you" and the player says "yes, I agree with you and want to see what you have to say" or "no I'm going to go here instead, you can't tell me what to do".

When the designer has something clever to say to that second option, or even better, secretly wants the player to choose that second option, games are pretty powerful in a way other media can't touch.

But it's not the same kind of dialog you see elsewhere. So we have two options really. Expand "art" to include this new media, or call it something else. Historically, new media tends to eventually expand "art" to include it. I expect with enough time this will just happen. We will laugh about the good old days when people argued about whether games were art or not, and we will be deriding some new thing as not worthy of the term.

Personally, as long as games are respected for the talent and creativity that are put into them, and the unique experiences that they can enable, I don't really care what term is used.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 15:36 saluk

briktal wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 11:26:
I'm still not sure why this game is supposed to be good. It's a second big RPG being worked on by a developer that's made 1 decent game, 1 bad game, and 1 failed and cancelled game in 10 years.

It's a bit of a leap of faith - more of a hope that it's good than any kind of "oh yeah, torment is going to kick butt!" The decent game they made was actually an rpg - none of their other titles have been. Moreover, the people involved have actually made great games, and there are people on this project who worked on the first torment.

It also helps a lot that the design of torment and wasteland 2 are very clear and have been successful designs in the past. Sequels are harder to do badly, especially if you follow the formula and don't try and change genre mid-series (*cough* ME *cough*).

So all in all, leap of faith, yes, but not blind misplaced optimism.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
31. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 02:40 saluk

Buh, people are complaining about this? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but wtf. This is a side mission focusing on combat because 1) that's what they've been working on the most and 2) they didn't want to spoil anything. Not to mention it looked like the guy playing really likes violence. In no way does that imply that that's going to be the only way to do things. Besides the fact that most crpgs throughout history do tend to lean a bit (or a lot) heavier on combat than the pnp version. There are a lot of neat things in here that I wasn't really expecting to see, leylines, the abomination, sneaking the drone through the vent, etc. It's the first video we've seen, it's going to be cool to see what more they do. The combat is a lot better than the snes game  

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:24 saluk

I can understand the controlled environment thing, really. You can predict and guess that there will be launch issues with a connected game, but you can't really review a guess now can you. Also, if the gameplay (in a controlled environment) is really good until the game goes on for a while, I'm not sure how much you can fault reviewers in coming away with a good impression. There are some obviously paid off reviews going on here, but what I see is more a mismanaged launch and poor publisher decisions rather than a bad game per se. We know mmo reviews are pointless, I think the same is kind of true here.

My sister was upset she wouldn't be able to get simcity right away because she is broke, well, by the time they fix their shit, maybe she'll afford it

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 12:18 saluk

The gameplay is looking really tight so far. The art as well has really come together too, I like the painted look. It really brings me back to my HS shadowrunning days  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
25. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 14:10 saluk

I wonder how many hours to pass all these stretch goals. 2, 3 more maybe? This is crazy. I haven't been able to play all the way through the first game. I like it a lot but I don't quite get the rabid following it seems to have.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2013, 13:57 saluk

Bahahaha, malware is expensive to fight, thus piracy bad. Cause no piracy no malware right?

But even the data is badly represented:

Sixty-four percent of the people respondents knew who had used counterfeit software experienced security issues.

A friend of a friend of a friend? Not real data.

Interestingly, at the end of the white paper, they reveal that the infection rates have actually gone DOWN since 2006.

Still, it's pretty common knowledge that you are more likely to be infected if you pirate. I don't really have an issue with a study used to tell people to stop pirating as a safety precaution. That's fairly sensible, and one of the reasons why I stopped pirating when I started having an income.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week
17. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week Mar 5, 2013, 17:36 saluk

If you are not happy with the way the wasteland 2 project has been handled until now, by all means question whether it's a good idea to fund the same crew in more projects. On the other hand, if you are pleased with the progress so far as I have been, that's not a reason to ignore their next project on principle. It makes sense for studios to stagger projects - it happens all the time, and means less downtime between releases where funds become a major issue in keeping the company afloat - and where the public forgets who you are.

It's reasonable though to question how their continued development on other projects and starting this project may interfere with each other, and expect them to account for that.

I do expect them to sell me not only on torment but on project management between the two projects in the campaign, so by starting this now I think they will have a tough campaign.

At the end of the day, the good thing about crowdfunding is we do, en mass at least, get to be involved in these kinds of decisions.

News Comments > Game Mod Causes a "Six Strikes" Strike?
7. Re: Game Mod Causes a Mar 5, 2013, 16:40 saluk

Nothing to see here, no strike was issued. It's just an invalid dmca takedown notice, the likes of which occur all the time. The monitoring company that sent this takedown may be involved with six strikes, but as that works off of peer 2 peer it's a different ballgame.

Still waiting for six strike false alarms to start blaring

News Comments > New Arkham Game Revealed
13. Re: New Arkham Game Revealed Mar 5, 2013, 16:12 saluk

Asylum was so clean, city had a bunch of random boring stuff that didn't flow as well. Still good in general, but not as put together. I beat Asylum very quickly, I'm only about 50% in City and keep trying to go in and finish it but not really caring that much to.

I hope they return more to the structure of the first game.

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
27. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:06 saluk

You aren't 100% guaranteed safe in high-sec, but it's not like you are going to by flying around scared of an attack any minute.

I play this game for a couple months every couple years or so. I'm glad it exists, if only for the interesting news stories about crazy wars that break out or in-game banks that scam the entire playerbase out of all of their money. But it's not the space mmo I WANT to play.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 14:42 saluk

GoT season 3 about to start and six strikes in effect?

W00t, time to start pirating again o/

News Comments > PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs
22. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 14:20 saluk

Ah, are we at that point in the cycle again? Yay.  

News Comments > EA All-in on Microtransactions
32. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 14:08 saluk

BF3 will be my last EA game. Partly because of the business-centric rather than customer-centric focus, and partly because none of their games since BF3 have interested me, and even that didn't live up to the hype.  

News Comments > The Banner Saga: Factions Launches
3. Re: The Banner Saga: Factions Launches Feb 26, 2013, 23:53 saluk

I wish I liked the game better. I usually go for this genre, but there are so many design choices that just make it feel so slow and not fun. RNG, one character per turn, arenas that look small but are full of space that take forever to cross... There is a real disconnect between theme and gameplay.

I would rather play chess.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website
28. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 26, 2013, 00:35 saluk

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 18:44:
Definitely something to look forward to based on what has been shown so far. I could see spending hours just f'ing around with the daily operation of the city. One issue I can see is that it would seem impossible for every last single NPC in the game to be totally unique, that would be an insanely huge database, so how's it going to work? Are there going to be a multitude of Janets walking around who just got evicted? If every single citizen in the game is unique that would be awsome. Of course being a next gen console game it's at least two years away from a purchase for me at any rate... if at all, depends on the PS4, XBOX isnt even in the running as I refuse to pay to play and I don't see M$ drooping that, um, feature.

It doesn't look like it's ps4 only. It wouldn't be that hard to make all the characters "unique". Use a character creator, randomize the sliders, randomize a name, randomize the character's story. With careful effort, nothing would even need to be saved and you could guarantee a new, unique character to spawn whenever it is needed. OTOH even a large predefined database of characters would not take that much room.

The question is what HAVE they done.

I think when he said there was no mission or objectives, he was defining that for the demo, and stressing that the situation wasn't scripted. If it truly wasn't scripted or cleaned up for the demo, that's very cool. But we've time and again seen how demos and final games can differ *cough* aliens:cm *cough*.

I'm almost done with sleeping dogs, if this is as fun it wont be hard to get me to buy in. But it will make me sad if it falls short of the interconnected world they are selling.

News Comments > ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today
18. Re: ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today Feb 25, 2013, 02:07 saluk

Good job for ROAM! It's a strong project, and nice to see them reach their goal and pass it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system?ref=category looks really cool. I don't know if I want to play it, but the personal appeal is very strong. I really like how much effort he is putting into it! I'm on the fence, I don't know how much fun I would find it personally, but I would be sad if he doesn't raise the money.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 16:36:
ASeven wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 16:27:
More interesting KS projects:

http://kck.st/VVo87T - FTL 2 by any other name...
http://kck.st/VZYEXb
http://kck.st/TGEsYc

Aurora Rising -> http://kck.st/VVo87T

I am very on the fence about this.. 15k$ is not exactly much, but seeing the same approach to the ship overview as in FTL doesn't make me hopeful.. I had hoped for a much more detailed crew and ship management aspect, maybe even turn based... FTL got way too chaotic sometimes.

I'm not even on the fence here. Yeah, so what if he takes FTL and runs with it. It's called game development... I too really enjoyed the combat system of FTL but wished that the framework surrounding it was a bit more interesting.

On the other hand, the graphic style is too similar. I would have liked to see some more effort done in selling it and differentiating it from it's predecessor. He doesn't really make a strong sale overall.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced
11. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 saluk

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:04:
Really? I enjoyed the nostalgia but have no urge to go back after that. I'd imagine a lot of others feel the same?

Your mistake is that thinking others who still enjoy this style of game only enjoy it for nostalgia. Some of us still like this type of rpg for what it provides and want more.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter
2. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 19:41 saluk

Great pitch guys. Modest funding goal, very clear and well-defined game design, good early artwork, and a team that has shipped similar products multiple times with success. I don't know if I care enough about this kind of game to pledge, (I prefer straight adventure or straight rpg) but this is what kickstarter is for.  

News Comments > Activison Cuts 30 Staff
2. Re: Activison Cuts 30 Staff Feb 19, 2013, 19:40 saluk

Damn commented on the wrong post, sorry.  

604 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo