Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 687 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 16:54 saluk

He means they never released their names to the public. You need a lot of stuff to start a kickstarter, including an amazon payments account which is another level. Who knows - maybe this is all a scam to get more funding for the documentary  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
35. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:21 saluk

Sepharo wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:13:
NKD wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:10:
Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test.

I wouldn't say that's usual. That's probably unusually low for beta access on the Kickstarters I've seen. That's the usual price just for digital delivery when it's done.

Yeah, almost every kickstarter I've backed I've elected out of alpha or beta because they were too high for me to justify it.

And it's actually good to limit the size of an alpha test, and limit beta a bit less. ALL tests do this through some mechanism or other; either by price in this case, or by having limited invites. Limiting by price is genius, the people willing to pay more for early access are more likely to invest time into the game and in giving good feedback.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
30. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:52 saluk

I was shocked to see the price, but I figured I would just ignore it for now since no way would I pay that much. After drilling down into the reasoning, it seems, well, perfectly reasonable.

The rest of us can wait for the real thing; which will hopefully be great.

News Comments > Three Assassin's Creed Games in the Works
2. Re: Three Assassin's Creed Games in the Works Jun 15, 2013, 01:41 saluk

I am a huge fan of the series. Even I say enough is enough.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 15:20 saluk

With all this talk of the 24 hour check in, the kinect that may or may not be watching you, and the weird drm to prevent used games; I think the thing that worries me the most is the cloud stuff. If developers really rely on that, a bunch of games will be broken in a few years when support goes away. I'm not much of a fan of modern games, I like playing older games a lot more. This cloud stuff really sucks for preservation.  

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
16. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 15:03 saluk

The little they showed really doesn't fill me with confidence. What's with the fallout 3 VAT system making an appearance?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 03:13 saluk

robdot wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 01:03:
I have 3 consoles, and when there are on, they are "always on". My current 360 is always on. My tv is wifi, and when its on, the wifi is on. Always. So what? My laptop is online RIGHT NOW ! GASP !! All this drm stuff is the pirates fault. I hate and despise these people. and i dont pirate, so if a game publisher wants to check my code, im cool with it. See, if i buy a new car, ford doesnt tell me what i can do with it, who i can lend it to, or sell it to. But, i cant take my ford home, make 1000 copies and give them to my friends either, if i did that, and other people did that, i bet you ford would be pretty pissed off. If i can share my games with family members (grandkids) on their consoles, at their house, then we are gonna fucking love this system. IF thats how it works, microsoft is being unclear. But there could be some awesome benefits to this idea and its possible microsoft is ahead of the game. Can we co op with one game? I dunno, they are being really stupid and not stressing the benefits to the consumer.

Can you please tell me the benefits to the consumer? The problem with these always online things is that they always break. You, someone who does not pirate, are happy to accept a system that will break and punish you for the sins of someone else who does pirate. You get home after a rough day of work, plop in your single player game to relax, and lo and behold; the system tells you it could not sync with the server, therefore it will not let you play games. We don't know the specifics of how this will work, but based on every always on drm that's been tried, this is not a far fetched scenario.

I shudder at the backlash on xbox one launch week when every single person who purchased the console is unable to use them because the registration system borked out under load. Microsoft probably will have it under control; but you never know with these things.

News Comments > No BF4 Mod Support
24. Re: No BF4 Mod Support Jun 14, 2013, 02:53 saluk

I remember when nwn forced people to buy dlc because modders kept releasing cool stuff that required it. Imagine if Dice would work with the mod community. Oh, you are making a mod of this era? What if we release a dlc with really good simulation of the handling of vehicles x y and z, and you guys can focus on maps and weapons. Or releasing dlc that actually adds interesting features to the game that modders want to incorporate into their maps. It would be so glorious.

Bah.

News Comments > Fez II Announced
14. Re: Fez II Announced Jun 14, 2013, 02:45 saluk

coming soon to a next-next gen system in say, 2017?  

News Comments > Double Fine Working on Two Unannounced Games
3. Re: Double Fine Working on Two Unannounced Games Jun 14, 2013, 02:42 saluk

Dang. That's kinda crazy. I love the creativity in the team, and it seems like the many smaller projects is a better way to go than putting a lot of money and effort into big things that don't quite go as far as they need to. But at the same time I'd like to see them put a little more polish into a few less games. I dunno if anything they're working on is as exciting as the first psychonauts was for me.

Is one of the unannounced games psychonauts 2?

News Comments > DNF Royalties Lawsuit
22. Re: DNF Royalties Lawsuit Jun 13, 2013, 19:29 saluk

The real winner is going to be the guy that turns this into a screenplay.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2013, 17:27 saluk

Good points HoSpanky. Anytime you bump up some fidelity, you tend to notice the flaws in the existing content a lot more. It's not just a matter of making the 3d work right, but also making all of the effects etc in 3d. So much is still faked. I bought a brand new beefy pc to play farcry 3 in HD, and was stunned at how lifeless the backgrounds suddenly looked. When I was playing it in 800x600, the screen may have been a mess of pixels, but my brain imagined a lot of detail in the backgrounds that simply isn't there.

I think the oculus, like playstation 3d, is going to have a lot of trouble with many "oculus-ready" games that really aren't, and a limited selection of truly "ready" experiences that aren't really full concept games.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2013, 16:07 saluk

The retail version was always planned to be at least 1080p. It's good that they are actually showing it and not just promising it though.

The bigger question for me is the price. The devkit is very reasonable at 300, but it's not clear if that is accurately priced for scale (or profit margin). With a ramped up production line, the cost could go down; but if they are selling devkits at or below cost the price could easily go up.

Not to mention the retail version will have more kit in it, with positional tracking still to be added.

Anyone else find it interesting pairing the rift, which is kind of a more advanced 3d, and espn 3d coming to an end?

News Comments > Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs
20. Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs Jun 12, 2013, 16:24 saluk

Don't see the negativity here. They were already porti9ng to WiiU, which is like, whatever. But the updates they are doing they are going to put them back on the original systems too, which is kind of nice. If they are reselling it, yeah, pretty unlikely most people who already own it will rebuy it, but I don't see how its a bad thing.

They should take a page out of CD Project's handbook and release it as a free upgrade.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2013, 19:24 saluk

There is a difference between, "oh yeah, I'm sure the nsa has ways to get at your data" and "here is the method nsa uses to steal private inforation, and the companies they have backroom, non-public, secret deals with".  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage
23. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage Jun 10, 2013, 04:01 saluk

Finally, a console game that looks as good as Crysis 1. Maybe even better! Been waiting 5 years for this level of fidelity.  

News Comments > Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale
12. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Jun 7, 2013, 15:42 saluk

Sweet, just started playing again yesterday - now I can upgrade for cheap.  

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 14:17 saluk

Windows 8 is not hard to use. I don't even mind going to metro (although I just type and search to find my programs).

But this has to be the dumbest thing microsoft has ever done. Attempting to meet a highly requested user need by something that's completely opposite of what they want? I don't even...

Here's another thing that's rich: "It'll also be possible to have multiple windows from a single app so that, for example, two browser windows can be opened side-by-side."

Wow. It's now possible to have multiple windows. What a modern ui!

News Comments > Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter
9. Re: Massive Chalice - Double Fine's Strategy Game Kickstarter May 31, 2013, 01:44 saluk

Damnit DF. I have a policy not to find a team who have yet to finish a previous ks project. I'm not very good at following my policy I guess, or you just make videos too good.

Lol @ "jokestealer pro trial version" joke. Funnier than where they stole the joke from!

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 02:35 saluk

Agent.X7 wrote on May 30, 2013, 02:06:
Creston wrote on May 30, 2013, 01:44:
After watching Tropes vs. Women in Video Gamesí second episode, I didnít realize the alarming propensity with which developers use this as a plot device

Eh? Offhand I can't think of a single game I have in which my wife/gf/daughter gets killed and I go on a rampage of vengeance?

Creston

Max Payne?

I find the whole argument that the stories are stale to be ridiculous. Guess what, honey? Ain't nothing new under the sun. Everything is a rehash hopefully told with a somewhat different spin. Also, thousands of years of human history and she wants the whole men protecting women thing to go away in 50 years. Yeah, good luck with that. Let me know how the bra burning thing is working out for you. Equal rights? Sure. Equal? Not hardly. That's why there are still two sexes, derp.

Max Payne was one of the earlier games to do it, and did it pretty well in my opinion. In no way is Max really better off after his rampage than he was before, in fact things seem to keep getting worse for him.

That said, I watched the video, and I think I agree that a lot of game plots are beyond stale. Forget the feminist angle. It's just getting boring. Writers are using tropes not because they have some creative reason to - they are building games around tropes because that's what's going to sell.

OTOH, A LOT of games are getting made these days. MANY games in the last couple years are not represented. To select a subset and lambast the industry for it is ridiculous, many of her points are really grasping or just completely misrepresenting whatever game she's talking about...

It is on the whole rather silly.

687 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo