Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 689 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > LoL Players Athletes
8. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 04:03 saluk

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 01:50:
Esoteric wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 00:27:
Even if you don't like LoL or e-sports, how would it negatively affect you in any manner whatsoever?

Where do I say it negatively affects me in any manner? I just say that it's retarded that people who sit on their asses and play videogames are considered to be 'athletes.'

And to focus on the word "athlete" is a bit silly, as chess is considered a sport, and the players are "athletes" as well. Same goes for billiards and several other activities I'm sure people would find questionable.

Chess is considered a GAME, not a sport, and its players are most assuredly not considered athletes. Neither are billiards players. Neither, for that matter, are golfers.

Creston

Agree! Pro-gaming is legitimate, but it's not the same category as sport. That's just silly.

This visa thing is cool though, in lieu of an actual professional gaming visa. That would be much more legitimate than just shoving them in with athletes though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
7. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 13:23 saluk

Rad! Taking many ideas straight from my head.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2013, 13:04 saluk

Eh, didn't find the article quite as inflammatory as the headline. I am sad the game couldn't have been completed on time and with the raised funds. But would I honestly want them to do anything different knowing what we know now?

Not really.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
33. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 03:42 saluk

KTR wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 23:34:
Isn't a large chunk of the money going to some stupid documentary?

A lot of people are much more interested in the documentary than the actual game. Part of the initial pitch was, yes the project may be a big disaster, but you get courtside seats to watch it crash and burn. A large portion of the backers already basically feel they have gotten their moneys worth out of the documentary. As a wannabe developer, it's been one of the coolest things I've ever watched - even in the last few depressing episodes.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
11. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 2, 2013, 22:31 saluk

Maybe this is the real reason adventure games died out? Where other games you can cut or add features, add some filler levels to stretch the game or cut some of the less good levels when the schedule gets tight, a well designed adventure game is very inflexible. You can't just cut some of the game down - there are no systems to fall back on to keep the game length decent. Not that other types of games don't have scheduling problems...

I think the team went a little bit too crazy with the weird art style and the new engine built on unity, thinking that preproduction would take a lot less time. If they had stuck to the tools and art style they already know, they might have been done already. But here we are now, can't just go back and start over.

I'll be happy as long as the game comes out next year on time this time, and is decent. But yeah, I doubt anyone is really happy about where things stand currently. Ah the fun of watching development as it happens

News Comments > Worms: Clan Wars Replaces DLC With Mod Support
4. Re: Worms: Clan Wars Replaces DLC With Mod Support Jul 1, 2013, 13:15 saluk

Kind of surprising team17 is still around pumping out worms games.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
25. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 04:47 saluk

The whole "ra ra controller = anti pc" thing... I just don't get it. Game controllers are a perfectly reasonable control mechanism, and the pc is versatile enough to be able to use them. Certain types of games are much more appropriate on a controller - especially a lot of console ports. You can make keyboard+mouse controls for the port (and of course I agree you SHOULD do so) but the controller is just going to make more sense for those games. Resident evil 5 stop+shoot was freaking weird on a mouse, and from a design perspective I think it would have taken a lot to make that better - so I played it with a controller. What's the big deal?

PC forever! The game is duh going to have gamepad controls, and that's probably best for the rift anyway. Also duh, some of the devs playing it are going to prefer the pad. I highly doubt that it will be the only control method. Taking issue with seeing an xbox360 controller in a dev video... come on man.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
20. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 02:49 saluk

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:16:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:04:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?
-

Plenty? There are about 200,000 backers, and the PC market is bigger than that. There are many people who don't want to back a project in the early stages but will buy it later if it actually turns out well.

You can be sure they'll have ways to monetize the game once it's released too, like more ship DLC, and I think there was talk of a subscription of some kind. I'm sure they'll make plenty of money.

Well... also keep in mind that space action games like this are something of a niche, and Freespace 2 is supposed to have sold only about 20,000-30,000 copies before the GOG re-release.

Given that this game just made almost $200K selling the Idris, I think it would be really, really hard for them to actually lose money on this even if they had 0 people buying the retail package. They could probably do fine just releasing expansions and DLCs for existing backers.

The pc market as a whole was a lot smaller then, and the genre was dying out as well. We're looking at a possible* resurgence in the genre, and a pretty booming pc market - so, uh, we'll see

*We're seeing a resurgence in games in the genre being made, but it's too soon to tell if there's an equal resurgence in real audience interest.

News Comments > OZombie Kickstarter
3. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Jun 24, 2013, 20:43 saluk

Yeah, 100k would have been a good bet. Some people just don't get kickstarter lol. If you ask for 100k you could get a million. Narrow scope to meet 100k and add stretch goals.

If you ask for a ridiculous amount of money people just shake their heads and move on.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 15:01 saluk

tomb raider 66% off on gamersgate  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 22, 2013, 01:16 saluk

Yeah Gog sale kinda ruined my day. Picked up a ton that Im missing this morning and then played Fez all day instead of getting any work done  

News Comments > The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Full Combat Rebalance 2 Mod
7. Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Full Combat Rebalance 2 Mod Jun 21, 2013, 05:47 saluk

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 01:35:
I was pretty interested in this, then someone linked to a mod the same author made for the first Witcher which basically does the same thing. First thing I saw on checking out that mod was (paraphrased)

version 1.6 : Resistances are broken. Disabled poisoned, blind, bleeding, and other status effects, as they became insta-kills with no way for the player to defend against them.

Errr... yeah. I applaud that they are doing this, but releasing mods that bug large portions of the game just seems shoddy.

Creston

As far as I understand it, from the reading of the note, (and its been many years since I played the first game) is that those things were disabled because they didn't work right and contributed to making combat poor. It's not a "bug", per se, it's a workaround for existing "bugs". And of course its a rebalance, so you might take issue with some elements of the new balance, just as you might have taken issue with (probably different) elements of the old balance

News Comments > Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer
3. Re: Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer Jun 21, 2013, 05:38 saluk

People have been trying to innovate in this space for a while with no success. Non BF/COD games have mostly crashed and burned - usually with good reason. I hope this has a chance to topple those, it does look really cool and feels fresh too. Instead of going for the traditional classes, which you can only change on death, there are only 2 "classes" and you can kind of change your class strategically in gameplay. Shooting the pilot out of his titan and then climbing in? Why not?

Only having to balance between 2 classes, albeit very asymetric ones, is a lot simpler than all of the disparate things most mfps try to balance for.

I worry about depth though.

News Comments > Skulls Of The Shogun & Windows 8 Follow-up
10. Re: Skulls Of The Shogun & Windows 8 Follow-up Jun 20, 2013, 14:50 saluk

Yeah they kind of made a mistake there, but who knows if they would have been able to start development without a publisher? Maybe they could have found someone better, who knows. I wish them the best in their ex-microsoft endeavors.

The shame here is really on Microsoft for not taking care of their own shit and half-assing everything they do.

News Comments > Valve Rumor Bonanza
15. Re: Valve Rumor Bonanza Jun 20, 2013, 01:00 saluk

Yet more evidence (as if it was needed) that Jira is horrible.

But we use it at work anyway, regardless of how much most of us hate it. And let me tell you, the kind of stuff we put in there; this really doesn't tell us anything of what's going on at valve. There's no way to know which of these are actual projects that have got off the ground for, or whether they are more in the feasability study range - "IF we were to start project X, how would we go about it".

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
17. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:28 saluk

speechless.

Maybe it was all a bad dream.

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
56. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 17:25 saluk

Lol hilarious. Steam adds sharing, hours later xbox takes it away. Now you can share discs, but NOT downloadables.

Crazy town.

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
30. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:02 saluk

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:49:
To be fair though, I have a Steam category called Mistakes filled with games I didn't care for and gave up on in the first few hours that other people might love. It's a shame not being able to share or give those away.

Mine is called "Zzzzz...boring."

Creston

Haha min'es just zzzz. Alphabetical sorting

News Comments > EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD
41. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 05:49 saluk

nvidia vs amd is a good thing guys. It means one big monopoly gfx chip maker can't just sit and stay shitty.

The exclusive optomization stuff is annoying, but this is one case where I don't really think ea is totally in the wrong. (Only mostly wrong) Actually nvidia is winning pcs right now, in like the last year or so; but with amds powering the consoles its not a long shot that they'll be ahead again next year.

So what if they dont update nvidia specific drivers for like a month, that very rarely is that important. I can't think of an EA title where it's made much of a difference. They should support everybody, but it's not that big of a deal.

I almost never update my video drivers for a specific game anyway. I only update them every six months to a year. Nvidia or amd; updating drivers is just too likely to break something.

The fifa engine thing IS total horseshit. The new consoles ARE fricken high end pcs. This is just a crappy ploy to artificially entice more console owners, because that market is easier to understand and control. Building the same game on two different engines? That's way more work than making sure the better engine will run on mid-range rigs.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II: Vengeance Announced
8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II: Vengeance Announced Jun 18, 2013, 19:38 saluk

It's popular because it's popular. And that's as valid a reason as any. Another patch for free $  

689 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo