Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 680 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 15:01 saluk

tomb raider 66% off on gamersgate  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 22, 2013, 01:16 saluk

Yeah Gog sale kinda ruined my day. Picked up a ton that Im missing this morning and then played Fez all day instead of getting any work done  

News Comments > The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Full Combat Rebalance 2 Mod
7. Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Full Combat Rebalance 2 Mod Jun 21, 2013, 05:47 saluk

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 01:35:
I was pretty interested in this, then someone linked to a mod the same author made for the first Witcher which basically does the same thing. First thing I saw on checking out that mod was (paraphrased)

version 1.6 : Resistances are broken. Disabled poisoned, blind, bleeding, and other status effects, as they became insta-kills with no way for the player to defend against them.

Errr... yeah. I applaud that they are doing this, but releasing mods that bug large portions of the game just seems shoddy.

Creston

As far as I understand it, from the reading of the note, (and its been many years since I played the first game) is that those things were disabled because they didn't work right and contributed to making combat poor. It's not a "bug", per se, it's a workaround for existing "bugs". And of course its a rebalance, so you might take issue with some elements of the new balance, just as you might have taken issue with (probably different) elements of the old balance

News Comments > Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer
3. Re: Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Trailer Jun 21, 2013, 05:38 saluk

People have been trying to innovate in this space for a while with no success. Non BF/COD games have mostly crashed and burned - usually with good reason. I hope this has a chance to topple those, it does look really cool and feels fresh too. Instead of going for the traditional classes, which you can only change on death, there are only 2 "classes" and you can kind of change your class strategically in gameplay. Shooting the pilot out of his titan and then climbing in? Why not?

Only having to balance between 2 classes, albeit very asymetric ones, is a lot simpler than all of the disparate things most mfps try to balance for.

I worry about depth though.

News Comments > Skulls Of The Shogun & Windows 8 Follow-up
10. Re: Skulls Of The Shogun & Windows 8 Follow-up Jun 20, 2013, 14:50 saluk

Yeah they kind of made a mistake there, but who knows if they would have been able to start development without a publisher? Maybe they could have found someone better, who knows. I wish them the best in their ex-microsoft endeavors.

The shame here is really on Microsoft for not taking care of their own shit and half-assing everything they do.

News Comments > Valve Rumor Bonanza
15. Re: Valve Rumor Bonanza Jun 20, 2013, 01:00 saluk

Yet more evidence (as if it was needed) that Jira is horrible.

But we use it at work anyway, regardless of how much most of us hate it. And let me tell you, the kind of stuff we put in there; this really doesn't tell us anything of what's going on at valve. There's no way to know which of these are actual projects that have got off the ground for, or whether they are more in the feasability study range - "IF we were to start project X, how would we go about it".

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
17. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:28 saluk

speechless.

Maybe it was all a bad dream.

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
56. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 17:25 saluk

Lol hilarious. Steam adds sharing, hours later xbox takes it away. Now you can share discs, but NOT downloadables.

Crazy town.

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
30. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:02 saluk

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:49:
To be fair though, I have a Steam category called Mistakes filled with games I didn't care for and gave up on in the first few hours that other people might love. It's a shame not being able to share or give those away.

Mine is called "Zzzzz...boring."

Creston

Haha min'es just zzzz. Alphabetical sorting

News Comments > EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD
41. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 05:49 saluk

nvidia vs amd is a good thing guys. It means one big monopoly gfx chip maker can't just sit and stay shitty.

The exclusive optomization stuff is annoying, but this is one case where I don't really think ea is totally in the wrong. (Only mostly wrong) Actually nvidia is winning pcs right now, in like the last year or so; but with amds powering the consoles its not a long shot that they'll be ahead again next year.

So what if they dont update nvidia specific drivers for like a month, that very rarely is that important. I can't think of an EA title where it's made much of a difference. They should support everybody, but it's not that big of a deal.

I almost never update my video drivers for a specific game anyway. I only update them every six months to a year. Nvidia or amd; updating drivers is just too likely to break something.

The fifa engine thing IS total horseshit. The new consoles ARE fricken high end pcs. This is just a crappy ploy to artificially entice more console owners, because that market is easier to understand and control. Building the same game on two different engines? That's way more work than making sure the better engine will run on mid-range rigs.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II: Vengeance Announced
8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II: Vengeance Announced Jun 18, 2013, 19:38 saluk

It's popular because it's popular. And that's as valid a reason as any. Another patch for free $  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month
20. Re: Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month Jun 18, 2013, 19:31 saluk

Loot/inventory was never a huge thing in shadowrun (at least for me); it was always more about coming up with a solution to immediate problems then in collecting loot or obsessing with loadouts. I mean in the pnp as I played it you could basically order whatever tech you wanted from the start, and you never collected anything useful in the missions besides information, keycards, etc that can be handled just fine without an inventory system.

That said it seems like a very easy thing to implement. It's always one of the first things I add when I build my own rpg code. It takes like an hour, maybe a day or two to actually do a decent job.

Crosses fingers...

News Comments > GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight
11. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 14:41 saluk

Witcher 2 was released on both steam and gog. I don't see a difference. Releasing something in a DRM and non-DRM format is even friendlier than only releasing in one. Let the shackled have their fun too.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 16:54 saluk

He means they never released their names to the public. You need a lot of stuff to start a kickstarter, including an amazon payments account which is another level. Who knows - maybe this is all a scam to get more funding for the documentary  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
35. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:21 saluk

Sepharo wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:13:
NKD wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:10:
Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test.

I wouldn't say that's usual. That's probably unusually low for beta access on the Kickstarters I've seen. That's the usual price just for digital delivery when it's done.

Yeah, almost every kickstarter I've backed I've elected out of alpha or beta because they were too high for me to justify it.

And it's actually good to limit the size of an alpha test, and limit beta a bit less. ALL tests do this through some mechanism or other; either by price in this case, or by having limited invites. Limiting by price is genius, the people willing to pay more for early access are more likely to invest time into the game and in giving good feedback.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
30. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:52 saluk

I was shocked to see the price, but I figured I would just ignore it for now since no way would I pay that much. After drilling down into the reasoning, it seems, well, perfectly reasonable.

The rest of us can wait for the real thing; which will hopefully be great.

News Comments > Three Assassin's Creed Games in the Works
2. Re: Three Assassin's Creed Games in the Works Jun 15, 2013, 01:41 saluk

I am a huge fan of the series. Even I say enough is enough.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 15:20 saluk

With all this talk of the 24 hour check in, the kinect that may or may not be watching you, and the weird drm to prevent used games; I think the thing that worries me the most is the cloud stuff. If developers really rely on that, a bunch of games will be broken in a few years when support goes away. I'm not much of a fan of modern games, I like playing older games a lot more. This cloud stuff really sucks for preservation.  

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
16. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 15:03 saluk

The little they showed really doesn't fill me with confidence. What's with the fallout 3 VAT system making an appearance?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 03:13 saluk

robdot wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 01:03:
I have 3 consoles, and when there are on, they are "always on". My current 360 is always on. My tv is wifi, and when its on, the wifi is on. Always. So what? My laptop is online RIGHT NOW ! GASP !! All this drm stuff is the pirates fault. I hate and despise these people. and i dont pirate, so if a game publisher wants to check my code, im cool with it. See, if i buy a new car, ford doesnt tell me what i can do with it, who i can lend it to, or sell it to. But, i cant take my ford home, make 1000 copies and give them to my friends either, if i did that, and other people did that, i bet you ford would be pretty pissed off. If i can share my games with family members (grandkids) on their consoles, at their house, then we are gonna fucking love this system. IF thats how it works, microsoft is being unclear. But there could be some awesome benefits to this idea and its possible microsoft is ahead of the game. Can we co op with one game? I dunno, they are being really stupid and not stressing the benefits to the consumer.

Can you please tell me the benefits to the consumer? The problem with these always online things is that they always break. You, someone who does not pirate, are happy to accept a system that will break and punish you for the sins of someone else who does pirate. You get home after a rough day of work, plop in your single player game to relax, and lo and behold; the system tells you it could not sync with the server, therefore it will not let you play games. We don't know the specifics of how this will work, but based on every always on drm that's been tried, this is not a far fetched scenario.

I shudder at the backlash on xbox one launch week when every single person who purchased the console is unable to use them because the registration system borked out under load. Microsoft probably will have it under control; but you never know with these things.

680 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo