Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 604 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill
18. Re: Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill Apr 22, 2013, 15:01 saluk

VR doesn't excite me for games. I'm more interested in applications like those cheesy virtual tours and more motivating home exercise. I could take a walk in a park on a rainy day! The video of the grandma using the occulus rift is a good example of why VR is still a worthwhile direction to pursue.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Curiosity Adds Adding
9. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 01:23 saluk

Lol this is awesome. I'm sure Molyneux is making more money on his secret betting cabal (borrowed from Rat Race) than he's making on the actual game.  

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
46. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 03:54 saluk

Intriguing.  

News Comments > March NPD Results
3. Re: March NPD Results Apr 19, 2013, 15:21 saluk

Survival Instinct. Number 9. I thought everyone had grown out of picking up shovelware licensed titles?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 12:51 saluk

Well, windows vista wasn't horrible everywhere. Just on most systems. If you had a top of the line system, or bought one of those vista certified machines that was ACTUALLY reasonably certified rather than pushed through the windows 7 and windows vista difference would be somewhat minor.

Windows 8 is not that bad. It's also not that great. A "less scary" windows 8 may have been a better move - then again, it might not have mattered. The slacking of the pc market has more to do with a long recession coupled with the leveling of moores law and lack of applications (and games) driving upgrades. It's undeniable that windows has historically driven pc purachases, but other things have been drivers as well. There was still a noticeable difference in general computing speed.

The internet runs about the same on anything now, and games have not been taking advantage of computing technology. If what everyone has is good enough, people are wary of making purchases they don't need to make, more people already have access to computers via phone or existing hardware than ever before, and there are no applications requiring better hardware - what could a perfect windows 8 have done to turn that tide?

It would have had to actually innovate, which is something microsoft really doesn't know how to do. It's certainly not that bad - but "not that bad" is not a reason for people to want to purchase something

News Comments > Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams
8. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 15:22 saluk

As good as some of the games were after 2, they are kind of like fan fiction. I can see him wanting to go down his own path. Especially after that ENDING.  

News Comments > Guns of Icarus Online—Adventure Mode Funded
1. Re: Guns of Icarus Online—Adventure Mode Funded Apr 17, 2013, 00:48 saluk

I was skeptical but I like the direction they are going with this. The use of stretch goals to realistically scope the game is pretty neat. I'm not a big fan of the game but I hope they find their market. Congrats on finding the funds again and again.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 13, 2013, 02:30 saluk

InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 10:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 09:58:
Microsoft has been fucking up for over a decade. They are still there...

As long as they have the commercial OS monopoly on PCs, and Office they will be with us. Unfortunately.

Wont be long.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC "Half-Assed" - PC Prioritized for Sequel
77. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 13, 2013, 02:21 saluk

I hope they do a better job on the port. But I think it's a bit much to expect this style of game to play well with kb/m. I play pc not because I expect kb/m for every game. I play pc because pc has all of the options available. You guys do realize that pcs have had controllers for about as long as they have had games. They have had joysticks and other input devices.

I expect a pc game to have kb/m support because that is the standard interface you can expect your audience to have. But some games - console port or not - I expect to play better on a controller.

I hope they do better for the next game (I mean sure, the game should be winnable by the controls you have available, or you may as well just have a big warning on the box that the game needs an attachment), but unless the kb/m controls are really amazing I will probably play with my controller. But defining me as a console player because I prefer to use a controller where appropriate is really stupid, and ignores the rich history of interface experimentation that pcs have enjoyed.

OTOH, the switch from directinput to xinput was a travesty.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 18:42 saluk

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:21:
PC Sales slumping....meanwhile in other news tablets and smart phone sales are skyrocketing.

And no wonder: PCs are roughly as good as they can get; tablets kind of suck and have a lot of room for improvement

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 11, 2013, 18:36 saluk

I like the idea of turning on a pvp flag and getting put in with player pirates; or turning it off and flying around against ai's. If other aspects of the gameplay are configurable in a similar way, that would be pretty cool.

Flying around doing dynamically created missions in an ai-driven economic universe? If they can pull this off it's pretty close to my dream game.

If it fails to deliver at least it's pretty

News Comments > Flashback HD Officially Announced
12. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 18:30 saluk

Yeah seems to lack personality. Looks too similar to any other modern alien shooter being put out these days. I'm all for an HD version, but like this I'm not really feeling it.

As for these games being ancient relics best forgotten... bahahaha.

I only hope quick time events are someday an ancient relic.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarted
15. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarted Apr 10, 2013, 14:07 saluk

vrok wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 09:26:
As a long time RPG fan I don't really know about this one. I've watched all the videos and it all just looks too generic for me, and as far as I'm concerned Larian has never made a good RPG before. Only hack n slash games with questionable combat.

Mod tools are not a selling point for me to back something as it will take quite a long time for decent content mods to pop up, and with it already being funded, there's even less incentive to care right now. I'll just buy it later if and when there are actually good mods out.

I liked the first Divine Divinity, but haven't really gotten on board with anything since. DD was a lot more than a hack and slash game though. It was the best blend of hack and slash and rpg there has ever been! I'm still hoping for them to recapture that...

News Comments > Project Eternity Environment Trailer
17. Re: Project Eternity Environment Trailer Apr 10, 2013, 13:54 saluk

Frijoles wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:21:
wtf_man wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:13:
it looks like Unity is "good enough, and multi-platform"... so other engine developers (Epic, etc.) may become obsolete, or have to drastically reduce their prices to other AAA shops that don't have their own internally built engine.

I haven't used UDK, but I believe both Unity and UDK are the largest two at the moment. Unity is $1500 for a pro license. UDK is free if you make under a certain amount per year (like $50k). After that they charge royalties. From what I've heard, Unity is easier to use and UDK looks better.

I found it surprising that even Blizzard is using Unity for their upcoming card game.

Yeah udk is pretty reasonable now. It might have been unity that pushed them to make that move, because I think that was when unity started really picking up steam.

As for looks? Eh, engines do define some constraints I guess, but in my experience it's content that really defines how things look. I think unity has enough shader support that other than specific effects in udk that might be hard to replicate, there's not much difference in capabilities. Unreal steal has a lot more clout for AAA.

I do think we'll continue to see less internal engine development. It just doesn't make that much sense any more, except for very specific cases.

News Comments > Dishonored Patch Plans
3. Re: Dishonored Patch Plans Apr 10, 2013, 13:46 saluk

I'm just now playing the game, I can see why it was both praised and criticized. It does some new things, has great mechanics in general, and a really interesting world. The story is OK. It does feel a little too simple and like something is missing though. It doesn't immerse me the way thief did, there isn't much tension in the game, and the characters and story feel a little flat.

Pretty good for the year, but I don't think many will remember it or play it again in later years.

I am looking forward to extras, if I ever finish the main game.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
31. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 13:35 saluk

Adapting a pnp system directly into a game is usually not the best idea anyway. The game looks pretty decent so far. I'll be playing on steam, so no worries there, but I do hope the drm free version isn't too stripped down support wise for all the folks who pledged more for it expecting it to be the same thing.  

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX on Tomb Raider Shortfall
41. Re: Final Fantasy 14 Apr 9, 2013, 19:15 saluk

Who is steering the ship over there at SE?

CrashTestDummy wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 14:58:
necrosis wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 10:45:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 10:18:
Has a Tomb Raider game ever sold Halo 4 type numbers? Diablo 3 was a huge, huge release, and I think it only sold 6 mil out of the gate. They thought Tomb Raider was a game franchise on the level of Diablo? Yeah, their marketing team is smoking something.
Wow. Didn't realize their numbers were that... stupid. Comparing it to D3 really puts things in perspective. No way in hell TR was **EVER** big enough to pull in numbers like D3 did.

To be fair though, D3 was PC exclusive, and 6 mill for a PC exclusive title is absolutely mind blowing for anything not named "World of Warcraft".

5-6 million is not an entirely unreasonable estimate for a multi-platform title over the course of its life-span, but TR is not the kind of title to set launch records, inspite of SE trying its darndest to make it appeal to the console audience.

Diablo 3 is about as close as you get to being called World of Warcraft as you can get.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
31. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 15:58 saluk

I'm enjoying planescape torment (what little of it I manage to get through every couple years before losing interest) and am curious to see what they do here. It's a really flawed game though, and I get the criticism about too much text. I "play" japanese visual novel "games" that feel less wordy than PS:T. Part of that has to do with the presentation of the text. With very static backgrounds, no animations the npcs make, and big walls of text that just scroll in and you have to stare at it, it's a pretty boring method of delivery. I think the biggest problem with the game is they had this great world and story, and they kind of shoved it into the engine they had available. Neither the combat or storytelling really fit 100% into the engine. (Heck the combat could have just been left out) Here, they are actually building the engine to the game they are creating.  

News Comments > Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition
9. Re: Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition Apr 6, 2013, 15:48 saluk

I played through the 15th edition on gog a couple years ago. I was surprised by how short and easy it turned out to be. Really not as hard as I remember it. Still a great game - the harder difficulty sounds interesting.  

News Comments > LucasArts Closed
32. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:59 saluk

Disney: can we get some of the old LA classics on gog now - where they belong?  

604 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo