Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 702 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Limit Theory Video
6. Re: Limit Theory Video Nov 4, 2013, 14:51 saluk

The procedural research seems pretty interesting! Yeah he talked about some cool ai stuff last month but seems to have put that aside for more graphical bling this time. I really want to see where he is going with the rest of the game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Walking Dead Season 2 Announced
11. Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Announced Oct 30, 2013, 03:18 saluk

You can always stick an episode here or there in between other stuff.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
26. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:33 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:12:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:10:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:44:
I'm absolutely a great catch. I take care of myself and have a good career. I'm also modest But it doesn't matter. The girls hear you're a gamer, they run away fast. It's not me, the stereotype is in full effect still. Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

Ask Dick:
Not as rare as a "Great Catch". Ok, like how many hours are you playing and are you willing to give several of them up to make a relationship happen? Why are you being described as "being a gamer"?

Perhaps you are in the casual crowd, known as fashionable to me. There are many other clicks out there. I'm not saying it helps that you are a gamer, but I didn't find it (married now) the issue, unless I was compulsive.

I'm not sure I understand what you just said... But anyway, I've had girlfriends before who accepted me for who I am All I'm saying is that gaming is still a stigma nowadays.

Gaming is still a stigma [i]for the group whom grew up with it as a stigma[/i]. Attitudes change over time, but not generally within a single individual. I was at a youth group party a year ago where the girls were playing mario kart on the wii, and the guys were joking around and looking up stuff on youtube. Saying girls don't like games or gamers is a stereotype. Of course it's probably true for certain groups. When skyrim came out, most of the girls I know had heard of it and were interested in hearing about it - even the ones who don't really game. It's never been a factor in my strike-outs. Most of the married guys I hang out with game as well.

Although some of them only play COD

News Comments > Cyan Kickstarting Obduction
16. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Obduction Oct 18, 2013, 03:44 saluk

Wow, all the hate? Myst transported you into another world in a way no game really could. The puzzles were for the most part really well designed; with everything fitting together logically and usually being tied to the world rather than just an abstract thing. They also did some interesting branching with story that is still pretty uncommon in adventure games. It's certainly not without it's flaws, but no doubt revolutionary.

But they lost their way big time after myst. Riven is actually a pretty amazing giant puzzle; but it was even more incomprehensible than myst and lost a lot of the people who myst brought into gaming. Further games in the series did little to advance things, making myst more of a flash in the pan.

I think they just got lucky with the right combination of tech, artistry, imagination, and timing.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
30. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 03:30 saluk

Wonderful. And I mean that sarcastically. First I lose my save because GFWL is a pain in the ass. I was about halfway through, and played through most of the game again. Now, I'm all ready to mop up the end of the game, and poof. Saves invalidated. Never playing this game again. It's overrated to begin with.

I'm all for games not using GFWL, but retroactively breaking saves in games is one of the reasons why GFWL sucked in the first place, doing it to get gfwl patched out is just not cool.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014
10. Re: Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014 Oct 15, 2013, 14:45 saluk

GTAV just came out, and black flag is on the way. I always thought releasing AC4 and Watch dogs in the same quarter was bonehead stupid. Will be funny if they push it back and are torpedoed again by the pc release of gtav.  

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
37. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 13:56 saluk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 12:24:
So this controller is exclusive to the SteamOS and/or any Linux distro the Steam Linux client is installed on? Yes/No?
No
"
Can I use a controller if I donít have a Steam machine?
Yes. Itíll work very well with any version of Steam.
"

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
36. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 13:52 saluk

Very cool. I'm impressed! Now I want to see them control joystick-centric games.

I think there is room for a lazy input device that works on mouse-centric games - it's something I have wished I had a few times. I can remember a few times when I was sick and wanted to play PnC adventure games while in bed. I used a remapper for my gamepad to act as a mouse, but it was very hard to control the pointer.

This may not be quite as good as a mouse for pointing or headshots; and it may not be quite as good as a dual-analog for platforming or action precision; but if it's pretty close to both it's a pretty cool device that meets a need. I have seen enough from this one video to know I will pick one up. Dunno if it will be my main controller; but I can totally see using it a lot.

News Comments > Arma 3 Campaign This Month
6. Re: Arma 3 Campaign This Month Oct 10, 2013, 14:56 saluk

Basically the concepts "alpha", "beta", "final" and "post-release dlc" are all very fuzzy when you charge for an open alpha. Heck, those terms are fuzzy and near useless most of the time anyway. I haven't touched Arma3 much, but it was a nice test against my pc when I upgraded I might get more into it with a campaign.  

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
12. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 9, 2013, 14:38 saluk

There were some great ideas in GK3, but it was a tough time for adventure games. They weren't sure what they were going to be anymore, and sierra especially was running all of their series off in weird directions.

GK2 is actually really good, and I think a bit more solid than the first one. I like the first game more, but some of the puzzling is very arbitrary; there is a lot of wandering around trying to trigger the next event. It's a weird thing in adventure games, even if the puzzles themselves make sense, figuring out how to make the story continue to the next plot point is sometimes a puzzle in itself - and with GK1 it tends to be pretty random.

My sister also managed to get the game into an unwinnable state, which was common for the Quest games, but less acceptable for the narrative.

I wish they would update the structure and not just the graphics, because other than those flaws it's one of my favorite adventure games. Graphics look ok, but the pixel gfx of the original still charm me

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
53. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 14:31 saluk

I like space. I like ships. I like flying ships in space. I like a lot of the ideas that are going in this game, it sounds like a dream. Most games that sound like a dream are merely ok - or bad. Sure, I bought into SC - I will be getting my copy of the game when it comes out. But I just don't understand why people are buying ships for a game that is far from being ready? How do you know you want that ship? You haven't been able to see how it performs in the damn game! Every MMO I've ever played nerfs and buffs the classes all the time - that's going to happen here. I mean, they look cool sitting in your hanger, but you can just look at the screenshots if you want to see how it looks. You still don't know how it's going to fly. It makes no sense to me. I wouldn't buy ships with real money in any case - buying virtual items usually rubs me the wrong way - but I REALLY don't understand buying these things on complete faith. Faith that the game warrants the expenditure, but more than that, faith that the ship is worth the cost.  

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
54. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 28, 2013, 06:06 saluk

Bold move valve! Linux, game streaming, steam boxes, and a new super weird controller. Love it or hate it, you can't doubt that valve are making a major play. If they had got this rolling before this year it might have made a serious dent... coming after xbone and ps4 launches, I dunno. It's not going to sway many console types, and pc gamers are pretty happy where they are.

Wesp5 wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 03:05:
As has already be mentioned here, this just look like the usual shooter controls of a smartphone to me, to which I have two comments: 1) Why can't we just use our smartphones instead by using a dedicated app and Bluetooth or WiFi or IR to connect to the console? Isn't this already planned for the XBox One? 2) I never could get the hang out of this way to play a FPS, so there is no way I will ever use one! Mouse and keyboard are still a necessary requirement for me.

Looks aren't everything. Smartphone fps controls suck because there are no ridges to tell where you are on the pad, and it covers the screen. Your thumbs get in the way all the time. It looks like the touchpads here have regions in them so you can feel where you are. If it was only as good as holding a phone I don't think they would even put it out.

Can't wait for a dev to release a steamos exclusive game and forget to add the keyboard controls. I kind of hope that happens just to see all of you guys complain

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
64. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 25, 2013, 14:55 saluk

Hellbinder wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 10:56:
Higher resolution does not = better graphics. a Radeon 6770 can display the exact same graphics scene as a GeForce 780. The only difference is the Frame rate / resolution.

Hold on. Are you arguing that being able to play at a higher framerate and a higher resolution is going to make PC games look WORSE than on console? Any game ported from PS4/xbone to pc is going to be able to run either at some combination of:
* higher framerate
* more particles
* higher resolution
* more powerful anti-aliasing (such as super-sampling, which is a higher resolution scaled down)

... and you argue that this will mean the pc games look WORSE?

That is highly illogical.

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
31. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 13:23 saluk

Hellbinder wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 12:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 11:57:
nin wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:05:
So says the company who's chips aren't powering the newest consoles. Coincidence?

So says he's right. It really is maste rof obvious, but sometimes saying it puts it more in perspective. They are not going to pay for top of the line GPU's, they weren't willing to pay for a GPU this generation in their console that surpassed what is in PC's today. Hence his MOO statement.

Total bullshit. The consoles are 8 core CPUS with upper mid range GPUS that have exactly the same graphics capabilities of the most expensive cards on the market today. the only difference would be frame rates at ultra high resolutions.

In fact the consoles will have better graphics than 99.9% of PC games for the next few years at at least because of the advantage of development and expertise on a closed system.

have you watched any PS4 demos lately?

THAT's total bullshit. Consoles will have better graphics than mid-range pcs for a couple years, but that doesn't mean a lot. This is the first generation that the consoles are not significantly higher specced than a typical gaming pc. The demos are not very impressive either, mostly looking a little better than the pc versions of the earlier titles.

This is just grandstanding by the company that didn't get a contract this time around, but it happens to be right. In the past, consoles have had custom parts and chips and a lot of R+D has gone into making them superior. The N64 with it's silicon graphics, the ps2 with it's emotion engine. The Ps4 and xbox one are almost quite literally upper mid-range or lower high-end pc's.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
77. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:32 saluk

DanteUK wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:00:
Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

Thanks, but I prefer my Linux with a proper desktop and open for every use I can think of.

PS: those complaining they don't want their gaming rig in the family room on the main TV all fall into two categories, Kids living at home and Married guys with a wife that actually wants to watch TV, not watch her husband play some stupid game. ( I fall into the later category )

I would imagine most of the improvements steamos can bring to the linux world will be applicable to whatever desktop linux you are using. This didn't happen with android (what linux benefits did that bring again?) but from what I gather, steamos is more linux than android is.

But we will have to see how open it truly is.

Consider me cautiously optimistic at this point - not for steamos itself but for what developments it may lead to.

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
38. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:50 saluk

If you are a bad little boy or girl, santa wont bring you nice presents this year...  

News Comments > 25 More Steam Greenlights
10. Re: 25 More Steam Greenlights Sep 19, 2013, 15:13 saluk

SUPERHOT. SUPERHOT. SUPERHOT.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles
32. Re: Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles Sep 19, 2013, 15:09 saluk

PC gamers complain when companies don't port. PC gamers complain when companies do port (even if lacking the resources to do an excellent job). What're you gonna do.

I've been playing DS1 after hearing a lot of good things about it. Amazing game. Worth the little bit of extra effort. Far from unplayable - the gameplay itself is what's unplayable, because it's so dang hard and unforgiving! But that's what's fun about it.

In this day and age when so many games like to hold your hand, it's refreshing to have a game push back and ask a bit more of you without feeling unfair.

News Comments > The Inner World Trailer
2. Re: The Inner World Trailer Sep 19, 2013, 14:56 saluk

I would argue that the reason to play a P+C are the puzzles/story. The art looks really interesting and bizarre, though I agree not great. But even I wouldn't buy this at 31$. MASSIVELY overpriced.  

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
59. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 16, 2013, 00:57 saluk

yonder wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 00:35:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 18:00:
Having not played RDR since I don't own console or TV, was it not designed more with the controller in mind be that it had the 'dead eye' system which would be silly on a PC for starters? As I said, never played it , only watch some youtube videos of it.

Dead Eye was just glorified bullet time, and we all know what platform Max Payne is best on (or, at the very least, started out best on).

RDR != GTA. I'm sure rockstar knows how well their gta games have fared on the pc. They also know how well their non-gta titles have fared. It's unclear that RDR would be a success, and it's also been a while since that game came out. Maybe if there had been a nice window in there where they weren't really working on anything and they wanted to make some extra cash... But yeah I think we missed the boat. But I don't begrudge them any for that miss. Fair enough.

OTOH, the console exclusive stuff is pretty shitty. It also makes perfect economic sense - multiplatform owners will be inclined to get a console version making microsoft and sony happy, rockstar gets to pocket the incentive cash, and the pc only player wont NOT buy it just because it's a few months later - but I begrudge it. I really really begrudge it.

702 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo