Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 604 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
27. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2013, 13:02 saluk

Pigeon wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:05:
That'll learn those pesky fans to post videos of themselves enjoying Nintendo's games.

From the update at the end it sounds like they just want to place ads on these videos, but it sure was an asshat way of going about it. Specially for what probably amounts to free advertising for them anyways.

I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan anymore, but content-id + monetize sounds absolutely fair to me in this case. Yes, a LP isn't the same as playing a game yourself, but it is a derivative work that makes use of the copywritten content. If you make an original youtube video with unlicensed songs in it you will get ads from the music company in the best case, and the video will be pulled in the worst.

If the LPers are providing free advertising for the games, the reverse is also certainly true, that the games they choose to show are providing free advertising for them. I don't see a problem with content owners trying to monitize that when the LPers are monitizing off of their work as well. It's a two way street here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
34. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 14:32 saluk

#1 - keep cutscenes in the old fixed FOV
#2 - increasing the FOV might make hud elements smaller/harder to read, but not disappear
#3 - render scene in user FOV, render hud second in fixed FOV
#4 - we know when we increase FOV it makes game perform worse. But we are on PCS. You let us toggle AA on (which hurts performance much worse than FOV) but wont let us increase the horizontal view range because???

When you make a ps3 version, I'm sure you adjust the textures and hard drive streaming to better support that platform. For the xbox version you integrate the xbox live and achievements in a slightly different way than ps3. And for each, you make sure that the control scheme works according to what the audience of that platform expects. You dont just shove some code on the box, release it, and hope it works.

When you release your game on the pc, TARGET THE F-ING PLATFORM. It's not that hard. PC users need a higher fov, because their face is closer to the screen. PC users need more configuration ability, because you do not know what setup the players will have. This isn't something that's nice to have. It's an important feature of the platform. Do your job.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter
9. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 14:09 saluk

One of the comments said the funding is only for episode 1. Further episodes may or may not happen. Yet some of the reward tiers include further episodes that may or may not happen. Shady as all get out.

Also the video is ridiculous! They talk about their team and how innovative it is in listening to the community, when other devs have been doing this for a while now, and many other kickstarter projects have also claimed. Moreover, some of the devs don't come across as that passionate about the game.

This is the kind of game that doesn't get made in the gaming industry? Really? It's not fundamentally that different to RE:Revelations, and there are quite a few other horror games on the horizon.

Hyperbole. They just can't get the money themselves because no real publisher will touch Dyack with a 10 foot pole. Publishers aren't worried the game wont be able to sell - they are worried the game won't ever be finished.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
10. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:47 saluk

Yeah the final release is supposed to be 1080p. I'm more concerned about what percentage of players are going to have insurmountable issue with motion sickness.  

News Comments > Sun Setting on Silicon Knights?
8. Re: Sun Setting on Silicon Knights? May 10, 2013, 13:42 saluk

"in spite of that not seeming fishy in the least."

Hahaha

News Comments > UFO Online Open Beta
8. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 9, 2013, 02:21 saluk

Krizzen wrote on May 8, 2013, 16:02:
Cyant wrote on May 8, 2013, 13:56:
"browser game" pass... NEXT!

Oh and Unity Engine provide crisp 3d grapics... Oh yeah? as in "crisp" like a 1996 game textures with bilinear filtering or "crisp" as in crates and other object seem to float over the backdrop?

It's not the engine's fault. Look at Rage, for example. Developers really give Unity a bad image. I mean, Unity isn't that great, but it's not as terrible as you describe.

Oh yeah, it does support anistropic filtering...

Unity is pretty dang good actually. But it suffers from being accessible. When tools are accessible, just about anyone can bang something out with them - and good art/games take actual talent. That's not something you're likely to find here...

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Fundraiser
10. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Fundraiser May 7, 2013, 02:29 saluk

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 23:51:
Well, they got $70K their first day, so who knows? Maybe they'll make funding? Since they're not running this through kickstarter though, they don't have to get the full $1.5m to fund the game. From their FAQ:

Our financial goal is a flexible one. All contributions will go directly towards the development of this game and making it a reality. We are committed to making this game, however, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges.

Haha. Or they can just take your money and run, like they have done to the publishers they worked with.

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
38. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 02:27 saluk

Where else was disney going to send the rights? Into the garbage chute, flyboy.  

News Comments > Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow
10. Re: Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow May 6, 2013, 02:59 saluk

Do NOT give Dyack any money. If this gets popular... we need to fight it.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses
28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 14:19 saluk

I saw the trailer for Hangover 2. It was soooo funny! But then, I went to the movie, and the rest of it was horrible! Even the bits from the trailer were not funny in the context of the movie. Also, my favorite joke wasn't even in the movie! Why would they put a great joke like that in the trailer and not in the film? I went the first showing, and I paid a full 10$ for my ticket on fandango - I made sure to order early because I didn't want to miss the first showing.

I am disappoint.

False advertising. Pay up you lying evil greedy movie studios.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 2, 2013, 15:03 saluk

I don't think you have to be a developer, just order a kit. If you want it bad enough...

I'm tempted myself, and I do have some unity experience so I could actually play around with things.

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
42. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 14:46 saluk

This is really stupid.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Apr 30, 2013, 16:07 saluk

So out of the blue lol.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs in November
25. Re: Watch_Dogs in November Apr 29, 2013, 19:20 saluk

1badmf wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 18:35:
Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 14:00:
Seems pretty cool but it's difficult to tell how it will play when we only have these glitzy trailers to go by. I'd like to see 15 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay by a source I trust.

dude the 1st trailer that came out was 10 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay.

i'm like creston, i'm pumped for this game. they sold me just on the concept and production values alone.

10 minutes of gameplay being performed by someone who knew what they were doing. The tip of the iceberg is shiny, but we have no clue what lies underneath the water.

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 18:09:
I tend to get a bit nervous about original games that are scheduled for release around the time that next gen consoles are due to ship. This nervousness stems from the original Halo, which was a PC game and was turned into and Xbox exclusive for the launch of the original Xbox. Why am I feeling this about this game? Lets hope I'm wrong.

Good reason to be worried. Besides Halo, most titles close to the start of a generation are either too similar to the last, yet focusing on technology over gameplay; or too experimental to actually be good. Also rushing to get finished in time is an issue.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs in November
16. Re: Watch_Dogs in November Apr 29, 2013, 16:43 saluk

Being that Ubisoft has been pushing the open-world AC series for many years, and recently succeeded with an open world farcry3, I'm leaning away from this being a very linear game. Previews though have been sketchy, trailers have been very doctored, and the gameplay is fairly experimental. So I don't quite know what to expect. Whatever it turns out to be I do expect it to be decent.  

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
28. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 27, 2013, 13:34 saluk

Ratty wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 12:39:
For the record DX:HR was a pretty good game but it wasn't Deus Ex.

Pretty damn close. And I say that as someone for whom the original is still my number 1 game of all time.

Anyway, this doesn't sound at all like "the game is not consoley enough" or "the game is too different from what fans want". It sounds more like "the game is utter crap and doesn't even work right and they are woefully behind schedule". 5 years is a looong time to be working on a game. It sounds like much of the work keeps getting redone, because their have been too many cooks in the kitchen. So what is left now has bits and pieces of a bunch people's vision. That's a terrible way to design a game.

10 months to create the press demo. That's 10 months working on something that may or may not even be part of the game. Creatively being a broken mess is one thing, but technically being a broken mess is even worse. Having to turn off features to make the demo even work?

Bad for square. Their mismanagement has turned great and relatively successful titles like sleeping dogs and tomb raider into failures. This might be the nail in the coffin.

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
24. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 16:02 saluk

going to suck  

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service
3. Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service Apr 25, 2013, 17:53 saluk

Steam Subscription plans - GREAT idea. Why do I buy eve on steam and then have to go register an account on some odd website?

Hope they add more games though. Darkfall? Can't believe that's still around.

Lolz.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Monaco
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Monaco Apr 25, 2013, 12:32 saluk

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 12:03:
People on another board I post on are saying this is ridiculously fun 4 player.
Doesn't mean it's a good game, per se, just that they're loving it.

A game that's "ridiculously fun" that people are "loving" is not a good game? Obviously this was designed as a multiplayer experience, which is fine. If it's good at that, great! Coop games are my favorite, and I LOVE that it has single screen support. Just because it's a "PC" doesn't mean I cant gather some friends around my hdtv monitor.

PC's (should) make better consoles than consoles do.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
13. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:04 saluk

Rts doesn't seem in their wheelhouse.

Although other than borderlands, which obviously was a labor of love, fps doesn't really seem their wheelhouse either.

604 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo