Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 755 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
83. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 21, 2014, 01:52 saluk

SmyTTor wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 01:16:
Rather than say the game sucks in general, I'll say why it isn't very good, for me.

I realize this is beta and use that grain of salt liberally when seeing the entire opening day scrubbed due to server connectivity issues on MS's side. I do not think it was okay to have the graphics on PC look as dated as they did so close to public release. But, I will say that even bumped up to max, the game ran very smoothly on a mid-range machine.

The auto-aim code is strong with this one. Aside from a weapon that can lock on and automatically track and kill multiple things at once, there is far too much correction going on. You can especially see this in the immediate death replays while waiting to respawn. Or when you wonder how the hell you just hit that guy when your cursor ended up blocked by the wall.

There is way too much one-shot killing. You can kill a guy with a shotgun clipping a foot. You can one-shot anyone from about 7-8 meters away with a flying kick. I'm not kidding. I topped an entire match solely (get it?!) by meleeing.

This is not a mech game. When you get your titan, you are pretty much a wrecking machine if you come across any other player. It's not that it's all just power, you also have about as much speed of movement and agility. That side-step is powerful, even with having it as two very short-timed charges. In one quick backslide I splattered 4 pilots and 4 npcs.

The npcs on each side end up making it harder to locate actual players. However it's a strange mix. The flow of combat is so inhibited by so many features that are crammed into the game. Like the cloaking ability, and the mini-map pointing out enemy locations, and the FOV being capped as it is. Don't get me wrong, those would have their places in other games, but it seems like it was about how many features from other popular games they could put in "Titanfall" rather than how they actually affected game play.

I actually really like the way the double jump/wall sprinting mechanics were implemented and that alone would have been amazing. I just don't think everything combined the way it is fits together into one coherent game.

Lest anyone try calling me out, I was really pumped for this game. I'm not an EA fan, but this game really caught my eye. The game just feels like a run-of-the-mill FPS console port with little else going for it at this point.

I will personally be passing on this game. The only other upcoming FPS that caught my eye was "Tom Clancy's The Division" and I really hope that turns out well.

See, I have the absolute opposite opinion. I've been bored of multiplayer fps pretty much since TF2 was new. I had a very brief fling with BF3 and dinked around with some of the other lackluster games in the genre the last couple years, but it's just been so bland lately. Titanfall caught my eye a little bit, just because of all the attention, but I figured it would just be call of duty with mech suits. What we actually got kind of blows me away with all of the bold moves.

I agree with you that there are a lot of weird ideas in Titanfall, and they don't always work together - but I think that's more of a balance issue than anything else. To me it feels like everything is there for a purpose. The focus on autoaim makes cover and maneuverability important, and helps with issues like lag and mouse/controller discrepancies. The maneuverability and cloaking help for autoaim, and give soldiers an advantage over the sheer firepower and size of the titans. The titans are really fun to pilot, and give pilots extra survivability - they are like having an extra life. I don't particularly like the ai elements, but I can see the design goals at work (make the fight feel bigger than it is, without decending into madness, or limiting # of titans per team, or other solutions).

I think with so many elements, the balance is a bit off.

But overall, I haven't had this much fun in this genre in a long time.

Yeah this bribery nonsense - it's EA, there probably is some of that going on - but even if it's true it's absolutely unnecessary.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
5. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 19:10 saluk

Short answer: VAC is icky yet necessary, and none of the icky things are actually out of scope.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
11. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 19:07 saluk

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:50:
nin wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:10:
Kinda sad, but I think Infinite was a step down from their previous work...

I'm still scratching my head where I'm exploring this beautiful, colorful world, and then suddenly I'm in the middle of a klan rally, jamming a metal hook in someones eye socket.

It's funny you say that, I stopped playing shortly after that part. I keep meaning to go back, but haven't been able to. But that first couple of hours, WOW.

Also, too: COMMENTS!!!111

Same experience here. "Ok now kill people". I don't really feel like it? Quit.

Seems pretty lame to lay off 100 people just to go work on a pet project.

Ken actually talked about the pet project a few months ago - it was kind of a narrative AI with logic blocks that can plug into each other. So no, not a planescape style thing, but a really freeflowing narrative. Probably more of an experiment than anything else, but along lines that interest me and I think will eventually be the future.

News Comments > EA: Battlefield 4 "Exceedingly Successful;" Complaints Are "Noise"
21. Re: EA: Battlefield 4 Feb 12, 2014, 11:53 saluk

InBlack wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 11:04:
All of this is a direct result of EA buying out a major stake in DICE in 2004. This DICE is not the same DICE that created the original game, just like the Blizzard of today is not the same Blizzard that created the likes of Diablo and Warcraft...They dont give a shit about their games, they are in it for the MONEY. Their teams change with each iteration which is why they never learn from their mistakes. Its a multibillion dollar business and as long as people are giving them good money for mediocre games, they will keep on making them. Its that simple.

Yep. EA's workforce is "just noise" to them too.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 11, 2014, 15:19 saluk

Can we stop talking about this game yet? It seems to me the only reason people talk about it is because people talk about it.  

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
21. Re: Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It Feb 11, 2014, 03:21 saluk

I bet microsoft is really happy they were able to pin all their faults on one lousy tweet and make everyone forget their campaign of stupidity that led to it.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
40. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 06:44 saluk

Take your time and finish this right. This time, theres no fallback to "the publisher made us release too soon" if it comes in over ambitious and under par.

Half of all this is kickstarter is a new model - it's halfway between the indie model and the publisher model. Indie generally involves working on something in relative obscurity until it's good, and then people actually hear about it. There is no hype train until the product is ready - and who knows how long that product actually took. The publisher model works well, it's what the industry is based on, but it doesn't allow for very much in the way of risk.

Now we have the equivalent of the basement indie developers dream project being thrust into the limelight before it's really been cooked.

The other half is that there is a law that any time you scope a project, it will take roughly 3.14 times as long as you scoped. And this is AFTER all the wiggle room you throw in Then you get stretch goals and the scope wildly changing...

I expect future projects to discuss scope a bit more and be more flexible with release dates. (At least it's something I'll look out for). "We scoped this for 1M so the release estimate may vary" I'd also like to see projects have caps.

We're still in the wild west here. It's very early days.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2014, 02:28 saluk

This article misses the point. ESO was never really intended to be for Skyrim fans, or at least not exclusively. It was an attempt, as I see it, to reuse the lore that they have built up over 5 games, and work on something different. It's also a way to reach a market that you can't reach. As a growing business, I'm sure they looked at Skyrim's success, and the size of the gaming audience in general, and realize they have probably capped it. Pretty close to every single player who would be interested in what the Elder Scrolls games have to offer bought Skyrim. The MMO audience is a finicky, fickle one; but it is also quite a lot larger than the single player rpg audience.

All of that said... how often do really good (on paper) business decisions produce great games? And implementation has been a disaster from most accounts. So, nice try Bethesda. Get back to what you are good at.

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam
7. Re: Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam Feb 7, 2014, 14:53 saluk

Lol @ cutter

It's fun to have a part in the process. Most of the games, even the ones that get through this process, won't turn into real games later. The real fun (at least last time) was not in the games themselves but seeing how the pitch actually was handled and turned into a game. A lot of these pitches sound really cool - but I'm looking forward to watching the difference between how it sounds on paper and the difficulties that each pitch will later suggest.

Pendleton ward's pitches are just... WTF.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
7. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 7, 2014, 13:22 saluk

It's annoying, but annoying in the same way that one film out of all the nominees you didn't see so often sweeps the oscars, or that stupid comedy (which is actually objectively really well done) that won last year won again this year even though there were more original choices. Awards are dumb in general. Especially in games right now where the pool is impossibly large and varied.  

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
15. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 6, 2014, 18:25 saluk

Quboid wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 09:07:
Task wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:44:
Another example, the view is warped though when recording as you can see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7fz__6B-4

However when you actually have the gear on and your eyes are focused against the oculus screen, it is not warped like that.

That looks amazing, I can't wait to play that game for 5 minutes and never ever ever again.

He refers a couple of times to monsters being a couple of inches from his face. I hope that's not literal, the screen is a couple of inches from his face but the monsters shouldn't appear that close. It could just be natural exaggeration.

Scale in the Rift (if the game is designed correctly of course) is very realistic. If something is meant to appear inches away in the game, it will appear so on the rift. (Actually, because of the low resolution, it still does much better with this than things that are far away). In this case it's probably an exaggeration

That demo is pretty scary I must say. But it gets to a point where it's just not fun. The tinges of real fear, and the motion sickness, make it a very different kind of experience than I'm used to with games. More like a theme park ride in a way.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 6, 2014, 18:01 saluk

Tom wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:20:
Another Star Citizen post, another raft of BN regulars pissing all over it. *yawn*

I've come to hope the game is successful JUST to prove you guys wrong.

Dude. We all hope the game is successful. There are just so many red flags on this project at this point it's highly unlikely. I would be this close to pulling my funds if there were an easy way to do so. I don't think they are intentionally putting together an unsustainable, unfinished product - but that's exactly what they've created. They just are too involved to notice, or really do anything about it even if they do notice.

News Comments > Two Witcher 3 Developers Depart
6. Re: Two Witcher 3 Developers Depart Feb 6, 2014, 17:30 saluk

Witcher has some great DNA - cool to see some of it getting spread around. There was that other game announced a few weeks back (can't remember what it was now, with the God mountain?) and now some more sprouting up, unless this is the same thing.

Ah found it. Deck13's Lords of the Fallen.

Interested to see what this turns into.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
101. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 00:10 saluk

Couldn't even watch the whole trailer. So boring. I think this is the least offensive footage I've seen of this game so far, but it's just really bland.  

News Comments > Rain World Trailer
5. Re: Rain World Trailer Feb 4, 2014, 23:54 saluk

Such a weird looking game! But I kinda love it.  

News Comments > Steam Music Beta Nears
10. Re: Steam Music Beta Nears Feb 4, 2014, 01:44 saluk

Didn't ask for this.

But I like it

At least the idea of it. Hopefully the implementation doesn't come woefully short like everything valve has done lately.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 4, 2014, 00:45 saluk

"Rules preventing Internet service providers from blocking or discriminating against content were vacated last month because the Federal Communications Commission did not properly justify its authority to implement them." I like that summary. None of the fights in legislature have anything to do with the laws themselves. All that matters is who is in charge.  

News Comments > Limit Theory Video
8. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 14:18 saluk

It's nice to see some gameplay showing up in these vids. I've been impressed by the technical acumen on display, but until this scanner we really haven't seen anything new design-wise.

I think we'll see a lot more of that in the updates this year - the technology is really polishing up at this point.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Octodad: Dadliest Catch
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Octodad: Dadliest Catch Jan 31, 2014, 04:57 saluk

And with this, we leave January having seen 3 of the oldest kickstarter seeds produce fruit. I believe this is one of the oldest kickstarter games to finish so far; from all the way back in 2011.

It's a lot of fun. It's clear a lot of time was spent tuning the controls - they are flimsy and odd (which is part of the gameplay, trying not to cause too much ruckus) but for the most part they make sense. The scenario is just hilarious, writing is charming, graphics aren't spectacular but they sell it well enough. It's a huge improvement from the freeware version.

I've heard it's short though. Even with a level editor not sure it's worth the 20% off asking price. But of course like everything else it will be on sale at some point. Everything is priced for the eventual sale now. If you start too low you have nowhere to go :/ I'm glad I kickstarted this though, I don't have to pay for it again and I had totally forgotten about it. It's like christmas in january

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 28, 2014, 18:26 saluk

Come on Nintendo. "It's not as simple as just getting mario running on smartphones." "We have no plans to do anything with smartphones"

It's headless chicken time.

755 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo