Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 699 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
44. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 15:42 saluk

I totally believe a small team can do something like this. The biggest timesink in game development is content - it's not only a burden on the content teams, but the programming and production teams spend a ton of time supporting the content teams. Procedural content can be tricky to get right, but a couple genius programmers can pull off a lot of bang with a little buck - minecraft has shown this superbly.

This trailer is stunning though. Way to show up all the big guys with their bogged down processes and procedures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game of Thrones Confirmed
15. Re: Game of Thrones Confirmed Dec 9, 2013, 15:29 saluk

Now this on the other hand has some potential. My feeling is that they have their production teams on the in-progress seasons, and borderlands/thrones are in the hands of the preproduction teams at the moment. When the other seasons complete, they will move over onto these projects and start 2 more pre-production teams.

I don't know if they can really handle 2 productions at a time, but I'm sure they are still working out the kinks.

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
20. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 9, 2013, 15:21 saluk

Love borderlands for the silly actiony fun and the guns. Love telltale games for the cool story. I don't really see the guns being translated well into a telltale game, and the borderlands lore seems a pretty lame place to tell a story in.

Why?

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
10. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 14:24 saluk

After trying to for a while, I just can't get behind these TRUE sandbox games. Let's throw a bunch of random objects in the bin, okay, have fun kids! No I'm not going to sit and draw some tiles around to make my house look pretty for 5 hours. But I see the appeal for others, and this looks like it pushes forward a bit more. It's been fun to watch some of the streams.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 5, 2013, 00:57 saluk

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 15:32:
nin wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 13:25:
Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 13:20:
Oh what the fucking shit?! I go to jump back into the game and it loads me up back at the beginning of Cuba!? Fuck me I finished clearing all of it last night! Fucking UPLAY and their fucking cloud fucking bullshit!

Yeah, I don't have that problem on ps4 at all.

From things I've seen in the Uplay client and their website, it won't be long until Uplay gets rolled out to PS4/Failbox, and then you too can enjoy the wonder that is Uplay!

On a side note, I'm glad I'm playing it on the PC. The controller still hurts my hand too much, so I learned to play it with m/kb, and I'm about 10 times as deadly on the ocean with m/kb. (Normal battle not so much, as the game seems to frequently want to forget that "E" is "counter")

That's OK, the game always forgets what the counter button means on the gamepad as well.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
74. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Nov 29, 2013, 16:52 saluk

Tulwinn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 18:21:
saluk wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:25:
Rogue Legacy OMGFTWWTFBBQ! There went my day yesterday...
you bought it though right? the deal is still good for another 24 hours

Haha yeah. I bought it. That's why I lost a day

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
69. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 14:25 saluk

Rogue Legacy OMGFTWWTFBBQ! There went my day yesterday...

I'll put in another rec for sleeping dogs, really enjoyed that game. Great atmosphere, fun combat (up until the stupid QTE at the end), decent story. Definitely beats GTAs on story and hand to hand combat. Missions do get repetitive though - it's not quite AC1 bad, but it's not great either.

Still, one of the few games like this I've done all of the content available.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2013, 20:16 saluk

Not giving them any money, but what a kickstarter video. WTF. Hilarious and awesome.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
44. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 16:19 saluk

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 11:31:
The only thing that really irritates me in AC4 (other than the typical "Edward climbs when you want him to jump and jumps when you want him to climb, will stand still when you want him to run, and will completely miss the 240 square foot chimney you were jumping towards, and instead will diagonally jump and fall to his death in the fucking street" HORSESHIT that's been in this series since day fucking one, and apparently NOBODY at Ubisoft can figure out this is because YOU KEEP FUCKING INTERCHANGING THE RUN AND JUMP BUTTONS DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION. YOU FUCKING MORONS.)

Oh yeah...

They've actually put a considerable amount of R+D time into the movement system (~2 years for AC3 afaik, probably 2 yearsish for the first game). I don't know why it still has so many weird edge cases, but the inverse kinematics is really complex. Unlike most platformers, which tend to have designers script logic information into the levels (this is a ledge, this is an impassable wall), they let their level designers basically build whatever geometry they want to, with no tags, and trust the skeletal animation AI to maneuver it correctly. Pretty difficult to tune, especially for the scope of the environments.

Still, after so many games, there seems to be a huge disconnect between the technical and the design teams. AC3 has a lot of cool things they built into the system on the tech side that the designers didn't even use. And then the design team is always building stuff that doesn't actually work with the tech - like mountain sides that look climbable and aren't etc.

Sad to hear AC4 continues this craziness. AC has some of the most impressive animation technology around today, but it doesn't use it to any great advantage, and often is disadvantaged by reliance on it.

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
21. Re: dcross@neverwhen.org Nov 25, 2013, 14:57 saluk

Minuit wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:48:
Primalchrome wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:15:
InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:03:
How would they be held accountable? Pray tell, please.
....er...because they will have an account they're invested in linked to the reviews?

I think there's more to it than that.

Current cost of a Steam account: $0.

Number of accounts which could launch a free game, launch a game on a free weekend, or use family sharing to launch a title only once, giving them the right to review it: Unlimited.

Total investment required to create an arbitrarily large number of accounts which have no visible link back to your own for the purpose of flooding the review system: Only time, something which The Internet seems to have too much on its hands already.

Even if you tried to use "number of games owned" as a kind of filter to cut out astroturf accounts, you can buy about a half dozen Humble Bundle Steam keys for only $1, meaning that a throw-away account with a noticeable number of owned titles would cost less than a double-double. I'm sure that Valve has thought of this, but they are going to have an interesting time ahead of them if they really want to keep their reviewers from trying to game the system.

But you will see how many hours a reviewer has actually played the game. Someone who comes in trolling who has only played a few minutes will be blatantly obvious. And for the most part, most of the reviews will come from people who own said game. So no, it's not a 0$ buy in situation.

There will be free weekends, and family plan etc throwing somewhat of a wrench in that, but it should be a lot better than the forums.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
54. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 02:25 saluk

I voted that I am indifferent. Each system has it's positives and negatives, it's clear from the vote that this is a very evenly divided issue Whichever they choose, I'm sure they will balance it and fit it into the rest of the game so it works as well as possible.

In the abstract, I tend to prefer real-time when controlling one unit, and turn-based when controlling a party. So NVN was just fine, you had your henchmen, but you could focus completely on your own character. The new fallouts improved on the original's combat for me - it always felt a lot slower than it should, especially when on my own, waiting for all of the enemies to take their turns. Baldur's gate just gets hectic for me. I don't really like most RTS for the same reason.

But in the particular, for Torment, it's not really about the combat so much. I think the original game was weakened a bit by being shoehorned into the baldur's gate combat engine. It needs to feel exciting and important, but I also expect to be able to avoid a lot of the combat and not be slogging through 100's of tedious dungeons filled with trolls. RTwP or turn-based will be OK.

I kind of think this is why in this case the designers felt they needed to reach out about it.

News Comments > Telltale's Game of Thrones Game?
22. Re: Telltale's Game of Thrones Game? Nov 23, 2013, 02:09 saluk

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:30:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 02:08:
Hopefully it follows TWD format and is based on the books and not the TV series.

So i've watched all 3 seasons, and liked it so much i started in on the books. I've finished the first one and i'm halfway through the second. Now honestly besides 1 or 2 very minor parts/scenes i'm suprised just how accurate the show actually is. Maybe it happens later in book 2 or comes down to the first half of book 3 for season 3 but the show is pretty damn faithful to the books as far as i've read. So i dont know why i keep seeing people say this about the book/show comparison...

As with any art... it exists in the mind. The impression you get is a subjective view of the objective artifact. Some people like you are going to have a similar internal representation generated from either media, while others are going to get something that diverges more. TV though is a little more objective than books - so when you went from the show into the books, you are being guided by the shows perceptions. Someone who has read and reread the books many times over the last 15 years going into the show, and being forced to view it with someone else's perceptions, is going to experience it differently.

I think they did a stupendous job myself. There are things about the show I like much better in fact.

News Comments > Telltale's Game of Thrones Game?
12. Re: Telltale's Game of Thrones Game? Nov 22, 2013, 01:55 saluk

Yeah. Their best bet I think is something like The Walking Dead was. An original story set in that environment. Trying to match existing characters too much has been difficult for them in the past, and with such a well known and hot IP it would be dangerous to get that wrong. I'd still prefer a nice big rpg in the world by bethesda or bioware (circa 2004) to an adventure game... But if they can do a good game in this world have at it!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 19, 2013, 21:28 saluk

My thoughts exactly.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
61. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 18:43 saluk

My main issue with new thief (thief 4) is this. Not that they went in a different direction from old thief (which is strange enough - why choose an ip people loved and go in a very different direction?). But that all of the messaging that has surrounded the project since it's announcement has failed to present any sort of cohesive vision.

It certainly hasn't engendered goodwill toward the thief faithful, with a features list that almost looks like it is a counter point to what thief fans originally liked about the game.

Other rebirths have managed OK. Fallout 3 was mentioned - while it is not a 2d isometric rpg, it actually has a lot of the core elements that made the original games great. Sure, some people just prefer 2d isometric games; but the setting, funny writing, crazy weapons, tactics, perks, and multiple solutions to problems all survived more or less intact (or improved). I still have a soft spot in my heart for FO1, and consider it the better game overall, but I enjoyed my time in FO3 and NV.

What was my point? Ah whatever I forget. Hope this weird Thi4f rebirth is not terrible.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
13. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 03:03 saluk

I've had the early access for a couple weeks, I definitely like it better than PoE. But I'm not a huge ARPG fan, so take that with a grain of salt. I liked some of the unique features of PoE but the world never grabbed me, while the environments and story pulled me into Grim Dawn pretty fast.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 15:01 saluk

STAHP!  

News Comments > Limit Theory Video
6. Re: Limit Theory Video Nov 4, 2013, 14:51 saluk

The procedural research seems pretty interesting! Yeah he talked about some cool ai stuff last month but seems to have put that aside for more graphical bling this time. I really want to see where he is going with the rest of the game.  

News Comments > The Walking Dead Season 2 Announced
11. Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Announced Oct 30, 2013, 03:18 saluk

You can always stick an episode here or there in between other stuff.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
26. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:33 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:12:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:10:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:44:
I'm absolutely a great catch. I take care of myself and have a good career. I'm also modest But it doesn't matter. The girls hear you're a gamer, they run away fast. It's not me, the stereotype is in full effect still. Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

Ask Dick:
Not as rare as a "Great Catch". Ok, like how many hours are you playing and are you willing to give several of them up to make a relationship happen? Why are you being described as "being a gamer"?

Perhaps you are in the casual crowd, known as fashionable to me. There are many other clicks out there. I'm not saying it helps that you are a gamer, but I didn't find it (married now) the issue, unless I was compulsive.

I'm not sure I understand what you just said... But anyway, I've had girlfriends before who accepted me for who I am All I'm saying is that gaming is still a stigma nowadays.

Gaming is still a stigma [i]for the group whom grew up with it as a stigma[/i]. Attitudes change over time, but not generally within a single individual. I was at a youth group party a year ago where the girls were playing mario kart on the wii, and the guys were joking around and looking up stuff on youtube. Saying girls don't like games or gamers is a stereotype. Of course it's probably true for certain groups. When skyrim came out, most of the girls I know had heard of it and were interested in hearing about it - even the ones who don't really game. It's never been a factor in my strike-outs. Most of the married guys I hang out with game as well.

Although some of them only play COD

699 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo