Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
15. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 17:37 saluk

2014 is ruined!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
28. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 16:03 saluk

Exceeded profit expectations vs fell short of expectations? There's no doublespeak going on - it's just a difference of whose expectations are being discussed, and whose expectations were actually reasonable  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2014, 21:25 saluk

As if our traditional banking institutions have a perfectly clean history.

Heck, as if our credit cards don't also get hacked

But yeah, don't use bitcoin. Seriously.

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
1. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Mar 4, 2014, 17:49 saluk

STAHP MAKING GAMES  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 14:02 saluk

I've been waiting for another SP movie for a long time.

Instead of a 2 hour movie for $10 I get 12 hours for $60? Where do I sign up?

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
29. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 16:33 saluk

Pr()ZaC wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:35:
Not related but I'd like to see the VR solution from Valve. Devs say it's pretty good.

Some of valve's work influenced the changes in the oculus. Nice to see that they are helping each other rather than competing.

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics
3. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics Feb 27, 2014, 20:57 saluk

Wow. A KS that delivers MORE than was promised? A game the size of the Pandora Directive is quite a meaty adventure game indeed. Way to show those OTHER adventure games how it's done  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2014, 16:01 saluk

She says she was attacked - and has video evidence. So I guess this could be seen as a positive?  

News Comments > Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users
17. Re: Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users Feb 26, 2014, 15:50 saluk

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:33:
I never understand these sort of announcements. So what you're really saying is 85.7 of people who tried your product feel it's not worth buying.

That's a pretty great conversion rate. And I'll take real info over glossed over press release bs any day.

News Comments > Dean Hall Leaving Bohemia and DayZ Later This Year
19. Re: Dean Hall Leaving Bohemia and DayZ Later This Year Feb 24, 2014, 14:20 saluk

Kajetan wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:04:
ELITE wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 12:57:
I don't get it...
He's going to start his own company and then leave it or shut it down once it gets started?
Yes. I know people, who are like that. People, who like to get things moving and after things are moving on their own, they leave to move new things, because they are bored with simply watching the old things. They like to initiate the first major push, then move on. Not my work or life style, but whatever floats your boat ...

I think a lot of people fall into one of these two camps. Good at starting things, and good at sustaining/finishing things. You see that in the business world all the time, startups put together by driven folks who believe the impossible, and more practical people who come in to actually capitalize on what began.

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2014, 14:12 saluk

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 13:27:
Go! Go! Nippon!

So I'm looking at this game, trying to wrap my head around it. Why on earth was it made? What were the devs thinking? Who's the market for something like this?

Just...can't...under...stand... Wall

So I did some research. Apparently this company discovered it's English versions of Japanese Visual novels sell well and decided to make an original game aimed at the western market who buys their Japanese games. Hilarity ensues

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 14:05 saluk

I've known about Banished for roughly a year and a half, so it had SOME word of mouth. I think it's the case of a lot of the right people remembering what it was when it went on sale; and then just filling a void. (A finished non pixel-art non platformer indie simulation!)  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 24, 2014, 13:41 saluk

CrimsonPaw wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 12:06:
Hasn't Kojima been trying to "step out from Metal Gear" since MGS2 or 3? Seems that he's been done while making MGS4, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and the 5s -- he has an odd way of getting out of it.

People on the way out tend to get reeled back in a few times before actually following through. Letting go can be hard.

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
14. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 14:34 saluk

Just looking at the kickstarter updates isn't enough. "Backer only" or not, the rest of the internet is not following their kickstarter. What caused the backlash were the reports coming from other sites, the regular news sites that people DO follow.

They've had much better communication in this regard since "the incident", including setting up their future crowd sourced projects in a more open way. Of course there hasn't been much in the way of bad news to report either Better to not have bad news in the first place, because no matter how you handle it, people are still going to see through the spin.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 14:19 saluk

Come on everybody! Raise some money to help fund the sequel! One SC certainly isn't enough. Hiring more people is the only way to be sure this can happen.

Invest in your future.

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
9. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 14:15 saluk

Yeah Gothic 1/2 are pretty amazing. Some of the best examples of blending a sandbox with a compelling storyline and interesting characters. Gothic 3 diverged from that quite a bit in trying to compete with bethesda. Risen brought it back around somewhat, but neither risen game, while competent, are as compelling.

I'll probably keep buying these games though. Just in case.

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
20. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 18:42 saluk

Pigeon wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 13:00:
Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:51:
Cool news.

As for the internet hate, just ignore it. If your backers were fine with it, who the fuck cares about everyone else?

Really the only bad things I've heard about the game is it's length, and a few rumblings that the girl's section isn't as good. I'll have to check it out sometime. I did get a %25 off coupon for double-fine games, but I've got a back log to work through already so I may be better off waiting till its on sale.

There isn't really a consensus on either of these things. Some people like both stories equally, some prefer one, and some prefer the other. I think that's what you risk when you do a joint narrative like this where each story is so radically different in setup, style, etc.

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
83. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 21, 2014, 01:52 saluk

SmyTTor wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 01:16:
Rather than say the game sucks in general, I'll say why it isn't very good, for me.

I realize this is beta and use that grain of salt liberally when seeing the entire opening day scrubbed due to server connectivity issues on MS's side. I do not think it was okay to have the graphics on PC look as dated as they did so close to public release. But, I will say that even bumped up to max, the game ran very smoothly on a mid-range machine.

The auto-aim code is strong with this one. Aside from a weapon that can lock on and automatically track and kill multiple things at once, there is far too much correction going on. You can especially see this in the immediate death replays while waiting to respawn. Or when you wonder how the hell you just hit that guy when your cursor ended up blocked by the wall.

There is way too much one-shot killing. You can kill a guy with a shotgun clipping a foot. You can one-shot anyone from about 7-8 meters away with a flying kick. I'm not kidding. I topped an entire match solely (get it?!) by meleeing.

This is not a mech game. When you get your titan, you are pretty much a wrecking machine if you come across any other player. It's not that it's all just power, you also have about as much speed of movement and agility. That side-step is powerful, even with having it as two very short-timed charges. In one quick backslide I splattered 4 pilots and 4 npcs.

The npcs on each side end up making it harder to locate actual players. However it's a strange mix. The flow of combat is so inhibited by so many features that are crammed into the game. Like the cloaking ability, and the mini-map pointing out enemy locations, and the FOV being capped as it is. Don't get me wrong, those would have their places in other games, but it seems like it was about how many features from other popular games they could put in "Titanfall" rather than how they actually affected game play.

I actually really like the way the double jump/wall sprinting mechanics were implemented and that alone would have been amazing. I just don't think everything combined the way it is fits together into one coherent game.

Lest anyone try calling me out, I was really pumped for this game. I'm not an EA fan, but this game really caught my eye. The game just feels like a run-of-the-mill FPS console port with little else going for it at this point.

I will personally be passing on this game. The only other upcoming FPS that caught my eye was "Tom Clancy's The Division" and I really hope that turns out well.

See, I have the absolute opposite opinion. I've been bored of multiplayer fps pretty much since TF2 was new. I had a very brief fling with BF3 and dinked around with some of the other lackluster games in the genre the last couple years, but it's just been so bland lately. Titanfall caught my eye a little bit, just because of all the attention, but I figured it would just be call of duty with mech suits. What we actually got kind of blows me away with all of the bold moves.

I agree with you that there are a lot of weird ideas in Titanfall, and they don't always work together - but I think that's more of a balance issue than anything else. To me it feels like everything is there for a purpose. The focus on autoaim makes cover and maneuverability important, and helps with issues like lag and mouse/controller discrepancies. The maneuverability and cloaking help for autoaim, and give soldiers an advantage over the sheer firepower and size of the titans. The titans are really fun to pilot, and give pilots extra survivability - they are like having an extra life. I don't particularly like the ai elements, but I can see the design goals at work (make the fight feel bigger than it is, without decending into madness, or limiting # of titans per team, or other solutions).

I think with so many elements, the balance is a bit off.

But overall, I haven't had this much fun in this genre in a long time.

Yeah this bribery nonsense - it's EA, there probably is some of that going on - but even if it's true it's absolutely unnecessary.

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
5. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 19:10 saluk

Short answer: VAC is icky yet necessary, and none of the icky things are actually out of scope.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
11. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 19:07 saluk

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:50:
nin wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:10:
Kinda sad, but I think Infinite was a step down from their previous work...

I'm still scratching my head where I'm exploring this beautiful, colorful world, and then suddenly I'm in the middle of a klan rally, jamming a metal hook in someones eye socket.

It's funny you say that, I stopped playing shortly after that part. I keep meaning to go back, but haven't been able to. But that first couple of hours, WOW.

Also, too: COMMENTS!!!111

Same experience here. "Ok now kill people". I don't really feel like it? Quit.

Seems pretty lame to lay off 100 people just to go work on a pet project.

Ken actually talked about the pet project a few months ago - it was kind of a narrative AI with logic blocks that can plug into each other. So no, not a planescape style thing, but a really freeflowing narrative. Probably more of an experiment than anything else, but along lines that interest me and I think will eventually be the future.

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo