Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname saluk
ICQ None given.
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 933 (Graduate)
User ID 23037
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 27, 2015, 14:01 saluk
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:49:
Hyatus wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:59:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:43:
Sounds more like an inside job from one of the SJWs.

I'm with you on questioning the credibility of the threats, but there is nothing here that supports any notion that it was an 'inside job.' The FBI isn't going to spend time tracking down anonymous internet threats to a gaming convention panel, and it's far easier and cheaper for SXSW to just cancel the panel than have to deal with this.

Oh sure they will, and do. It's part of their mandate - and anything that nets them terrorist related headlines only nets them more power and money. Hell, there was a bomb threat at one of the university's here last week and they shut the school down. Turns out it was a 16 year old punk - and he was found by the FBI helping the local fuzz. I'm pretty sure that all such threats, in fact, have to be investigated now.

School VS conference; single credible threat VS a plethora of loose threats.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Gangs Trailer
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Gangs Trailer Oct 22, 2015, 17:54 saluk
If I finish Rogue before November, the delay may actually mean I can finish my november novel without any distractions for a change.  
News Comments > etc.
30. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 17:39 saluk
Spielberg, Lucas - not wrong, just narrow. "Video Games" encompasses such a wide range of experience as to be almost useless to make a general statement about them. Lucas probably has not played a Telltale for example, and if he had he might not put it in the same category of "games" that he is talking about. Spielberg's baby example I assume was in a scenario where the player could keep trying again to catch the baby, but what about if that scenario was halfway through the game and if you don't catch the baby you have to live with the repercussions? I know that I felt really bad when I accidentally killed the NPC at firelink shrine in Dark Souls about 20 hours in, even though I probably didn't need him for anything, because the game saved that he was gone, and I didn't have him greeting me when I entered anymore.

Non-game guys shouldn't speak on the difference between movies and games without doing their research as they don't know what is out there. Just as I would be a poor one to discuss the merits of, say, Flash Fiction, being that I mostly read novels. At the same time, there ARE certainly differences between movies and games, and there have been a lot of missteps along the way where games have learned the wrong lessons from cinema.

Still, why are we talking about a 2-year old talk
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 14:41 saluk
The issue here was not the quality of Community (which I think most would agree has generally degraded each season), but with Yahoo's lameo attempt to compete with Netflix or Amazon. ONE well known property (and one that a lot of people hate) against those juggernauts? I'm a pretty big fan of community... but I have other stuff I watch too. And I didn't miss it enough to give yahoo a try.  
News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria
6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria Oct 20, 2015, 19:45 saluk
It's a PS3 port. At least it exists... It's pretty rare for these games to come to pc! As long as it's not buggy and at least runs as well as it does on the consoles I'm happy.

And 24 fps lock for cutscenes... I mean. They are anime movies. That's the framerate that anime runs at. I don't see the issue???
News Comments > 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta
18. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 14:32 saluk
This attests to the hotness of the property at the moment more than anything else. And at least in production design they made good on capitalizing the property. Wowzers.  
News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
19. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 19:03 saluk
Quinn wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 17:06:
Ubisoft is giving people a full refund and/or free game for the (imo) minor issue of the CE not having a physical disc. If anyone is pathetic in this reality, it's the customer. Not Ubisoft. I really don't get the hatred. They compensate greatly for people who are obviously stuck in the past. Face it, folks: MTV is no longer a music channel, Ozzie became an actor, and game discs gave way to digital downloads.

Instead of reminding those people of the harsh reality of change, they offer free games instead! They act like too sweet parents who give their whining child an icecream just so they would STFU.

Considering the low cost of physical media, the other items in the box, and the price customers are paying for said box, not including the actual game so people don't have to waste bandwidth to download is cheap and greedy as fuck.
News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 10, 2015, 15:17 saluk
Actually, not a huge minecraft or minecraft lp fan myself; but it makes a lot more sense to me than other let's plays. What happens in the game actually represents the casters personality a lot more than most games.

Anyway. This is basically how fame works. People like people.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2015, 17:10 saluk
Ooo boy, can't wait to see the conspiracy nuts open up this pandora's box.

And control? We've never been able to control anything. How are the latest technology advancements any different? Control is always an illusion.
News Comments > Quote of the Day
38. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 13:48 saluk
By not playing on console, I am self-limiting my pool of games. It sucks sometimes when a game I'd REALLY like to play (like RDR) doesn't make it to the market, and I will complain about it with the rest of pc gamers. But really, as long as the market is healthy, not getting all of the games is a good thing. If I had a console, that would mean beyond things I'd REALLY like to play my time would be even more divided amongst a ton of games that I'm only marginally interested in.  
News Comments > The Witness in January
1. Re: The Witness in January Sep 17, 2015, 19:21 saluk
100 hours? I'm scared. Still never finished Talos principle.  
News Comments > Shenmue 3 Seeks More Crowdfunding
2. Re: Shenmue 3 Seeks More Crowdfunding Sep 17, 2015, 16:54 saluk
It's in the F.A.Q:

"Why is the PC version of Shenmue III not offered on this website?
At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties."

I am guessing that the pc version may have been a kickstarter exclusive in the license due to sony's participation. Pretty crappy if the case.

Edit: saw a twitter that there apparently was an issue with offering the pc version in further crowdfunding campaigns. Kind of weird.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2015, 20:03.
News Comments > The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
17. Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux Sep 12, 2015, 16:58 saluk
It was short, but had decent puzzles (and I really liked the 'style' of the puzzles) and an intriguing story-line until the ending. Still, the end result to me was that it was a cool tech demo. I might run through redux again since it's free.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 16:32 saluk
It's so common for these contracts to expire and not be renewed it doesn't warrant a story. They have very good statistics at netflix. If they are not renewing some content, it is because they will lose less customer dollars than a renewal would cost. If at some point their metrics show that adding those back in will net some profit or keep customers happy, they can get a new contract. I don't know about most people, but most of the people I know watch TV on netflix streaming, but also have a dvd account for movies.  
News Comments > HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed
12. Re: HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed Aug 28, 2015, 15:55 saluk
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 10:20:
My primary concern with all of these VR headsets coming out isn't resolution/refresh rate. Those things will constantly improve over time. The first headsets need to be sure to NOT cause motion sickness, that's the absolute most important part. Make someone sick once, they'll never use it again and they'll warn their friends against it. So the resolution is lower than we'd want, because it has to work on less-than-stellar video cards to sell enough to gain traction.

But none of that is really news. What no one seems to be talking about is interoperability. With what...5 different headsets coming out, is there a standard for the interface? Or will SOME games work with the Valve headset, and a completely different set of games with with the Rift, and ANOTHER set only works with the Razer headset...

I see it like when 3D accelerators first came out. Sure, 3DFX cards were the king of the hill, but for a while there, SOME games had a 3DFX patch, and others had PowerVR patches, but very rarely did one game have both. There were other contenders as well, and it made for a splintered market. DirectX came along and solved all that, making it a just required people to run their games in windows, not DOS. I didn't like the overhead windows added, but the benefits of directX could not be denied.

Currently, I sincerely doubt these headset makers are agreeing on a standard. They're all funding different projects so they can brag about having a must-have game ONLY in VR on THEIR headset. Because they're only interested in selling THEIR headset, NOT the sustainability of VR as a standard.

Does anyone recall seeing a single article about compatability? Not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously hoping I somehow have missed that happening.

The companies putting out the headsets aren't focusing on whether games developed for theirs will work on somebody elses. Valve/HTC, Oculus, and Morpheus are all focused on providing the best experience they can from their respective viewpoints. They are similar but competiting. The device that garners the most support, and performs the best in the marketplace, will drive the standard, in the same way that the playstation dual shock design essentially created standardization in the gamepad arena, amidst many competing designs.

However, there are other players with some skin in the game. Razer is releasing their open vr system, whose hardware is nothing to write home about, but the software aims to play nice with most headsets. The jury is out on how well this software will work with oculus or vive; but it is one pathway to interoperability.

Also, unlike in the early days of hardware acceleration, most games are created using industry standard engines. The VR support is handled by the engine rather than by developers directly, and industry standard engines will have support for the major players. This means that porting from one system to another will be a lot easier. We've already seen this with very interesting vr demos being ported between the existing oculus dev kits, the gearvr, and google glass. If devs want to make a little more money and it is worth porting, they will do so.

Finally, none of the content at the beginning of this is going to really be interesting enough to be sad you are missing out on it, when you have other cool things to try on whatever you go with. It's like how 90% of the games during a console launch are pretty looking trash that you get just so you have something to play on it.
News Comments > Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming
5. Re: Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming Aug 26, 2015, 19:17 saluk
Turok! Come for the dinosaurs, stay for the best example of the aphorism "nobody likes jumping puzzles in a fps". Those later levels, falling and having to reply like half of the level to get to where you fell and then falling again.

Also, the first turok was like a showcase of the 3dfx chip if I recall. So most people never played it, because most people never had a 3dfx.
News Comments > Bob Was Hungry Released
4. Re: Bob Was Hungry Released Aug 19, 2015, 21:01 saluk
I'd buy it for a fiver. Would be a good time with some friends I think.  
News Comments > TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month
1. Re: TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month Aug 15, 2015, 12:42 saluk
Thank goodness this is coming back, and to the PC!

Wait, what is this?
News Comments > Funcom Seeking Help
10. Re: Funcom Seeking Help Aug 10, 2015, 20:14 saluk
Without Ragnar I have no real attachment to Funcom. Although The Secret World was one of my favorite MMOs.  
News Comments > Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually
1. Re: Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually Aug 10, 2015, 17:44 saluk
Come on Tom Hall get your pitch together!  
933 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo