Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 822 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PhysX Source Code Released for Free
13. Re: PhysX Source Code Released for Free Mar 5, 2015, 01:44 saluk

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 20:19:
DukeFNukem wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:41:
DukeFNukem wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:41:
Windows 10 goes free(kinda, sorta), Unreal 4 Engine goes free, PhysX is free now, what the hell is going on, it's the apocalypse!!!!! Good stuff.
You've missed Source 2 also free

You're right. I read something about that also. I wonder if this will put pressure on Carmack to release idTech 5 Engine for free. I hope so. Can't be anything but good for everybody.

What does Carmack have to do with it? He doesn't work for Bethsoft anymore.

I don't understand how these guys can just give these things away after sinking so much time and money into them. I get Source 2 as those games will likely end up on Steam anyway, and Unity has a monthly fee, and UE4 has royalties, but this?

Development tools in general tend to make more money off of licensing and services than from the actual product. Also, as far as the source (as stated above, the sdk was already free for a while) is concerned, it looks like people are starting to realize that releasing the source code can help a lot more than it can hurt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Mar 5, 2015, 01:27 saluk

Damn. One of the Oculus founders also died in an accident. VR/AR is claiming lives.  

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
32. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 21:51 saluk

The KS for oculus was essentially just for the dk1, which they already delivered on. You can buy oculus now if you want - and quite a lot of people have. Even though it never had a wide release, I pretty much consider all the new stuff generation 2. Looking forward to whatever wins and blows this thing up, though a device focused on walking around the room is pretty impractical for a lot of folks, in a hardware category that's already pretty impractical.  

News Comments > Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Released
8. Re: Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Released Feb 21, 2015, 22:30 saluk

They've outdone themselves with this one.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity PC Patch
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity PC Patch Feb 20, 2015, 15:51 saluk

Haven't played farcry 4, but there are specific missions designed for coop and that's it. The missions are implemented in-world, and you get people letting you know that there is a mission going on. You get rewards that you can use in SP, and your level caries over into the coop, but no, it is not what I would call campaign coop.

On the plus side, the coop missions are pretty good and there are quite a few of them.

Still waiting for that mythical future where every game has full campaign coop by default

News Comments > Broken Age Act 2 in Beta, Due in Spring; Schafer on Molyneux
18. Re: Broken Age Act 2 in Beta, Due in Spring; Schafer on Molyneux Feb 19, 2015, 18:30 saluk

Tim and Moly are similar in many ways, and in a sense, share the same basic failing. They are both highly creative, artistic people, with very little to buffer them. The kinds of things Peter says are the kinds of things I say to myself when I'm planning a novel or working on one of my own games. "Wow, this puzzle game is great, but maybe it would be better with a crafting system?" "Oh man, what if this character is actually the main character from the future who has come back but he is hiding his identity?" You kind of HAVE to go to this crazy space where anything can happen, it's just what comes natural.

At some point you either get lucky, or have enough other forces working as a project goes on to keep you grounded. With both Godus and Broken Age, the projects were public far too soon in the dev process, while things are still in the "anything can happen!" phase of creation. And not enough was done to ground them.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 16, 2015, 21:14 saluk

The Last Guardian forever!  

News Comments > EFF Seeks DMCA Game Exception
17. Re: SOPA - Aaron Swartz Feb 12, 2015, 19:26 saluk

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:15:
El Pit wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 13:55:
ldonyo wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 12:49:
SOPA and CISPA didn't die on their own, they were taken out back and beaten by people who did more than whine and cry about how awful those pieces of legislation were. The EFF and ACLU were the main instigators of the efforts to kill those bills before they ever got out of committee.

But those people often pay a price too high. Aaron Swartz was a brilliant mind and great guy who collapsed under the pressure big money and its muppets (called politicians - BOTH democrats and republicans!) put on him by means of a very business friendly law, some dating back to the 80s and just plain wrong in our times, but good to silence activists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

https://archive.org/details/TheInternetsOwnBoyTheStoryOfAaronSwartz

Stop holding up this guy as a working class hero. He broke the law, plain and simple. I believe in Open Access too, but I also believe other people don't and have a right to keep that information private if they wish, and that my belief doesn't trump theirs and thereby give me lease to break laws I disagree with. Run for office and change the system itself if it bothers you that much. And rather than face it like a man, he took the coward's way out. There's nothing heroic about this guy at all. Christ, if we could pick and choose what laws we want to follow I'd shoot everyone who looks at me sideways and have robbed a dozen banks by now.

The case was way more nuanced than you describe, and most of the issues people have with the case are more about the excessive extent it was prosecuted than the laws themselves.

I wish he had kept fighting instead of ending it though. Rather than an example of how we can't fight the system, I think it's just one more sign that we should do everything we can. EFF has thrown down a volley, weak as it may be, and a legal fight is ultimately the type of action that is required. Civil disobedience can bring awareness, but laws last longer than people.

News Comments > Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises
16. Re: Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises Feb 10, 2015, 23:49 saluk

No kidding  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 10, 2015, 23:48 saluk

So the game releases in march then? Cool. The beta has been fun though.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Feb 10, 2015, 20:57 saluk

Bravo. Scores are pretty meaningless and I hate them. Even if the recommend system is essentially a 4 star system, because it contains within it the context there is less room for ambiguity about what the number means.  

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 17:45 saluk

"Gabe Newell shows us who sometimes the CEO has to step in when the CS department fucks up"  

News Comments > RÉPUBLIQUE REMASTERED This Month
1. Re: RÉPUBLIQUE REMASTERED This Month Feb 5, 2015, 17:04 saluk

Wanted to give this a try but don't really do mobile. If it's a decent port I may check it out - screenshots aren't bad.  

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter
24. Re: Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Feb 4, 2015, 18:18 saluk

The prototype was made in 4 months. 4 months. Obviously they are focusing on getting the systems running at this point and not graphical polish!

Anyway the ideas sound great, and the team is solid and proven. No qualms backing here... but probably not one of the higher tiers.

News Comments > New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored
9. Re: New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored Feb 2, 2015, 14:25 saluk

Yeah condemned was pretty great. An underrated gem. Good first person melee combat - so rare! Was sad the pc never got the sequel.  

News Comments > Prison Architect Sells 1M
7. Re: Prison Architect Sells 1M Jan 31, 2015, 14:03 saluk

They've earned it. A great product with consistent support and care.

I hope it never leaves alpha, announcement notwithstanding! Updates forever and funny videos to go along with them!

The game has really changed a heckuva lot since I last played, but I haven't been in a simmy mood for a while.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2015, 14:08.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2015, 04:19 saluk

Making a smurfs game is dumb. Copywright law is dumb. Suing a freeware homebrew amiga game with 50 downloads is EXTRA dumb. Fining only 2000? Not bad!  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 25, 2015, 04:10 saluk

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 17:42:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:15:
From the whining on blues lately you'd think straight white males were the victims.

How dare anybody complain about rape/death threats, or discuss their viewpoint on a video game!?!

A) We are the victims because we're all lumped in as everything that's wrong in the world when it's absolutely untrue. In spite of the fact that we're the ones who actually make the world a better place to live. And we have to deal with racism in the form of Affirmative Action, etc.

B) Faking rape/death threats for fun and profit is disgusting. If you actually believe for a second they're real I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you cheap.

This breakdown shows Anita is a pretty good scam artist. That doesn't make most white males "victims". If I'm a victim, hooray. I make a lot of money, don't work very hard, and have a plethora of media aimed squarely at me to take the edge off. It's the life. I reeeeeally don't deserve to have it so easy. Should I feel bad or ashamed to have it so easy? No, that's not right either. But I know where I am. And I'm freaking secure enough in my own self worth not to get all huffy if people point out what a nice tower I am sitting atop. I mean, what can they say? I'm sitting in a tower! A tower that, for the most part, I was born into.

As for the fake death threats, I'll just assume you are implying that the threats actually occurred, but the people giving them were never intending to carry through. But I've heard people claim she made them up. With the amount of hate that is aimed at her, I would be extremely surprised if she had not received any threats. Perhaps she blew it out of proportion - but how can you tell the difference between a real threat and a fake one? In a world where people send SWAT into peoples homes just because it's funny, and hack and post private information about people they want to silence, you have to be careful.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2015, 21:14 saluk

Always good advice Molyneux!  

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
3. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 23, 2015, 21:07 saluk

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 19:53:
After seeing the dated graphics the sense of nostalgia dies pretty quick. It'd be nice if they were re-released with updated HD graphics. Look at Resident Evil for example, they can do the same here.

Pah. Give me the originals. Most of the time people try to "update" things it makes them worse. I like GoG because for the most part that's what you get - the games you used to like (or the games you wanted to like but missed) - without trying to pretty them up and make them palatable to a modern audience - and in a playable state on modern computers.

822 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo