Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 968 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2015, 15:01 saluk

That Brazil story is old. WhatsApp was already lifted.

It's like shutting down 911 service there lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 17, 2015, 16:18 saluk

He could always ask for more money on top of that  

News Comments > Kojima's Konami Exit?
4. Re: Kojima's Konami Exit? Dec 15, 2015, 22:51 saluk

Finally. So now we can completely ignore Konami and go back to complaining about Hideo's antics on his own.  

News Comments > The Climb Announced
24. Re: The Climb Announced Dec 15, 2015, 18:49 saluk

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 12:50:
Seriously? This is what they're bringing to the VR table? These are tech demos, not games.

Yes, and your criticism would be?

Launch titles for a console are rarely more than tech demos. And for a fairly new technology category even moreso. And from Crytek who have been failing really bad on bigger stuff, it makes so much sense to focus on doing one small thing really well.

If they can execute this well enough it will be a great game to show off the "system" as it were.

There's more info in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYFsWSc9gU

It seems like they wanted to do something more fully featured but realized that having to innovate too many different types of gameplay at once without vetting them was going to be a surefire way to never release anything.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
57. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 19:59 saluk

To all of the anti-complaint complainers, at what point is it OK to complain? In 3 more years when it is still labeled as pre-alpha because this kind of scope-creep ensures a game that can never be finished?

If they had billed it originally as a dwarf fortress style 15 year project they wouldn't have raised the money but I wouldn't be so negative towards them either.

15. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 9, 2015, 19:22 saluk

ItBurn - we can discuss the depth or lack thereof in Daggerfall for eternity! There is a lot in there that definitely suggests depth. I am aware that many of the quests are random, with quite a bit of flexibility in how they go down. On the other hand, you will get that same quest multiple times from different npcs, and it feels pretty meaningless. You get some money and maybe increase your skills and reputation. I think the Radiant stuff going on in Skyrim and F4 is not a significant step down. And the main scripted quests in anything post daggerfall are more complex and interesting to me. I won't argue with you that the newer games are less open. It's hard to beat heavy procedural generation on that. I just really don't see the dumbing down that others see when they look at the games. They all seem about equally dumb to me, each with strengths and weaknesses.

But we'll see how I feel when I get to Oblivion on my attempt to beat every game in order And I have yet to play Fallout 4, I opted to go back and play the games I missed (which happen to be free) over spending 60$. From what I've seen though, again it loses some things from before, but adds something new with the settlements, so it sounds more like shifted complexity rather than reduced.

It would be pretty cool to see them bring back more procedural generation in their next game though. Their early games were pretty revolutionary in using it, only Elite or roguelikes come close to matching what they did. And with things like No Man's Sky and minecraft (and modern roguelike-alike-whatevers) it's bigger than it's ever been.

People sure like to hate on Bethesda, but it's not like they have any real competition in this space.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 9, 2015, 14:55 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 14:41:
saluk wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 14:36:
I'm currently playing daggerfall. I wouldn't say the modern games are dumbed down, the complexity is just in different places. They have NEVER been very complex RPGs. I just played through and finished the first one Arena, and even that one had some things that were taken out of Daggerfall, as well as having somethings added in the next game. It's always evolving.

The UI has also never been great. The PC UI on Daggerfall is one of the worst I've ever seen. When interfacing with a store or your wagon, you have a single column of unsorted items that is only 4 items long to scroll through. It's way worse than looking through items in Skyrim. I think the bug count and the UI has actually improved after that.

Bethesda games aren't super complex elite RPG's like other PC classics (ultima, wizardry, gold box etc). Since the beginning, they've been accessible open worlds that are fun to mess around in and not take too seriously. When the first game came out, rpg players of the time criticized it for how dumbed down it was compared to other games!

I replayed Daggerfall last month. You didn't play the same Daggerfall that I did! It's tough to compare Daggerfall to the other rpgs you named, but it's at least as complex and I would say more. Agree about the interface though. Fallout 4 has the same shitty interface when dealing with containers.

I'm pretty sure I'm playing the same one! It has the illusion of depth (a great illusion). But it boils down to essentially the same "collect random quest-clear random dungeon" cycle that arena followed. Most of the game systems are fairly underdeveloped. It's a great illusion, and the amount of "stuff" in there is really high, but all the "stuff" looks and feels the same. It also makes sense that in later games, as the types of "stuff" become more differentiated and unique, that the amount and scope necessarily decreases.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 9, 2015, 14:36 saluk

I'm currently playing daggerfall. I wouldn't say the modern games are dumbed down, the complexity is just in different places. They have NEVER been very complex RPGs. I just played through and finished the first one Arena, and even that one had some things that were taken out of Daggerfall, as well as having somethings added in the next game. It's always evolving.

The UI has also never been great. The PC UI on Daggerfall is one of the worst I've ever seen. When interfacing with a store or your wagon, you have a single column of unsorted items that is only 4 items long to scroll through. It's way worse than looking through items in Skyrim. I think the bug count and the UI has actually improved after that.

Bethesda games aren't super complex elite RPG's like other PC classics (ultima, wizardry, gold box etc). Since the beginning, they've been accessible open worlds that are fun to mess around in and not take too seriously. When the first game came out, rpg players of the time criticized it for how dumbed down it was compared to other games!

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Announced
18. Re: Psychonauts 2 Announced Dec 4, 2015, 22:14 saluk

Nope. From now on I only crowdfund real indie devs. Their project may blow up in flames, but at least I won't actually have any expectations up front, and I like to see people with a dream who are struggling to realize it at least have a shot. Bonus if I like their communication style prior to the campaign (devlog etc) or know them in person.

Not interested in double A or whatever you would call this kind of crowdfunding.

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
11. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 4, 2015, 22:09 saluk

Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:17:
Exactly I have titles from bundles that I will never play so I'd rather just delete them. It also always takes them forever to clear betas out of you lieberry too. So yeah, it's long overdue.

Be careful, in some cases you can only delete the whole bundle. Because all the games are stored as a single item in the database.

News Comments > Rock Band VR Announced
4. Re: Rock Band VR Announced Dec 4, 2015, 22:08 saluk

I hope they can figure out how to network this, because that would actually be really amazing. Multiplayer rockband without having to assemble. I have my doubts with lag etc though.  

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale
18. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 14:13 saluk

The bundles don't make you rebuy the games you own if you bought them on gog. Since I buy most of these types of games on gog anyway it works for me. But I agree just the same

What doesn't work for me are the mystery games. Eww.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 1, 2015, 14:49 saluk

Crowdfunding a crowdfunding site? Also check the 3 founders and their credentials. "Experienced gamer". "Smart alec". "Always looking for new game experiences". Where is the communications experience? Team and project management? Advertising? Interfacing with platform owners?

Ugh.

I actually like the general idea of a monthly subscription for early access rather than pre-purchasing individual titles to spread the risk out a little bit. Some of the worst early access offenders would have just faded away rather than generating so much negativity. 15/mo is too high though. I'm curious how the backend would work though. Some kind of percentage system based on plays like pandora? More of a curated system like netflix where they purchase games that they think will do well?

Oh, and this particular project clearly is never going to get off the ground.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2015, 16:16 saluk

People at work keep trying to get me into CS:GO, so I may end up in that statistic some day.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2015, 13:45 saluk

"Ok everyone, we turned it off. The blinking red light? Oh, that means it's off."  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 23, 2015, 23:52 saluk

I guess I'm the only one using tab groups. They are so good though. I'm tired of companies just ditching good ideas that they failed to promote.

Numbers are all that ever matter anymore.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 22, 2015, 00:40 saluk

I think PSVR is mostly a way to keep some of their engineers who have run out of things to do busy; and keep certain third parties from getting distracted by VR and working on potentially PC-exclusive content.  

1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 20, 2015, 18:29 saluk

"We have to keep creating quality games and be aggressive about doing new things."

So Dark Souls isn't going to turn into an annual franchise? Drats.

Seriously, much respect. Good interview. I like his perspective - not looking around for the next thing to copy, but looking for that space that hasn't yet been exhaustively mined.

News Comments > Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled
5. Re: Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled Nov 20, 2015, 18:22 saluk

Jivaro wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 17:19:
"Redacted Studios" seems like such an appropriate name...

Thought the same thing.

Never heard of this (or even the first one) and now I want to play it just to see how bad it could be that they would want to delete it from existence.

News Comments > No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support
2. Re: No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support Nov 19, 2015, 19:01 saluk

Nail in the coffin. You guys will be lucky to get any money from pc gamers again.

Maybe that was the idea. Do so bad on the port that they can justify not bothering with ports anymore.

968 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo