Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 706 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Octodad This Month
4. Re: Octodad This Month Jan 16, 2014, 15:07 saluk

Finally! The second game I backed on kickstarter, a year before Broken Age, when I didn't even really know what KS was. The first game was a really fun little bit of silliness. The second looks like a much more complete experience! So weird to not hear about something for so long and then have it just *poof* be ready to go.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
20. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 21:55 saluk

ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:48:
Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.
It's not as if Steam doesn't already sell crap games. That titles like A:CM and Ride to Hell are sold on the service means that it's clearly not functioning as a quality filter in the first place.

A:CM and even Ride to Hell are leagues ahead of what kind of stuff is going to wind up in the store if it becomes a free for all.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire This Month
5. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire This Month Jan 15, 2014, 13:21 saluk

The Legend is the first one. Then I armored princess, and crossworlds.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Banner Saga
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Banner Saga Jan 14, 2014, 19:31 saluk

Not really what I expected or wanted, but I don't feel bad for supporting it. It's always good to see a KS project deliver.  

News Comments > Banished Next Month
1. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 17:35 saluk

Nice, I was following this one a while ago, totally forgot it existed. Looks pretty great!  

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough
4. Re: Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough Jan 9, 2014, 16:28 saluk

Looking pretty decent so far, definitely a step up from Dreamfall. Going away from the horrible combat engine and returning to more puzzle solving (even if what's been shown so far is really simple) is the right direction to make me happy.  

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
13. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 9, 2014, 05:42 saluk

Good old games is now old enough to be known as Good Old Gog. That is all.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
32. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 02:37 saluk

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
Talisorn wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:52:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:43:
But can they do anything about causing your vision to go all wonky after using it a short while, people report of needing up to a half hour to return to normal after using it a short time.

If you're talking about the feeling ill part, that apparently has to do with the latency between head movement and the image appearing on the screen. Even if you can't consciously perceive the lag, the brain still does unconsciously. The sweet spot is around 30ms. They are aiming from between 15ms and 20ms as the final target.

From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.

The main issue is motion sickness, not visual fatigure, and that comes from slight differences in perceived vs actual motion. The refresh rate issue should help quite a bit, and positional tracking as well. I didn't really NOTICE the motion blur problem, but it might have contributed to the feelings of unease that slowly creep up while the rift is on. And positional tracking will help mostly for those times you lean in to look at something closer. This is such a natural motion that I find myself doing it all the time with the dev kit - which promptly makes me sick because when you lean in the view does not change. Ugh

Once you start feeling like the world is slightly spinning around you, the effect can last for quite a while. My first go I had no issues, but a second attempt left me unable to jack in for at least a day. Even hearing the word Oculus was enough to trigger queasy feelings. I can use it sparingly, but have to make sure to jack out before I start feeling anything abnormal.

Really hoping these updates eliminate the sickness, otherwise it's a no go for me.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jan 7, 2014, 19:39 saluk

I'm only seeing 331... did they pull it because of all the download corruption issues people were having?  

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
29. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:45 saluk

Realistically, there are no upgrades listed I'd feel are worth paying for. Still not cool. It's just a couple of upgraded models and shaders.

If they had been smarter and released consistent upgrades for the game beyond multiplayer, the game would have recouped it's cost a lot better.

News Comments > On Sale (1)
18. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 13:32 saluk

Wow. Last day of the sale means nothing is on sale except for the most popular? I had games in my wishlist I was sitting on I was going to buy if they never got a flash. My loss I guess.  

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
14. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 21:19 saluk

Fletch wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:52:
^lol

And I don't see how improved graphics is an incentive for people to spend another $60 on a game they've already played on PS3, but I guess it does allow new console owners to somewhat rationalize buying the thing. I wish developer mouthpieces would quit including it in their bullet points, though. It's the gameplay, stupid.

My theory is that this is just an excuse to recoup some of the costs on a game that sold *dismally*. I do find it funny how they keep talking this re-release up like it's actually been updated at all, and yet never mention any gameplay enhancements. I'm curious how many actual man-hours went into this port, beyond the typical porting process. My theory - none.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 03:03 saluk

I have to agree. The setting and story don't really support the level or manner of violence, and it weakens the game as a whole because of it. When a game has very clear "bad" guys, who are all out to get you, like The Last of Us (and of course, zombie games tend to be the braindead easiest to make gameplay and story cohesive), killing them is the most obvious, and in most cases, only viable choice.

When placed in an environment like Columbia, a "working" civilization in which we are meant to believe real, living, non zombie, flesh and blood humans grow up and live there, I don't know maybe I'm silly to think this, but the gameplay boiling down to killing every last one of them with nary a decision in the matter at any time (oh I can choose HOW to kill them), just seems wrong somehow.

It walks the line well enough to not actually OFFEND me, or most gamers. But it's certainly a bit off putting for some people. I don't think the author of the article wanted Infinite to be an adventure game exactly, but context matters - and infinite is an example where the context does not give any real weight to the experience.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2013, 14:58 saluk

Not a fan of the metroid prime gam... wtf is wrong with you?

Just joking but those were some sweet games, and nintendo isn't putting anything out for that set. I've managed to stay a fan up until the wii but they just aren't diversifying enough on wii u for me. Hyrule warriors is intriguing, but not really strong enough by itself.

Going to go pop in prime and play it again now

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows
11. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows Dec 18, 2013, 14:46 saluk

Mmm, that final layer of polish. It makes all the difference. Hope it's a thick layer.

Last minute show-stopping bug mayhaps?

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained
15. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained Dec 18, 2013, 14:44 saluk

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 12:01:
Not surprised, South Park humor can be quite tasteless at times. I think the creator of South Park does not grasp the difference between real humor and playing the shock jock.

Why choose one or the other when you can have both?

News Comments > Strife Closed Beta Underway
6. Re: Strife Closed Beta Underway Dec 18, 2013, 14:38 saluk

panbient wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:28:
Anytime I see a headline for this game I keep getting hyped thinking it's a reboot of that old FPS/RPG from the mid-90s. Considering everything else from the era seems to be getting being rebooted...

But no, it's just another MOBA

Same. Decent game that was too.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
81. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 16:46 saluk

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 15:09:
CR even said that in order to not waste money on developing crytek specific code for December, the December release would have likely been single player vs AI.

This is just an announcement for the rest of the world.

-scheherazade

I wouldn't have minded a single-player vs ai, even just a small demo to see some real progress.

"When there's an article about us, there's always one person who's like, 'IT'S A SCAM,'" Roberts told RPS. "[Gradually releasing each part of the game and then combining them into one] is a conscious plan. I mean, I'm building a really big game. If you ask people what they want, they'll tell you they want the best game possible. But if you take a look at Blizzard or Valve or Irrational or Rockstar, those guys all make games people love. But then, people are still asking where Half-Life 3 is. These companies are like, 'It's done when it's done.' When some of the best in the business can't run to some preordained schedule, [it says a lot about how this stuff ends up working out]." - Chris Roberts

This is supposed to fill me with confidence? Valve and their episodic half lifes fall apart; blizzard spends many years working on very underwhelming sequels; irrational spends all of that time after bioshock making a much weaker game... so the punchline is Chris Roberts and his loose association of teams is going to succeed where other gaming giants have failed? I don't get it.

This delay sounds like the right choice, but for me, lack of visible progress when the list of work to do is such a mountain is a bigger fail than a not perfect alpha would be.

"However, as it is the holidays, we’re not about to send you off home without a few treats. There’s going to be an update to the Hangar at the end of the week with some fun new functionality. But better than that the team and I invite you to join us Friday, December 20th to show you some of the dogfighting work that is in progress; you’ll see us fight in a multi person fur ball, and hopefully appreciate some of the detail and care we’re adding to truly push dogfighting in Star Citizen to a level beyond anything achieved yet in a space sim. "

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
49. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 13:19 saluk

The reason we are all so cynical about SC, is we have seen, time and time again, developers with much more convincing pedigrees, promise half of what Star Citizen has, and crash and burn. We've also seen more recently several kickstarter projects who had scope issues at only several orders of magnitude past the original asking price - and SC has gone many millions beyond any of those.

We are laughing not because we expect it to fail, we are laughing because everything is going as expected. This delay is no surprise. We may be smug in our cynicism sometimes, but we've earned it all of the times we've bought into this kind of anticipation.

Nope, Im not going to go "hmm, maybe THIS time they are going to live up to expectations." No way. It will be a damn miracle if SC comes close to meeting expectation. But it's fun to watch from the sidelines Well... kind of the sidelines. I am 60 bucks in so...

News Comments > Morning Previews
31. Re: Morning Previews Dec 17, 2013, 02:04 saluk

The Banner Saga is being horribly misrepresented by that awful RPS write-up as an "onrails rpg". It's a tactics rpg - like fire emblem, fft, etc. They've been around for a while. Unlike xcom, which pairs a strategy game up with a fairly simple simulation, most tactics rpgs do a little bit of on rails story interspersed with the tactical battles. I'm surprised the RPS guys were so unfamiliar (or come across as so ignorant) with the genre.

Personally I'm not thrilled with the combat itself, being at times confused, bored, and irritated with Banner Saga Factions; but it may be a style thing, as other people I've talked to really like the system.

706 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo