Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 726 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video
22. Re: Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video Apr 24, 2014, 18:21 saluk

The stealthy hacking pvp stuff looks like a nice diversion, and reminds me a lot of Dark Souls "you are being invaded" oh know where is this guy coming from! I like seeing those innovations bleed into other games. I am quite distressed that less than a month from release there is next to 0 info about the primary single player gameplay/story.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 24, 2014, 16:33 saluk

Nice to see Exogenesis launch their KS. I've been following them off and on in the Ace Attorney fan community as they've been eliciting feedback on their project and then later the demo. Hope it turns out well.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode Two
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode Two Apr 16, 2014, 21:17 saluk

More goats!!! I remember the annoying goat in the first game hehe.  

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
61. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 18:03 saluk

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 17:30:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:03:
I always find it kind of interesting when people "play games for the story."
Outside of a small handful, almost every game story is pretty weak and poorly presented.

When I'm out just for story, I read, which I probably do as much as game these days. Books, those have stories. Video games? They have ideas that sort of form into a bit of a story.

Story here might as well mean atmosphere. I'm currently playing through Metro 2033 (God save the backlog) and while the shooting, stealth, scavenge gameplay is good, it's really the setting that makes it good. I'm enjoying wandering the mutant infested subway tunnels and sprinting across the toxic wasteland surface. I wouldn't really call that the gameplay because its the narrative adornments that make it fun, not the control implementation.

Sure most games aren't very eloquent but a lot of them do create a living breathing cohesive world that you experience through the story.

Story can also mean MY story. The story of what it's like for me to play the game. Often, the narrative is a part of this, but the interesting thing is not the narrative itself, but how that narrative integrates with the dynamic experience. While the story of The Walking Dead is pretty good, and the choices don't really matter all that much, the way that narrative feels with you directing it - I think it's that experience most people refer to when they say they play for the story.

Even a terrible or simple narrative that can resonate well through the gameplay can be a great experience. See almost every zelda game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
62. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 14:44 saluk

Yay.  

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
20. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 21:55 saluk

Yeah in the case of CCP, I think their best plan for the time being is to stick to the one thing they do well. It's not like their loyal players are going anywhere anytime soon - and eve really needs some love. They don't seem to have the resources or vision to do anything else at the moment, hence this cancellation. Dust didn't do very well either. Their next "non" eve project is Valkyrie, which seems like the kind of small scale offshoot of their bread and butter that could actually be successful.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs "Ultra Specs"
24. Re: Watch Dogs Apr 14, 2014, 18:20 saluk

I hope this can justify my 700$ video card purchase a few weeks ago. No, let's face it, no game can justify spending that much on a video card these days. Maybe in a few years lol.

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 09:24:
I don't have a Titan but I do have a 4770K with a 780 GTX 3GB. Hopefully that'll be enough.

That's pretty much equivalent to a titan I believe.

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
16. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 18:17 saluk

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 13:16:
Dumb idea to begin with. Should have just done a new VtM with multiplayer/co-op first. And if they did a great job with that, then consider the MMO route. Really not surprised they cancelled this. I wonder how much this set them back. Probably a nice chunk of change.

The amount this set them back is impossible to measure. EvE development has suffered from this project ever since it's inception, as it divided the focus of the whole company. Some of the most frivolous eve additions (in-station, clothing for instance) were partly a testbed for vampire tech.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 14:18 saluk

YTF do people preorder games? DS2, ok, that's a given. But watch dogs? It looks amazing, and sounds innovative, but we've seen basically nil as far as the complete picture goes.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
135. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 18:25 saluk

deqer wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 17:02:
panbient wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 16:14:
OMG that helmet animation

It's not even a matter of putting the cart in front of the bull. It's a matter of worrying about the spinners on the wheels on the cart.

The fact that ANY development time went into something like that helmet sequence at this stage in the production does not bode well in my eyes. I don't care what their PR machine says or how many employees they have on staff. That should not have been any sort of priority.

Bring on the burritos!

What's wrong with polishing the game as you develop it? I know typically polishing comes afterwards, but I personally am polishing my own product as I develop it, just so that I don't have to go back to then do polishing because it's already done.

There are so many reasons not to develop this way.

1) When you polish as you go, and then make design changes part way through because the old design that looked good on paper doesn't work in practice, you usually end up throwing a lot of those assets away. If you spent a lot of time on those assets, this is horribly inefficient.
2) Who is to say what is "polished" when you don't have a base to work off of? As further assets down the road become more complete, that original polish effort may actually not look as good as it used to, and need to be updated. I've had this happen many times, making and remaking some element because the rest of the game outpaces the initial polish.
3) Finally, there is scheduling to worry about. There are usually a slew of tasks and assets that have to be finished for the game to be considered complete - and there are usually a bunch of other things that the designer would really like to include if possible. If too much time is spent on those secondary elements, it delays the actual core from being finished. The amount of time to build a project is unknown at the start, and the only way to accurately measure the remaining time accurately is by attempting those big pieces of unknown effort. As you make progress there, the big picture starts to become more clear, and you can be better at prioritizing tasks and managing your resources.

What I think is going on with the helmet, (speculation here obviously) and other aspects of this project, is that there are a bunch of animators and artists who are employed, but the actual code and engine is taking a long time to finish, so they are kind of sitting around with nothing to do. Everyone is blocked on certain aspects of core development, which can only progress so fast. All the rest of the team can do, because there is no clear plan for the future, is polish what already exists. All of the extra bells and whistles that went into the hanger for instance.

This is a really bad way to manage a project. It's why most indie games use a lot of artist contractors, and bigger studios develop multiple projects at once. The code develops at a pretty set rate no matter how many programmers you throw at it, and artists end up being blocked at the beginning of a project. Smaller groups don't blow their art budget at the beginning, they use it later when they have clear milestones and work to be done. And then bigger studios have small teams to jumpstart new games, with the heavy art team filling up the asset-heavy back end of game development.

Doesn't mean the end game is going to suck. Just most likely end up costing 10x what it actually needed to. Which I guess is fine for SC since they keep making money on thin air and dreams. That is, if it can make it to the finish line. Badly managed projects tend to have a way of falling apart.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
49. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 21:29 saluk

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 20:05:
Looks like Alpha footage... oh wait that's exactly what that is.

Not sure why people are bitching about it. Most other games in the past did not show the entire process, but that's becoming more of a thing.

While other games stick with showing footage that is pre-"gone gold" or after beta like Dragon Age 3 or Witcher 3 (as in mostly done).

Woah woah, no one is comparing to dragon age or witcher 3 here. Compared to other in-development projects in the same veign, this little at this point is kind of pathetic. Elite and Limit theory demonstrate much more of their gameplay in their videos, and the little we've seen of no man's sky blows this visually out of the water. Star Citizen predates all three of those.

It's playing catch up, in every respect except for $ raised, which says something I think. I remember how we used to complain about publishers holding games back, being to conservative and limiting what the devs can do. Here we have the premier crowdfunded game, and it's the total opposite problem. Rather than any clear leadership, the project seems to veer to and fro chasing every little thing.

Helmet animation. WTF. That's the kind of feature you implement if you have time, one or two months before launch, in order to put the last bit of polish on the game. It is currently the best looking part of the game. That speaks volumes.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 10, 2014, 04:03 saluk

Unlike the missing plane, this directly affects most of us, and there is actually new information constantly.  

News Comments > Space Noir Trailer
5. Re: Space Noir Trailer Apr 7, 2014, 22:46 saluk

Looks fun enough to me, dunno what y'all are on about.  

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
7. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 5, 2014, 13:40 saluk

Wow that trailer you posted noman... it looks really great.  

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
2. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 4, 2014, 20:29 saluk

Excite! I hope it turns out well. Still have a soft spot for this series.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 4, 2014, 14:13 saluk

I saw the RSA article on hacker news. What the commenters there were saying was, the potential exploit is not in very much actual live code, as the RSA implementers at the time thought the stuff that was being added (the extended random) was a bad idea. It's also not clear whether it was an intentional backdoor or just a flaw; as there wasn't a consensus in the community about the implementation - at the time.

Snowden's leak did show that later on down the pipe, the NSA worked on exploiting that back door, once they had convinced everyone to give them control of the standard. Never give the keys to the castle to one entity.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 14:04 saluk

Never cared for Letterman myself. Jay wasn't much better, but I could actually watch him.

But what a legacy. It's hard to imagine no Letterman show.

News Comments > No Watch Dogs Demo
18. Re: No Watch Dogs Demo Apr 1, 2014, 01:57 saluk

BIG NEWS SCOOP WOW!

Seriously, so few games get demos these days. Demos are often a poor representation of a game anyway. I would rather the devs work on real content (main game or dlc I dont care which) than something that serves very little purpose in todays world. This really doesn't seem like the kind of game that would benefit from a demo anyway. The appeal is the whole world and all the interactions you can have there. Being able to try a couple powers in a locked away corner of the city? Ridiculous.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2014, 20:52 saluk

Completely fair and understandable under current laws, and technical considerations of the system. Does not affect my dropbox usage in any way. As always, don't upload extra sensitive info to a system not under under your express control without encrypting them. Even if the current organization claims to do no evil, future iterations of that organization might claim that was never a real company motto.

Also, they aren't exactly "scanning" your files for copyrighted info (it's not like youtube that actually looks at, for instance, the sound data in the background of a video file) - only comparing a hash against files which were previously taken down. Essentially, if someone gets a takedown notice for a link that they shared, and you try to share the (exact) same file, it wont let you.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
36. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 18:11 saluk

Well, this is interesting. Valve's vr was a step up from oculus and sony's output. Now that Oculus has the money from FB to buy some more talent from valve, they can really work together to solve these problems. I don't like facebook, I don't like donating to a sellout, and I don't like to see a company that could have been the NEXT facebook just be... facebook.

But ultimately if we get good vr on the end of it that's the important thing.

726 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo