Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
12. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 17:34 saluk

It does make a certain kind of sense to publish former THQ IP under the same name.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
25. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 03:37 saluk

Deciding to end stretch goals - smart. Putting that decision up to a vote - signifies everything wrong with how this project is being run.

No one is steering the ship.

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
15. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 13, 2014, 03:28 saluk

Same. Horror = ugh. Not quite horror, but I recently played this time travel demo where one of the scenarios puts you in a flat in 1941 right before the planes fly over london. Really basic graphics and sounds, but it was enough to cause a real reaction in me enough that I had to take off the headset.

With great power comes great responsibility devs.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details
27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 15:22 saluk

harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:41:
This game is going to run very poorly on PC, just like GTA IV did when it came out. I still remember tweaking GTA IV for days on end and I had a pretty beastly machine at the time. It took a few more generations of hardware to max it out at relatively high and consistent FPS. It will look amazing, but I bet it will be at very low FPS. It runs pretty good on an old xbox 360, but that's with most of the graphics options toned down. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing for such an old console. In a few years, we'll be able to run it on max settings but I doubt that many people will be able to at launch.

for some reason i get the feeling rockstar wont be repeating that mistake

it could just be wishful thinking, but i dont know.. gotta keep in mind this gen consoles are almost exactly the same as gaming pc architecture, unlike last gen

it would be nice to see some footage of it running on pc tho

Yeah I really doubt it will be as bad as IV. Modern PCs run IV just fine, and I don't see V as pushing the tech that much more that it would be a problem. It's also a different era of console-pc ports, most companies have gotten a lot better at it since then.

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
53. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:13 saluk

"We have decided not to implement a female assassin in our game out of historical relevance and to fit the story we are telling."

Fine by me.

"We have decided that recreating revolutionary paris with a 1:1 scale of notre dame is definitely feasable for our next title. We thought about adding female assassin's, but... it sounds hard to do."

WHAT. THE. FLYING. I'm not a person who swears. BUT FUCK.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Co-op Support
16. Re: Far Cry 4 Co-op Support Jun 11, 2014, 07:08 saluk

OpticNerve wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 04:23:
I hope FC4's co-op isn't like Assassin's Creed 5's bullshit co-op missions crap. It's really grating how they'll now use "co-op" as a feature bulletpoint when it's essentially tacked on separate co-op missions.

Makes sense for AC. Missions should be designed with co-op in mind, and it's unreasonable to expect a full campaign that works equally well with sp and co-op in a game of that nature. Especially with the hack designers behind it

Here... I think they could have done better, but I'll take it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jun 11, 2014, 07:00 saluk

They have plenty of programmers already. Between Carmack and Abrash they have the top names in VR. As long as they don't just hire names without a plan for growth, people like Rubin are who they need to spin up some 1st party development teams; which by all indications is the direction they are going.

Oculus consumer is going to launch with in-house software available.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 and New BioWare IP Teased
6. Re: Mass Effect 4 and New BioWare IP Teased Jun 10, 2014, 00:00 saluk

descender wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 23:11:
Maybe they can DLC in some gameplay this time?

ME2/3 combat was snooooze-worthy to say the least.

Bingo. And 3 didn't even have a good enough story to make up for it. ME1 was almost great, and I so hoped it would be a springboard to a great series. Bleh.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers Jun 9, 2014, 23:57 saluk

I'm close to burnout, still haven't finished black flag. The graphics and setting I really can get behind, what I really want to see though is more innovation in the core gameplay. Some of this looks pretty similar, although there are some hints at improvements. Multiple factions, more variations on how to accomplish missions, more interiors... My biggest issue with the AC games are the mission design. It's always so restrictive and linear, they are at odds with the rest of the game. If they can relax this somewhat, I'll buy one more AC game. I love the setting and the story. If it's the same boxed in design I'm not so sure.  

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Trailers
3. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Trailers Jun 9, 2014, 23:46 saluk

One of the best trailers. I agree Cutter, why is the second group the people we are supposed to root for? Isn't everyone just trying to survive? I hope they play with that more in the real thing.

Also agree on more gameplay footage. Trailers are cool, but they don't tell you anything.

News Comments > Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs
14. Re: Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs Jun 8, 2014, 22:28 saluk

Making money off of someone elses IP is always a grey area. The way I see it, it's kind of been soft frowned upon but not enforced until now - and the reason it needs to be enforced now is because of the servers that have taken the exploits to insane levels. Just another case of bad actors ruining it for everyone.

BTW there are many rights and extra multiplayer features that can be sold in a game like this. Build rights, communication rights, zoning rights. You can restrict the world and charge to unlock those restrictions at least as much as the real world has been.

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
10. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 6, 2014, 19:07 saluk

Various games have been called football throughout the centuries - and few of them are exactly either what is known as soccer in the US and Canada, or what is known as football in the US. There isn't a clear winner for me. Soccer is a weird name, but though it can make some people mad/annoyed it's a lot less confusing.  

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
6. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 6, 2014, 17:04 saluk

Next-gen already? So we are going to be hearing about ps5 and xbox, um, two; at e3 this year? Awesome.  

News Comments > GOG.com Announces Optional Client
7. Re: GOG.com Announces Optional Client Jun 5, 2014, 17:06 saluk

Great (if obvious) move by GoG. I appreciate what they are trying to do. I'm not sure what crossplay means exactly... I'm assuming it means the multiplayer will be set up in such a way that when you buy a game from the humble store it will still be able to connect.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 5, 2014, 02:47 saluk

Personally I'm most worried about the massive growth and whether they can keep going in the right direction with so many people used to steering the ship. But I'd imagine VR is so fun to work on that there is a lot of internal excitement and energy that can keep them moving.

Krovven wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 01:48:
I find it interesting that all these big names are joining OVR, the value of the company and the product etc, etc....because I don't give a rats ass about VR headsets and I personally don't know anyone that cares either.

Nice anecdotal evidence there. For a counter point, my kit has been a hit at parties and with everyone I've demoed it to; and provided a lot of interesting discussion at work as we noodle about ways it could be used and what we are looking forward to. So, eh. We'll see. Can't wait to try my crystal cove.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
57. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 14:06 saluk

Glad to see this out.

Ok, if they only allow you to test ships you own even in beta, this is still kind of a scam. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and a terrible way to run an alpha. They are prioritizing their income at this moment versus the quality of the final product and their income when it is completed.

News Comments > NVIDIA Enhancing Ubisoft PC Games
4. Re: NVIDIA Enhancing Ubisoft PC Games Jun 4, 2014, 13:53 saluk

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 13:45:
Why? Because ATI is kicking Nvidia's ass? That ATI drivers suck cliche ended a decade ago. And seeing as Ubisoft is developing for the new consoles they're developing for ATI natively from the start. Porting that to the PC means ATI users already have the advantage. But hey if you want to pay twice as much for a video card just because of a name it's your money to waste.

Um, no. Because what happened to Watch Dogs is going to happen to future ubisoft titles. Because they are partnering with nvidia and optimizing for nvidia on pc and passing buggy ati builds out to the public so that ati gets a bad name. Has nothing to do with ati drivers or console porting and everything to do with politics and backroom deals.

News Comments > Watch Dogs PC Performance Patch Plans
22. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 14:30 saluk

Bundy wrote on May 30, 2014, 14:11:
That was my buddy's reaction too when I told him. He thinks the MP is great fun. I just want to play the story, and whenever I went to the next mission point and got a "denied" message b/c some tard hacked me I would give a sigh just tried to get the whole thing over with. Once I realized I could turn off the entire feature I was happy. To each his own I guess.

I can see that. The story kind of bores me so far so I am usually just faffing about when I get the invasion notice and I'm like "oh it's ON". The invasions are kind of ripped off from Dark Souls, but there I always felt kinda trolled, and tended to keep the feature off as much as possible (never being human). I had the same feeling of being interrupted there that you do here. So yeah, to each his own

News Comments > Watch Dogs PC Performance Patch Plans
17. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 13:06 saluk

Bundy wrote on May 30, 2014, 09:50:
I've had no performance issues with this one, put everything at Ultra and am using Temporal SMAA, whatever that means. But it's probably the best looking game I've ever played. Have a 780GTX though.

The driving is impossible without running into every other thing down the street. I keep my X360 controller right there just for the driving, and it helps somewhat. With keyboard and mouse I can't even go to the next mission checkpoint without running down 3 or 4 pedestrians.

My biggest gripe is the MP. The tailing and hacking game. I hate it. Thank god you can turn it off. Last time I tried it I managed to hack the guy up to 96%, before he saw me and shot me. Then I lost points. So the whole ordeal, the rather good hiding job I did turned out to be a waste of time that cost me in the end. And the last guy that was tailing me made no attempt to hide. He sat in the fanciest sports car, started the hack, and when I spotted him, bolted off at the speed of light. I had no chance to catch him. He just hit the freeway and poof, was gone. He gained points.

I've gotten used to the driving. It's not great, but better than sleeping dogs for me.

Wow, I LOVE the MP. Some of the funnest MP moments I've had in a long time. The tailing is probably the best one. I think it's my favorite thing to do in the game.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 30, 2014, 01:07 saluk

Aero wrote on May 29, 2014, 21:12:
For my simming needs, a 40+ inch curved, high resolution OLED monitor would be absolutely brilliant. Of course, they said with virtual certainty we were going to have those 5 years ago too.

Re teleporting data: I think that article may be misleading, I'm hardly an expert in the field, but I believe there exists a proof that quantum entanglement *cannnot* be used to actually send information. The (poorly explained, probably incorrectly simplified) gist of it being: you have one half of an entangled pair, and you examine it and say "aha, it's spin up" and therefore you know, instantaneously, your buddies particle five light years away is spin down. That's amazing and all, but it's just the knowledge of what the particle five light years away is doing that has travelled instantaneously, which which really is a transfer of zero information in the technical sense of 'information.' You would have to be able to force the states of the particle pair in order to actually transmit information. Not that it isn't useful as is. I understand the phenomena is even used today in cryptography, but all it can tell you is whether or not your message has been observed in transit (and there are even questions about that).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The information I'm basing this claim on is over 20 years old.

edit: Oh, and I should probably add for the sake of the pedants that I understand it's not just like pulling billiard balls out of a sack blindfolded, but that the particle doesn't collapse into a spin up or spin down state until it's looked at, but this doesn't affect the principle.

Yeah I'm no expert here either, but in my understanding once you try to actually change the bits (er spin, qubits whatever), you would break the entanglement and then where are you? Still, proving entaglement reliably hasn't really been done. So props to them - if this experiment can truly be verified.

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo