Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 711 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
24. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 02:43 saluk

I just love some of the cynicism in here. This release is freaking sweet! It comes close to meeting almost all of the complaints I had for the old storefront. I love that I can hide any game! There are still some niggles. I would like to not be reshown games that are already on my wishlist (but at least it tells me that it's on my wishlist), and hiding a game does not actually hide it from a lot of areas. I do hope we don't have to wait 5 years for updates to THIS layout.

But it's clear a lot of effort went into this, and it's about time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
35. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 23:29 saluk

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 17:32:
Project management is easy if you're organized and know what you're doing. And most developers don't. How hard is it to compartmentalize a project?

Base Project = X number of employees + X number of days + X number of dollars.

Stretch goals = See above. Stretch goals commence and are completed after base project is finished and good.

Of course you have to actually have a defined goal to work toward, otherwise you're just screwing around wasting time and money. Quit screwing around! You kids screw around too much!

Where is your game development studio? I'm sorry, but some types of projects are easy to do project development, and other types are hard. Most engineering oriented projects are hard. The schedule at work scares me, and I'm just glad I'm not the guy who spends at least 20 hours a week organizing all of that stuff after every sprint to see if where we really are is where we meant to be. (And the other 30-40 hours calling people and pushing people to make sure everyone is going in the right direction throughout the week!) And at least at my job we are completely business focused and there is no artistic junk messing things up. We stay relatively on schedule - but stuff slips, goals change, people get sick at the absolutely worst time, and bugs make it through QA and hit customers. If it was so easy, there would be way less blunders and missed dates in the industry.

All of that said... DF is being pretty shitty for throwing SB under the bus like this. The LEAST they can do is release the source - but I think most of us expect a lot better. How complete/good the project is... that's kinda not the issue. I mean, no matter how much money/time/effort is thrown at a project is not what defines if it turns out to be a GOOD game.

This is the first systems oriented game the studio has made, and those are harder than they seem. If the foundations are not strong, throwing more time and effort at it wont necessarily turn it around. But the attitude... Doublefine has run into this time and time again - they come across as double-faced the way they always try to sugar coat everything. Going back to splitting up broken age. Every time they mess up, they act like it's the best thing ever.

News Comments > Road Redemption Early Access
5. Re: Road Redemption Early Access Sep 19, 2014, 00:54 saluk

I was actually quite impressed with the early alpha of this. Definitely got a bit of that road rash vibe, and the raining killer cars level is hilarious. Most of this trailer is actually new so that's encouraging.  

News Comments > Bejeweled 3 Free on Origin
12. Re: Bejeweled 3 Free on Origin Sep 17, 2014, 19:48 saluk

Woohoo! This is what I'm talking about!  

News Comments > Borderlands Replaces GameSpy With Steamworks
3. Re: Borderlands Replaces GameSpy With Steamworks Sep 16, 2014, 14:55 saluk

About time! Finally finished the game with my friend and we started working dlc. Yeah, it seemed to reset the graphics settings etc, and reactivate dlc, but at least it kept the saves. I would have had a fit if those had been wiped out.  

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
80. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 16:37 saluk

How in the hell do they plan to make this move profitable in 1 year? I'm actually impressed by the audacity. Not impressed enough to believe that that will actually happen, but impressed all the same.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
49. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 15:16 saluk

Wohoo. The consoles get two separate releases of the game before they deign to let the pc have it. Well, this helps my pc game window this season look a bit easier to plan!

This release window is basically the difference between me purchasing AC Unity or not. Now I will.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer Sep 6, 2014, 11:29 saluk

You people are weird. I loooove playing borderlands... with my friends. By myself I am bored stiff.  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 19:34 saluk

I've seen this "Well ED is a smaller game so of course they are further along" bunk before. The huge problem I have with that is that what is striking about comparing the two projects is the disparity in their milestones - not in some mythical end product. At each step of development comparatively, ED appears to make a lot more progress than SC. And with each milestone, the visible progress on SC seems to be moving slower and slower.

This article is pretty trollish, but they are right that as long as people keep donating to the project, they are actually incentivized to NOT release anything or make more progress. If new fish in the aquarium adds 2 mil to the bank account, why work on anything harder than a new goldfish?

I backed SC and not ED, and I love the wing commander series, freelancer etc; and never got into the elite series. But the SC team has jerked me around so much I really lack any trust or faith in it at all, and I'm surprised so many people still do.

News Comments > Op Ed
114. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 18:29 saluk

There has been some crazy stuff going on in gaming for a while now. But This Anita person is so harmless. I don't understand all the hate being directed at her. Her points so often don't connect or have missing gaps, and when they do connect the intent or the desired result is still really fuzzy. I think part of it is this issue has been trumped up so many times that a lot of people are sick of hearing about it. I certainly am. But I don't think most gamers - even the awful jerkfaces who spew hate at people like Anita - would even care if a lot of the misogyny that bothers her and her cohorts were to be improved. Not that I'm sure they would notice.

There are just no good sides here. No one seems to be working to solve any of the problems or try to get along. From the media, to the developers, to critics, it's just shining a big light on a lot of dark things and bringing out the crazies.

News Comments > GOG.com Revamped
2. Re: GOG.com Revamped Aug 27, 2014, 21:08 saluk

Arg! I have to reverse engineer the site for my game backlog software again! Took so much effort to do the first time around.  

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
20. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 18:30 saluk

Pretty sure they misjudged the demand here. I care a tiny bit about drm free movies. Back when you had to hack a dvd to play it on linux I cared a bit more. I hate what the drm does to the hardware of the film landscape a lot more than from the software side.

On the other hand, I've mostly given into the subscription model for movies+tv. Just out of convenience. I don't really care to own it. I've already watched a lot of these on netflix. I can see very few movies that I would want to own this way, but the prices aren't bad in general, pretty comparable to other digital film purchases.

But it just seems like a bad fit all around.

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
38. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 19:16 saluk

Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 16:24:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:22:
I would have thought Minecraft isn't very suited to the Rift. I wouldn't want to spend an entire evening wearing the DK1's headset in one go and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

I've been watching Minecraft vids on Google Cardboard to get an idea of what it would be like, and it's totally awesome. You get completely immersed in the world. MC is one of the best uses of VR due to the wide variety of object distance, providing a sense of scale and depth lacking on a flat screen. Standing on the edge of a cliff is both breathtaking and induces a sense of vertigo. Caves intimidate extending down into the dark distance. Trees reach into the sky. It's easy to assess the distance of approaching mobs. The only OR game movie I've seen that is similar is Skyrim.

I can see that it would be very suited for a while but I don't think existing VR tech is ready for someone to spend 3, 4, 10+ hours with in one go. I have the DK1 and it's not comfortable enough for this. I expect CV1 will be lighter and CV2 (or whatever version the second major revision will be) to be a big improvement as they hone the hardware and supply lines but not enough I guess.

Comfort is probably VR's biggest hurdle at this point. Something like those Oakley MP3 player sunglasses should be the aim but we're quite some way away from that.

Edit: This is oddly similar to what Cutter said, despite me predicting Rift would succeed and Cutter predicting it would fail

10+? The amount of gaming population that needs/wants to spend 10+ hours in one go on a gaming session is tiny. Much smaller than the vr market I'd imagine. The average I'd imagine is somewhere around 3, perhaps skewing higher for certain game types like mmo or moba. If that 2-3 hour experience of vr is substantially better/different than 2-3 hours on more comfortable gaming devices, it can still carve out a sizable niche.

If you can't play more than 10 minutes without barfing, and that's the average for most folks, there will be issues. And barfing. I skipped the DK2 until I can try it because I fell into the unfortunate bucket of not being able to overcome vr sickness on DK1.

I always thought notches outburst in the first place was a bit silly, since the minecrift mod even at that time was already working great for most people. An "official" rift component to minecraft will be nice for people but it's not that substantial. So far facebook-owned oculus doesn't feel different to me than before, it still remains to be seen if that was a good or bad move.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
24. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 16:14 saluk

Money well spent!

Eh, just like 2001, the opening is cool and it's kinda downhill from there.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
8. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support Aug 16, 2014, 16:10 saluk

WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:35:
Hard to believe that anyone alive hasn't already updated to 8.1...;) This reminds me of Win7 and service packs--all the numbskulls who refused to go to SVC pck 1 & so forth, because of some obscure principle that made sense to precisely two people (usually people who objected to the idea of paying for their OS, etc.)...!

This is really old news (60 days +) as we are now on 14.7RC3 beta and the decision to drop 8.0 wddm 1.2 support (because wddm 1.3 is better) began two months ago, with the 14.6 betas.

Partly, this silliness is Microsoft's fault, too--since it should have called 8.1 "service pack 1" in the established Windows tradition of service packs--because that is exactly what 8.1 is. This is what happens when marketing people are put in charge of naming technical products--rarely does anything make any sense until you get past the silly marketing.

Like, there are going to be no more "patch Tuesdays" at Microsoft because some marketing hillbilly decided that "update Tuesday" sounds better--so we're getting "update Tuesdays", instead. Predictably, some dumb people are running around screaming "No more patching from Microsoft!" If there's a way to break something that is already fixed, it will be a marketeer who will do it.

I haven't upgraded because the 2 times I have tried have left my system unbootable. 8.1 was rushed. I've never had as much trouble or gone through as many hoops trying to upgrade as I have with 8.1 - and that includes upgrading vista to windows 7 and upgrading windows 7 to 8 (on another machine).

So the "silliness" as you say isn't just partly on microsoft's fault. I lay all the blame there.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
29. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 14:41 saluk

Kinda big for it not to be on pc, although some of the TR games in the past took some time before being released there. Bigger is for it not to be on sony. Ouch. First time in 20 years. Most long term TR fans grew up on sony, and many of them are probably still there. Way to stick it to the people who built your company.  

News Comments > Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars
8. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 14:36 saluk

This is absolutely the best way to handle a brand relaunch. Find current developers who would be a good fit to work with the ip. We've already had decent to great continuations/remakes of many of the sierra ip in the nebulous legal world of fan sequels. Continue the brand keeping some of the spirit of the old alive - rather than trying to get the band back together to try and make games the same way they did 30 years ago.  

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
25. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:17 saluk

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 14:40:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 13:08:
The adventure genre died for me many years ago. Just haven't found it interesting at all. I've played the emulators of Kings Quest and Space Quest, and while fun, they didn't hold me for very long. When those games came out, though, I played them all day long. And I also sent letters to Sierra asking which language to learn so I could someday work for them.

What I want to see, is a return to the adventure genre, but with the Rift. If there's one area where the Rift really shines, it's adventure games. Moving slowly through a world, finding stuff, exploring. Dear Esther worked really well with it. Games that are thick with atmosphere work well. And who better to bring us adventure games than Sierra?

Not that I'm expecting much.

Did they respond regarding the language?

Agreed regarding the Rift, I feel like it would be better suited to a first person view adventure than a shooter, where your gun always faces the middle of your POV.

The best rift experiences available definitely are slower moving more thoughtful ones, usually with atmospheric environments and a chance to actually look around at them. I really liked this "Rear Window" style game last year where you are spying on your neighbors.

All the fast paced stuff makes me puke.

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
19. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 02:20 saluk

Mistakes as bad as ME3 are on everyone. Nice to have a scapegoat I guess.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
31. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 17:58 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 10:26:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 10:19:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 10:08:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 09:43:
I kind of lost interest in this project and the amount of money it collected.
It is awesome to show off the power of PC gamers when it comes to funding to shove it in the console companies face, but at the same time I really wish he would focus on making the game instead of all the other crap he does, like those web tv things and commercials and new ship designs etc.
Sure the new ships are awesome but until you have a game to play those in it is kinda ass backwards to work on those imo.
Just like you have to build a house from the foundation up not from the roof down.

Hmm. When you make a game, a lot of things are being made a the same time. They don't just make a single ship and then move on to creating gameplay... Everything happens at the same time. As for the movies and stuff, that's a completely different source of funding. It's being funded by the subscribers who shell some money each month.
I guess it wasn't obvious from my comment.
I was talking about time management, and effort being put into the game itself rather than the fluff.
They don't even know if the CryEngine will be able to handle all the shit they want to pour into this game but hey they have 2 gazillion space ships designed and modeled already.
Sure design some ships say 5-6 or whatever but have a stable base game running before add more stuff into it.
These guys go the opposite direction. They have a working toilet and doorknob in your space ship but will the CryEngine handle the scale of this game? Who cares. Let's make another pretty commercial movie for a new ship.

Ok. Well, the modelers aren't going to just stand there and do nothing all day. I'm guessing that making the ships that people paid for is a good investment of their time. Making the engine work is more of the work of programmers. I wouldn't worry about the Cryengine being able to handle it. That's why you hire programmers, so that they can do their job and develop things so that they work...

Like I said, the commercials are a side thing that don't drain resources from the main game. I mean it's a video, not 3d modeling or programming.

To reiterate, they aren't only working on doorknobs, it's just that that's easy to do and show right now.

This is why most games have a ramp-up phase with smaller teams focusing on core features, and then build out the art team when there stuff is actually needed. Rather than getting a bunch of artists together to do work(tm) and gobble up money for ages, when no one is sure how exactly that art is going to fit into the bigger picture yet.

This whole thing is upside down, and every press release and bit of information that comes out of the project just makes that more clear.

711 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo