Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 768 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
19. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 15:18 saluk

Haha it's not going to hit steam. EA games have been gone from steam since dragon age 2 (which isn't there either fyi)

I picked up DA2 for 10$ during one of the origin sales, but I don't know how much DAI will be discounted. I think last year I snagged ME3 for about a tenner too, so who knows. I've taken the other approach of making sure someone buys DA:I for me for christmas, since it's one of the few games I want that is actually available in hard copy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
129. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 20:39 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:54:
Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:30:
just watched the trailer.

Any culture that allows that to be made and published is destined for pain. It is also a complete travesty that there are so many people excited about playing this garbage.

Who will be responsible when someone gets inspired and acts this out in a community or school? Because it will happen. The more we normalize violence like this the more these kinds of choices will have a lasting and horrific effect on our culture and youth.

People can cry freedom all they want. There is no escape from the outcomes of choices we make that affect our minds as a people.

That is utter complete bullshit, any medium with the goal to be art has the right to offend you so badly that you run crying out of the digital room. And it should.

Fucks sake... literature that offends you shouldn't exist? Movies that offend you shouldn't exist? Games that offend you shouldn't exist? When will people like you learn that the first and highest goal of any artwork is to inspire emotions. It does not define what emotions, inspiring ANY emotion is what puts ART above TRASH

I don't want to live in a world filled with trash, rather I want to have access to media that insults me, that shocks me, that makes me think, that stirs my emotions and inspires me to be a better person than be peddled the same mindless dumbed down shit you seem to love.

Any form of art has a right to exist. To deny it's existence is akin to censorship of the purest and most evil kind. That of thoughts.

Do we have to include all of the "trash" alongside peggle and the like? Though that is probably a flaw in the steam storefront more than anything else. Appealing to art always leaves me a bit cold. Not every art gallery shows the same pieces. The gallery itself tends to collect like-minded art together in groups, and the person who wants to avoid offense will usually be warned if a showing has very graphic, controversial, or offensive works.

Moreover, if art can have real power or impact, than surely it can affect a persons actions. You cannot say both "a game cannot incite a person to commit a crime" and "a game is an art form that can evoke an emotional response in a person. I would never argue that a single game is going to turn a good kid into a mass murderer - but a culture of violence that is then reflected in what people find "fun" is a culture that I see continuing to encourage and produce malcontents. It's a wide ranging issue with many variables and we can never hope to make people not be violent, lol. And I've played some depraved games in my time and enjoyed them, especially as an angsty teen.

But I take issue with the idea that it's "just a game". And I take issue with the idea that valve pretends to both have control over their store and then tries to say it's a free place. Indie developers have to fight tooth and nail to get their games listed. Some really idiotic murder simulator comes along, valve pretends to play the storefront card; but oh no, it's probably going to make money and hurt their bottom line. So then they pretend its an open market.

I would much rather the market were actually open. Let's get those hentai games on steam!

In other news, Sony has pulled the Interview from theaters because of hackers and bomb threats. Another case of a stupid movie whose sole purpose is to rile people up. If that is your purpose, do not be surprised when it works!

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
76. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 14:07 saluk

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:44:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:59:
Good decision. You may not like the game, but freedom of speech should prevail.

What freedom of speech? In the US you have protected speech. That is not carte blanche to say or do anything you like. Same as every other civilized nation. We have limits precisely for these reasons. Reasons because people like you who don't understand what's reasonable and what's offensive to the majority.

So we should all be completely free, right? Free to rape kids, commit mass murder, acts of terror, etc. That's what you're arguing for? Really? Because it's an all or nothing deal. So which way should we go here?

Totally agree. Those who argue on principles alone are missing half the picture. You either have complete anarchy, or you have laws. The debate should be about where the boundaries are, not whether there should be any boundaries at all. The forum rules on bluesnews prohibits ethnic slurs and homphobic language. Personally I find this game to be in poor enough taste that I find it on that level, just in the violence aspect rather than racism or discrimination. We have to face the news of violent mass killings often enough IRL that I don't care to see it when I am browsing through the store looking for something to take my mind off of how horrid the real world can be.

In this case, steam is within their rights to allow the game. They were also within their rights to pull it. The best thing valve could have done is let the game languish in greenlight like so many other games they don't publish, though most of those don't have votes. But this whole "hey, we allow anyone to do anything" is totally disingenuous.

Can't wait to see Super Columbine Massacre on steam! And even that game at least was trying (poorly) to say something.

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
31. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 00:04 saluk

If you are outraged that valve made this decision, I hope you are prepared to be outraged for any other game valve decides to take out of the store. So go join the crusade to get The War Z put back.  

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
35. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 19:58 saluk

Yeah it's just updated Games app. Nothing to see here. Even the current games app has a lot of xbox branding on it.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released
10. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released Dec 12, 2014, 01:50 saluk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 01:11:
Also, I've been reading Josh's logs for the past few weeks, and he might be coming apart at the seams a bit. I just hope he holds it together until it ships.

AI development does that to ya, trust me. It's a never ending pit of never ending pits.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 03:29 saluk

I agree with Cutter. That was pretty bad.  

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
44. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 14:19 saluk

Not to mention, this is a really good move to favor the early access peeps after screwing them out of no offline mode and poor refund policy :/ If it hurts their launch sales so be it.  

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
43. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 14:13 saluk

This really isn't that big of a deal. This is a game that's fun to hop in a spaceship and mess around for a couple hours and then log off. There are people into the grind, but there isn't that much they will do to mess you up, and it doesn't matter that there are people out there who are bigger than you. Space is huge.

Also, the dynamic plotline (which who knows how well that's going to work or if it will really have an impact in the game at all) is NOT starting until the launch. So everyone will be experiencing that at from the same starting point.

I played toward the end of the beta, where everyone had had months to level up and I was just a newb; and I've played in gamma which started with a wipe. I notice very little difference in either. I rarely see another player in either setting. Which is it's own kind of problem

ED is a good game. It's just not the second coming people thought it was going to be. All this drama is really overblown. Unlike star citizen, it hasn't even been ridiculously overhyped, so I'm not sure why smh.

News Comments > inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren
14. Re: inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren Dec 8, 2014, 16:14 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:01:
ok.. but Meantime? I doubt anyone asked them to do that.. because I doubt anyone even knew that "idea" (not even a game)

And? Is it wrong for a company to take an old idea that was never published and see if they can do something cool with it? I'm all for time traveling rpgs, if that's what it is.

Here in this thread we have people complaining that 1) oh god enough with the post apocalyptic games, and 2) oh god a game based on something I've never heard of.

I just find that kind of amusing

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
25. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 3, 2014, 19:16 saluk

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 20:54:
Strange how Activision gets accused of milking Call of Duty with one yearly release, and yet UbiSoft can release two Assassin's Creed games on the same day and hardly anyone seems to care.

Are you for real? Tons of people complain and/or make fun of this. There is almost as much contempt for ubisoft and annualized AC as there is for CoD. It's a lot worse for CoD in my opinion, because with the multiplayer focus it's almost a forced upgrade. When the community moves on, the old game is now worthless.

News Comments > The Crew Launch Trailer
5. Re: Looking forward to this Dec 2, 2014, 04:32 saluk

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 23:01:
Unless they made some serious changes to handling (all versions) it will be AC Unity part 2. And the embargo doesn't give me much hope.

I'm not a huge racing game buff. I enjoy them but I'm bad enough that in every game I have trouble steering for the first few hours, and don't really internalize the handling at all. Played the beta and got used to it, about the same as other games. I hear these complaints all the time for various games, and I'm just curious what was wrong with the handling in the crew?

News Comments > The Witcher Adventure Game Released
3. Re: The Witcher Adventure Game Released Nov 28, 2014, 04:24 saluk

Very random games with limited player interaction are OK at times, but less so in digital form I think.  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
24. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 25, 2014, 17:34 saluk

There sure are a lot of good reviews at the steam page, so someone likes it.

Meh, my days of hoping for the mmo I have always had in my head are long gone.

News Comments > Irrational is Hiring
6. Re: Irrational is Hiring Nov 24, 2014, 13:52 saluk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 09:50:
As I understood it, Irrational wasn't closing, they were just scaling back to a much smaller team and dropping their focus on AAA titles. I think Levine said he was keeping like a dozen senior people. Not surprised to see them hiring a little bit to fill in those voids.

Yeah this. Typical reshuffling after big release that every studio does. You either are like EA/ubi where you can move people around to the many projects in the pipe, or you are a one-game-at-a-time studio and you expand and shrink.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed
26. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 19:19 saluk

"... They outline a detailed limb-damage system which tracks four different damage levels for ten different limbs, explaining the visual and gameplay impact of injuries ..."

Of course they do. Of course they do.

Every bullet point on this game reads like a 10 year old going "oh and my game that I make will have this, and it will have this!" Well what about the other thing? "Oh, right. It will ALSO have the other thing!"

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
12. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 21:21 saluk

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 19:43:
These numbers seem odd. If they had 7.4 million subscribers recently, 3.3 million people bought Draenor, and now they passed 10 million subscribers, in essence they're saying that the large majority of people who bought Draenor were no longer subscribing, and only a small portion of the existing subscriber base bought it?

Hmm. A bunch of people probably reupped in anticipation of the expansion in the last couple months since that report.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans
22. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans Nov 19, 2014, 19:37 saluk

"regardless of the scope and size of a game, it shouldn't run like shit"

Well, that's kind of BS. Bigger, more advanced games the stretch the limits are going to run worse. Unity should have been delayed, but it is technically impressive and a much more difficult game to run. Crowds like this have never been seen before, and I'm guessing they rely on pretty advanced parallelism to make it work - one of the hardest kinds of programming to optimize.

All blame for this falls on the execs who had to rush the game out for this year. They should have done Rogue only as an interim game for all consoles and made Unity next years game. Two releases in a year was a shitty arbitrary money grab, and I'm guessing most of the dev staff has known it was going to have problems.

Runs great for me, looks amazing, and is really fun lol. Finally justifies the 780ti I picked up earlier this year. But I admit I'm a fanboy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 15:19 saluk

I support an artist not being happy with a business arrangement, but Swift's diatribe really rubs me the wrong way. It sounds like the kind of thing an RIAA exec would have written in the 90's.

I do think spotify should have a few more controls for artists though. Similar to how steam lets developers choose what price their game is going to be sold their for, I think streaming services (video and audio) are leaning a little too far away from creatives control with the all you can eat model.

News Comments > The Crew Trailer
4. Re: The Crew Trailer Nov 13, 2014, 19:36 saluk

Haha I wonder how much the Unity fail will hurt sales of Crew and FC4. Ironically, with less advanced tech, and the numerous beta periods, The Crew should fare pretty well bug wise. There isn't a whole lot of there there.  

768 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo