Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 840 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. May 26, 2015, 18:25 saluk

"Refuse" has a much stronger connotation than a simple "no". Connotation is important.

GoG is a heavily curated store, they "refuse" to publish many games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 15:40 saluk

Leper wrote on May 25, 2015, 11:46:
so considering they don't even have rebindable keys on PC

That's included in today's patch, although I'd never play it with a mouse keyboard. I prefer to sit back and play it on the big screen with a controller. You don't really need the high precision that a mouse gives you in W3.

Combat and roaming are better with a controller, but mouse is much preferable for inventory management. And I must say, the menus are pretty good for a game like this. Clean, but not hiding everything away either.

News Comments > Desura Explains Missed Payments
13. Re: Desura Explains Missed Payments May 24, 2015, 12:07 saluk

shihonage wrote on May 22, 2015, 17:19:
On Desura, you can just PUBLISH, and let the rest sort itself out.

On Steam, you first have to get through Greenlight, which is a huge obstacle and has been critically deemed a failed concept.

Desura is a very nice launching pad and preparation for "bigger leagues" like Steam. It's much MORE indie-friendly than Steam ever was, and also the publishing process is easier.

If people are buying your games but you aren't getting paid, that's not very friendly. Desura has been shipped around from owner to owner, and is actually kind of painful to publish to and for end users to use. Bugs in the software just don't get fixed. The licensing has never been great. It may have been promising as an alternative, but that's ancient history.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
50. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 14:59 saluk

I think more people would be happier if there was never any pre-release footage. I really can't blame the devs for:

1) the realities of development
2) drinking a little of their own kool-aid
3) creating a masterpiece that looks very good

Of course the Aliens:CM thing didn't bother me much either. The final product spoke for itself bullshots or no.

People get worked up over the darndest things. But on the other hand, I do hope that CDPR puts out a directors cut like they usually do, that pushes the game even further. I mean, better is better right?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
17. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 21, 2015, 14:35 saluk

HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2015, 12:41:
"Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset "

This one always gets me, what kind of old system must one have that AF at any setting taxes a system?

A ps4.

(Ducks)

Hopefully this fixes some of the bad freezes and crashes some people have been experiencing. It's a GREAT game but if you are worried about a crash or a freeze that could happen at any moment it really takes the wind out of you.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
71. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 18:41 saluk

So far reviews are pretty great, better than I would have expected. Moreover, they seem to assert that W3 has gone in the direction I would have wanted it to go from the previous games. The gamesradar review is an outlier - but still confirms my hopes at what I would want the game to be.

I want better combat, less linearity, good graphics, and more of the great storyline I've enjoyed so far. It seems to have met or surpassed expectations in these areas.

The whole "open world" trump card gamesradar pulls up to knock it down is such a silly strawman, I literally can't even. I just saw a report of a mod for GTAV that lets you go inside areas that you normally can't get to unless you aren't in the right place in the story. (Not to mention previous GTA's where whole sections of the map are closed off until you unlock them). Does it REALLY matter whether you can in real-time take a ship across the sea and wait 10 hours before you get to the other side vs watching a cutscene? You can travel ANYWHERE on the ship in ACIV - but most people will use warping and see many load screens during their travels.

However - that perhaps overly critical review does bring up some potential issues with the games design. How well does the combat and structure of witcher missions scale to a game this big?

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
29. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 14:47 saluk

I get that the game isn't for everyone, but it captured almost everything I am looking for out of an Alien title. I think I paid full price as well, and it didn't feel like it was too much.

Not being able to make a return with 2.1m sales is a huge issue. I remember when a game selling a million copies was a HUGE hit.

Also don't get why sales going up 41% is weak. Completely unrealistic projection wonkiness going on up the chain somewhere. Cue "idiot suits" remarks.

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
23. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 16:56 saluk

I never heard of these Star Trek adventure games. As a PnC fanatic, and someone who enjoys trek enough, I don't know how I missed them.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
54. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 17:26 saluk

It starts.

And hopefully doesn't just finish

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 3, 2015, 12:39 saluk

Illumin wrote on May 3, 2015, 09:40:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 2, 2015, 22:37:
Anyone predicting prices is an idiot. If they really knew what "currency fluctuations" were going to do then they would be a billionaire and could make trillions from the futures markets.

People do this all the time with the stock market, some better than others. Gartner is a research and advisory firm they do stuff like this for a living. Will they be right? Who knows? But I would say they know a little more about it than the average Joe.

Yeah they have just enough rope to hang themselves

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
65. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 3, 2015, 03:52 saluk

It's not bad, more interested in hearing how many polygons and shaders they are able to use in realtime than what I am seeing though. Not sure how much of it is youtube compression, but it comes across a bit flat. It's always nice to get a glimpse of the future, but every increase is a little less exciting than the last. I'd say we've passed uncanny valley long ago, even in realtime.

The real question is, is it really worth the artistic effort - and hard drive space - to build 50 hair shaders on top of everything else going on in a real game?

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Apr 30, 2015, 22:54 saluk

I love the prison architect update videos. I don't even really play the game lol.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Clue?
31. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 16:28 saluk

Watch Dogs was pretty good. I see a lot of differing opinions about open world games these days. I think because there are so many aspects that go into a game, different people really attach to different elements. If enough of the elements someone is going for don't connect, it's going to be a terrible game. There are a lot of ways it can go wrong.

WD failed in some areas, but for me having an open world where it at least FELT like the inhabitants of the city were real people rather than just a random piece of code was a big improvement. I also thought the stealth was pretty good - better than in the Assassin's Creed games, and leagues away from any kind of 'stealth' in a gta.

It definitely failed in some areas as well. It had the standard broken ubisoft economy where you unlock things too quickly, and most of the unlocks are not that exciting. Being able to hack anything with basically no repercussions meant too much money too quickly. Driving wasn't fun. Story sucked.

Overall, it was quite a different experience from the GTA games - but last year I played Watch Dogs and GTA4 pretty close to each other. GTA4 was really boring and hard to get through, watch dogs was a lot more fun for me. If GTAV hadn't happened, I bet folks would have been more lenient on WD. GTAV was of course excellent, that's what happens when a game is in development for 4 years!

I'd LOVE to see ubisoft make an attempt to respond to the complaints. Wont pay full price though

News Comments > Hatred in June
43. Re: Hatred in June Apr 30, 2015, 02:04 saluk

Sigh. "It's just like gta" Do you people have any appreciation for games? If context doesn't matter, just buy any game. And no need to try to add any kind of story to games, because the context doesn't matter at all! Your just killing people either way right? If that's how you see it, it sounds like hatred is your game. Just get to the killing and skip all the boring stuff right?

OK then.

Bottom line for me and why I am not excited about playing this but have no qualms with gta - I can have hours of fun in GTA without murdering a single person, and can beat most of the games with a minimum of civilian/innocent deaths. Not to mention the variety that exists. Occasionally it is fun to go on a rampage, but then you die and it's like it never happened, and that gets REALLY old anyway.

Hatred looks fucking boring. The violent rampage is the game. It is the story. There is nothing else. Postal is a MUCH better comparison than gta. This is basically a modern redo of that. I thought it was funny when I was 14, but it's not something I care to return to.

I'm sorry, but I need a little more motivation to kill people then "hello player, you are a violent sicko and want to kill people". To each there own.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition Announced
8. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition Announced Apr 30, 2015, 01:31 saluk

Most overhyped game of 2014 for me. Felt totally flat and repetitive. Thought I would be getting the best of batman mixed with the best of assassin's creed in a world I like. But I just found it really boring with no motivation to keep playing.  

News Comments > Hatred in June
17. Re: Hatred in June Apr 29, 2015, 16:19 saluk

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 11:22:
Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:00:
Not all that much different from that leading video game.

If you can't discern the differences you need professional help.

Can't. Going down the street and beating/killing a civilian with a ball bat for no reason is hideous, degree's no matter.

So don't go down the street beating/killing a civilian with a ball bat for no reason in the other game. Nothing is forcing you to, and there are plenty of fun activities to do that don't involve that.

One game makes random violence possible. The other makes random violence the point.

Not debating whether either game should exist... but they aren't the same at all.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Broken Age
12. Re: Ship Ahoy - Broken Age Apr 29, 2015, 03:31 saluk

Pretty great documentary. Watching the developers squirm and bleed is... fun? And we can armchair all the decisions and see how they play out in the game. I have a feeling this whole experiment will be part of designer curriculum going forward.

The game is not bad actually. It suffers most from hype, anti-hype, and the long wait between acts. There are other modern adventure games that are better; and others that are worse.

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
27. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 00:01 saluk

Good on them, although their backs were put to the wall. I think the idea of paid mods has merit, but the way they just barged into the existing and vibrant Skyrim community and turned over the apple cart showed a surprising lack of foresight. Not to mention that every aspect of how the system worked was problematic.

You usually hear about weird thing that valve wants to do years ahead of it, and you wonder when they will actually implement it, but there was so much secrecy involved here.

The best path for paid mods in my mind, is that mods of a certain age/size/rating are offered through some process to become a "featured" mod. It would be like third party dlc. They would have to achieve a standard, such as always being updated to work along with game updates and the like, and not make use of other mods. And it would be best to implement the system along with a new game rather than trying to jury rig it in something that's been around for 4 years already.

25% is insulting; though I think that it is a bit different as legally the publisher could just package your mods into dlc and sell it.

I think that overall even the messy system valve/beth set up was still a more positive direction than it could have gone.

News Comments > Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts
9. Re: Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts Apr 18, 2015, 17:47 saluk

As a complete outsider this sounds like utter nonsense. Why is it so important for a feature to be removed? Why does it take so long to remove it?

Is it more about replacing it with something else?

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
19. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 15:49 saluk

12k makes sense here. And yeah, it's probably the 3 4k monitors that is the main target.  

840 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo