Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 967 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Amazon Launches Free Game Engine
11. Re: Amazon Launches Free Game Engine Feb 10, 2016, 05:12 saluk

This is very interesting. The engine is really just a way to entice developers onto the networking platform, so it is more competing with photon or other middleware like that. But as far as I can tell, if you write something which is single player or uses your own infrastructure, you are free and clear? Very competitive.

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 17:27:
As one in the FX industry, Amazon is totally ramping up. Movie/TV division, check. Game division, check.

I hear they have a weird town in Seattle that is all Amazon employees. People not working there hate it. Anyone else hear of this?

Creating my reel now.

Yep it is true. About 5 years ago there was a kind of run down area that started getting massively upscaled. Gentrification in action. It is blocks away from the Space Needle but you can no longer see the Space Needle from there. I wouldn't say we hate it but it's definitely caused a noticeable influx of Seattle newbies and its own bit of traffic issues.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 10, 2016, 05:03 saluk

Probably terrible forecasting. It sounds like Rock Band was kind of a hail mary for them, one that didn't make it.  

News Comments > Godus Becomes Godus Wars
17. Re: Godus Becomes Godus Wars Feb 3, 2016, 18:35 saluk

One way to recoup an investment. Rebrand, take out the most annoying part of the original game (excessive clicking), and hack in an opposing force.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2016, 15:14 saluk

Wetworks24 wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 21:20:
I'm enjoying the Witness but so far it feels a little over hyped, it feels more like an 8/10. The main problem is there is no story or plot in the game. This makes it feel like your only goal is to run around and solve maze puzzles for 30 hours.

If it had an actual story or mystery to solve while you were solving maze puzzles it would feel more complete.

The environment is mysterious enough for me. I usually prefer a narrative but I actually don't miss it at all here. I think if this caliber of puzzle game were more common it wouldn't have had as much hype, but there is only like one or two of these every few years - and The Witness is quite a bit better than the last couple that have come out. Talos was fun, but even with a narrative I found the gameplay got tedious about halfway through.

Every day at works since I got it, I look forward to getting home and chewing a little bit more on The Witness.

News Comments > The Witness Motions Sickness Patch
7. Re: The Witness Motions Sickness Patch Feb 1, 2016, 15:03 saluk

Nice, I don't get it really bad, but I do experience a twinge of motion sickness in this game, which I found odd. Outside of VR I don't ever have motion sickness in fps games.  

News Comments > GOG.com's Games in Development Program
11. Re: GOG.com's Games in Development Program Jan 28, 2016, 16:33 saluk

No comments about how awesome the 2 week refund policy is for these early access games? You get a chance to see whether or not the team is interacting with the community and get some idea of the direction of the project. Don't like what you see? Return it.

It's the best way to do EA I think.

Zomboid and Curious are both really good. The others I dunno. If you are going to curate, I would expect slightly better choices than this.

News Comments > Minecraft: Education Edition Announced
10. Re: Minecraft: Education Edition Announced Jan 19, 2016, 19:15 saluk

Second Life University, Minecraft for Education... there's something there. I don't know that the system is there for it yet, but the classroom/lecture format is less than ideal for many topics, it's worth continuing to try new things in education.

One of my classes at university was a remote class in Second Life. We went in a virtual classroom where the instructor ran a virtual slideshow. We did better things than that... but that portion of the class was hilariously short sighted.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
52. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 13, 2016, 15:55 saluk

I wouldn't do it for EA, but if I could pay the same price and have access to a largish selection of indie titles/early access I would be down. Most of that stuff I am interested in playing but don't really care whether I *own* it or not.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX Steam Plans
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX Steam Plans Jan 7, 2016, 23:35 saluk

Not buying. Square, put some actual effort into your ff ports and I will pay FULL PRICE. If you can't make a better product than the emulators that let people steal your stuff, you aren't trying.  

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
19. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 7, 2016, 23:06 saluk

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 22:58:
I WANT an arcade-y flight sim like Valkyrie. That's what Freespace 2 was.

You guys are really bitchy about space games you'll never play.

I mean, if there were a campaign like freespace 2 that would be a lot more interesting. As far as I know this is pvp only.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
18. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 7, 2016, 23:02 saluk

I love a game can be "award winning" well before it's finished or released. I'm kind of interested in this. I'm glad it comes with the rift, I don't know that I would have wanted to buy it on its own.  

News Comments > Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers
15. Re: Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers Jan 6, 2016, 20:16 saluk

Very nice sentiment. I'm not sure it completely erases the badwill of the "people's VR" being scooped up by facebook of all people (corps are people, deal with it).

But it goes a long way. I'll bet most backers are pretty thrilled with this, considering the consumer version is twice what they paid for the devkit.

News Comments > VIVE Pre Changes
13. Re: VIVE Pre Changes Jan 6, 2016, 20:12 saluk

The camera they decided to add was why they delayed.

VERY smart. You don't have to worry about kicking the cat or having someone sneak up on you and play a trick on you or worse, because you can see what's in your room while you are in vr.

That's a huge downside to VR knocked out. They've knocked out motion sickness with the 1:1 movement.

Space and comfort are all that are left. If the content is good enough, people will find the space. I'm convinced. Comfort is going to still be an issue. And content is still not quite there.

Still it's all gravy at this point. Oculus and Vive will both be modest successes this year that future models and developers will iterate on in the coming years to make a viable third platform. It won't be as big as mobile or consoles. But that kind of doesn't matter.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
38. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 20:00 saluk

Preorders don't "sell out". But the later you pre-order, the later your launch window. It's already moved 2 months out!

Even at 600$ they are selling "off the shelves" and doing better than the Oculus team anticipated. Their website crashed from too many preorders at once. Amazing.

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
80. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 19:53 saluk

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 18:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 18:44:
Dagnamit wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 16:08:
All they had to do was indicate 2 weeks ago, $500+ and people would have gotten the point and had time to come to grips with the cost of entry.

Simple. Come back in two weeks now, you'll feel better.

the messed up part is that I will. However, it's just inspired me to hold off and see what Valve has to offer. Like I said, the price isn't the stumbling block. Now that I know how much this is to get into, I can wait for the competition.

They did but they were coy about it. There was a series of tweets that basically said it would be higher price than expected.

600$ is more than I want to spend on it, and I'm pretty much a huge fanboy. It's high enough that I am waiting a bit longer. And yet, the pre-orders are flying off the shelves. So however annoyed people may be at the price... it was the smart one. It's high enough that only people who are actually likely to enjoy the device and post good reviews are the ones who will be owning the first copies. And the price is not so high as to be a limiting factor with respect to the slow production line.

It's really just a devkit++. But with enough legitimacy for the press to review and hype the games and pay attention to it for at least a little while. After which, when there are some titles actually worth owning it for, they can drop the price for everyone else.

But...

The vive is cooler. If it's not that much more expensive than this, we could have some real competition in the VR space. Which is weird for a space that technically still doesn't really exist.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
34. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 21:25 saluk

It's going to cost too much. I can feel it.

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 20:09:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:58:
Do you have to login to Facebook to use it? Shifty

Don't be surprised if that's the case. I wouldn't put that past Scummerberg. That's a major reason to avoid Occulus is nothing else.

Oculus has it's own independent account system and social network akin to steam. Can't believe this FUD is still floating around after being refuted many times.

News Comments > The Witness Video
4. Re: The Witness Video Dec 24, 2015, 05:51 saluk

John wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 21:24:
I like the art style but it looks like there isn't much variation in the types of puzzles.

This is intentional, the "puzzles" are actually just an interface into the metapuzzle of the island itself. I don't think anyone except the devs really know what this means or how it works at this point, but the long development time of the title points to more going on than what can be seen.

This trailer shows a lot more than we've seen before though. Lasers connecting to that center point? You have to go solve certain puzzles to power it up maybe. A section where the floor colors as you walk over it? Perhaps you have to walk the same path of a puzzle you solved elsewhere.

I still can't shake the Myst vibes that I've had since the first footage.

News Comments > GOG.com Bethesda Softworks Sale
13. Re: GOG.com Bethesda Softworks Sale Dec 22, 2015, 16:44 saluk

Acleacius wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 10:42:
mag wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 01:09:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 23:57:
Oh, I thought GOG worked it's magic with DOSBox to get a pretty stable Daggerfall. Or it just could have been a wishful thinking, kind of daydream! Please

My understanding is that Daggerball was just a buggy buggy mess to start with. Can't fix that!
I bought it at release, and the major issue I remember was Sound Blaster incompatibility. Iirc it was one of the first to use the new SB tech. Also, wasn't there a patch or two to fix the broken quests. Since it's free, guess it really isn't as big of issue and it's probably the most stable version atm.

There were many patches to fix many broken quests. Some are still broken. Some may work some of the time and break at others. The bug level in this game is ASTOUNDING, even after 12 or so official patches and several community ones.

Even ignoring the bugs the gameplay itself can be confusing and unintuitive, making quests impossible without you realizing it or just getting you stuck with no idea of what to do next. With some persistence, wise use of multiple saves and backups, and probably some cheats, it may still be a game worth playing. I've been playing it for a month and having a good time. But there are days where I just throw my hands in disgust and I come close to uninstalling and never looking back.

It's technically pretty stable though Runs smooth, doesn't really crash, controls can be configured to be fine etc.

News Comments > Remastered Turok Released
10. Re: Remastered Turok Released Dec 18, 2015, 15:09 saluk

I almost finished that game, but yeah it was punishing. Jumping was frustrating, but did break up the action pretty well. It felt like there was a bit more going on in the world in turok than other games at the time.

I honestly prefer updates that just fix technical glitches and make games work well on modern machines to ones that try and change the look of the game too much. I'm most likely only playing for nostalgia anyway - the ancient gameplay is not going to attract a new audience just because you slapped a new coat of paint on it.

Might be worth a future sale. Price is a bit much. But... sales. Capitalism at work friends.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2015, 15:01 saluk

That Brazil story is old. WhatsApp was already lifted.

It's like shutting down 911 service there lol.

967 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo