Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 689 (Apprentice)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 15:20 saluk

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 21:30:
I've been saying this for a while now. So much of videogaming history will be lost to the ages because of dying hardware and more recently online server requirements. There are ways around a lot of these things but in 25 years will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 2? Maybe, but the real question is will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 3? Whether or not someone 25 years from now would want to play such ancient games (by future standards) isn't the point - this is our gaming HISTORY. Nobody values the Liberty Bell based on well it rings, nor do they judge the value of the USS Missouri based on how it could perform in a modern-day sea battle.

While I care about video game history, the examples you give are kind of poor. The liberty bell no longer rings, nor does the USS Missouri still fight battles. In the future when our old games no longer are playable, it will still be possible to look at screenshots, read strategy guides; and now watch let's plays of them, in order to preserve their historical significance. Even if they can no longer be played.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
21. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 12:43 saluk

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:27:
Watching all the fools pony up money to play a so called beta. Beta's used to be about testing the product before release. Now it is releasing the product to earn cash. Calling this a beta is a hoot it is a release for the high rollers.

The market demands what it demands. With greater demand from the audience and longer more expensive development cycles, this was inevitable.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
12. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 29, 2014, 01:57 saluk

Blackhawk wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 21:04:
For a new developer with a new game, the value of being in a bundle has nothing to do with the money made from the bundle.

The value of being in a bundle is that, if your game is actually good, you are getting it out there into fans of that type of game to try, talk about, and tell their friends about. A handful of sales is the first step to building the kind of word of mouth that leads to ballooning sales later on.

Of course, your game has to be good first or the opposite happens.

I'm not buying this. The messaging a bundle usually sends to me as a consumer, is either old and discounted (yay, old games I passed up on for cheap money!) or not good enough to stand on its own. It just comes off as cheap. I'm not talking about the money when I talk about value. By starting as a bundle, you are starting from the bottom. I suppose it might work for some games, but as a consumer when I see a bunch of cheap indie games I've never heard of in a bundle, it doesn't make me that excited to try them out.

Maybe I'm not a normal consumer, but I dunno. I never had a big urge to try the games on those stupid "1000 games on a cd!" bundles back in the day, and I don't feel any differently now. We have a glut of games to play, devs should work on making their work stand out, not shoving them into the shovelware category right out of the gate.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
4. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 20:43 saluk

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't distribute the keys. No one who payed the 50cents is going to buy it again on steam.

They fell into the big trap of starting with a bundle that seems to be getting more popular for indies, which I don't understand at all. The value of being in a bundle is very low as it is, releasing in a bundle is just about the best way you can sabotage your bottom line. Looks like a halfway decent game too, but I doubt many have heard of it, despite it being in a bundle.

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
23. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 28, 2014, 18:15 saluk

You can take a well loved show
make a crappy tablet mmo

but you can't take the sky from me

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 28, 2014, 17:10 saluk

I had my close-up digital view of liberty island back in 2000! Still remember how cool it was to play in liberty island in the first Deus Ex - back when using real settings as game backdrops was a rare novelty.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 26, 2014, 18:41 saluk

So lobby for neutrality BOTH ways then. Rather than trying to make a system that allows one side to charge extra while the other side doesn't. Liars all around up the network chain.

All of the SICK amounts of dollars you have been using to fight this non-issue could have been used to spend to upgrade your systems and make service better for everyone. But oh no, we wouldn't want that. Much better to line politicians pockets.

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
20. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 00:45 saluk

Maybe when the dust settles the ex-crysis developers can create a bunch of dueling studios and fight information wars with each other over kickstarter without actually making any games.  

News Comments > GOG.com Linux Support Launches
3. Re: GOG.com Linux Support Launches Jul 24, 2014, 14:43 saluk

I've been running their dos titles through linux dosbox for years (heck, even on windows I sometimes run it through a newer dosbox), but it's nice that they are going to support it in a more official manner now.  

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
9. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 18, 2014, 14:42 saluk

I still remember how cool it was to fly across the US in Pilotwings 64.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 17, 2014, 14:14 saluk

This was a badly run project from the beginning. Yogscast had no business trying to manage a group of unknown, unskilled developers, but they had the clout to get a bunch of kids to give them money for whatevs!

Eh, backing always carries a risk. Look before you leap. I always consider the money I donate on these projects may vanish with no return. I think I threw a couple bucks at this one, less money than I donate to other more important causes during a given week.

When it fails like this though you kind of expect the project runners (in this case yogscast) to have more sincere apologies. Well, normally. This is yogscast lol. Nothing to see here really Except maybe Bacon Man. Um... yeah.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview Jul 14, 2014, 00:37 saluk

Ah the PC. Next-gen since 1982.

Yeah I don't think anyone is totally convinced that combat is fixed. Even big fans (which I am) will tell you the combat in these games is kinda broken. However this was a really short video, just taken from bits of the trailer, so it's not really enough to go on just yet. We all know how so often trailers don't represent the real thing

I'm pretty easy to please here. Better combat, more interesting stealth components, and less annoyingly stupid mission failure states. If they can touch on any of those areas in a real way it will keep me playing.

News Comments > 75 New Steam Greenlights
4. Re: 75 New Steam Greenlights Jul 11, 2014, 18:43 saluk

Mark of the Old Ones - I checked out the kickstarter, it could be Ok. Spud's Quest is very retro but very fun. It's also old and should have been in here a long time ago. There's actually some other stuff that looks interesting this time too, most of it is probably crap though.  

News Comments > Rebellion "Could" Return to AvP Series
3. Re: Rebellion Jul 10, 2014, 19:19 saluk

Looooved the first one on pc (never played the Jaguar game, because, uh, never seen a Jaguar in real life) but since it has not been a strong series at all. It's also pretty much the only game of theirs that has been noteworthy for me in 15 years, so that's not really a high recommendation  

News Comments > Project Eternity Backer Beta Next Month
11. Re: Project Eternity Backer Beta Next Month Jul 10, 2014, 15:46 saluk

Quinn wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 08:59:
This is the new name of Pillars of Eternity, yeah? I'm confused.

No the old name. The kickstarter page has always been Project Eternity.

News Comments > Fortnite Trailer
4. Re: Fortnite Trailer Jul 9, 2014, 00:00 saluk

It's just you. Gaming has always been status quo punctuated by rare moments of originality. Platformer glut in 16 bit era, fps glut in late 90s, ww2 bandwagon, modern warfare bandwagon... it's the way the world works

This actually looks pretty good and there aren't actually that many TD shooters. There's plenty of room to do a good one, if it works.

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
10. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 02:53 saluk

Denthor wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 02:40:
Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 01:07:
When has this ever happened?
This wasn't an exclusive. It wasn't funded by either MS or Sony. They had no stake in this.

Christ, you guys think there's an evil conspiracy against PC gamers. Even the Microsoft Xbox push, which at least some here recognize as the only way to sell consoles (which doesn't excuse it, but means at least some aren't seeing it as some evil way to fuck with PC gamers) is only based around games they have some kind of monetary stake in.
And you think people know what they're doing. Given that Sega was about to sue them for being too late to ship, isn't it infinitely more likely that, in the final days, if not hours, of shipping, two independent people made two independent decisions to change something in order to improve the way the game ran, but those two things weren't discussed and impacted each other directly, making the graphics degradation exponentially worse, but things were moving so rapidly that there was no way to roll the code back without losing too much other work, the game was still playable, and between getting sued by Sega or shipping an ugly game they made the choice to ship an ugly game.

Incompetence.

And, for godsake, the game was ugly on consoles. It's really effin hard to pitch this as "PC was made worse to have console parity!" when the consoles were awful as well. If the consoles were great, fine, maybe you could make that argument (you'd still lose it.) But the consoles were terrible. Were they kept terrible to keep parity with the Dreamcast to not piss off Sega?

I don't even know where you are pulling this from. I never said that they're out to fuck with PC gamers. Game development for the last 5 years has been all about the lowest common denominator. It's not going to change, shits made to run on the worst console then ported across with either increased res\textures\various other fluff.

In this case they had something quite unique, the occulus rift. It changed the experience the user had - not just adding fluff.

Oh wait are you thinking of that gearbox aliens game. Colonial marines? This is not that.... It's aliens isolation. It's the only way i can make sense of your ramblings.

I think you missed the whole thread there... Colonial Marines was mentioned and this was a rebuttal against that

Anyway, it's nice to see more developers consider the rift, but it would be much better if they would just actually develop for it. They've already done the bulk of the work. Once you are this far it seems silly not to go the whole way. But I can understand not wanting to commit to something when it's not clear when the rift is coming out or how it's going to sell, so I can cut them some slack.

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week
9. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week Jul 4, 2014, 07:02 saluk

To be fair, the company was basically built off of episodic games. They pioneered the model, and it was a kind of early access before that existed. Few publishers were putting money in these kind of games, and they couldn't afford to sink the cost up front.

Telltale and their games have clearly outgrown what this model can support. It was fine when they were putting out pretty rough graphics around the edges and very simplistic story structures. Their later games have so many threads they have to weave together, and while still simplistic, the graphics take a lot more time to finalize. But it's so fundamental to their business structure I don't see it changing any time soon.

News Comments > Sacred 3 Preorders
8. Re: Sacred 3 Preorders Jul 3, 2014, 01:30 saluk

I've heard pretty bad things about this one from sacred fans. I'm not really one (enjoyed the first one well enough, but Divine Divinity was so much more engaging), so another Gauntlet: Dark Legacy style game does intrigue me.  

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
25. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 18:07 saluk

Tentatively optimistic!  

689 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo