Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 883 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > King of Dragon Pass Released
2. Re: King of Dragon Pass Released Jul 29, 2015, 12:42 saluk

I wonder if there is anything significant in the remake? Redone graphics I could care less about.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valhalla Hills Announced
2. Re: Valhalla Hills Announced Jul 20, 2015, 19:17 saluk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 19:15:
Sigh, why comedic? Why not serious? Sacrifices to the gods! Raids! Raping! Pillaging! Someone needs to make a good serious Viking game. Grand Theft Viking as it were.

Because that wouldn't be very settlers 2? This is a spiritual continuation of that. Also fits Daedalic well.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
24. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 15:05 saluk

Wow. Clicker Heroes is capped at 30fps? How horrible!

The reason framerate matters so much in games, is because most games are not able to predict the motions that will be occuring. Everything in the scene is dynamic, and even worse, the camera is completely unpredictable in most cases as it is in the hands of the player. The more drastic the motion, the more important it is to have many frames carry along that motion.

24fps for cinema is mostly fine, for several reasons. 1. those frames actually contain a range of motion within them in the form of accurate motion blur. Motion blur in games would help, except that the procesing required is harder than just rendering more frames, and since it is based on looking into the past it's not quite as good as what happens with film. And 2. filmakers control the motion exactly and don't have quick motion that would show judder (unless they are going for that effect).

Most computer monitors sync at 60, and developers capping the framerate at 30 is really bad form. On a good monitor, it can look terrible. But developing on a fixed framerate does make some things a lot easier, and console devs who are used to 60 fps being a hard target to meet, while also having fixed hardware, have been encouraged for a long time to develop for a fixed 30fps time scheme.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 17, 2015, 14:18 saluk

Most money a video game has raised on KS yet.

Sony + E3 + beloved property = AAA has truly taken over KS.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
2. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 18:45 saluk

The price should be really low to begin with since it is such a limited experience. Too bad these gimicks never work in practice, because it does seem like a cool idea.  

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
30. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 15:43 saluk

Wildone wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:22:
Who in the hell plays split screen on PC?! Whats next people demanding it plays on their android phone too? Get the fuck out.

PC is about choice. You get the fuck out. There is very little to support, it's not like split screen is harder to implement on pc than console. It's the same amount of work. I understand them not supporting it, but it's a-ok to call them on it.

Not that I care about this game at all.the

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
22. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 13, 2015, 18:15 saluk

Sad.  

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
60. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:55 saluk

Well, that answers every question and concern I had. Put me back in the hype bucket!  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 8, 2015, 21:32 saluk

Play Lisa.

The end.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 8, 2015, 21:22 saluk

Look, it's not like this is new. Devs have been optimistic in their demos for a long long time. We only know about the cases where in the end the teams weren't able to reach the target that has been set. Now why it seems like devs are failing to reach their targets more and more (and ubisoft in particular seems to have fallen victim to this more than most lately) is another thing.

I'm not sure that underpromising is going to be a winning strategy against other developers who may actually be able to capitalize on their hype. Show the vertical slice, don't promise all the excess features, and then actually prioritize meeting that vertical slice so that you can wow people and then develop a reputation for actually being able to deliver.

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
35. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 03:09 saluk

I love how a guy who uses win8.1 criticized microsoft for trying to force win10, was subsequently criticized for using win8.1, and then the thread ran far far away from either windows 10 or minecraft.  

News Comments > Tales of Symphonia for PC Announced
8. Re: Tales of Symphonia for PC Announced Jul 4, 2015, 15:02 saluk

Brumbek wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 16:22:
...melodramatic dialogue and bad voice acting...

Woah, are you saying this is a bad thing?

Symphonia is the only Tales game that really grabbed me, and it's one of my favorite rpgs. I really love the combat, there isn't anything else quite like it in the genre.

This pre-order stuff is kind of weird. enough people have to preorder before the symphonia bonus is unlocked? Hate this kind of thing.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 14:57 saluk

Amazing rant. This man knows what he is talking about

Keep chasing the dream Smart... I love how he quits in 2009 and then decides to make an mmo in 2010. DS is me when I was 15.

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems
29. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 2, 2015, 01:19 saluk

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 14:06:
Almost a year ago...

That's against the "two month port job" quote from before. One of them is clearly a lie.

Stop worrying. Get your refund and see if they right the ship. Meanwhile, fire up terraria again and get lost in its absurdly huge content expansion.

Article may be false, unsubstantiated, and probably true anyway... but there is no contradiction. The 1 year ago is when they were having trouble getting the game running on CONSOLES and shifted all resources to the console side. Which would explain WHY they had to outsource the pc port later, as they had stopped work on it.

News Comments > WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced
7. Re: WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced Jun 30, 2015, 14:51 saluk

Spektr wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 12:25:
Maybe they are not the one to blame for the Batman Arkham Knight PC Port but that incident does not really make me interested in what they are working on next.
I am actually taking sides for studios that recently took pains to offer quality console ports. I have in mind Rockstar. Those that required me to upgrade from my dual core processor to play their games like Far Cry4 or Dragon Inquisition are not going to see the color of my money any time soon.

I get dinging really bad ports such as AK or AC:Unity. But PC gamers can't have it both ways. Do we want the games to be focused on min-spec on pc, med-spsec, or high-spec? Most games target med-spec, which tends to be a bit higher range than the current consoles. We want our games to be meatier on pc than on consoles, we expect it. Sometimes that means you need to upgrade past min-spec. Dual core is really outdated.

Though targeting med-spec means we don't get as much of an upgrade as we kind of expect, while still not having great performance for less than med... PC really sucks to develop for because of the heavy fragmentation. Fortunately there is enough of a spread to make money on us and keep porting games.

Rockstar is great, but they sure took their time. I don't know if smaller games than GTA or titles from PC-focused companies will ever warrant such attention.

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
5. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 14:05 saluk

Sadly the result may be, let's just not release on pc at all because it's too easy for people to get refunds.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 24, 2015, 17:38 saluk

On the money.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
30. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 13:58 saluk

Arkham City deleted my save game twice, I barely was able to get the will to finish it after that. Admittedly it was a GFWL problem, but it swore me off of these Batman games. I'm glad I missed out on this one!

Edit: Oh crap, I remembered I did get Origins on sale for a couple bucks a few months ago, played a couple hours and realized it was the same game, and haven't gone back to it yet. The same may happen here, though it's not looking good right now.

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:41:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:17:
Here's the inevitable, SHOCKING interview with a Rocksteady developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBngocx0DhI
This is beyond any doubt the greatest fake translation I've seen. It's perfect.

Thanks for almost getting me fired. TFFW (too funny for work)

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2015, 14:20.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 23, 2015, 21:29 saluk

Spector: "I worked really hard to avoid games that had a 4, 5 or 14 after their names."

Spector: "I had the Deus Ex experience and, for a change, I didn't know all the secrets. That was pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to Mankind Divided."

You mean Deus Ex 4?

Also, he was asked this question: "Did you experience any of it at the show?" And his answer was: "I've been pretty consistent in my belief that VR is a fad." He prejudges the tech, and doesn't even say anything about any VR stuff he tried - if he tried any at all.

And anyone who dismisses VR because it makes you look silly is obviously unaware of where the culture is these days. Looking silly while playing games has generated serious revenue for some people.

Spector you sound like a crotchety old man. But I still love ya, just like I love my grandfather who complains about the government spying on him through his radio

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
2. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 16:39 saluk

Axis wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 15:56:
Episodics. Never bought one, doubt I ever will.

Thanks for the very useful information.

Anyone playing this yet? Any good?

883 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo