Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 898 (Graduate)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming
5. Re: Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming Aug 26, 2015, 19:17 saluk

Turok! Come for the dinosaurs, stay for the best example of the aphorism "nobody likes jumping puzzles in a fps". Those later levels, falling and having to reply like half of the level to get to where you fell and then falling again.

Also, the first turok was like a showcase of the 3dfx chip if I recall. So most people never played it, because most people never had a 3dfx.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bob Was Hungry Released
4. Re: Bob Was Hungry Released Aug 19, 2015, 21:01 saluk

I'd buy it for a fiver. Would be a good time with some friends I think.  

News Comments > TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month
1. Re: TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month Aug 15, 2015, 12:42 saluk

Thank goodness this is coming back, and to the PC!

Wait, what is this?

News Comments > Funcom Seeking Help
10. Re: Funcom Seeking Help Aug 10, 2015, 20:14 saluk

Without Ragnar I have no real attachment to Funcom. Although The Secret World was one of my favorite MMOs.  

News Comments > Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually
1. Re: Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually Aug 10, 2015, 17:44 saluk

Come on Tom Hall get your pitch together!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
21. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 21:16 saluk

So boring could not even watch half of it. WTF.  

News Comments > John Wick VR Game Announced
3. Re: John Wick VR Game Announced Aug 7, 2015, 21:11 saluk

Everything is a franchise. They never just make one movie, they always hope that it will be more than that.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2015, 23:18 saluk

I definitely support the lawsuit. Turning cars into cell phones is bad enough, connecting the car-cell-phone to the other systems of the car is willful negligence.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine Games Trailers
9. Re: Unreal Engine Games Trailers Aug 6, 2015, 23:03 saluk

Also, note that Gamescom has a high developer slant; so the intent behind this sizzle real isn't "Look at the best graphics you'll ever see in games" but "look at all of the cool things you can easily accomplish with our engine." A lot of what's shown is UE3 stuff, because UE4 is still pretty new.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine Games Trailers
8. Re: Unreal Engine Games Trailers Aug 6, 2015, 23:00 saluk

Using celtic influences! Cool!

Calling it Hellblade. Uh what?

News Comments > Mad Max Specs
8. Re: Mad Max Specs Aug 6, 2015, 22:57 saluk

It looks advanced enough to need good specs, and the 660 is 3 years old. It's reasonable not to put the extra 3-6 months of development time optimizing for specs older than 3 years.

Also that it only needs a 760 for recommended is a pretty low ask.

Bigger surprise is when are games going to start recommending win 10?

News Comments > Project Daedalus: The Long Journey Home
3. Re: Project Daedalus: The Long Journey Home Aug 5, 2015, 13:24 saluk

"Every game offers a new galaxy, and a new adventure."

I didn't see anything that directly alludes to permadeath, but the world seems to be procedural. If it does have PD, then yes, it's PD+PG = what we call roguelike these days.

I've stopped worrying about whether roguelike implies ASCII/turnbased or not.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 16:59 saluk

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 15:21:
These games are great for combat and gameplay..

But they fucking suck with story.. This whole "leave purposeful gaps in the plot for the audience to come up with their own idea" is fucking dumb.

Since they have the whole system pretty ironed out already, they should really fire their director and start implementing a better story system.

Not going to happen. This is their style and it's been the same since the 90's. Personally, I find it to be a very unique style that makes their settings much more evocative. Telling/showing (either one really) too much more than they already do (DS2 almost went too far in my opinion) will take away rather than add to the experience.

Go find your "hey megaman!" storytelling somewhere else.

News Comments > ZOMBI Announced
3. Re: ZOMBI Announced Jul 30, 2015, 19:46 saluk

I mean, the game is 3 years old and is being ported from a low-spec system. It seems like a weird move to port it now.  

News Comments > EA Financials
1. Re: EA Financials Jul 30, 2015, 19:44 saluk

E3 awards are WORTHLESS. Where else do they equate rating ads to rating the product those ads are for?  

News Comments > King of Dragon Pass Released
2. Re: King of Dragon Pass Released Jul 29, 2015, 12:42 saluk

I wonder if there is anything significant in the remake? Redone graphics I could care less about.  

News Comments > Valhalla Hills Announced
2. Re: Valhalla Hills Announced Jul 20, 2015, 19:17 saluk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 19:15:
Sigh, why comedic? Why not serious? Sacrifices to the gods! Raids! Raping! Pillaging! Someone needs to make a good serious Viking game. Grand Theft Viking as it were.

Because that wouldn't be very settlers 2? This is a spiritual continuation of that. Also fits Daedalic well.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
24. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 15:05 saluk

Wow. Clicker Heroes is capped at 30fps? How horrible!

The reason framerate matters so much in games, is because most games are not able to predict the motions that will be occuring. Everything in the scene is dynamic, and even worse, the camera is completely unpredictable in most cases as it is in the hands of the player. The more drastic the motion, the more important it is to have many frames carry along that motion.

24fps for cinema is mostly fine, for several reasons. 1. those frames actually contain a range of motion within them in the form of accurate motion blur. Motion blur in games would help, except that the procesing required is harder than just rendering more frames, and since it is based on looking into the past it's not quite as good as what happens with film. And 2. filmakers control the motion exactly and don't have quick motion that would show judder (unless they are going for that effect).

Most computer monitors sync at 60, and developers capping the framerate at 30 is really bad form. On a good monitor, it can look terrible. But developing on a fixed framerate does make some things a lot easier, and console devs who are used to 60 fps being a hard target to meet, while also having fixed hardware, have been encouraged for a long time to develop for a fixed 30fps time scheme.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 17, 2015, 14:18 saluk

Most money a video game has raised on KS yet.

Sony + E3 + beloved property = AAA has truly taken over KS.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
2. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 18:45 saluk

The price should be really low to begin with since it is such a limited experience. Too bad these gimicks never work in practice, because it does seem like a cool idea.  

898 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo