Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brad

Real Name Brad   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Moatman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 6854266
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 27, 2005, 00:04
Total Comments 13 (Suspect)
User ID 23005

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Penumbra: Overture
2. Re: Really May 8, 2007, 15:20 Moatman

Looks interesting, and it even got a 7.8 from Gamespot which is better than a lot of big-name games get with their scoring system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > City of Heroes/Villains Veteran Rewards
13. No subject Sep 20, 2006, 12:55 Moatman

Ultima Online has has a veteran rewards feature for about 6 years now, though their rewards are only one every 12-months. I know how many people feel UO is a dead game, but last time I heard, they had over 130,000 subscribers...for a 9-year old mmo.

City of Heroes/Villains does have a pretty decent subscriber count, but they also have what is called "very high turnaround" What that means is, a lot of people quit and a lot of new people join, it seels really well still for a game that's 2.5 years old(that isn't wow...) Also, some past subscribers do reactivate for a month or two, either to try new updates, make some costumes, or just fly/jump around the great setting.

I wish they had put the dev-time that they put on these rewards into some sort of non-combat gameplay features for the game, it really needs a little besides just fighting to have some variety. They delayed a "skills" system a couple times and then outright canceled it, they have a makeshift "crafting" system for SuperBase parts, but it requires no skill.

I'm glad I'll be getting a bunch of free stuff(been in both games since the start) but I also wish there was more of a reason to make me want to play...gets harder every week for me to muster up the interest to get on and play.

News Comments > Bad Day L.A. Demo
9. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2006, 22:32 Moatman

To be honest, this is basically what I was looking for in the game, I did expect it to be a bit more linear though.

I thought it might be a game where you just lead a group of people around through tunnels or around areas, trying to make paths for them instead of the mission-based game it is, but I still liked it.

Silly story and characters, very straightforward and simple gameplay, and great art style. I played on easy, where there is technically no death, so maybe that impacted my decision(stupid insta-kill cars...) Plus they should have given a way to respec your keybinds.

I liked it enough to buy the full game when it comes out, I guess I just look for different things in games than a lot of the people who tried this out...

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - The Ship
17. Re: Explain gameplay Jul 11, 2006, 18:38 Moatman

Online is where the real fun is, the offline ai is a bit spotty so far, makes the game much too easy.

I didn't realize it, but when I was playing online earlier with 16-20 people, it was on one of the "up to 8 people" ships. I just played offline on one of the larger ships and wow, big difference, this is huge. Each ship has multiple decks, and this one is large enough to have working elevators(and they work like a real elevator, not an instant-transport thing or something, actual button pressing and waiting)

I also peed myself when I wasn't being careful and flies were all over me, had to rush to wash up...how many fps can you say that about?

10. Re: Explain gameplay Jul 11, 2006, 17:52 Moatman

You basically have it, Skoll. But you can be seen by the npc's(guards, vendors, cameras, etc) as long as you aren't doing something criminial(weapon out, killing someone, whatever:)

There are different play modes, some involve getting new targets and going until all but one person is whacked, some involve a new round 90-seconds after the first target is killed. After you are killed, you come back to life with a new name and identity(random) and you go about getting ready for the next round(your inventory carry over from round to round, as do your name and appearance if you don't die)

You have money to buy things or bribe npc's, you get money for killing people(more money for the randomly picked "hot" weapons, to increase variety) Most money at the end of a game(multiple rounds, usually to a target $ cap) wins. Lose money for breaking the law. Great setting and theme, very immersive into that time period, with period music and dress. Their website with more info and graphics is at www.theshiponline.com so you can get a better idea, but I'm liking it.

5. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2006, 16:42 Moatman

I'm liking it so far, online and off. Offline the bots are decent, but the last hunter had a little trouble finding his quarry so that match never ended.

Online was very fun, the whole idea of knowing that one person is trying to find and kill you while you are trying to also find and kill your own quarry. I've only played on the Atlanta ship, so I can't comment on the other 5 ships. It's a little tough lining up some of the melee weapons, but it just takes practice I guess.

About 16 people were playing on the server and the rounds went pretty quick in the "90 second timer after first hunter gets kill" Hunt mode.

The needs system wasn't a problem at all, I wasn't sure about that one and it wasn't an issue to me. Fun gameplay so far, the interface system is pretty simple and works well, and they even have a map of your ship to get an idea of where everything is. I'm enjoying the game:)

News Comments > Urban Chaos: Riot Response & Tomb Raider Plans
1. Hope it's a sequel to the first. Jan 24, 2006, 01:01 Moatman

Urban Chaos, while flawed in some ways and a bit repetitive, had huge areas of a city for levels, it was kind of a precursor to the gta's free-roaming style. Great graphics for the time and a fun story, combined with the huge areas, made it a very fun game. I'm not sure how much, but I'd guess that rockstar definitely borrowed some of their gta 3d concepts from this game, at least in part, it came out in 1999 for the pc, nearly 2 years before gta3. Holding out hope until more info is released about this game though, but still crossing my fingers all the same:)

News Comments > City of Villains Launches
40. Re: Overpriced crap Oct 31, 2005, 23:45 Moatman

AT times I can defintely be a fanboy about games I enjoy. I'll also be the first to criticize the faults coh or any game has, but in a clear and constructive manner instead of insults and hyperbole.

I've played a great many mmo's, starting back in november '97 with UO. XP debt isn't the worst by any measure, it's a great deal better than acutally losing progress and possibly even levels. It also promotes people playing a little more carefully, I see people who are level 60 in wow who don't know the half of what their class can do or what their abilities are, but they just got there from grinding it. People in games with debt or xp loss tend to learn how to play a little along the way, or give up.

CoV is an interesting game/expansion, but I do have some complaints so far. I think the main one being that prestige is too hard to get, especially for a small "guild" The idea of bases and base raiding is built around being able to field 16-32 people at a time it seems like, for raiding and defending(and the trial to get the Item of Power that is what people raid for) This basically limits small guilds quite a bit and removes a bunch of content from their plates. Most of the other problems I have with Villains would be issues with Heroes carried over, since it's similar gameplay, and I think most people know the limitations of that game.

The game/expansion does add a lot at least, and should keep people occupied/interested at least for a couple months of playing around. I just hope they do tweak some of the issues with bases and small guilds, but I guess you can't please everyone all of the time.

News Comments > City of Villains Launches
33. Re: Overpriced crap Oct 31, 2005, 17:19 Moatman

I see some people complaining about xp debt and the like. Yep, it's annoying, but it tries to cause people to play a little less sloppy and have impact on their actions. Yes I hate getting debt, but thankfully they halved debt inside of missions, which is a pretty big thing.

The only people complaining about debt seem to be people new to mmo's or who have only played wow. 95% of all mmo's have some kind of bad aspect of dying(besides damaged equipment in wow) It's just a very common feature in mmo's, wow was one of the first successful games to not have a serious penalty on death and I think it spoils people in a way, though it is also a nice aspect I do like. I do wish games would get rid of death penalties, but in terms of penalties, coh's isn't very severe and you can never lose a level like some games...

News Comments > Gold - City of Villains
3. Re: Bah Oct 19, 2005, 12:18 Moatman

The problem is, coh players and some uninformed players are looking at it as just an expansion. The gameplay is very similar, but it stands perfectly well on its own, without coh at all. And likewise, coh stands alone fine also, minus "guild" bases that you get from getting cov also. The "expansion" nearly doubles the content of the game, adds 5 classes to the existing 7, nearly a dozen extra-large zones, bases, new systems for loot, a new gladiator battle system that's damn fun(xp gaining bug or not)

I am hard-pressed to think of an expansion that added this much content short of maybe trials of atlantis for daoc(booo...the expansion that ruined the game) but even that was about half of the content that city of villains has.

News Comments > Total Overdose Demo
6. Re: No subject Sep 21, 2005, 03:06 Moatman

I thought the demo was a lot of fun, I think the "doesn't take itself as seriously" comment was directed more towards the special moves and rewind feature, this is almost like gta meets looney toons with some of the things you can do, but I think that makes it unique and fun.

I don't know how many times in gta or max payne I'd make one little mistake and I'd want to take it back, the rewind does that, even if you get killed. The special "loco" moves are very useful in their own ways, and the shoot dodging is as fun, if not more, as max payne. The demo level is fairly large, you can either go right to the objective and clear that out pretty quick or just goof around and try to get a higher score(plus see more of the fun stuff around the farm)

This game has gone from being not on my radar at all to being a very likely purchase just as of today. Between first hearing about it on a banner ad on ign(yeah yeah, don't tell the advertisers that one of those actually got my attention in a good way...) to trying the demo this evening, very tough to totally catch me off-guard with a game, especially a fun gta "clone" like this.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Indigo Prophecy
11. Re: Censored Sep 21, 2005, 02:02 Moatman

I had been debating which version to get, but I hadn't had any prior experience with the other companies selling the uncensored version import, but when I saw that gogamer had it, I decided on the spot(I've used them before several times)

I'm proud to say I've ordered the game I've wanted to play since it was announced all those years ago, not a censored and renamed(rumored so because of potential "stupid american" confusion with Fahrenheit 9/11...) version. I was very upset when I heard they were changing distributors, I figured it was the kiss of death for the project. But earlier this year when they announced it would indeed be coming out, I was quite relieved.

There aren't enough innovative companies putting out enjoyable games these days, after Omikron I knew I'd want to follow these guys for a while. Playing the demo, I just didn't know what to think for almost a day, I played through once and after the "that's it" aspect of it(it's damned short) I was somewhat speechless, figured I'd sit on it a day or so. The next day I had a serious urge to go through and play out all the possible endings and explore all the various aspects, I was hooked! I think this is the kind of game to do that, put someone through few different emotions(good and bad) in the process of experiencing it,

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Laser Squad Nemesis
6. Re: PSone X-com Apr 26, 2005, 20:13 Moatman

I haven't tried playing my old copy in my ps2 yet, but I ended up just moving on to a pc copy because of the ungodly load times on the psx version, does the "fast load" ps2 option work for it and help the load times? That was my first introduction to the x-com universe and I've been a fan ever since.

I tried the demo for Laser Squad Nemesis and have to say it was pretty enjoyable, but lacking some of the great features of x-com. First, there seems to be no "fear" or effects like that. Secondly, no crouching or facing certain directions for a bonus, at least as far as I could see. Thirdly, it's class based instead of being able to equip your guys with what you want, a major haggle to me. Finally, it's all one level, I guess in the future, multi-level buildings are illegal? That was one of the best things, getting someone up in a high perch to snipe or just blowing up a building to take out an enemy concealed unit. It's hard to believe after all these years, they can't just slap a different name and theme on the same exact style gameplay and sell a ton of units, every single game that tries fails pretty badly(like Aftermath's whole "can't go in buildings" thing...)

13 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo