Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1753 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: 20 Most Anticipated Games Nov 21, 2011, 15:52 Alamar

Fion wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 14:12:
How can this list include WoW: Mists of Pandaria and NOT include Guild Wars 2?

Easy... The author isn't highly anticipating GW2...

These lists are always subjective... Personally, I can't come up with a list as big as 20 of what I'm looking foward to... SWTOR... GW2... Uhm... Diablo 3, maybe torchlight 2...

Edit: Having no read the list, I'll add Borderlands 2 : ) The other 18 titles? meh...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
59. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 15:39 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 14:46:
And I can't level alchemy because it's fucking impossible to level by making potions.

You level up a lot faster by discovering new effects from ingredients. Of course, once you've discovered all the effects, you're kinda screwed.

I have hundreds of alc mats in my 'bank' (chest)... With no intention of using them heh... Kinda wished you could transfer some stuff to a new character... I have finally forced myself to stop picking up so much junk (mostly vendor trash)... I have like 60k gold, and nothing to spend it on (haven't ever purchased training).

-Alamar

News Comments > Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans
11. Re: Eidos-Montreal Expands, New Hitman Game Plans Nov 21, 2011, 14:31 Alamar

I'd like to apply to this new studio, mais non, je ne parle pas francais...

-Alamar

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 12:02 Alamar

InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 10:54:
In any case this was miles away from Whiterun in the middle of nowhere and was one of those WoW AI Moments. I mean how cool is that, NPCs venturing out in the wilderness to fight monsters and shit.

The coolest AI moment I've had in game, is just after I became Thane of some city (may or may not be related), I got a bit overencumbered (quest that was like.. here, take all this useless shit)...

So I start throwing this useless shit out in the middle of the street... A courier, that just dropped something off to me, runs over, and says that he noticed me throwing shit on the ground, and could he please take it? I said yes, so he walked over and start picking up (and wearing) the stuff I threw down... Then he said something else I missed, and gave me back a bow I chucked heh... Which I had to chuck again, but that's ok, because I was laughing (and pointing it out to the wife) what was going on...

-Alamar

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 20, 2011, 20:54 Alamar

Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 20:41:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 19:48:
For shame, there are people out there who DON'T already own Sins of a Solar Empire!?

"Inconceivable!" - Vizzini (25th anniversary, The Princess Bride)

I bought it again. On the list in general, it is quite heartening actually. I especially love that Skyrim beat CoD.

But CoD also beat Skyrim.

-Alamar

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
79. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:16 Alamar

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:55:
Iím not sure why you all are having issues with it. I have two swords both with different enchantments. One with Ice the other with Fire and Iím having no issues at all with it. I havenít tried an Axe. So Iím not sure about those. I switch back between the swords and my bow a lot and a heal spell. But, I have had some issues with other keys sometimes seemingly getting confused and not working until; I hit either TAB or escape and they work again.

Are they the same sword though? I think you're misunderstanding what people are wanting here, they want a single hotkey to equip different weapons for dual wielding purposes. Try equipping an axe and a sword to the same hotkey, you can't. Any items that are "grouped" under the favorites menu you can dual wield by hitting the same button twice. For example if I have 3 Imperial Swords and I assign hotkey 5 to them I can dual wield them by hitting 5 twice. Once equips one of those imperial swords in my right hand, a second time equips another in my left. Any items that aren't grouped can't be dual wielded without using two different hotkeys to select them. There is an annoying workaround involving having one previously equipped and switching hands but we're not counting that because its silly.

It's just a limitation of the system they chose unfortunately, the only way it'll be fixed is likely through mods.

Plus... I haven't tried this, but say you're dual wielding sword/axe, then you throw on a heal spell (left hand), then when done, you want to go back to the axe. Hitting the axe # will throw it in the sword hand?

Not going to be an issue for me... If I ever play the game again, I was considering heavy armor/2hd/smithing (though some comments scare me on this - maybe throwing diff slider higher will offset the OP nature?), and maybe enchanting or some resto (like having a quick heal, and even the base one seems useful enough at higher lvls).

-Alamar

News Comments > Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands"
22. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 13:10 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 13:04:
Limited success? LOL! Oh man, you gotta love the marketing speak. Well after Brink I won't be looking at anymore of their games unless every site and gamer out there declares it better than the second coming.

Like going from Invisible War to... Human Revolution.

-Alamar

72. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:45 Alamar

Titus wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 03:47:
jimnms wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 03:02:
My only dialog option was something about overhearing an argument and asking what was going on, which led to him giving me a quest to find something. I had never seen this guy before or overheard an argument.

Some monologs / dialogs the NPC's have trigger quests or extra dialog options, which will stay triggered. You might have overheard something the last time you were in town but weren't wearing your headphones, was afk a minute without pausing, etc.

All the times I've seen a message popup top left corner (Map location added / Quest added etc) I heard some NPC talking about it, some times more audible than others. I actually love the little 'mental notes' you make like that for overhearing / noticing something like that.

This is a really good distinction... Your character can be aware of things that you, the player, are not...

However, in this specific case, you're wrong : ) I'm assuming it's the same occurence as mine, which was, when entering for the FIRST time, and just starting to walk up the main road, a character from way off (no where near me at any point) had this issue. It was the quest to get his family sword from a bandit camp up north.

This is an exception however... Most of these scripted upon visibility dialogues are in buildings, so as soon as you entering, you hear the bickering (the first likely being the trader and his sister).

-Alamar

71. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:37 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:14:
Does nobody read anything anymore? Sigh Hit escape. Go to controls. The #5 and #6 entries say Left Hand and Right Hand. Behind them they say M1 and M2. Switch them around. Tadaaa, bug solved.

I think the issue is that they shouldn't have been mapped like that in the first place. It's completely illogical.

I don't like it, and it took me a few minutes to adjust to, but I think it's quite logical...

Most people are right handed... Most people use their index finger primarily...

-Alamar

News Comments > This is Your Brain on Games
4. Re: This is Your Brain on Games Nov 15, 2011, 23:31 Alamar

That is some crazy shit... heh...

-Alamar

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 15, 2011, 13:36 Alamar

That response was actually Burrito of Peace's.

Mine was just the most comical addition to a cute joke... or something ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 14, 2011, 09:58 Alamar

nin wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 09:52:
What the hell is a sandy bridge, anyway?

And what kind of troll lives under it?

A mud troll... at least when it's flooding...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 12:50 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:16:
Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:35:
So I think I'm going to finally replace my old 19" CRT. It's 8 or 9 years old now, has a permanent reddish tint, is getting fuzzy in some areas and has diagonal reddish lines somewhat visible in any black. I've hung on to it forever, as I swore by CRTs, but it's almost 2012. Time to move on.

Any suggestions? I was going to go with a Dell IPS but figure maybe I should grab two monitors right now, replace the LCD so I have a matching pair rather than two different monitors, and I don't feel like spending $600-$700 for two monitors. I'm thinking 2 23" TFTs for ~$150-$170 apiece.

I really like my Samsung 226BW S panel, but there are newer ones that they have. I also have an ASUS that is a 23 inch. I dno't know which right now, not at home, but it is a very nice monitor that I got for a great price.

I would go to NewEgg and Amazon, look at a couple, look around and get one that matches your price range with great reviews. The technology changes on them so fast - hard to tell you which one to get even if it is only 6 months old.

Yup, and it's tough to tell via Newegg and Amazon reviews. You'll have many with glowing reviews and no clear distinguishing characteristics, making it a crapshoot.

I'm using a pair of Samsung 245B's, and I'm happy with em... Also switched to LCD late (had my 19" KDS CRT for about a decade... still worked, but holy crap... 50 lbs... LAN Parties were a workout). Had some 21" Samsung LCD's prior to that too, but they eventually died (sure as shit didn't last 10 years)...

I waited so that the technology wasn't crap, and it worked out well... Very happy with the end results...

And honestly, I'm really only using the one now, one a monitor arm, because my iMac is also on the desk now, blocking the other one... Why a monitor arm? Makes it so I can sit more comfortably in my recliner : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
45. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:32 Alamar

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:38:
KataSteel wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:21:
Hudson wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:16:
30" monitor wow thats awesome! Good for you for living well below your means and saving money for your gaming "rig"

Not sure what century you are living in but I have never seen dime sized pixels. Must be an old PC gamer curmudgeon thing.

Yeah a $1500 monitor is living below your means. Console players are a joke.

Yeah, I was about to say, someone never priced out 30" monitors...

I guess I read this differently than 'you's'...

'Good for you living well below your means and SAVING MONEY for your gaming "rig"'...

Followed up by saying the monitor costs 1.5k... Which implies to me, that someone would have to SAVE MONEY to buy it...

Either way, a lot of stupid in this thread...

You like it on console? Great... I like stuff on PC... have a nice day : ) I am glad that we're both gamers and are passionate about this hobby.

-Alamar

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage Oct 31, 2011, 13:19 Alamar

Acleacius wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 12:07:
Skyrim is released a week from Friday.
Damn it, stop making me think about it, Blue! Please

My only warning about watching....

Worst part of watching this is seeing it played by a young console gamer. Not that I have anything against young gamers (he used his real name Mike to play a Nord....just Mike....Mike....the Nord Rolleyes ) or consoles (well ok, they suck the life and creativity out of games but....). The problem is he just GOES, rarely investigates anything even....well I won't spoil any particular part. For the most part Mike (the Nord) seems to want to, Get To Something or Somewhere, then Pass It By.

Hurry Lets Run Somewhere, stop for 5 seconds, then off we go again. It's like watching a 5 year old. Winkrazz

or... he either has a limited time to play it (unlikely maybe; I don't know), or wants to show as much of the game as possible in the short clip posted...

Much like (most of) the GW2 (or any game?) initial videos that go along the same path... For the same reasons...

Anyhow... a lot of people complain on this site about any game that isn't the first in a series, because they're passionate about it (good), but can't seem to fathom the idea (bad) that some reviews and players, which the reviewers represent are new to the series... And just sound like grumpy curmudgeons about it : )

Also... Gamers, by nature and 'definition', are prone to elements that get diagnosed by ADHD in our current culture... Not kiddy gamers... not console gamers... Just gamers : ) And I realize some will argue that since they're not that way (and likely older), that there's a correlation... And to that, I point to all the old gamers that have ADHD or OCD elements (and that games are meant to promote it : ).

/Rant

-Alamar

News Comments > Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology
24. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:33 Alamar

nin wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:44:
From everything I've seen/heard of Mike, he seems like a decent guy. I suspect someone else in the company just made a bad decision in using the clip.

You can be a nice/decent guy and still make mistakes... Like assuming a joke around the office, and the game, will be taken lightly...

Anyways... This thread is going to be just as Prez as the other one... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Oct 28, 2011, 13:30 Alamar

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:08:
So is this going to have the same stupid-ass leveling system that punishes players who don't want to grind for 5/5/5 stats?

Was just talking to a friend about this yesterday...

Lots of uproar about the TES system (was it Oblivion?) where mobs were always your level... But so many other games do this, and no peep... And ya, I mentioned that it was likely because you could gimp yourself, but not knowing you needed to do stupid things, like jump around in circles for 5 minutes, to make sure you had a stat/skill worth picking at level up...

Anyhow... I barely played the game... Which is actually true of every TES; I've played them all, but barely heh...

I may look into Skyrim... But currently, there is no hype...

-Alamar

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2011, 13:23 Alamar

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:43:
I literally died five times last night during that game.

And I literally don't know what the word 'literally' means.

Creston

Simple, nearly all-the-time rule for literally is that if you're using it, you're using it wrong : )

Not very exciting to say that you figuratively did something though... Literally...

Came in here to comment on xkdc though... That one is gold... And I always thought the double email fields were made for people that don't know what Ctrl + C/V do... : )

-Alamar

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2011, 12:51 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 22:24:
Put in a 10 hour session into Dead Island via 360 to 360 link. Damn that is fun. 2 big screen tvs next to eachother, laughing, drinking beers, hanging out. Good times. The game is a hell of a lot of fun.

I used to lug about 100 lbs worth of computer equipment around for lan parties... That is, a 19" CRT (50 lbs), and a monster Antec (made of steel) case, and accessories...

But Taking a big screen to a friend's for a 'lan party' sounds crazy...

Maybe that's not the case... Maybe you have two... But either way, I find it funny : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 28, 2011, 12:37 Alamar

Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:45:
It's the journalism equivalent of your newspaper editing out mistakes in their online issue or failing to give correction notices. Granted I doubt most of us expect much from IGN but it's situations like this that help perpetuate the whole "lol gaming journalism" attitude.

Tonight at 11! We apologize for all the fear mongering we spout to keep consumers fat and happy...

-Alamar

1753 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo