Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1753 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2011, 21:02 Alamar

That's so gay... : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Dec 8, 2011, 21:11 Alamar

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 21:02:
Anyone think Homefront is worth $7.50?

Someone does, but they don't visit here, because this site is for REAL GAMES...

Seriously though... I have never played it, nor seen a video... I just know some people bitched about it ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week
23. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 13:55 Alamar

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 10:51:
Teddy wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 07:37:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 02:08:

After playing the beta and reading the forum I've realized that this MMO is anything but even remotely like WoW. This is a "themepark" MMO: Your hand is held throughout the game, in this way it's absolutely useless to return to old areas and the exploration factor is hardly in there. It is true that WoW had this too, but it was heavily disguised due to the fact the game was OPEN WORLD.

I loved the beta but since I didn't wanna spoil too much for myself I played almost every class up unil the end of their starting planet. I am doubtful.

Then you missed a good bit of the freedom allowed in the game. After the newbie area (which includes the planet after the starting planet) you're free to go where you will. The game certainly didn't hold my hand when I walked into an area 6 levels above me on a random planet I chose and the enemies decimated me while I barely scratched them.

I didn't mean to imply that you won't be able to stray into a too high-level area. I meant -- and this is based on what I've read on the forum which many people agreed upon, so I can't call it a fact -- that one quest leads you to the next and eventually the quests tell you to advance to the a next area without there being the option to choose between multiple equal level areas like in WoW.

I admit that this has been contradicted by other comments, but I was stunned by the amount of members agreeing in dismay with the first.

As a very specific example, added as a spoiler, even with pretty generic info/wording, when you finish the second world (the first being the 'tutorial area'), you're given a choice of 2 worlds to continue on... As a story driven progression style, this is harder, but at this point, it's more like, go find pieces A and B of the blah-blah, so it matters not which you get first...

So really, it's an argument disputing what you said, but also supporting it... You can choose A, then B, or B, then A, but it's the same thing essentially...

However, it's up to the individual player whether this is good or bad... For over a decade, massive players have complained that massives don't have enough story, don't have enough 'effect on the world', etc... SW 'solves' one with a butt load of story, and GW2 'solves' the other, with Dynamic Events...

-Alamar

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
19. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:53 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:42:
Maybe it's just an issue of what type of CPU you have, rather than just clock speed. I have a Core 2 Quad and the game runs like ass in the cities. The patch says it optimizes performance for Core 2 Duos, which is basically the same as a Core 2 Quad (minus 2 cores), so hopefully that will improve things.

I just did some testing, and your ridiculous claim that fps wouldn't be affected by resolution (1920x1200 to 1280x800) was also true for me... I ran around Markarth (where I happened to be saved) and the numbers were pretty much the same on both resolutions...

That does seem odd to me... But I'm happy it runs as well as it does at the top : )

-Alamar

15. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:33 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:11:
Games being horribly optimized is a real issue with this game. The game is entirely CPU-dependent. I can drop my resolution to 1280x720, turn off AA, AF, texture detail, lighting, etc, and gain exactly 1 FPS. My PC handles 99.9% of console ports at 1080p, 8xAA, 16xAF, max detail settings, all at a constant 60+ FPS. Skyrim is a console port based on 6-year-old hardware so there's absolutely no reason why it should need a 4+ GHz CPU to get a decent framerate.

I haven't noticed any major slowdown in any cities myself... and I have it all maxed...

My 2.8 GHz CPU seems to be handling it alright... And 'old' 5770 vid card... Running at 1680x1050 in a window... : )

-Alamar

13. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:30 Alamar

jimnms wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:23:
I haven't seen the problem you describe with quest markers in Skyrim, but I saw it in FNV a lot. The path drawn on the map would have me go in the front door of a random house in the middle of nowhere and come out the back door rather than just walking straight to where I needed to go. Switching the active quest to a different one and back would update the path, so try toggling the quest off and back on if it does it again. I also turn off floating markers and rely on myself to navigate rather than following the quest marker on screen.

I have this problem with my GPS... Not literally into a house, but at one intersection (in London), it wants me to turn right, then turn right again : )

And really, GPS and in game mapping aren't all that different : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week
9. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:17 Alamar

So where will the Blues News guilds/servers be? : ) Plural because not everyone will want to play the same faction.

I'm already coordinating with a few people at work, a few online friends, and potentially some more ; )

Personally, Empire, Sith Inq (Sorc for me, Ass for the wife).

Edit: Already done downloading, and the folder states '18.4 GB (19,856,643,301 bytes)'.

-Alamar

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Trine 2
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Trine 2 Dec 7, 2011, 22:09 Alamar

Crap... I really need to beat the first one...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 17:17 Alamar

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:51:
It's such a relief to finally be able to play for hours and hours on end without randomly crashing back to the desktop.

Creston

But then, when will you know it's time to stand up and stretch your legs (and other assorted body parts)? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Coupon Support
18. Re: Steam Coupon Support Dec 7, 2011, 12:47 Alamar

Deathhead wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 12:28:
Using my 17 digit id number didn't work for me, once I went and made a custom url, that worked fine.

Found 113 Games with a value of
$1655.87 USD

Its amazing how that adds up on you!

I had to make my custom URL all lower case, for it to recognize (unless it was a timing issue).

It's a neat feature (and a great way to find your acct's ebay value heh), but I'd like to see how much I bought the parts for, compared to the current price : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Arkham City Skin Pack Released
5. Re: Arkham City Skin Pack Released Dec 7, 2011, 11:22 Alamar

I think I'd rather have horse armor... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 7, 2011, 00:34 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 21:47:
This is no different than any other headliners to get people blaming a game/company/movie/service/etc for ignorant parenting...

While I agree with you to some extent, aiming a game at children and then offering $100 upgrades (when the target market has no concept of money) seems like these publishers are honestly hoping for that kind of mistake to befall their customers.

Agreed, but my point was more that a child shouldn't have access to a credit card, even if 'by proxy'... I can't recall if you have to specifically log in for an in-app purchase, but since they regularly cost more than app purchases (that require the log in), it would seem likely...

I looked at the top grossing iPhone apps earlier, and Dragonvale, a free game with in app purchases is second (to Infinity Blade II for $7)... Smurfs was down the chart a bit, but still pretty damn close... wonder if it's including the $1.4k above : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2011, 22:22 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 20:34:
I think most of the people reading Yahoo articles don't realize it's getting posted to their feed. Because there is a group of about 5 women on my Facebook who only read articles about rape and murder, it's getting disturbing.

"Jane Doe read "11 year old gang raped on playground""
"Janis Doe read "Mother murders 3 of her children""
"Jane Doe read "Gym teacher goes on raping spree""
x10

I wish I was exaggerating. Doesn't anyone ever read anything happy? Or some tech news or something?

I'm sure I have mentioned my distaste for entertainment news in the past : )

-Alamar

Hint: I don't mean news about entertainment.

News Comments > Trine 2 This Week
20. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 22:15 Alamar

fb_joel wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:47:
Mac wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 03:50:
Strange release date given that we all know that it will be at least half price in less than a month in the Steam Sale ... ah well, it gives me time to finish the first one.

That's exactly why it's not strange - we specifically did not want to release during the holiday sale, because the game would get buried pretty bad. So we compromised on the release dates (original plan was to have all versions out the same time, but of course console certification is what it is), and will now release the game in a reasonably good period, all things considered.

Trine 2 will not be on sale during the Steam holiday sale. We have some behind-the-scenes reasons for that related to consoles and fair pricing and such, and on top of that we don't really agree with this new mentality of going 75% off a few weeks after release, it's just a bit too much in my opinion (though we're certainly not against big sales in general). Trine 2 will probably follow a very different trend sale-wise than many other recent games, and we sort of hope that pays off in the long term. I guess we'll see.

And thanks everyone for the comments, glad to hear you are looking forward to the game. I hope it meets and exceeds your expectations.

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2

I was at the Frozenbyte site the other day... Checking open positions and meant to write a gushing letter...

Had run through Shadowgrounds (pure pistol baby) this past weekend, and it reminded me how much I liked the company... Loved Trine as well, even though I haven't finished yet (slacker!), and had already tried to buy it (steam didn't let me), buy I know I will soon.

Anyhow, good job, and give the rest of the team a hug for me : )

/gushing

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2011, 21:33 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:24:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:18:
Going to be some real irate parents when they see a bill for $60 for a game on a phone. I imagine the phone companies will end up doing damage control when their support lines light up.

What about this?

If only there were a way to turn off In App purchases... oh wait...

This is no different than any other headliners to get people blaming a game/company/movie/service/etc for ignorant parenting...

Course, I can't very well use myself as an example against this, as my daughter, aged 2 or so at the time, bought Angry Birds 'for me' on my iPad... And there's that time she bought 1 year of x-box live (because we didn't know the wife's purchase from months earlier kept the card around without asking)... Got that purchase removed immediately (glad they sent me an email about it) though : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Interview
14. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 21:25 Alamar

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 18:06:
I don't consider Blizzard "the bad guy". They are just not making a game I want to play, so I'm not buying it. No activism there. I was all over Starcraft 2 but World of Warcraft is one of my top 5 most hated games ever. It's all about the game, not the publisher.

While I disagree with your opinions... I stand behind your final statement : )

It's part of my anti-celebrity'ism... I don't care if <insert big name that's currently popular> spewed it out, I have no interest in crap (<cough>Rage<cough)), and will gobble up stuff by supposedly crappy developers/companies... Though I can't think of any at the moment : )

I would mention an Ubisoft game here if I could think of a recent one I had any interest in...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 6, 2011, 21:18 Alamar

Ya know... I didn't like having the retailers linked (instead of the title) originally, but it does make it easier to just skip all the Impulse ones...

Now, if it were put into a table, so I could sort it that way, and ideally, filter it, that'd be fan-super-tastic...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2011, 19:24 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:18:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:14:
That's what? 4-5 weeks for Skyrim? (Including a week or 2 of pre-orders)

Looks like Call of Duty: MW3 has shot it's wad. (Or was it Battlefield 3? I get them confused...pretty sure both were recent releases)

Almost give you hope, huh?

Hmmm... While Skyrim has lots of content... Isn't it also just 'more of the same'...

Seems to me, when someone likes something, they do want more of the same... And when hey don't, more of the same is an insult : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Bad Day at Day 1?
12. Re: Bad Day at Day 1? Dec 3, 2011, 23:16 Alamar

Wildone wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 20:26:
Thats not true at all, people at my company took a day off the day Skyrim came out. How many 'normal' job people could do that?

I'm taking the week with the 20th off, for SWTOR... Course, it's right before the holidays (4 days PTO), and my boss is also a gamer : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Bad Day at Day 1?
9. Re: Bad Day at Day 1? Dec 3, 2011, 20:23 Alamar

Crustacean Soup wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 19:59:
Dirwulf wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:03:
And overtime may be out the door soon.

Overtime pay may be. And it really already is in most places, if you read the original law and your state's labour laws. As far as I know it's that way in most/all provinces up here in Canada as well. IT people (which includes just about anything computer-related) are "professionals" and thus OT-exempt.

I'm occasionally envious of friends that get overtime pay, especially when it's 2x or more, but then, I remember my salary. And yes, it's a trade off... Sometimes I work long hours, or long weeks (no weekends), but it's not like you can be hired these days (ever?) where they don't warn you this may be required 'at times'.

As for game dev professionally... It was hard to justify even applying, because it would have been a multi-tens-of-thousands pay drop, even when I had a decade less experience.

And as for going indie... Just about everyone thinks it would be so 'nice n easy' to 'be the boss', but if you really want to know what 'over worked and underpaid' means, start up your own business (and this holds true for pretty much every field/industry).

-Alamar

1753 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo