Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1810 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg Jan 20, 2012, 14:08 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 12:29:
PHJF wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 12:22:
Obviously you and I have completely different definitions of "shitty engine". Short of CryEngine3, I don't know of another engine I'd take apart from UE3.

Considering every single aspect of UE3 was designed explicitly for the 360 (and it shows)...

Except for DirectX 11 support, amongst many others.

I'm convinced, based on PHJF's enlightened comment, that the 360 has DirectX 11 built in...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2012, 00:33 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:51:
Your representative's stance is in stark contrast to that SOPA backer link there. Ugh, this all seems like a nightmare coming true for humanity as governments start obeying corporations instead of the people that elected them.

Start? Really? Are you new around here? And by here, I mean earth... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
43. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 20, 2012, 00:31 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 19:34:
Julio wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 18:14:
This one's starting to have a DNF feel to it.

Well, to be fair, Blizzard has a track record of releasing amazing products at the end of their ridiculously overlong development cycles, something that can't really be said about that moron Broussard's crew.

Is it really 'overlong' if it results in an amazing product? Would it have been so with just a long cycle?

Wildone wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 00:09:
It aint comin out this year, I TOLD YOU SO.

No you didn't...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 19, 2012, 22:50 Alamar

UConnBBall wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:04:
Yeah but a textbook that can only be read on a tablet sounds real useful

The future is coming for you...

Any day now, we're all going paperless... Seriously... It's been true for 30+ years...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
147. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:49 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 22:45:
I find just browsing newegg for motherboards for a specific socket type will give you lots of names and models to check out. You can also often tell by the average review on newegg if its a bomb or a decent board. Like if its a 2 or 3 star average, probably a bomb. If its a 4 or 5 star average, probably decent.

Ya, this is what I was doing the other day... Lots and lots of options... Was just hoping there might be a consensus, as unreal is that is, including for reasons you mentioned (feature preference).

-Alamar

141. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:24 Alamar

So hey, since this thread has been off topic for like 50-140 posts, I would like to ask for some advice...

I constantly see that the i5-2500K CPU is suggested, because of price/performance ratio, so my question, which may seem obvious, is that if the price differences are now (and especially for me) negligible between the above and the i7-2600K, I should get the higher one, correct? And if the higher models, which I forget the model #'s are, are also negligible increases in cost, are they worth it?

And... I'm looking at putting a new system together based on the chip chosen above, and wanted to get some opinions on appropriate motherboards. I saw some suggestions when I was searching the other day, but most of them had 2-3 PCIe slots, and I wasn't planning on any multi-GFX card setup (and if I do in the future, it'd likely be a year+ away, for a new PC, with a new mobo with that feature as needed).

Oh and I'm asking, because I want to make SWTOR look prettier... <- on topic ; )

-Alamar

139. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:11 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 22:02:
...but if you come across as a close-minded belligerent shill, I doubt most people are going to be too interested in what you have to say.

Because we have enough of those with high post counts already : )

And actually, I thought you said shit, not shill, so perhaps not as accurate a comment... Except... Anyone who has an opinion that differs from mine if they like a company/game I don't is that they're a shill or fanboi : )

Oh and blah blah, 8.5k blah...

<Q3 sound/voice>Impressive</Q3 sound/voice>

-Alamar

95. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:18 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:07:
Alamar wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:04:
But really... Why not cancel right after you activated your account at/near launch? When I did it, I had no problems... I didn't wait until there would be a huge rush of people doing so.
Does it cancel immediately or after your paid time is up?

I would imagine in general they canceled so late so as to give EA the maximum time to fix the issues and give the game a fair shake. If they liked it a lot, they probably wouldn't have canceled.

Your points are good, but I still think it's silly... And of course, it's about personal choice... I pay for massives monthly... never recurring, because I know by the end of the month, I'll either be happily playing, and re-subbing (that takes like 2 minutes) isn't a big bother, but forgetting to cancel and wasting money is annoying : )

And I do realize I'm outside the norm, and outside the expectation... Most games that have 'exit survey's don't know to ask if I'm 'paying month to month'... I used to randomly pick things with WoW... Sometimes it turned out to be balance issues, sometimes vanity items heh...

And lastly, the only game I ever played that closed my account when I cancelled on the month I already paid for, was Finaly Fantasy Online... All others state that your account closes when the 'pre-paid time' is over.

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:03:
I would bet you have over a year of time played. A year solid, which you are embarrassed to announce

I wish I could access a global /played command for WoW and see how much time I played it... I bet it'd be over a year... And I would be proud of that... Or at least 95% of it... I left it running for entire days as an IM client at times, just for guild chat.. But outside of that, if I didn't want to play, I didn't HAVE TO PLAY... So time /played just means time /enjoyed... And what is embarassing about enjoying your time?

-Alamar

86. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:04 Alamar

This makes me think of the whole 'idiots and their money' saying, though I realize it's not really fair...

But really... Why not cancel right after you activated your account at/near launch? When I did it, I had no problems... I didn't wait until there would be a huge rush of people doing so.

Bugs are bad, yes... I'm not disputing that... They should refund anyone they attempt to charge, that has tried to cancel...

Anyhow, have fun ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2012, 22:23 Alamar

Blue wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:24:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:13:
Into Out of the Black

Awesome. Stolen.

Shouldn't that be 'pirated' what with the festive occasion?

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed
24. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 17:05 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 17:01:
I get DC'd a lot... And it's infuriating..

To be honest, I haven't DC'd once with SWTOR, and I have a level 19 Gunslinger. Maybe it's your ISP? I use Version FIOS, usually a very good connection.

Ya... it's quite likely only half (or less) related to the game, but I had to choose something ; ) At least I don't rubber-band like crazy, as was the case in CoH/V so long ago... Worst net design ever... Client prediction/verification ftw ; )

It could even be that my router hasn't been rebooted in a while, and all the ports are gobbled up by some other software I won't mention : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2012, 17:00 Alamar

Dades wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 19:26:
ninite.com has many PDF alternatives.

Microsoft putting PDF support into the operating system is like grandpa getting a skateboard.

And yet, it'll result in anti-competition/monopoly accusations and maybe, charges ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Amazon 2011 Top Sellers
17. Re: Amazon 2011 Top Sellers Jan 17, 2012, 16:39 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 15:27:
If every game from now on were made like Deus Ex, I think I'd be okay with that. What a fantastic game!

I don't think you would be... Give it two or three more games like that, and play nothing else, and you'd go crazy : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dead Island DLC Next Month
14. Re: Dead Island DLC Next Month Jan 17, 2012, 16:37 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:26:
Has anyone played Nation Red? It looks a bit too twitchy for me, but I would like to know more.

Also, are there any good zombie tower defense games?

Dude... Your timing sucks ; )

Nation Red was free this past weekend on Steam...

I played it, and didn't find it worth $2.50, which is ironic, because I loved (and bought for $20 or so), crimsonland that it was based on... Time's are a changin... : )

As for the game, you basically stand in the center of a map you can't zoom out enough on, get randomly dropped weapons, and shoot zombies coming in from the edges... Pretty basic gameplay... It looks alright, and it has coop (that I didn't try).

And then you play the next map, and it's the same thing...

Also, there are survival modes, and xp/levels (that award perks)... Getting lucky is a HUGE part of the game, as some of the 'right' perks early on will make or break a survival game.

-Alamar

20. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 16:26 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 15:41:
Ok, to those playing, give an honest review. Is the game the WoW beater it was claimed? Will you renew the sub?

Claimed by who? Every mass market MMO that has been launched since WoW first hit, has had rabid fans claiming it's a 'WoW killer'... The only true WoW killer is WoW, or more accurately, boredom and burn-out...

For the first few years, people wanted something new enough that while it was the same thing, it was different enough to feel good... For the last few years, people are sick of MMO's, lament the old days, or just can't put in the 80+ hours a week they used to, and think that's the game's fault...

Anyhow... SWTOR...

Will I renew? Yes, but maybe not this week... Why yes? I like the game... I like the content, the stories, even the space battles... Why not this week? I get DC'd a lot... And it's infuriating... Especially if I only play for a few minutes in a day, and half that time is spent re-doing an 8m space mission because it kicked me out part way through... In short, it has promise : )

Some major pros and cons?

A major pro, for me, and a con for some, is that the game is very solo friendly... I don't feel the same about a lot of people that claim it's a solo RPG, because it also does a lot of good things promoting grouping. For solo'n, most of the content is reasonable...

Some of it is easy, some of it challenging, and there are likely times you'll need a hand (from someone other than your companion). That last part is a con though, and can be annoying...

I like the idea of group play, but I want to go through the story on my time, and having to wait a while to get a hand (like because I'm the highest lvl in the guild) is a bit annoying (so having the option if doing other stuff, like space missions, to lvl and come back is nice).

Major cons? Other than the launch-time bugs, like the far-too-often DC'n mentioned above, the biggest is that it's still an MMO... I can't think of anything else specific enough to mention here, so I'll cop-out and go with that...

SWTOR has answered the genre's problems in it's own way, including lack of connection to your character, how the world changes as you do stuff, etc...

The first they do well; voice conversation really helps here... Your characters, and companions each have their own 'personalities', and it helps me get into the spirit... I like making Mako happy (on my BH), and pissing off everyone else with much sarcasm (on my Sorc), in part, because their voices fit.

The second, they tackle with class specific instances, which I think is a great idea, but does absolutely nothing to change the world as you do things, but I would argue (strongly) that this is part and parcel of the genre... WoW has a neat way of doing it (phasing), and has the biggest actual long term effect, but only affects a small portion of the world. I can't think of any other MMO right now that has more than a half-assed attempt to 'fix' this often-brought-up complaint...

Oh right, I just rememberd my one major con... Repetition of content... I don't mean that everything is the same... It is, by the nature of the genre... At least it's not green slimes vs blue slimes 10 levels later heh, but there's not much more the genre can do outside of 'fed-ex' and kill quests, even with some flair...

I mean that once you leave your starter world, the content is 80% the same for every character on a faction. So while I'm enjoying the separate stores of my BH and Sorc, I'm really not enjoying the huge repetition of all the other stagnant quests, in the same places, in the same order... I get around this by not playing as much (gaining rest bonus), and doing space missions (which admittedly are more repetitious).

-Alamar

Edit: Whitespace... no walls crit'n for you!

12. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 14:40 Alamar

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 14:32:
something I can get done 5-10 mins at a time

I think that's my gripe with them, along with being on rails in general. I'll start one and play for a few minutes before thinking "are we done yet????".

They could have at least done like StarFox and Ace Combat where you had full control in an open area and when you reached the edge, you ship turned around automatically. That at least would have been more interesting...

Ya... the lack of control is one of the biggest complaints... Peeps want a 'real' space sim shooter, but as you know, that's an entire genre all it's own. So they had the choice of adding a 'carnival game' version and get the game out, or put a lot more work into it, to please a small subset of MMO players (that also like space sims).

bhcompy wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 13:24:
More like in short MMOs are too easy. Need to go back to the EQ days. You'd be level 15 by now. Maybe

Do you, or any of the people that lament the good ol days of EQ, really want it back?

EQ wasn't slow to level because of any positive reason, like large amounts of varied content, or interesting stories to pursue... It was slow because they wanted people to spend more time p(l)aying...

I know there are some people that prefer it, but I can't stand the 'grind a spot' style of 'play' which EQ was initially based on... Sure, I played MUDs 'back in the day', and I even liked it about Final Fantasy I, but perhaps because I grew up, or more likely that my tastes just changed (and more options became available), I can't play grind games any more...

Sad true story... I bought the Final Fantasy online (XI?) game, played it for like an hour, and chucked it... It took me that long to see that the game was 'pure' grind, and that I would hate it... I'm glad I got to play some EQ in beta, so at least I saved $50 way back then ; )

-Alamar

10. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 14:28 Alamar

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 13:13:
The 41, I mostly log in for about 30-60m a day to do some space missions

Fuck, I should give you my login and let you do my space missions. I hate the damn things.

Heh... No thanks... I have yet to do all the missions I have available (like 16-20 across 3 chars). I enjoy them as a diversion and something I can get done 5-10 mins at a time, but even doing all the ones on one mid+ level char is 'work'.

-Alamar

News Comments > No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday
10. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:02 Alamar

Panickd wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 11:30:
The original Syndicate was an awesome game. Easily one of my favorites from that generation. I wonder how it's going to hold up.

Horribly, so maybe this comment will help... The controls... Are bad... People complain about controls these days, which are decades (heh) ahead of what Syndicate had : )

So now you know... and going into it, you won't be surprised; you're welcome ; )

Interesting phenomena that; when someone tells me a movie is awesome, I often think it doesn't match the hype... but when I've heard a movie is bad, or 'just good', I often like it more ; )

-Alamar

5. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 12:59 Alamar

zodden wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 12:51:
Illumin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 12:29:
While I enjoy the game for the time being I see them comeing to a point where its putting out content for lvl 50s or fixing all the crap that is wrong with this game either way they have their work cut out for them.

The game hasn't even been out a month. Whose fault is it that there are people with too much time on their hands who feel the need to get to the cap right away?

Whose fault is it that there are people with too much time on their hands who feel the need to post on forums? : )

Some people like to level... Others like to claim they've put in 200 hours before touching the 'main quest line' in some games... To each their own...

Myself... I'd have a few 50s by now if I hadn't gotten burned out some... I have a 41 and a 32, and the 32 I haven't touched in weeks... The 41, I mostly log in for about 30-60m a day to do some space missions, and maybe work on the class quest lines with the wife... And some crafting.

In short, as with just about every other new massive, getting to max doesn't take a lot of time... Quite a bit less than people (here) claimed they put into Skyrim in launch week (or two) : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2012, 22:54 Alamar

zombiefan wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 18:36:
I too switched cell carriers recently here in the US, from Verizon Wireless to Virgin Mobile, and couldn't be happier. $45 USD/month gets me 1200 minutes (anytime, no waiting until 9pm to make free long distance calls), unlimited data, unlimited texts, unlimited email, etc. at 3G with an Android smartphone. And since Virgin rides Sprint's backbone, I get decent service too. Haven't had a dropped call yet. I don't need to stroke my ego with an iPhone or newer Android. Just want decent service at a decent price.

-No $30/month bullshit surcharge for having a smartphone.
-No xx/month surcharge for data.
-No xx$/month extra for texting.
-Don't have to wait until 9pm to make "free" long distance calls.
-Oh, and I don't have to wait 2 years to upgrade or pay a bullshit $350 cancellation fee. Bought my LG Optimus V for $99 and can upgrade to a newer phone anytime I like.

If I were on a major carrier, with these features? I'd being paying double what I am now. No reason for it. If you like what you have more power to you. Personally, I like having more money in my wallet.

I'm happy for you : )

But the last part makes me chuckle... I like having $45 a month more in my wallet : )

That's $540 a year... That I could better spend on these $1 bags of Crispers I just picked up... Mmmmm simulated Dill Pickle...

-Alamar

1810 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo