Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Mobile Beta
24. Re: Steam Mobile Beta Jan 26, 2012, 19:23 Alamar

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:57:
necrosis wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:34:
Pretty hilarious steam doesn't have a QR code image on that site that directly links to the app item on Itunes or Android Market
When a link is perfectly suitable? Stop rethinking the wheel.

QRcodes are fine for something like scanning a physical product. Damned stupid on websites.

I find QRcodes are damn brilliant for website URLs. Most links like this I find on my laptop, not my phone so when they offer an app for my phone I don't want to sit there and have to look at the URL and hope its easy to type in (which a lot of the time it isn't) I'd rather just want a QRcode to quickly scan and be done. Possibly 30 seconds+ or 2 seconds with a QRcode...

Granted QRcodes should also be a clickable link to the site for those rare times i do find them ON my phone.

Oooooor... Just take the screenie you want to take for a QR code (even if you don't save it to a file) and use an OCR app to go to the link?

Wonder if this exists already...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: A teens introduction to an LP record. Jan 26, 2012, 14:56 Alamar

I personally found the ignorance of the parent more amusing...

Plus it looked rehearsed...

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Mobile for Android
5. Re: RIFT Mobile for Android Jan 26, 2012, 14:49 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 14:47:
Panickd wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 14:26:
The tagline should be" "Now you can take your timesink with you wherever you go!"

Seriously why hasn't Blizzard rolled out something like this already? Productivity would just crater!

Blizzard has had a mobile app for a while now, don't remember when exactly because I never used it because Blizzard charges monthly for it, and all it grants you is guild chat and some auction house and armory functionality.

Does it have guild chat? I know it is Auction House based, so I figured it was just another way for Blizzard to sell gold...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 14:01 Alamar

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:18:
Apple could release a new iPhone every week and the fanboys would just squeal with glee and kiss their posters of Steve Jobs some more.

It's also the reason why smartphone owners buy tablets. Well, it has an Apple logo on it! I MUST HAVE IT TO REMAIN HIP!

Creston

I love my iPad ; )

May even upgrade to a version 3 this march (or whenever it actually hits).

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Mobile for Android
2. Re: RIFT Mobile for Android Jan 26, 2012, 13:57 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:29:
An interesting idea.

'and about damn time'...

Even when GW2 announced their intention to launch with mobile based functionality (guild chat, maps, etc), it was long after 'shouldn't this be in already'...

Which sounds all negative, but my point is more that, the idea is so cool, I want it last year(s).

-Alamar

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus
2. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus Jan 25, 2012, 21:47 Alamar

nin wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 21:40:
Looks neat, but the "8 missions" sounds a bit short...

Short for a $40-60 game sure, but for a $10 game?

Besides, haven't you been wanting a space shooter, after playing SWTOR's 'space shooter'? : )

I'm tempted, but I need to force myself to play the games I already own, that are sitting there piling up... Or work...

-Alamar

News Comments > Minecraft's Information Quest
27. Re: Minecraft's Information Quest Jan 25, 2012, 21:19 Alamar

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:50:
I don't understand how game stats tell you what's fun about a game. All it tells you is what players end up doing the most. If you have a bad game design that makes players grind then all you'll see is grinding.

It doesn't mean players like it...

I agree, but consider how myopic your statement really is...

If YOU know that grinding is crap, but required, don't you think developers know this too, and will 'weight' that information differently than the optional crap you can do?

Let's pretend the stats say you spend 60% going back and forth two spots in Final Fantasy, to level up... but then spend 30% of your time doing some optional game/event/whatever...

What does that tell me? Absolutely nothing, because you're one person and stats require a crap ton to be even remotely useful...

And then when we have a crap ton (a lot of people have mine craft, and likely a lot of people still play it)... With that much data, it's great, because you can get about 30 different results/opinions from 30 different experts ; )

/silly

-Alamar

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
18. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 19:02 Alamar

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

As if grinding for gear isn't bad enough, at least we don't have to grind for skills and abilities...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 25, 2012, 02:26 Alamar

Cram wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 01:38:
I picked up TQ Gold the last time they had the same 75% sale for $5.
I never played it before and I've since moved on but according to Steam I spent over 100 hours playing it.

Buy it.

Every single time, I get that nastalgiac feeling and want to play some Diablo II, I track down my discs/box, start the long ass install process... Finally get it on and going... Play for 5 minutes, and switch to Titan Quest... : )

However, the game is too big... I have the addon, and I'm pretty sure I've never gone through it, including the playthrough I did months ago... Got into the new content... Played a bit, but was burned out because the initial campaign took so damned long...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 18:33 Alamar

F2P in 6 months... Mark my words...

Is that how it's done? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg Jan 20, 2012, 14:08 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 12:29:
PHJF wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 12:22:
Obviously you and I have completely different definitions of "shitty engine". Short of CryEngine3, I don't know of another engine I'd take apart from UE3.

Considering every single aspect of UE3 was designed explicitly for the 360 (and it shows)...

Except for DirectX 11 support, amongst many others.

I'm convinced, based on PHJF's enlightened comment, that the 360 has DirectX 11 built in...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2012, 00:33 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:51:
Your representative's stance is in stark contrast to that SOPA backer link there. Ugh, this all seems like a nightmare coming true for humanity as governments start obeying corporations instead of the people that elected them.

Start? Really? Are you new around here? And by here, I mean earth... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
43. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 20, 2012, 00:31 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 19:34:
Julio wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 18:14:
This one's starting to have a DNF feel to it.

Well, to be fair, Blizzard has a track record of releasing amazing products at the end of their ridiculously overlong development cycles, something that can't really be said about that moron Broussard's crew.

Is it really 'overlong' if it results in an amazing product? Would it have been so with just a long cycle?

Wildone wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 00:09:
It aint comin out this year, I TOLD YOU SO.

No you didn't...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 19, 2012, 22:50 Alamar

UConnBBall wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:04:
Yeah but a textbook that can only be read on a tablet sounds real useful

The future is coming for you...

Any day now, we're all going paperless... Seriously... It's been true for 30+ years...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
147. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:49 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 22:45:
I find just browsing newegg for motherboards for a specific socket type will give you lots of names and models to check out. You can also often tell by the average review on newegg if its a bomb or a decent board. Like if its a 2 or 3 star average, probably a bomb. If its a 4 or 5 star average, probably decent.

Ya, this is what I was doing the other day... Lots and lots of options... Was just hoping there might be a consensus, as unreal is that is, including for reasons you mentioned (feature preference).

-Alamar

141. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:24 Alamar

So hey, since this thread has been off topic for like 50-140 posts, I would like to ask for some advice...

I constantly see that the i5-2500K CPU is suggested, because of price/performance ratio, so my question, which may seem obvious, is that if the price differences are now (and especially for me) negligible between the above and the i7-2600K, I should get the higher one, correct? And if the higher models, which I forget the model #'s are, are also negligible increases in cost, are they worth it?

And... I'm looking at putting a new system together based on the chip chosen above, and wanted to get some opinions on appropriate motherboards. I saw some suggestions when I was searching the other day, but most of them had 2-3 PCIe slots, and I wasn't planning on any multi-GFX card setup (and if I do in the future, it'd likely be a year+ away, for a new PC, with a new mobo with that feature as needed).

Oh and I'm asking, because I want to make SWTOR look prettier... <- on topic ; )

-Alamar

139. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:11 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 22:02:
...but if you come across as a close-minded belligerent shill, I doubt most people are going to be too interested in what you have to say.

Because we have enough of those with high post counts already : )

And actually, I thought you said shit, not shill, so perhaps not as accurate a comment... Except... Anyone who has an opinion that differs from mine if they like a company/game I don't is that they're a shill or fanboi : )

Oh and blah blah, 8.5k blah...

<Q3 sound/voice>Impressive</Q3 sound/voice>

-Alamar

95. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:18 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:07:
Alamar wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:04:
But really... Why not cancel right after you activated your account at/near launch? When I did it, I had no problems... I didn't wait until there would be a huge rush of people doing so.
Does it cancel immediately or after your paid time is up?

I would imagine in general they canceled so late so as to give EA the maximum time to fix the issues and give the game a fair shake. If they liked it a lot, they probably wouldn't have canceled.

Your points are good, but I still think it's silly... And of course, it's about personal choice... I pay for massives monthly... never recurring, because I know by the end of the month, I'll either be happily playing, and re-subbing (that takes like 2 minutes) isn't a big bother, but forgetting to cancel and wasting money is annoying : )

And I do realize I'm outside the norm, and outside the expectation... Most games that have 'exit survey's don't know to ask if I'm 'paying month to month'... I used to randomly pick things with WoW... Sometimes it turned out to be balance issues, sometimes vanity items heh...

And lastly, the only game I ever played that closed my account when I cancelled on the month I already paid for, was Finaly Fantasy Online... All others state that your account closes when the 'pre-paid time' is over.

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:03:
I would bet you have over a year of time played. A year solid, which you are embarrassed to announce

I wish I could access a global /played command for WoW and see how much time I played it... I bet it'd be over a year... And I would be proud of that... Or at least 95% of it... I left it running for entire days as an IM client at times, just for guild chat.. But outside of that, if I didn't want to play, I didn't HAVE TO PLAY... So time /played just means time /enjoyed... And what is embarassing about enjoying your time?

-Alamar

86. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:04 Alamar

This makes me think of the whole 'idiots and their money' saying, though I realize it's not really fair...

But really... Why not cancel right after you activated your account at/near launch? When I did it, I had no problems... I didn't wait until there would be a huge rush of people doing so.

Bugs are bad, yes... I'm not disputing that... They should refund anyone they attempt to charge, that has tried to cancel...

Anyhow, have fun ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2012, 22:23 Alamar

Blue wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:24:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:13:
Into Out of the Black

Awesome. Stolen.

Shouldn't that be 'pirated' what with the festive occasion?

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo