Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1792 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans
4. Re: RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans Feb 1, 2012, 12:34 Alamar

Hasn't this game been out for 6 months yet? Why isn't it F2P?

Anyways... This is a good trend, and frankly, or perhaps, bobly, I'm surprised it took so long... Sure, some people can play for a whole year, only ever getting chars to 20 (in either/any massive), but the likelyhood of sub'n after a month or three must be much higher than the wimpy 7/10 day trials most offer.

Especially since according to Murphy, you'll end up with an extra busy week right after the trial starts and only get to play 1-2 hours on 1-2 days : )

As for Rift... I enjoyed it for a few months.. Did some raiding (server first even), but in the end, I didn't much care for the guild I was in, and finding a new home is too much of a pain : )

Plus the one button mashing playstyle for raiding, while refreshing in some cases, was insanely boring in others... I did enjoy the fight dynamics though...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo
3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 12:29 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:12:
Me too. I am so sad that they abandoned the turn-based brilliance of the first, but I am willing to give the pause-and-go system a chance.

I use the pause-and-go system at home, especially when watching movies... After eating mexican...

-Alamar

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2012, 17:33 Alamar

Labels disable, people...

Anyhow... Shouldn't this be shut down by the people/agencies that raided megaupload?

-Alamar

News Comments > On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility
12. Re: On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility Jan 28, 2012, 17:29 Alamar

Hump wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 17:21:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:07:
nin wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:36:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:05:
I didn't read any of the linked articles, but by 'disabled' I just assume they mean 'only able to play console games'. : )

-Alamar

Follow the Reddit link and read the attached image then...

But then my bad joke based on ignorance (while trashing console 'kiddies') is no longer funny...

-Alamar

'but it's not funny anyways'...

Don't try to be sublime here. Its like passing out a Christmas bonus to the crew of the Titanic.....

That'll only happen if the government bails them out... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
6. Re: THQ Layoffs Jan 28, 2012, 17:28 Alamar

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 02:13:
Yea, canceling w40k mmo is definitely shifting focus away from licensed entertainment for children. A lot more is going on.

Since games are for kids, wouldn't every title in their collection be cancelled? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III Cuts
62. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 17:27 Alamar

Draugr wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:58:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:17:
And lastly, as much as any of our Blue's readers want this in their (grubby little) hands (minus those griping about the 'new' greedy Blizzard), Blizzard wants it out that much more than you : )

Blizzard business practice as usual, with more visibility...

-Alamar

You put new in quotes, but in actuality Blizzard has been Merged with Activision for over 3 years now. You might not have complaints about directions they've taken, but to not acknowledge that they are under different leadership is just wrong. A lot of their structure stayed intact, because what they had works. That doesn't mean they still don't receive orders from The Activision-Blizzard umbrella. They are just expected to handle things on their own.

Actually, all I really mean by 'new', is that Blizzard has always been greedy, so yes, I don't feel that Activision is what turned them into this : )

AnointedSword wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:55:
However, to make major game changes like this, this late into the game shows signs of bad decision making by leadership within the d3 team.

While opinion is always a large factor, I disagree that the above listed changes are 'major'. I also feel that, again, this is only a factor because we know about it... If Blizzard didn't have such open closed beta's, we would know about a few generic features, and them getting cut wouldn't really amount to much...

In the end, I hold my judgement of the game until I play it... Lamenting (at that time) about features that could have been in, will happen, but that's also nothing new. I enjoyed Torchlight, even though I couldn't play through it a second time, and I hate that they cut (or didn't intend to include from the get-go - who knows) multiplayer.

And I realize this (game feature visibility) is just part of our gaming culture... Hype needs to be generated early, and people feel cheated when the features they hyped about are removed, as they are, in just about every single big budget game ever released : )

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III Cuts
55. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 16:17 Alamar

Couldn't wade through all the comments saying mostly the same thing...

But what I find curious is the reaction to the way Blizzard has worked (successfully) for what, 15-20 years...

Like any development company, games or otherwise, they come up with an early list of features, and flesh them out... As their long long ass development goes on, some features just don't feel as good in the game as they did on paper...

The choice at that point is to either spend more time on them, or not... Some features they don't like, they've been iterating on 'forever', and feel they're important enough to keep in... Others, not so much...

The biggest difference in this process now, compared to what it was when everyone loved Blizzard, is that they're more vocal now... Let that stew : ) They have always dropped intended features from every one of their (major franchise) games.

And while 'when it's done' means something to one person, I've always felt that to Blizzard, it meant, when the product is high enough quality for it to ship; not when every single feature they (or you) ever wanted in there, is perfect.

And lastly, as much as any of our Blue's readers want this in their (grubby little) hands (minus those griping about the 'new' greedy Blizzard), Blizzard wants it out that much more than you : )

Blizzard business practice as usual, with more visibility...

-Alamar

10. Re: On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility Jan 28, 2012, 16:07 Alamar

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:36:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:05:
I didn't read any of the linked articles, but by 'disabled' I just assume they mean 'only able to play console games'. : )

-Alamar

Follow the Reddit link and read the attached image then...

But then my bad joke based on ignorance (while trashing console 'kiddies') is no longer funny...

-Alamar

'but it's not funny anyways'...

8. Re: On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility Jan 28, 2012, 13:05 Alamar

-Alamar

News Comments > PC Orbitron: Revolution Announced
5. Re: PC Orbitron: Revolution Announced Jan 28, 2012, 13:02 Alamar

What kind of crazy world is this becoming, where an indie releases a game for a console first?

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:39 Alamar

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 10:40:
Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games.

Yeah if they do that then they really don't get their target audience at all. A lot of people simply can't afford many newer games at $60 a pop without trading in older ones, particularly an economy where luxuries are already under scrutiny.

Oh don't worry; like with Steam, prices will always be cheaper (lol) becuase of less piracy...

SirKnight wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 10:45:
Most people I know can not afford a new game price except every once and a while. I know there are a lot of people like that, especially these days so not being able to play used games will not go over at all.

Even though I can pay full price, most of the time I do not for the fact that I find 90%+ games these days are not worth the asking price. So if they do this, I will not buy the new system, ever. The Alienware X51 looks way more interesting than any new console anyway.

Aren't most used game sales $5 off the full price? That's all I ever saw (on new games), and wondered who the hell would buy those? Apparently I'm the unique flower, because it's popular as hell to save so little on an unguaranteed product... Course now you can argue the shrinkwrapped version is no longer guaranteed (both because they won't take back opened stuff, and stores like Gamestop open and re-shrinkwrap stuff anyways).

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Mobile Beta
25. Re: Steam Mobile Beta Jan 26, 2012, 19:27 Alamar

Xanthaz wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:41:
I am sure that any game I already own on the PC version will be freely available on a mobile device and vice versa. Assuming there is a compatible version for each. I am sure Valve would never think of double billing me for Plant's vs. Zombies right? </sarcasm>

This isn't a steam distinction... case in point? OSX games... One Trine purchase works on both my PC and mac... and using steam cloud save games, I can continue where I left off from the other...

Some other games (that I can't give examples for, because I'm not crazy enough to buy a game that's OSX only) don't... Because the publisher/developer chooses to separate them, probably because they believe piracy reduces their sales by billions (similar thinking to that where significant dual-sales would come).

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Mobile Beta
24. Re: Steam Mobile Beta Jan 26, 2012, 19:23 Alamar

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:57:
necrosis wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:34:
Pretty hilarious steam doesn't have a QR code image on that site that directly links to the app item on Itunes or Android Market
When a link is perfectly suitable? Stop rethinking the wheel.

QRcodes are fine for something like scanning a physical product. Damned stupid on websites.

I find QRcodes are damn brilliant for website URLs. Most links like this I find on my laptop, not my phone so when they offer an app for my phone I don't want to sit there and have to look at the URL and hope its easy to type in (which a lot of the time it isn't) I'd rather just want a QRcode to quickly scan and be done. Possibly 30 seconds+ or 2 seconds with a QRcode...

Granted QRcodes should also be a clickable link to the site for those rare times i do find them ON my phone.

Oooooor... Just take the screenie you want to take for a QR code (even if you don't save it to a file) and use an OCR app to go to the link?

Wonder if this exists already...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: A teens introduction to an LP record. Jan 26, 2012, 14:56 Alamar

I personally found the ignorance of the parent more amusing...

Plus it looked rehearsed...

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Mobile for Android
5. Re: RIFT Mobile for Android Jan 26, 2012, 14:49 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 14:47:
Panickd wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 14:26:
The tagline should be" "Now you can take your timesink with you wherever you go!"

Seriously why hasn't Blizzard rolled out something like this already? Productivity would just crater!

Blizzard has had a mobile app for a while now, don't remember when exactly because I never used it because Blizzard charges monthly for it, and all it grants you is guild chat and some auction house and armory functionality.

Does it have guild chat? I know it is Auction House based, so I figured it was just another way for Blizzard to sell gold...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 14:01 Alamar

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:18:
Apple could release a new iPhone every week and the fanboys would just squeal with glee and kiss their posters of Steve Jobs some more.

It's also the reason why smartphone owners buy tablets. Well, it has an Apple logo on it! I MUST HAVE IT TO REMAIN HIP!

Creston

I love my iPad ; )

May even upgrade to a version 3 this march (or whenever it actually hits).

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Mobile for Android
2. Re: RIFT Mobile for Android Jan 26, 2012, 13:57 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:29:
An interesting idea.

'and about damn time'...

Even when GW2 announced their intention to launch with mobile based functionality (guild chat, maps, etc), it was long after 'shouldn't this be in already'...

Which sounds all negative, but my point is more that, the idea is so cool, I want it last year(s).

-Alamar

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus
2. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus Jan 25, 2012, 21:47 Alamar

nin wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 21:40:
Looks neat, but the "8 missions" sounds a bit short...

Short for a $40-60 game sure, but for a $10 game?

Besides, haven't you been wanting a space shooter, after playing SWTOR's 'space shooter'? : )

I'm tempted, but I need to force myself to play the games I already own, that are sitting there piling up... Or work...

-Alamar

News Comments > Minecraft's Information Quest
27. Re: Minecraft's Information Quest Jan 25, 2012, 21:19 Alamar

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:50:
I don't understand how game stats tell you what's fun about a game. All it tells you is what players end up doing the most. If you have a bad game design that makes players grind then all you'll see is grinding.

It doesn't mean players like it...

I agree, but consider how myopic your statement really is...

If YOU know that grinding is crap, but required, don't you think developers know this too, and will 'weight' that information differently than the optional crap you can do?

Let's pretend the stats say you spend 60% going back and forth two spots in Final Fantasy, to level up... but then spend 30% of your time doing some optional game/event/whatever...

What does that tell me? Absolutely nothing, because you're one person and stats require a crap ton to be even remotely useful...

And then when we have a crap ton (a lot of people have mine craft, and likely a lot of people still play it)... With that much data, it's great, because you can get about 30 different results/opinions from 30 different experts ; )

/silly

-Alamar

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
18. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 19:02 Alamar

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

As if grinding for gear isn't bad enough, at least we don't have to grind for skills and abilities...

-Alamar

1792 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo