Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1827 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
52. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 14:59 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 14:33:
Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:11:
It does do the job, by appearances, of giving you something new to play with every few levels. It probably does this up to cap, but since you cant see any but the next few skills or runes you'll unlock, there's no way of knowing what all skills you'll get or runes you'll have access to until you get close to unlocking them.

The UI for skill/runes could be better, but it's functional and it's clear to the user what they are supposed to do. You CAN see all Skills and all Runes at the start of the game, so no clue what you are talking about there. I believe all skills will be unlocked by level 30, all Runes unlocked by 40. After that it's earning Rune points to upgrade your abilities. Want to see what the other runes do before you get them, mouse over them and read.

Blizzards skill calculator is here. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

Did you miss the big uproar about this change a lil while back? That calculator is not what the game looks/plays like any more...

The calculator is still handy for those of us that like to research out of game, but the numbers and the way it works/upgrades is significantly different.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: the best gaming experience Feb 24, 2012, 14:17 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 14:07:
You know, about 6 or 7 years ago i once read some rep says that of every 100 sales, only 10 ever play online.

Hopefully that means 90 out of 100 do not buy Diablo 3.

6 to 7 years is a short enough time, that I'm sure those stats haven't changed : )

-Alamar

36. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 13:56 Alamar

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:39:
i'd like to make an announcement that i've come to after much delibertaion: that is i've committed my full resources to broadening my game market, to possibly include thinking about an upcoming game from blizzard which may or may not be purchased at an as of yet, unknown timeframe which studies will show in a forward thinking approach to game purchasing that with due diligence and aggregated results which will generate a leading edge in the industry of choosing a game to possibly play at a synergistic moment in the future.

If I were a plus-one'r, I would so be doing that here...

Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:11:
You click on a slot to see what skills you can put in there but it only shows the first few skills available and nothing else, so it's impossible to see what kind of stuff you'll unlock at later levels. It just needs a lot of work.

This is likely a design decision... The merit (pro) is that people don't get spammed with a ton of information early on, that doesn't matter early on...

For those of us that want all the data now, we have online resources...

And I'm not saying it's a good design... Just offering what I think the reason for it is, and why it's good (for some players). Personally, I hate it... I want to know, at level 1, what all the skills (and runes, that you also can't see until level 6 at all) available are, so I can get a feel for what a class will be like. And I'll admit that it's moot, because I'm enjoying the combat (and hopeful it really is more challenging - not just overpoweringly hard past normal, or even just later in the story), and played each class enough to enjoy it (love AOE), so will likely play them all at least to the end boss Diablo : )

I hate that it doesn't save my gameplay settings, so I have to re-enabled displaying numbers (another thing I like that their base demographic doesn't, but at least it's toggle'able, like peek-ahead-skill-view should be) and toggling item names (on the ground), but it saves the graphic options just fine... Guess I should be thankful for that ; )

-Alamar

23. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 11:50 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:37:
Hudson wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:31:
Game is NOT in good shape. It has HORRIBLE animation lag they STILL have not addressed!

Have you tried buying a new computer?

Different people have different defitions... Hell, consider 'lag'... That's originally a network term, but since massives became popular, it's now a graphical issue too, and most people don't know the difference...

Ironically, the 'animation lag' in D3 could be a network issue... If you fire off a projectile, and you're lagged, it won't show up till it's halfway to the mob; rather annoying, but I guess a super fast bolt or, crazy enough, a client predicted bolt, would be crazy ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans?
19. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 11:45 Alamar

Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 01:44:
eunichron wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 23:15:

I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the 1 year free Diablo 3 subscription plan they offered in that quarter. Mean

Funny thing is you could purchase Diablo III three times over for the price of a year of WoW. All those idiots bored to death of the game signed up for a year just to get it free, not even realizing that lol.

HAHAHAHA ya... You're so right...

Anyways... I'm sure that everyone that signed up for a free game (assuming they stick with WoW for the year) is a bored idiot... Couldn't be anyone that actually still wants to play that game...

-Alamar

News Comments > BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC
18. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 11:16 Alamar

This is always a tricky situation...

It's possible that they are the one game developer that finishes a game by the time it's 'gone gold' and don't need to spend the next month polishing for the day 1 patch... : )

Being sarcastic/snarky, but even without that impossible situation above, it's not like the designers, artists, musicians, etc are doing much during that time (it's all those bastard coders fixing their mistakes : ), and most 'worthwhile' DLC is just more content, the unbusy people can get busy : )

I think it should be a standing rule that releases aren't followed by DLC for a certain time period though... They may make some sales, but these conversations (and potential boycott's) keep showing up, so they have to be losing quite a few... Maybe even as much as to piracy : )

Edit:
sauron wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:06:
Heh, just headed over to Origin - who the heck pays $80 for a video game? Good luck with that.

I paid over $100 for a game like 15 years ago... : ) Actually, I'll look up the date on gamefaqs... Hmmm... '90... So a bit longer than I thought... : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 11:36.

15. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 11:10 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 09:59:
We're going to announce something soon!

Ok I guess? I just want an actual release date instead of more non-news.

Agreed... My brain processes sentences as the words show up, so it was going good good good awwww... heh

For me, this is now a Day 1 purchase. I have really enjoyed the beta, and while there are still some connection issues, I'm confident they'll be fixed shortly after release heh...

Seriously though, I hope they get their shit together... I don't know if they're just not realizing how bad the game handles some connections, and definitely not from a design standpoint, but you'd think they would be testing with simulated bad connections.

As for the 'design standpoint', one of my pet peeves, is that the game/server/whatever is too 'stupid' to not save map status when you disconnect in the middle of one... It's really not that complicated, and is already part of their system, minus holding it for 5-10 minutes after DC... And yes, the 'solution' is to always play with a friend, but while the wife enjoyed it, she's not sold, so really, LF1-3M Diablo III playthrough : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Terraria Grounded
22. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 18:17 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 13:07:
Oh well, maybe next time. I would have loved to dive into modding for this game but I stay far away from anything without a rudimentary API.

What kind of modding (other than the maps mentioned below) are you referring to? I think it'd be cool if you could add new ores/biomes and of course, mobs, bosses, etc... But then that would only work for 'that' character, and would screw up multiplayer (and moreso competitive MP with people making their own uber gear).

After I got bored with the 'initial' game, I looked at some of the maps out there... Some of the adventure/survival ones are neat... I prefer them in some ways to the real game, because it's based more on challenge and progression than the luck of finding the right ore at the right time (so ta speak).

I did, however, after being more experienced with the game, start a fresh new character and large world, and play through without cheating (looking at a map). Some times sucked, like trying to find gold ore, with spelunker potions not being an option yet.

Anyhow, I am sad to see it go, but on the plus side, for me, this means no mobile Terraria, so less competition, woot : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 22, 2012, 17:13 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 16:54:
It IS an MMO as far as genre/gameplay type, except the open areas are instanced so that only you and your party are in it. That's why there's no subscription fee; they needed far fewer servers to run it. People that say it's not an MMO are arguing over semantics, basically (Uh-uh, it's not massively multiplayer if the only place you see other people is in town!). So why then do people describe something like Kingdoms of Amalur as a "single-player MMO?" Because the term has come to represent more than its acronym.

I agree... It's as much an MMO as Diablo II or any other action RPG with a matchmaking system.

Also, Arena net finally admitted years later (too lazy to look up the source) that it wasn't an MMO : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

I highly recommend not giving up caffeine : )

I had a day long headache when I did, so if you can do it 'for good', fine, but if you do it weekly, it's annoying : )

For me, it's been recent enough that I remember the annoyance, so I haven't had any, but in a few weeks/months, who knows : )

-Alamar

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 22, 2012, 14:31 Alamar

Morgan19 wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 14:22:
Not necessarily. I received a "thank you for applying" email shortly after submitting. I imagine they're just overloaded if everyone's trying to suddenly sign up at once.

Ya, I was wrong... Looking at the FAQ...

How do I verify if I am eligible for a Guild Wars 2 Beta Event?
When you finish the Beta Event sign-up process, you will receive e-mail confirmation that your application has been accepted for consideration.

I didn't receive an email confirmation after submitting my information to the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event sign-up.
You must use a valid e-mail address to participate in a Guild Wars 2 Beta Event. Check your junk or spam folder if you didn't receive it. You can resend your confirmation e-mail by visiting the Beta Event sign-up page

-Alamar

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 22, 2012, 14:21 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 14:14:
No issues getting the tool to work and upload. No issues with the website form. But, I still haven't gotten the confirmation email.

Oh well, this game was supposed to be out in 2009, so if I can wait from 2007 until 2012, I guess I can wait an afternoon for the email. And the arrival of my Vita.

Stupid waiting.

I believe the confirmation email is something along the lines of 'O M F G, YOU GOT IN!!!', so you won't get it until after the 48h period, and possibly never... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Retro City Rampage PC Plans
6. Re: Retro City Rampage PC Plans Feb 21, 2012, 13:44 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 11:29:
You honestly question where sales will be strongest?

I (honestly) question where sales will be strongest in terms of income, not units sold...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 Alamar

Not sure why this made me think of it... But, do you know what day cinco de mayo is on? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
21. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 21:40 Alamar

reisub wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 21:32:
If all the potential buyers of the game put their $15+ into the Kickstarter how would Double Fine make any money? I guess the market is bigger than the 60k that's currently contributed though. Still, they might be hoping people stop donating.

They have already made money...

When publisher backed, the 2 million is a loan, that comes out of sales first... Then the devs can make some...

In this case, the 2 million is a gift, minus the minor expenses incurred by giving out the kick-starter rewards. So all sales from day 0 go right to the dev...

-Alamar

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
12. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 15:25 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:30:
I feel like donating more money at this point. I put in $15 but at this point I feel like I should go upgrade my donation to $30...

Done! You can easily adjust your donation and select the reward you want! I can't help but hope this is going to be something amazing so I am extremely tempted to upgrade to the point where you get a poster for framing. I'd love to slowly build a wall in my house I "helped" make ala the walls you see at game studios!

I very much support/like your wall idea... I am so going to offer posters when I beg for money : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Reign of Thunder Announced
7. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 13:53 Alamar

Looks interesting... But where is the kick starter page? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Tomes of Mephistopheles Alpha
3. Re: Tomes of Mephistopheles Alpha Feb 17, 2012, 22:53 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:45:
This is another form of crowdsourcing, a paid alpha. In the end it's still an investment like Kickstarter since you have no idea you'll have a final game in the end.

Either way I liked what I saw and for $10 I gladly invested in this one.

But you get the game as is right NOW... unlike most kick starter projects...

Actually that's an assumption that's meant as a question... Grim Dawn is trying this too, but haven't hit the 'alpha' point yet...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
6. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 17, 2012, 22:20 Alamar

One of the things I don't like about Skyrim is that the main quest line isn't really any grander than some other big quest lines.

If the DLC has some more involved content, I might consider it, but still likely to wait for a substantial sale.

-Alamar

News Comments > Legends of Pegasus Website; Trailer
2. Re: Legends of Pegasus Website; Trailer Feb 17, 2012, 18:55 Alamar

I hate teaser trailers... Though, this one is worse in some ways... Teaser's are generally for well known content... Getting people wet for another...

In this case, the first half of the video is just a planet turning into a marble heh...

Interesting enough to comment (bash) on, but not to click... yet...

-Alamar

1827 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo