Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1765 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:00 Alamar

KS wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:47:
Darks wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:32:
KS wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:28:
Well, bought it, hope springs eternal. Took all night to download via update/patcher. Lots of sliders in character creation, including vital hip, waist, butt, and boob sliders. Face sliders (jaw, cheek, mouth) barely do anything.

Started tut with my char, it freezes for 5s every minute or so. I'll play with settings I guess.

What I usually do to make a char is use the randomize button until I find the look that I like. After that I fine tune it from there.

Yep, were having lots of fun exploring the world. its fun to find random mines and caves to wonder around in. If you are looking to get your lock picking skills up, find a river, they seem to like putting a lot of chest around rivers.

I know absolutely nothing about the game qua MMORPG. I am a sorcerer, can they lockpick or is it tied to the thief class?

I picked like 8 chests last night, as a sorcerer... I've heard mention of the 'lock pick skill', but I don't see it listed anywhere... The lockpicking UI is kind of neat... Definitely more interesting than Skyrim, though just as easy.

As for char creation... My wife spends an hour making a char, which didn't work well... Worked great on my PC, but then we got it on hers, and the char creation screen has fucked up lighting, so most of the character is darkened. Mucking with some settings helped, but didn't remove the issue. I went by her PC, and I'm like... pfft... good enough : )

My char creation process is step based... Mash randomize until I see a nice face/color/hair (as in, 0 to 3 randomize presses), remove scaring/tattoos/etc, maybe change the hair, and set height to minimum... Which backfired last night when my wife's char's head came up to my amazon's (only MMO female I've ever made) char.

As for the game... The skill system is very odd, and concerns me, and the combat isn't as bad as Skyrim's, but still a little too clunky. Otherwise, voice acting for every quest, and every flavor/useless NPC is... interesting. The minimalistic UI concerns me... I like features, and numbers... We'll see how things go over the month.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 11:07 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 11:01:
Suppa7 wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 10:50:
It's not that gamers are killing videogames, it's that us oldsters were abandoned.

Hehe.
"I'm important! How dare the cancel Harry's Law when it had fine ratings? Us "oldsters" watched plenty of it!"

WTF happened to Harry's Law... The first season was interesting, engaging, etc... The second season was just another law show... And where did that second floor come from? Time lord technology I tell ya...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Season?!? Mar 30, 2014, 10:03 Alamar

ColBlister wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 15:00:
You think there's a "season" for BBQ? Naw, son. What you got right there is a "season" on your gumption. When I lived in Colorado, I kept the grill next to the sliding glass door that led to the deck. With that setup, the man-stove is always open for business. Sure, you get a little BBQ smoke inside sometimes, but that just whets the appetite. Long as the wind doesn't blow out the flame, your ribs'll do their happy-dance on the grill just fine, even in subzero weather.

I have had to crawl over feet of snow down my ramp to get to my BBQ a dozen times throughout the winter... Perfectly cooked, medium rare, NY Strip... So worth it...

-Alamar

News Comments > WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend
7. Re: WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend Mar 29, 2014, 00:20 Alamar

Hopefully there's some kind of demo shortly before or after launch, or I won't play it until it's F2P in a year ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
39. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 18:36 Alamar

I wonder what the reaction would have been had it been Google to buy Oculus...

I personally see it no different, and in both cases, it's the best thing that could have happened for the company (cha ching) and the product.

I'm still not hyped about VR, or 3D, as I've been interested in those fads in the past, and will wait this time, to see if anything significant comes of it : )

But I'm more hopeful that a company with a crap ton of cash is behind something that is potential ludicrously expensive.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
14. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 11:40 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:34:
How come no one is talking about how flawless this was?

But it wasn't flawless... It was close, but many were affected by various errors, and today being the official launch day, we'll see how queues are at prime time...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
7. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 10:47 Alamar

I played for a few hours last night... Got my shiny new Crusader up to 18... And like most classes, they were boring for the first few levels, but once you get to 15-25 (depending on class), you get some more fun (damaging) abilities...

Some of the abilities are fun, though one specifically seems badly designed, at least in the way I play... The charge with shield bash is great, especially with the first rune, but holding shift doesn't prevent it from charging, however, clicking on open space does

I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach all of Act I through IV before checking out the new zone, adventure mode, etc, but I'm trying ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party
22. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 14:06 Alamar

I am looking forward to queue'n up around midnight tonight to give it a whirl... Not sure which char I'll play... I like new classes, though many are really boring in the first dozen levels, but I also want to see the new content...

Also been looking forward to bounties, because I don't like grinding/farming the same spot, and I'm rather bored of just playing through all the acts (which is why Crusader might not be first tonight).

Will be playing more Dark Souls II while waiting... Nearly done the first playthrough with my Short Sword (love that moveset) wielding Dex character...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 13:52 Alamar

I know your pain Blue... Headphones, and more recently, 3D glasses... Not many are made with glasses in mind...

I use, and absolutely love, my SteelSeries SIBERIA v2 Full-Size Gaming Headset, about $90. I find them still comfortable after hours of use, and the sound is great... I don't use the mic often, but it works well, and hides away when not used, with a bendy arm so you can place it appropriately...

They're also durable... Have been dropped a bunch of times, with no issue, and now my daughter has been using them... They also come with like 9ft of cable, in two pieces... Meaning, if you're using a phone, it can go in/near your pocket, and if you're far away, the extra ~6ft is great, like for PC usage.

The only down side is that they're not adjustable. It has an 'elastic' band on one of the top pieces though, so unless your melon is ginormous, it should be good.

I would go to a BestBuy/etc and try some (this, and/or others) to get a good fit.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near
3. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 10:04 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 09:23:
Logged in for 10 minutes last night and an orange dropped. Second time that's happened. Luvs em!

Looking forward to Tuesday and level 70 items.

I logged in for 10 minutes last night and no orange dropped. Hundredth time that's happened. Ergo, I hate you!

Also looking forward to Tuesday and new content/class : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Immediate Beta Access For Warlock 2 Preorders
5. Re: Immediate Beta Access For Warlock 2 Preorders Mar 20, 2014, 19:38 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 18:03:
Original was a let down - for me at any rate. I play Civ more than anything else so this seemed a natch. Unfortunately it's really Civ lite and it gets old fast. I can only hope they've added a lot more this time around.

My experience, as a non-civ fan, is the opposite... I quite enjoyed it, though I only put in a dozen or so hours. Being a 'civ lite' is a selling point for me ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced
21. Re: CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced Mar 20, 2014, 17:58 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:29:
Alamar wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 12:35:
MajorD wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 12:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 11:40:
10 bucks a month? That's it?

That is just beyond incredible.

Yeah, and no royalties either. What's the catch? Thinking

Maybe they're going the *nix route... Free software, but make money on training, support, etc...

Not that many Indie's would be able to afford that either...

I'm liking these engine announcements though... I personally used to be all over Unreal/UDK, but switched to Unity, which I think is more approachable... Not sure about Cry/Source, etc...

-Alamar

So what are you working on currently?

Hobby stuff, and mostly mobile... I wrote a nice random (room based) map generator in Unity, that I should really throw on the asset store...

Looking at using https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8606, and a few more BitGem Micro's, with https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7853, to throw something together... But the motivation curse hits me, and then, given limited time, I'd rather play, than build...

Doesn't help that D3 will eat up most of my time next week, for a few, then Dark Souls II after that... And maybe Infamous for a week or two.

-Alamar

News Comments > CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced
10. Re: CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced Mar 20, 2014, 12:35 Alamar

MajorD wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 12:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 11:40:
10 bucks a month? That's it?

That is just beyond incredible.

Yeah, and no royalties either. What's the catch? Thinking

Maybe they're going the *nix route... Free software, but make money on training, support, etc...

Not that many Indie's would be able to afford that either...

I'm liking these engine announcements though... I personally used to be all over Unreal/UDK, but switched to Unity, which I think is more approachable... Not sure about Cry/Source, etc...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Australian Server Launches; Reaper of Souls Trailer
4. Re: Diablo III Australian Server Launches; Reaper of Souls Trailer Mar 19, 2014, 10:08 Alamar

Darks wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 09:57:
Yes it is nin, but some of the loot changes like 2H weapons are still a no go. Why would anyone use a 2H weapon when using two 1H weapons give you more damage and better stats all around over the 2H weapon? No one uses 2H weapons in the game, the stats are still way to low on them. Use loose way to much damage and stats when comparing them.

I play as a monk, and Diabos drop all the time, but im still not giving up my 1H weapons. Again, the stats!

Krovven made this point in game a few weeks ago, concerning Wizards...

But, as I'm running a ray of frost build, 2h is the way to go, even if the damage value is a bit lower...

I had built my char around efficiency, so getting 15s of constant ray of frostness was great for some of the bigger enemies, but when I got a 1h upgrade, I switched, and that 15s was quickly turned into 8s... Yes, my 'mana' was sucked up twice as fast, and my damage may have been increased about 5-10%...

I looked into it and found a helpful post, and it has to do with attack speed using up resources faster, but not providing a dps gain... I believe this is also why whirlwind Barb's are 2H. Not sure, what in the monk uses this dynamic, other than the Tempest Rush (I think it's called), but that's not a dps ability.

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 16, 2014, 18:38 Alamar

I've played 20+ hours of DS II on the 360 so far (because I couldn't wait for the PC version), and it looks... Exactly as I expected... Which is not good.

It looks a lot like the previous two Souls games, with new assets, which is really shocking, since the 360/PS3 have been out for a decade...

Edit: After looking at the comparison video, I'm really hopeful for the PC version ; )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 19:01.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD This Month
5. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD This Month Mar 13, 2014, 22:21 Alamar

I enjoyed this a lot more than Lords of Shadow, which I've had for years, and can't be bothered to beat...

In large part, it's simply because I like me some 2D Castlevania...

-Alamar

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
2. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 19:55 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:28:
If it's not available on all platforms it should be a contender to begin with. How is everyone else to judge otherwise?

Indeed, only games on PC, PS3, 360, Wii-U, iOS and Android should be allowed... That's what, like three games?

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 13:05 Alamar

Holy crap... Dark Souls III is already on the list... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
2. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 6, 2014, 18:13 Alamar

Forty Bones...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
14. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 10:34 Alamar

Angrius Maximis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:12:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3418426

All the changes...all for good. Path of Exile fanboys kindly fuck off

Thanks for this; was a good read.

Adventure mode sounds more interesting than it did, which previously, for me, held just about nothing... I like progressing through a story, which is why I don't play MP often. Most MP groups just want to grind a few 'high return' spots of the game over and over, and that bores the shit out of me.

And speaking of loot changing playstyle or build... I just got a Legendary Pants item that any time 3+ mobs are around me, it drops a cloud of poison for 10s that does like 260% damage per second... It's crazy OP (which is what shiny phatty lewts is all about : )

-Alamar

1765 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo