Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1765 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Previews
11. Re: Morning Previews Feb 2, 2012, 18:21 Alamar

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 15:55:
Got mine last night as well.

With the amount of people that received them yesterday, I think it is safe to say the beta will not last much longer.

This was my original thinking, but looking at the later posts, and my own experiences, I highly doubt it...

I logged in around 6 ish I think last night... latency was ~300, but over the night steadily rose to 800 or so... At times the game was really unresponsive, such as being booted, but not really, and having to Alt+F4 (this is quicker SirKnight : ) to close it... WoW has had this exact same problem, likely for exact same reasons... requiring a network response to leave a game... Such a bad little bit of design...

In short, the game reacts like it should... Requiring you being online, and constantly validated is crap... I got to play the game with a lower latency/ping, and I enjoy it, but they also choose an odd thing for projectiles... Instead of lag making it go super fast (because you don't know about it until half a second after it started), it puts the projectile where it should be, but half a second later... All I really mean is, my spells weren't visible because by the time the server said yes, ok, you cast <insert spell>, the mob is already dead from it : )

There are a few other annoyances in game, like a stupid pop up that tells me that not all my armor slots are filled (you can't get shoulders and necklaces at low level), but they didn't think to add a link between that and whether you have an unequipped item (for that slot).

So ya, maybe it's close to being ready from a non-network point of view, but I highly doubt they'd let out something running this badly... But they've gone through this process before (WoW's launch sucked for similar reasons), so it might not take a long long time (months).

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Feb 2, 2012, 11:50 Alamar

Seems that a lot of beta invites went out yesterday... Stress testing? Nearing completion?

I got mine, then my boss got his (we played till 2am), then found out the wife got hers... If I had any more friends, I'm sure they got theirs too : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
8. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Feb 1, 2012, 20:57 Alamar

shinchan0s wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 18:58:
Oh look, it's Alamar, Blizzard's Shining White Knight.

I wasn't going to respond to this, because, seriously...

But the timing was too good to pass up... Got a D3 Beta invite today : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo
13. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 20:38 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 18:44:
Well, Silent Storm was real time until you ran into enemies, at which point it went into Turn Based mode. But, you could force real time by cancelling out of TB mode, which was actually pretty useful if you wanted to run up and katana some people, for example.

That's exactly how JA2 worked, but not how this game works. This game has more in common with Synapsis, which makes it a lesser game imo. It went from a 'must-buy' to a " maybe on a sale" with that change.

Dude... who the hell are you kidding? We 'all' know that if this game is on steam (and it is), you'll own it... I dare you... hell, I double dog dare you to not buy it ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2012, 13:39 Alamar

Wasn't your snowstorm also pre-winter? : )

We've had a few up here, but I've been able to maintain my shorts-wearing nonetheless : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Star Conflict Closed Beta Signups
2. Re: Star Conflict Closed Beta Signups Feb 1, 2012, 13:37 Alamar

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:15:
This is basically a fps in space that is called a MMO.

It's not clear on whether you thought that was good or bad : )

fps - first person shooter... So that already fits most 'space combat/sim' games...

Don't know that the MMO part adds anything, but I didn't take a deep look... Does look like it could be fun though ; )

And F2P fits, so hopefully Blue lets us know when it hits 'shelves' : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
4. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Feb 1, 2012, 13:31 Alamar

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:42:
I know that after Cataclysm came out they were changing the talent trees so much that some class's entire play style would change from week to week. I was already burned out on the game, and that is what completely did it in for me. You could tell that the ship was being steered by a blind captain.

On the plus side, you didn't use the word literally in your exaggeration ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Gotham City Impostors Next Week
3. Re: Gotham City Impostors Next Week Feb 1, 2012, 13:29 Alamar

everyone wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:35:
Any word on a demo? Or was the beta the demo?

Not sure.. I looked over their FUQ (frequently unanswered questions) a bit, and it was a pretty useless style...

Also looks like a F2P game, which isn't all bad... I'm slightly curious, but likely won't 'find the time'... Haven't played a good MP shooter in so long... I loved UT Excessive CTF 'back in the day' : )

-Alamar

News Comments > PROTOTYPE 2 PC Follow-up/Speculation
2. Re: PROTOTYPE 2 PC Follow-up/Speculation Feb 1, 2012, 13:19 Alamar

necrosis wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 11:57:
PC version delayed when it has a console counterpart!

Scientists also determine water is wet!

I hear water wasn't wet until PC games also shipped on console (or vice versa).

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 1, 2012, 13:01 Alamar

Oh that's right... That's why I don't watch Conan...

At least, the one without muscles...

-Alamar

News Comments > PC PROTOTYPE 2 Delayed
16. Re: PC PROTOTYPE 2 Delayed Feb 1, 2012, 12:52 Alamar

Looking forward to this one.. Thorougly enjoyed the first... Come on steam sale : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam for Mobile Released
10. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 12:49 Alamar

Trixxta wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 03:36:
My point is if steam on IOS supports mobile games (not sure about whether apple has allowed them to do this - seems unlikely) then game developers will presumably be able to bypass the itunes app store and the apple tax and deal with steam directly resulting in lost revenue to apple.

Similarly if steam on IOS doesnt support mobile games but steam on Android does now or in the future then that's a pretty good reason for gamers to buy an android and not an iphone. An interesting development!

I don't see any way that Steam could sell iOS games... iOS apps need to get provisioning profiles (from apple) to even function on a device... For development, that means you need the unique ID of every device you're going to test on (up to 100 in a year), and for the app store, you need a different one.

I suppose that if Steam iOS includes some 'jail break' functionality, they could make it work, but then, apple would just shut down the app itself...

On the other side, Apple had specfically made it easier for 'content sellers' like book stores and the like, to supply their own content, so that they could specifically bypass paying Apple... Sounds odd, I know : )

Now, if steam were to embed iOS apps into their steam app, that could work too, but that's pretty unlikely for others reasons ; )

Plus really, in the end... Why even use steam to buy iOS apps that cost 99 cents? : ) Sure, some cost more, and it's up the developer to set a sale price/time, and Steam would at least add some 'visibility' to your product at times... (one of the things the app store can suck for).

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2012, 12:37 Alamar

Don't know why you guys use that crap... IE is perfectly fine for me : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans
4. Re: RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans Feb 1, 2012, 12:34 Alamar

Hasn't this game been out for 6 months yet? Why isn't it F2P?

Anyways... This is a good trend, and frankly, or perhaps, bobly, I'm surprised it took so long... Sure, some people can play for a whole year, only ever getting chars to 20 (in either/any massive), but the likelyhood of sub'n after a month or three must be much higher than the wimpy 7/10 day trials most offer.

Especially since according to Murphy, you'll end up with an extra busy week right after the trial starts and only get to play 1-2 hours on 1-2 days : )

As for Rift... I enjoyed it for a few months.. Did some raiding (server first even), but in the end, I didn't much care for the guild I was in, and finding a new home is too much of a pain : )

Plus the one button mashing playstyle for raiding, while refreshing in some cases, was insanely boring in others... I did enjoy the fight dynamics though...

-Alamar

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo
3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 12:29 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:12:
Me too. I am so sad that they abandoned the turn-based brilliance of the first, but I am willing to give the pause-and-go system a chance.

I use the pause-and-go system at home, especially when watching movies... After eating mexican...

-Alamar

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2012, 17:33 Alamar

Labels disable, people...

Anyhow... Shouldn't this be shut down by the people/agencies that raided megaupload?

-Alamar

News Comments > On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility
12. Re: On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility Jan 28, 2012, 17:29 Alamar

Hump wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 17:21:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:07:
nin wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:36:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:05:
I didn't read any of the linked articles, but by 'disabled' I just assume they mean 'only able to play console games'. : )

-Alamar

Follow the Reddit link and read the attached image then...

But then my bad joke based on ignorance (while trashing console 'kiddies') is no longer funny...

-Alamar

'but it's not funny anyways'...

Don't try to be sublime here. Its like passing out a Christmas bonus to the crew of the Titanic.....

That'll only happen if the government bails them out... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
6. Re: THQ Layoffs Jan 28, 2012, 17:28 Alamar

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 02:13:
Yea, canceling w40k mmo is definitely shifting focus away from licensed entertainment for children. A lot more is going on.

Since games are for kids, wouldn't every title in their collection be cancelled? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III Cuts
62. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 17:27 Alamar

Draugr wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:58:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:17:
And lastly, as much as any of our Blue's readers want this in their (grubby little) hands (minus those griping about the 'new' greedy Blizzard), Blizzard wants it out that much more than you : )

Blizzard business practice as usual, with more visibility...

-Alamar

You put new in quotes, but in actuality Blizzard has been Merged with Activision for over 3 years now. You might not have complaints about directions they've taken, but to not acknowledge that they are under different leadership is just wrong. A lot of their structure stayed intact, because what they had works. That doesn't mean they still don't receive orders from The Activision-Blizzard umbrella. They are just expected to handle things on their own.

Actually, all I really mean by 'new', is that Blizzard has always been greedy, so yes, I don't feel that Activision is what turned them into this : )

AnointedSword wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:55:
However, to make major game changes like this, this late into the game shows signs of bad decision making by leadership within the d3 team.

While opinion is always a large factor, I disagree that the above listed changes are 'major'. I also feel that, again, this is only a factor because we know about it... If Blizzard didn't have such open closed beta's, we would know about a few generic features, and them getting cut wouldn't really amount to much...

In the end, I hold my judgement of the game until I play it... Lamenting (at that time) about features that could have been in, will happen, but that's also nothing new. I enjoyed Torchlight, even though I couldn't play through it a second time, and I hate that they cut (or didn't intend to include from the get-go - who knows) multiplayer.

And I realize this (game feature visibility) is just part of our gaming culture... Hype needs to be generated early, and people feel cheated when the features they hyped about are removed, as they are, in just about every single big budget game ever released : )

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III Cuts
55. Re: More Diablo III Cuts Jan 28, 2012, 16:17 Alamar

Couldn't wade through all the comments saying mostly the same thing...

But what I find curious is the reaction to the way Blizzard has worked (successfully) for what, 15-20 years...

Like any development company, games or otherwise, they come up with an early list of features, and flesh them out... As their long long ass development goes on, some features just don't feel as good in the game as they did on paper...

The choice at that point is to either spend more time on them, or not... Some features they don't like, they've been iterating on 'forever', and feel they're important enough to keep in... Others, not so much...

The biggest difference in this process now, compared to what it was when everyone loved Blizzard, is that they're more vocal now... Let that stew : ) They have always dropped intended features from every one of their (major franchise) games.

And while 'when it's done' means something to one person, I've always felt that to Blizzard, it meant, when the product is high enough quality for it to ship; not when every single feature they (or you) ever wanted in there, is perfect.

And lastly, as much as any of our Blue's readers want this in their (grubby little) hands (minus those griping about the 'new' greedy Blizzard), Blizzard wants it out that much more than you : )

Blizzard business practice as usual, with more visibility...

-Alamar

1765 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo