Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1697 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars Interview
2. Re: Guild Wars Interview Dec 28, 2011, 11:57 Alamar

Wildone wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 10:57:
Can anyone say...featureeeee creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Don't worry, the creep will be in this thread shortly : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2011, 23:48 Alamar

This has always been a tough argument, and I am kind of surprised by the lack of support here, where so many love the indies.

On the one hand, it hurts to come up with a cool idea, and have it ripped off by a group with more money, but that's in part, the nature of competition and consumerism.

Blizzard is a massive entity because of this... They 'stole' the RTS concept and made it into a great (set of) games... Same with Diablo and WoW...

Angry Birds made a crap ton of money 'ripping off' some guys idea and cute'ifying it...

But all this is exactly what the industry (and really, just about any creative industry) is based on...

Doesn't stop me from feeling bad for the 'little guy' though.

-Alamar

News Comments > On The Old Republic Queues
31. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 Alamar

justice7 wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 11:17:
As for right now, there are 8 single player stories that are quite engaging to play through, and that should allow for plenty of time for new content to be released. I have read that they have the full development team still on staff, still working on new content.

Just want to point out, for those still 'on the fence', that this is a bit misleading... It's true that each class (not advanced class) has a unique story... However, that's like 20% of your questing, if not less... Meaning, 80% of your time is spent doing the same shit you did on your last character, and unlike some other games (WoW, for example), it is just about all in the same place and same order.

Each faction has 2 starting areas, but once you leave that one, you're in the same location as the other 2 classes.

But again, a lot of people seem to only level one character (even more so in the first <insert time period>), so you may forget most of these quests if you go back months later for your second char : )

I do recommend the game however... I'm enjoying it for what it has; a new/different story, involved story elements, etc... And I love that the wife and I can duo flashpoints, as they all require 4 people, but our 2 companions make up the other 2 slots... It hasn't been 'faceroll' easy, but once we learn the dynamics of a boss fight, we adjust and knock it out : )

-Alamar

7. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 22:33 Alamar

heh... I came into this thread to mention my results... And wrote a rant : )

I was going to mention how I haven't seen much of the queue stuff yet, other than about 30-40 min (for a 15m estimate) queue yester-morning at 11am, but it was gone when friends logged in around 6 (which seems so backwards; on a work day).

Tonight however, I got one of those DCs where the game isn't smart enough to close for me... Instead, it gives me a server screen that I can't log into, because I've been disconnected for real this time, and I need to relaunch... Which put me in a queue... Which then DC'd me, and restarted the queue...

I should take the hint and play some more steam winter sale games, but I haven't played much TOR today, and I wanna : )

-Alamar

6. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 22:30 Alamar

PropheT wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 21:52:
Bhruic wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 20:29:
That an MMO would launch today without thinking that maybe, just maybe they should have character transfers ready for launch is mind bogling.

Well, if the game came out yesterday and you had to re-roll on a new server you'd be out one day worth of low level character.

Not that it wouldn't be nice, I guess, it's just not something I'd want taking away from development time pre-release when it's not really a big deal coming out of the gate. Doing it because of queues at this point just moves the problem around rather than fixes it anyway.

While your point sounds logical and what not, I think it's flawed...

First of all, because of an entire week of pre-release... Which are typically the servers bogged down the most after launch day. A week is a long time for people obsessive enough to pre-order and get in to early launch...

Secondly, because it's simply not your time/investment... Losing 'a few hours' doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's still a few hours wasted... Somewhat inevitable in other cases, like the reason I coordinated with various groups of people to get on one server (so that I didn't have group A on server Z, and group B on server Y).

Thirdly, this complaint isn't going away in a week, month, etc... It's still going to be the exact same problem and complaint with people that have put in a bit more time.

Also, a lot of people really enjoy fresh content... I assume the number is astronomical, considering how many people have a 'main', and it's their only 'over XX level character', so they're even less likely to want to see the same shit over again, even (or more so) a day later.

My thoughts/stance? I find it disappointing that free transfers aren't avaialable on pre-launch day... It's not a new concept, and working it in from inception is easy enough that it won't be the big fiasco it was (with WoW, for example, when it was introduced).

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2011, 22:11 Alamar

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 21:19:
Whoa! I just tallied up how much I spent this sale so far in Steam gifts. I could have bought myself Skyrim. Twice. Stunned

Oh well, I am pretty close to my goal of sending at least one gift to everyone on my friends list. If I haven't gotten you yet, it's because I'm eying your wishlist (checking it twice?) and waiting for the right sale day.

If I flat out forget someone, let me know - I'd hate to miss anyone.

If only I had known... Would have removed everything but Skyrim : )

Thanks again... Still haven't had time to play it yet, but hopefully soon (along with the 'cheeve' ones I bought : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2011, 17:53 Alamar

Holy crapple, that light show keeps getting more involved... and surely takes a great deal of dedication : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 11:44 Alamar

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 11:18:
This game kicks some serious ass and is a ton of fun. Blizzard is so scared, they are deleting posts left and right that even mention TOR.

I think as they add content, they will not only maintain their player base, but add to it.

The queue conversation is pointless, as there are servers that have no queues. I could care less which one I play on. With the launch today, there will be plenty of people to play with.

I am also enjoying the game, but no, Blizzard is not 'scared', and is deleting/locking threads, like they always have, for breaking the TOS, which includes trying to promote flaming/fighting...

The queue converstation is pointless, for you... Those of us that don't want to start over a heavily invested char, or are playing with others that also don't want to start over, have queue issues to deal with... It's launch day, officially, so this is going to be a crappy reality for a time...

Just gotta do what I always suggest... Log in early... Don't leave : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Bunch of Heroes Free DLC
6. Re: Bunch of Heroes Free DLC Dec 19, 2011, 23:35 Alamar

Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 22:41:
They shoulda made the gift bag achieve wave 15 in survival, not wave 20. Plus the game keeps crashing and disconnecting which makes it very difficult even if you have a good team.

Indeed and indeed.. This was my experience... Tried it solo, and it doesn't seem to care that it's solo... So I said fuck it, tried an online game... got to 14th or 15th and crashed...

I hope the other 3 made it, but ya... I'd like my money back : )

I do hope to give the campaign a go at some point though... But I did think there was more to this game... Course, I bought Crimsonland way back for $20, so ya... I'm not sure what my point is : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Code Issues
30. Re: The Old Republic Code Issues Dec 19, 2011, 23:32 Alamar

Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 22:49:
PropheT wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 20:28:
Origin isn't necessary to play this game.
Didn't I read somewhere that you have to make an origin account to install the game?

I pretty much guarantee that you did : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Code Issues
20. Re: The Old Republic Code Issues Dec 19, 2011, 19:56 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:35:
Got in to the early access Friday and tonight is the first time I have managed to peel myself away to catch up on world events because of the downtime.

It's really good, even the crafting can be exciting!

Slicing is OP... You're literally gathering containers of money...

All gathering skills can make money, but skipping the middle man is great : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Trailer
5. Re: The Old Republic Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 00:01 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 22:42:

Just got my account setup, since amazon is shipping orders early. 25 minute wait/300 in queue on my server.

At least in the short term, looking at server queues, I'd say it's easily a success. Fun part is what it looks like in 6 months.

I feel for ya... No queues for us on Sith Wyrm (Empire) though : )

We got our SI's to 16 tonight... Should finish out this planet and get our rides early tomorrow. Then finally I'll get to see some new content : )

She's loving the story driven aspect.

-Alamar

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Announced
38. Re: PC Alan Wake Announced Dec 14, 2011, 22:31 Alamar

Is it odd that I didn't know this wasn't already out for PC?

I think I recall a bunch of hype, and then nothing... And that's literally all I know about it...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 14, 2011, 22:27 Alamar

I loved the original Monkey Island, so I can't really imagine liking the new ones... That seems ironic to me.

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 20:28 Alamar

LgFriess wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:57:
Anybody know how open this world is? I was a little (lot) disappointed in some of the beginning areas of SWTOR. The space felt very confined. I understand they do this to properly push the story aspect but I'm just a fan of big, open worlds to explore (loving Skyrim). WoW initially gave me this "big world to explore" feeling.

And ya, I'm aware that SWTOR does get "bigger" as you level.

Well, with GW2, one of the goals, since it has no end game, is that you can go back to early content, and still be 'challenged'...

Like City of Heroes/Villains, they split your level into two; combat and 'other'... So while you may be level 80, if you go to a lvl 5 zone, you'll get knocked down to 'effective lvl 8' or so...

Due to that, and since there is no story pushing you forward (in the open world), the whole thing is one big blob of quests (dynamic events). So ya, it will feel more open than SWTOR in that regard.

We'll see how well the system works... I personally like being able to 'go back' and rip through the content; like running friends through dungeons/quests, etc...

-Alamar

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2011, 20:23 Alamar

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:12:
Awwww, your first ignore! How cute!

They say the first one keeps a special place in your heart for all time.

Creston

Ya... I hate the idea of adding someone to an ignore list.. Because, the hopeful person I am, I'm expecting them to say something that isn't a waste to read, at some point...

But alas, I was proven wrong time and time again : )

And now you know it's not you hehe...

-Alamar

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2011, 17:49 Alamar

Hey Blue...

Now that I'm ignoring one person... I have a feature request...

Could ignored people's avatars be hidden at the same time the post is 'filtered'? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers
3. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 13, 2011, 22:02 Alamar

Is this the patch that makes it fun? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 13, 2011, 21:41 Alamar

I read this the last time it was posted (or at least, the related, nearly the same content one), and it still makes me giggle...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
46. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 21:31 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 12:46:
My review for this game is the same as Spinal Tap got for Shark Sandwich. See you all in 3 months when you've finished EVERYTHING there is to do in this game and you're begging to get into GW2. Fools and their money.

I may be done SWTOR in 3 months... But that's still 2 months more content than GW2 will have...

I realize idiocy isn't contagious, but it still scares me how close you live.

-Alamar

1697 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo