Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1764 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming
7. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Irregardless of all the 'cashing in on the kick starter hype', this could be the week the world of PC gaming takes a huge turn...

On the one hand, I won't support big companies like DF/etc, because I think it's wasted dollars that would be better off helping 'start ups', but on the other, a few great successes can make this a feasible alternative, and hopefully come up with some neat new genres, or additions to. And who better to pay for classics updating than a bunch of cranky BluesNewsian curmudgeons : )

I am highly doubtful this will turn out to be a grand success; big (and little) devs will continue to go over budget, and in this case, no one will be around to extend times available or bail them out. I know a lot of people feel that's no different than the publisher backed model, but I do : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale
6. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 21:58 Alamar

Thanks for the recommendations... Bought a copy for myself and my boss : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
49. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 11:48 Alamar

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 07:25:
InBlack wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 04:10:
(Sorry even though Im not an advocate of mainstream capitalism, I think its a pretty stupid idea to donate money to someone who can use that capital with no liability and obligation to return any investment)
I think a lot of people don't understand what kickstarter is about. Its NOT a donation! Nearly all the kickstarter projects I've looked at give you a copy of the work in question after its done for a certain level of funding. $15 on double fine gets you a copy of the game and the documentary. Its basically a pre-order. It's been the same for the other things I've kickstarted such as Stardrive ($10 for a copy of a game that looks like it will be similar to master of orion).

There IS an obligation, and in fact its laid out in a project's kickstarter page. They almost always have a estimated time of completion too. I don't think they are free to use the funding for WTF ever they want either, they need to use it on whatever project they are kickstarting.

For double fine, they are estimating 6-8 months of completion time for this project.

I'm not seeing liability or obligation in your response... Sure, you use the word... But other than 'bad press' (and the inability to do another kickstarter project), what do funded projects that don't go to completion do? They've spent all the kickstarter capital, but for whatever reasons (developers constantly go over budget - one of the main reasons they need publishers), they run out, what happens?

In this case, I would assume Double Fine would just finish the project, as would any other 'well known' company, for fear of the bad PR, unless of course, they file for bankruptcy : )

Edit: I see that I should read the whole thread first... But as for it following someone's career... Sure, if they have a big enough name... Though I'll admit, I don't look at names as much as others... I remember when the gaming industry was desparately trying to celebritize some game developer names, and obviously it has worked... Me? I don't know the name Tim Schaefer or Ron Gilbert, but I've played, and even enjoyed, some of the games mentioned in these threads : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2012, 11:56.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

I really need to play God of War... Was one of the games (the dual pack) I picked up when I got my PS3 last year... that I played around with for about a month, and haven't touched since...

So I have 3 games still in shrink wrap... And another 2 that I got partway through heh...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
43. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 16:20 Alamar

The pickle wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:00:
People who say they don't want or use origins crack me up. It's the same thing as steam.

Just like pickles are the same thing as cucumbers... And apples are the same thing oranges (to borrow a cliche)...

Oh and 1k WOOT... heh

-Alamar

News Comments > Anno 2070 Content Update
13. Re: Anno 2070 Content Update Feb 13, 2012, 15:53 Alamar

deqer wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 12:54:
My god. Fuck games these days, with in-game purchasing and paid content shit. Seriously, go fuck yourselves. I feel sorry for the newbs that buy into this shit.

Ya... Paid content shit is... shit... I remember the days when all expansions were free... wait, what?

-Alamar

25. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 10:48:
Give him a break, it's not every day nin posts more than 5 words.

Perhaps not, but based on his post count, it is every day that nin posts : )

-Alamar

24. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 11:34 Alamar

Blue, I think you let slip in a typo...

Surely "That is correct. The demo will be released for Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 on Feb. 14th! :)." shouldn't have included the 'PC' part...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 12, 2012, 19:47 Alamar

Creston wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 19:30:
So, any verdicts on Kingdoms of Amalur?

Creston

You can run around as a 'mage' using dual chakrams for (medium) ranged damage combos... fun stuff : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets
16. Re: Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets Feb 12, 2012, 14:46 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 09:27:
Also doesn't help when you have associated one voice to a big tv-role or movie role and suddenly you hear it in Skyrim, it completely jades immersion for me.

The stupid emperor in Oblivion was a prime example, and then there is that Dark Brotherhood guy.....

It depends on the actor... I've heard Patrick Stewart in various games, going back to Lands or Lore, and the first few seconds, it was like... hey.. that's so and so... Then I get back to the content (what they're saying) : )

Now, if it were Gilbert Gottfried, or bobcat goldthwait, that'd be a whole other issue : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Helicopter parents Feb 10, 2012, 14:24 Alamar

Ratty wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:56:
So funny. Right out of my favorite Everybody Loves Raymond episode ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cThuaPUD_Q

Good times... One of the few shows where I have the entire collection on DVD... Course, it helps that they were like $15 a season... : )

I stopped buying TV Shows (and movies, I guess) though... Takes up too much room : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 9, 2012, 01:41 Alamar

Played through the Scoregasm demo, and I liked it... It wouldn't work on Steam, so I went to their site and grabbed it.

Lots going on, and I found it a bit too easy at times, which is fine for a demo. Kind of reminds me of shatter (different genre, but lots going on, and similar graphics style).

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 02:51 Alamar

I was expecting a whole thread of bad comments coming in here... Nice surprise : ) Wasn't this the game people were talking about how generic it was? Like any other fantasy story isn't heh...

Anyhow, just played the demo, and one thing I really like, is that the 'mage' path can use weapon combo's... And Chakram's (a mage weapon) are fun : )

I regret not trying the combo for the scepter though...

Looking at the skill trees, that don't really seem to add much overall, do seem to add charge attacks to the attack chains though... Could be interesting...

I don't think it's worth launch day price though, just based on some of the bugs, and needs-some-work UI (clicking items, weapons, equip, etc is not only a tired design, it doesn't always react to my clicks).

When is the steam summer sale? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition Feb 7, 2012, 23:44 Alamar

Techie714 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:10:
WOOT!!!

And about time... now I only have to wait for it to be on (a steam) sale for $15 : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Press Beta
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:37 Alamar

Calwen wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:32:
Glad to see they're on track.

Dear Press,

Please tell Anet their game is wonderful and perfect and does not need to be delayed.

Yours truly,
~An impatient fan

The industry (and doubly so for massives) surely need more buggy, rushed releases ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 11:46 Alamar

Nighthawk wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 11:07:
I wish I still had my old Quake 1 shareware CD...

So you could ebay it for the big bucks? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 03:19 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 03:08:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 01:40:
Skyrim is STILL selling gobs of copies, even with a hugely-discounted game in the running. I'd say that's pretty impressive, rather than the opposite.

I've been told that the top 10 is based on sales dollars rather than sales numbers. If true, then it's a bit less impressive, as W:SM would have to sell a LOT more copies to make up for the sale price difference.

Which, oddly enough, is why they have sales ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
8. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 16:43 Alamar

pagb wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 16:31:
Why is people so retarded about RAGE and it's textures? Megatexture is a tech that will do better as hardware progresses... RAGE is 22gb and uses ~1,2gb of video memory in my system.

Why on earth would you want higher res textures? To whine about a 50gb download? Or to whine because your video card can't handle it?

I'll ignore the irony in your post for the sake of discussion.

But as a game where the PC version is limited by outdated consoles, hardware has already progressed quite a bit, and considering the number of complaints, I have to assume it looks bad : )

Edit: Plus, it's an id game; 'Superior' by way of graphics and nothing more. If their newest continues with flat gameplay AND it doesn't look amazing, what is there?

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2012, 22:49 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 22:20:
Space Marine is 12.00 at greeman for a couple more hours. No one answered me.....think i wil just get it.

This is really tempting, but I believe that, by the time I can put the effort into it, it'll have been on steam for $5, so I'll wait : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Previews
11. Re: Morning Previews Feb 2, 2012, 18:21 Alamar

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 15:55:
Got mine last night as well.

With the amount of people that received them yesterday, I think it is safe to say the beta will not last much longer.

This was my original thinking, but looking at the later posts, and my own experiences, I highly doubt it...

I logged in around 6 ish I think last night... latency was ~300, but over the night steadily rose to 800 or so... At times the game was really unresponsive, such as being booted, but not really, and having to Alt+F4 (this is quicker SirKnight : ) to close it... WoW has had this exact same problem, likely for exact same reasons... requiring a network response to leave a game... Such a bad little bit of design...

In short, the game reacts like it should... Requiring you being online, and constantly validated is crap... I got to play the game with a lower latency/ping, and I enjoy it, but they also choose an odd thing for projectiles... Instead of lag making it go super fast (because you don't know about it until half a second after it started), it puts the projectile where it should be, but half a second later... All I really mean is, my spells weren't visible because by the time the server said yes, ok, you cast <insert spell>, the mob is already dead from it : )

There are a few other annoyances in game, like a stupid pop up that tells me that not all my armor slots are filled (you can't get shoulders and necklaces at low level), but they didn't think to add a link between that and whether you have an unequipped item (for that slot).

So ya, maybe it's close to being ready from a non-network point of view, but I highly doubt they'd let out something running this badly... But they've gone through this process before (WoW's launch sucked for similar reasons), so it might not take a long long time (months).

-Alamar

1764 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo