Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1827 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 13:00 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:20:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:23:
Link is broken... but this one works:

Microsoft Bans...

It makes sense though. Why would you want all of your employees buying a competitor's product with your company funds?

Obviously their R&D department that reverse engineers stuff should have an exception. I mean, how else would they steal shit from Apple, like they always have?

I don't know, my company lets us do whatever we want, we're constantly checking out competitor products both in official and casual use. Hell my buddy works at Ford and the only penalty for owning a non-Ford car is that you have to park further away from the building. If the auto unions can't enforce that shit I don't see Microsoft getting a real handle on it.

That said, it just makes sense for the most forward facing parts of the company not to advertise that stuff, I'm not bashing MS for this or something.

Your comment makes me think you didn't read more than the headline...

'for owning a non-Ford car'... How is an employee's properly in any way related to this article?

Perhaps you're thinking back to a similar headline many years ago where MS employees were using non-white headphones (to hide that they were using) with their iPods, when Zune (is that what it was called) was being pushed internally.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
18. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 12:33 Alamar

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:48:
wusel wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:22:
Item shop unlocks are for "account services and on time-saving convenience". To generate a demand for "time-saving convenience"-items, Anet must have left inconvenient game mechanics in the game ..so much for the promise of "no grind, just fun".

That statement there is a bit of a leap. Inconvenient game mechanics doesn't exclude fun. Most game activities generate gold naturally (eg. quests). So unless you tend to play your games by computing how to maximize gold gain, rather than you know enjoying yourself, then it's not exactly a grind. Or rather, it's only a grind if you make it one. Yes some games can create grinds (a la WoW or Lineage), but I'm inclined to at least give ArenaNet the benefit of the doubt that they've added enough variety through their personal stories and dynamic events that the game itself will stay fresh.

Your post screams naivety to me... So I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like you're saying WoW can be grindy, but GW2 isn't going to be because you earn gold while playing?

If the costs in GW2 take a day or two each, that might seem reasonable, but once you have to play, at max level, for a week (or play the AH), to buy one measely little item/buff/whatever, that's a whole different thing.

Also, this is the exact style of 'microtransactions' that has made mobile games so much money... You can play and play and play and unlock things as you go, or just pull out some cash and get it NOW... I personally like that the choice is there, but the counter-argument is that the game is purposefully slowed to 'make' people buy the currency instead...

-Alamar

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend Mar 21, 2012, 12:22 Alamar

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:14:
Just long enough to see most of what is positive about the game, but not long enough to experience most of the negatives. I wish this game had lived up to its hype and potential.

Isn't this precisely the nature of what a game demo is?

Or a movie trailer... If I had a nickel for every trailer I enjoyed, but the movie contained 'no' new information... I likely would have spent it on candy... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming?
18. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 Alamar

I really need to play Demon Souls... It's still shrink wrapped, from when I bought my PS3 like 8 months ago...

-Alamar

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Update; Fargo Says: "Kick It Forward"
7. Re: Wasteland 2 Update; Fargo Says: Mar 21, 2012, 11:30 Alamar

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:22:
I just wonder what the first major kickstarted project that will implode under poor management will be. It will be interested to see how much excitement will be left for this model then.

Which is partly why they're all jumping on the bandwagon this early...

-Alamar

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
29. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:43 Alamar

I guess I'm in the category of 'most likely done with WoW'... I have no hate on for the next expansion... Though I do find the Kung Fu Panda silly, but then, what do you expect when WoW was the first massive ever made? See where I'm going? : )

Anyhow... I have played since launch (or pre-launch for those measuring), but I haven't actively sub'd the whole time; Even from the first 'omg this is new, shiny awesomeness' year, I took breaks... So that never stopped, but this last one, has been about a year, so like I said... I guess I'm done...

And like someone said, if there's a dry spell (and I can't force myself to play the dozen+ unplayed (or replayed) steam sale games), I could see myself trying it out again after mists... Maybe after the scroll is upgraded, so I get mists for free : )

Also... Spellforce games are on for the cheap on steam today... I just picked up the whole thing, even though I have Shadow Wars in a box (moving in 2 weeks)... I really enjoyed Shadow Wars, though the game seems too big in some ways. Anyhow, I recommend it at $3.74 or whatever for Spellforce 2 (haven't played 1 yet, so can't recommend it yet : ).

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 19, 2012, 21:21 Alamar

Is eurogamer.net like the onion and other farce sites?

While WoW and other 3D 3rd person massives end up on a mobile device, why else would they just shrink a desktop screenie to portray it?

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2012, 18:56 Alamar

I'm confused.. Should they be dying if their video isn't funny, or the viewer?

-Alamar

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
10. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 15:49 Alamar

I just want a new Spaceward Ho!

-Alamar

News Comments > Grim Dawn Trailer
10. Re: Grim Dawn Trailer Mar 17, 2012, 10:56 Alamar

For those waiting eagerly, they're doing their own kickstarter/minecraft/alpha-purchasing like thing... Though the opposite of Minecraft, as the sooner you play it, the more it costs...

But nonetheless, the option to support now is there, and even play it, at some point in alpha, beta, or release, depending on how much you donate : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Features
12. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Features Mar 16, 2012, 18:42 Alamar

Bought a house... Moving in to it in a few weeks... First plan for all that extra room? LAN party... Quite likely Borderlands, but the four player limit, for an actual LAN party sucks..

Really not sure what else to get going, that a lot of us would like... For FPS otherwise, it looks like we may have to go back a decade (and teach them all about the joys of Excessive UT : ).

Any suggestions for 5-8 players?

Will likely do it about monthly, so Diablo 3 will be in there in May, and Borderlands 2 late in the year : ) But again, both will have 4 player limits... That is a 'PC feature' I would like to see 'added' (more than four that is).

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III May 15th
169. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:32 Alamar

McJammiepants wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:21:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:08:
Yawn. So, is anyone actually looking forward to this game? I thought the beta was quite fun. The online thing doesn't bother me, maybe because I play so many MMOs and online games.

I am. I think half the reason these games don't induce the boners they used to is because the fans aren't 15 anymore, and have their left hemispheres WAAAYY too involved. This is exemplified by most of the posts below. Seriously, many of you are thinking much too much about this, and therefor have yourselves to blame for a lack of enjoyment, and no one else.

This is another way of saying 'ignorance is bliss' : )

And I don't mean that in an insulting way; we are all ignorant of so many things.

-Alamar

153. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 20:50 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:24:
Clearly, I have no clue what I'm talking about. Yet, here is a Blizzard employee stating all the same things myself and others here have stated regarding D3.

From your link -

"We thought about this quite a bit," said executive producer Rob Pardo earlier this week. "One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online."

This is about as lame a fucking reason as I ever heard (on top of your incorrect crap) and still DOES NOT indicate a valid reason for dropping a OFFLINE SP Mode that was a staple in D1 and D2. This given "reason" above is an opinion, not a fact. Any dumbass who created a true offline character KNEW they could not xfer it into B.NET. If I remember right, the UI even told you the SP character could not be used on B.NET so you knew right up front.

I'm seeing the problem... You're citing factual situations as opinions, and stating your opinions as facts... Great debate tactic, but amateurish.

Let me spell it out though, just in case...

Factual - 'But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.'

Opinion - 'lame a fucking reason', 'DOES NOT indicate a valid reason'

Seeing the difference yet?

I'm all for differing views, and discussion is healthy, but try to stay within the rules of what english consitutes, please : )

Edit:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:47:
There's 2 reasons it's online only and not because Diablo is a "Online game" as you keep trying to convince people to be the case.

Actually, there is only one reason, and it has never been different with Blizzard; money. Many people are upset, because Blizzard, to them, was a bastion of light, and think a merger changed things, and apparently abruptly...

-Alamar

131. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:43 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:09:
So where's Wildone? I'd like to get a statement from Mr "AHAHaHAHAHAHAHAH aHAHAHHAHA Q4 2014!!!!!! AHaHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHA H AH HAHAHAHA H"...

That was a pretty good impersonation... Do you do parties?

-Alamar

96. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:39 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:32:
It's not a substantial change.

Right, taking away an entire mode is not a substantial change... Dammit Gump, your a genius!

Thanks for making my point that peoples issue with this is almost entirely due to their own mindset of how things should be and their resistance to change

Yeah... their own mindset... right...

How would changing the name to "World of Diablo" would change sweet fuck all other than your narrow minded perception? Name change and suddenly all the features make sense to you? /facepalm

Hmmm.. lets see Gump, worked pretty well for WarCraft... went from a SP/MP to an online only model... and they changed it to... wait for it.... here it comes... WORLD OF WARCRAFT. /facepalm? Yeah... have some.

You're not really calling Warcraft IiI to WoW synonymous to Diablo 2 to 3, while at the same time calling someone retarded (Gump)?

Really?

Also, remind me what substantial 'entire mode' change there was again? That the single player game, which still exists, requires a connection? I'm not seeing the substantial, or entire parts of that change...

-Alamar

34. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 12:12 Alamar

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 12:05:
Finally all those fanboy posts like "AMG!!!!! I CUT MY WRISTS IF DIABLO 3 DOESNT COME OUT TOMORROW!!!!!111" will stop.

Only poster I've seen like this, is wild one, and he's against, so clearly not a fanboy...

Maybe you're referring to some other gaming site for kids, run by kids?

We, here at Blues, have mean... Real men... Real crotchety curmudgeons of men, but men nonetheless... : )

-Alamar

27. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 11:46 Alamar

PHJF wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 11:15:

I haven't put in any Demon Hunter time lately in the beta, does it play any better since the retooling? It was a really awkward skill/dual resource mix that just didn't flow well.

DH is just weak for DPS in the beta. None of the skills offer good, quick AoE damage, something every other class has.

Anyways, I've just been playing through the beta again and I am still on the fence. Feels like the magic might be gone.

This is half true... And I felt similarly (started a hardcore DH the other day)... Now that Bola was moved up in the 'tree', your only 'early' AOE option is the snare generator (forget the name), which hits 2 targets... not a big deal, but once it's runed (at 7?), it hits 4, and is awesome...

I personally enjoy the bola, because delayed damage is fun for me (as well as DoTs), but the 4 target snare attack is great on groups (partly because it chains, literally and literally ).

-Alamar

3. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 10:15 Alamar

On the one hand, YAY... we have a date...

On the other... I don't want to wait 2 months... : (

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III Class Skills
29. Re: More Diablo III Class Skills Mar 14, 2012, 16:01 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 15:39:
Krovven wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 12:50:
April 17th certainly seems plausible. Beta testers only have a small part of the game to go by, but it's pretty solid. Game improved drastically with Patch 13, with the entry of Runes. Patch 14 enabled Hardcore mode.
Yeah I've been in the beta for quite some time. Normal was way too easy, it's by far harder now. Much more intune with what I remember from diablo/2. I'm just glad they fixed some of the serious skill bugs that were in p12. Nothing like breaking the ability to interact with the environment.

I'm fine with this, because it's the first wee bit of the game, but...

The beta, until patch 14, was a silly joke of a non-challenge... Even without pimped out BS gear... I died once, because I didn't know the game wouldn't pause when I alt tabbed (unless I hit escape first)...

Since patch 14 though, I did legitimately die once, but that was only because I decided, 'what the hell, it's beta, I'll try hardcore'...

Makes me wonder how long after launch the first hardcore 60's will show up... Saw someone suggest a 'feat of strength' for getting a hardcore char to max (or rather, 'beat the game', whichever version that means) before a normal char. Neat idea, but since you only have one shot at it, I don't like it : )

afk, back to my hardcore demon hunter. Level 9 and climbing ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Gratuitous Tank Battles Preorders Get Beta Access
4. Re: Gratuitous Tank Battles Preorders Get Beta Access Mar 13, 2012, 18:29 Alamar

So while I assume the game has a campaign (and story), and that it is early, and beta, I still wanted to suggest a trailer with more than just features.

Maybe I'm just getting on in years, and I do still like features : )

-Alamar

1827 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo