Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1827 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
72. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 17:24 Alamar

DangerDog wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 16:51:
Crytek has an excellent game engine but they really lack in the creativity department.

Developing a new game franchise is expensive but I think they should have taken Crysis in a whole new direction rather than rehashing crysis 2 again with a few improved visuals.

It sounds like they're going to diversify the environments a little more this time but that's only part of the problem, the "aliens" are so generic and boring in this game it makes "Space Invaders" feel epic by comparison.

The nano suit is fun for single player mayhem but doesn't work for multiplayer, it would be like making a Superman game and then having everyone in mutiplayer be Superman.

Good luck Crytek

epic Space Invaders... Exaggeration is fun : )

As for nano suit MP... Deus Ex... I enjoyed the MP in the first game... One of my few fond memories of the game actually, and ya, it had to do with stealth/invis...

Two things are inherently OP in every multi player game... and likely more than two, but I'm focusing on healing and stealth/invisibility... Though perhaps you're alluding to the speed/slow thing... But that's easy enough ; )

Anyhow... I don't get all the complaining about using a bow... Tons of movies throw mini-nukes onto small objects and projectiles, so even without going that far, an arrow, strapped with something explosive, can do a good bit of damage, even to a heavy ; ) C4 is a good candidate ; ) Better than curving bullets : )

And personally, if it's not on Steam, it's an unlikely purchase... Not because I'm boycotting Origin... Simply because it's not enough of a hit for me to do the extra (although minimal) effort... Which I do for other games I want to play (Diablo 3, Guild War 2 both already pre-purchased).

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
36. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 13:25 Alamar

Jackplug wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 12:00:
...amazing gfx but no gameplay.

Isn't that the definition of FPS? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
20. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 13:22 Alamar

Blegvad wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:51:
We let them know in the beta forums in agonizing detail for MONTHS about what the reaction to the game shipping in it's current state would be... and well, here we are.

I wonder what game has ever launched, in the last 10 or so 'connected' years, where this wasn't the case... There is always someone, or a group of someone's, calling doom, because their favored feature(s) is/are missing...

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans
15. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 13, 2012, 13:19 Alamar

PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:56:
But having said that, I think this could add an interesting level of strategy, but I wonder... at what point would you rather block than attack?

When the enemy attacks kill you before you can kill the enemy? Isn't that kind of obvious? You have two people in the back row who can still DPS while shields up front tank.

What's obvious, to me, is that if a block option was available, it would just pump up (temporarily) the evasion value, since that is what a block is in game already...

If it were a damage reduction, at 100%, it would be overpowered (why would you ever use your first two chars if blocking stopped all damage)... if it were less, it would have to be 50% or higher so that a fight taking twice as long doesn't have the same resulting damage.

-Alamar

13. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 13, 2012, 11:36 Alamar

avianflu wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 11:24:
there *really* should be blocking and parrying options.

The "right hand" icon is right there for each character and you can hold shields for defensive value, so it is ready to go as an option.

This is an interesting idea, but may be too much away from the design goal... That being, strafe-dodging is intended... You're not supposed to get backed into an area where you can't maneuver...

But having said that, I think this could add an interesting level of strategy, but I wonder... at what point would you rather block than attack? I'm already clicking like a mad man (sword, unarmed, and dagger on my fighter/fighter/rogue, and then the unwieldy casting means 'mouse skill' is important, even if I'm really just playing whack-a-mole : ).

-Alamar

News Comments > Nekro Kickstarter
3. Re: Nekro Kickstarter Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 Alamar

Can't go wrong with pooping pigs...

Anyhow... This is precisely what I don't like about the kickstarter hype... On the one hand, it's great that some people can pre-order the game for $15, and perhaps, it'll cost more at launch...

On the other, this isn't a game that needs our funding... This game is being made... It looks like a game that I will buy, but not until it's available (or just before), because if I'm throwing money at kickstarter projects, I want them to need the money I'm donating...

Edit: Also meant to add that I love the art style : )

-Alamar

7. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:57 Alamar

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 10:51:

I would really like seperate music/volume slider bars.

I'm hoping that happens also, as I looked for it and didn't see it there when I first started.

Secondeded...

Also, according to http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=754

Work in progress:
- Volume sliders
- fix automap bugs

4. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 13, 2012, 10:41 Alamar

improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch

The game ran at max resolution for me on first launch... Just about no other title I've ever played does that... They all start with a low, shitty looking guaranteed-to-work resolution... And then half of them STILL (crazy in this day n age) require a game restart to change it (half may be exaggerating)...

And thanks nin; that's nice to hear : )

I restarted the game last night, with a custom party, and I feel much more powerful... I also understand the skill system a bit better, so getting Fireball real early, and assassination's reach make things a bit nicer... I am curious what kind of levels (and therefore, skill points) we'll end up with... I want to max a few skills, but am not sure if it's possible, or we'll end up with enough for 3-4 maxed skills... For most chars, I'm levelling two skills at about the same rate (though for the warriors, I went pure armor for the light, then heavy, armor specs, as with finding secrets, you can get two heavy pieces pretty damn early)...

Btw... The slimes suck, but with my low level fireball, it was doable... Plus some fleeing & resting. And admittedly, running all the way back, arms a flailing in the air, to the 'save stone' to res/heal : )

-Alamar

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
50. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 15:41 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:34:
As a 3d-modeller I always demand concept art from an concept artist now when I work in a game project or I give them the clear answer that there is a chance the res models will not be what you want, but you will have to pay for them anyway. Exactly to avoid this issue. Then again, I am freelancer so I can choose what to do.

But Dmitri_M you really made a superb point. This is exactly what likely happened here. No concept artists. It doesn't help that concept artists learn to model (a very dangerous combination) so companies think they can forgo dedicated concept artists and dedicated modelers. But it is VITAL that modelers do NOT draw/find the concepts for their models themselves. A second "look" at concepts and interpretation is often what shifts a concept away from "looks like this from that" into a unique model.

I'm not in this field, so I defer to your opinion... But personally, I always thought concept artist was a wasted position... Or rather, something that any other artist or modeller should also be able to do...

And that's mostly ignorance, and I understand why there is a distinction... As an example, I can model... I can draw/copy... But to create something from scratch, just seems so foreign... In short, I have technical, not artistic, skills...

On topic... I love the title Blue... That's half the reason I keep coming back : )

And I think both example tanks look pretty damn similar, but again, I admit my ignorance about tank design; I don't know which portions 'every' tank would have (which could include the oddly similar rivet patterns). Also, taking a quick glance, they look 'exactly the same', but studying them for a minute, you can see quite a few differences (but I still think they look 'too' similar)...

As for a big company being able to prevent this kind of thing... I don't see how... There is always going to be something out there, somewhere, that looks close enough to 'get in trouble'... And if they have no employees that know what <insert cult interest> looks like, how would they know to even question they could look the same? I'm a big fan of intent being more important than the result... I also hate maliciousness : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
107. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:38 Alamar

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:18:
ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:12:
Tip: You can use spears on the back characters as normal weapons.
I'm guessing anything that says REACH can be used like that.

A good tip... My 'throwing weapons' character is nearly always using the spear, because throwing weapons are in such short supply (and opening the inventory to grab a new/different stack takes too long)...

The first few Undead Skellies I killed, I reacted in typical old school rpg/adventure game fashion... I grabbed every shield and spear... But there is no vendor to offload this stuff heh...

I still have a bunch of crap (armor mostly) that I'll likely never use, but haven't purged yet..

-Alamar

103. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:03 Alamar

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:59:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:41:
But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

What reputation?

I assume you mean the Grimrock developers... but that's only half the equation...

Let's say they start at 0, because they're unknown (I still don't know the name)... But since EA is at -10275097812346071235, the Grimrock developers have a much higher rep : )

-Alamar

100. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:40 Alamar

killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:29:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:45:
If EA had published it, it wouldn't be DRM free, it would be 2 hours long, and it would have cost $50 at release. And a year after release, the studio that made it would be let go. Or renamed to Bioware Finland.

Straw man argument. You basically read what I said and proceeded to completely disregard it.

If they did that, you'd have reason to complain. But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

I've put a bit of time into LoG myself... it is quite good. Still has its rough edges, but it does, as the Brits are fond of saying, what it says on the tin. Definitely a worthwhile scratching of a nostalgic itch, now to see just how deep this rabbit hole actually goes...

I think the fact (and argument around) it is by an indie developer isn't purely the reasoning... It's more the other aspect... Indie title are typically cheaper...

If this were an indie title priced at $50, I wouldn't have picked it up, and if I had, I would be disappointed...

If it were an EA title at $15, I don't think things would be much different, for me, but I would have expected more...

So essentially, I agree, but think the cost is more of a factor than that it's labelled 'indie', especially in these times when some big big companies label their shit as 'indie' : )

Oh and yay 100 : )

-Alamar

98. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:22 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:28:
Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:24:
Another thing to note... Falling down trap holes can be beneficial

-Alamar

Really? I haven't fallen down any - what exactly do you/can you get from falling in them?

I haven't been in each one, but you can get gear (there is even a note somewhere that tells you something is down one), as well as an achievement (that I believe can be gotten no other way), if you care about that sort of thing

-Alamar

95. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:24 Alamar

Another thing to note... Falling down trap holes can be beneficial

-Alamar

92. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:13 Alamar

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:11:
Bucky wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 01:24:
Just make sure there aren't any monsters nearby. I woke up to an unpleasant surprise....

Additionally the blue crystals can be used to resurrect more than once, not sure how the limit is set but I just used one on the same level twice.

No limit, just a cooldown...

-Alamar

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 11, 2012, 22:40 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:22:
Bosanac wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:28:
I don't get this game. Why is everyone so excited about it?

Is it turn based?

I haven't gotten to any monsters, mostly because I can't figure out how the mage works with his spells.

If its real time, how do I command 4 characters to do something without it being turn based?

I'm so very confused about this game.

It's like phased base. It's on a timer, it's like turn but if you don't do anything, it will gladly continue on. Bioware'ish.

You have to get a scroll to learn the spells. You don't use them or anything, you learn it as you pick it up. Scroll worthless afterwards.

Right click a magic users hand, click the icon in the scroll, then click the blue swirl. Presto changeo!

Just to nit pick here... You don't use a scroll to 'learn' a spell... It just gives you the 'recipe'... Which you can also find out on your own...

And on the other side, having levels for spells unlocked, but not knowing what they are, is rather annoying... I have most of my points in Fire/Spellcraft, and three lines of Spell: ???... I guess I need to experiment more (fighting the urge to google it).

Necrophob wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:39:
Also, I really hate those damn skeleton warriors.

Just wait till you get 4 at a time : ) Though, I find that easier than the 2-3 wandering separately...

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 Alamar

InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:24:
I think its unfair that these reviewers get to play the game before I can. Unlock is coming tomorrow but its still unfair. Did they pirate it maybe?

Well it IS a PC game... must have been...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 11:24 Alamar

That was a rather disappointing video... Was hoping something new and interesting would be in there... The shatterer was cool back in '09 ; )

I'm looking forward to GW2, even if it is just more of the same fedex/kill quests in a new world, branded as dynamic... And as long as the combat is good, I'll likely level everything to max... Just too bad there's nothing significant to do there ; )

I do hope some of their 'additions to the genre' stick, even though it seems to take a decade for others to catch on to the previous ones (like public quests, global names, etc).

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2012, 19:38 Alamar

SOL: Exodus... Thoughts?

A demo is available, but my PC is not...

And with Grimrock unlocking in 2 days... hmmm...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Pets of Torchlight II
16. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 21:09 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:51:
PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:03:
That said, I'm in the closed beta now, and... Path of Exile currently is mediocre at best. The skill system is fairly interesting, but the passive skill map is more cumbersome than cool, in my opinion.

Concur.

Thirded. If you're the type of person that hates Diablo 3 because it's not "Diablo," and you loved doing endless Pindle runs with 80% magic find, you'll love PoE.

The skill tree and gem/skill system are neat ideas, but somewhat convoluted... and given how they operate (your character is ENTIRELY dependent on on the skill tree and gem skills), I don't even know why they bothered with set classes. They could have just gone the TES route and given you a generic character (with more character customization [of which there is none]), and let you customize it as you liked.

[EDIT]
Clarification; the classes do start out at different points in the skill tree, but it seems to me it would have made more sense for them to go with a traditional skill based system, rather than this massive spiderweb that they have now.

The illusion of choice... Is very powerful...

Before the days of 'gimped builds' vs 'flavor of the month cookie cutter OP builds' and going the wrong way up any kind of skill tree, this kind of thing (the passive skill web) would have been popular. But these days, if you want to compete (PvP OR PvE) at high levels, you need an optimal build (which in a semi related note, has it's own set of fans)...

Blizzard knows the choices aren't 'real', and that's why the D3 (and Pandaria Talents) system is 'simplified', and also why people bitch... They want their useless choices...

I want those choices... I look at the web and want to branch off my int-only witch build to pick up something that sounds neat that isn't directly related, but I don't know how many points we'll end up with, so again, don't want to miss out (gimp myself) on the really juicy caster stuff : )

And lastly... The passive skill 'web', is pretty similar, though in a different format, obviously, to Titan Quest's style... Points in the main line give you stats... Points in the tree have lots (but not as 'web' like) pre-requisites, and each talent had different levels, much like any of the lines/circles of the PoE web...

-Alamar

1827 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo