Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1792 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 11, 2012, 22:40 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:22:
Bosanac wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:28:
I don't get this game. Why is everyone so excited about it?

Is it turn based?

I haven't gotten to any monsters, mostly because I can't figure out how the mage works with his spells.

If its real time, how do I command 4 characters to do something without it being turn based?

I'm so very confused about this game.

It's like phased base. It's on a timer, it's like turn but if you don't do anything, it will gladly continue on. Bioware'ish.

You have to get a scroll to learn the spells. You don't use them or anything, you learn it as you pick it up. Scroll worthless afterwards.

Right click a magic users hand, click the icon in the scroll, then click the blue swirl. Presto changeo!

Just to nit pick here... You don't use a scroll to 'learn' a spell... It just gives you the 'recipe'... Which you can also find out on your own...

And on the other side, having levels for spells unlocked, but not knowing what they are, is rather annoying... I have most of my points in Fire/Spellcraft, and three lines of Spell: ???... I guess I need to experiment more (fighting the urge to google it).

Necrophob wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:39:
Also, I really hate those damn skeleton warriors.

Just wait till you get 4 at a time : ) Though, I find that easier than the 2-3 wandering separately...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 Alamar

InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:24:
I think its unfair that these reviewers get to play the game before I can. Unlock is coming tomorrow but its still unfair. Did they pirate it maybe?

Well it IS a PC game... must have been...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 11:24 Alamar

That was a rather disappointing video... Was hoping something new and interesting would be in there... The shatterer was cool back in '09 ; )

I'm looking forward to GW2, even if it is just more of the same fedex/kill quests in a new world, branded as dynamic... And as long as the combat is good, I'll likely level everything to max... Just too bad there's nothing significant to do there ; )

I do hope some of their 'additions to the genre' stick, even though it seems to take a decade for others to catch on to the previous ones (like public quests, global names, etc).

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2012, 19:38 Alamar

SOL: Exodus... Thoughts?

A demo is available, but my PC is not...

And with Grimrock unlocking in 2 days... hmmm...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Pets of Torchlight II
16. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 21:09 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:51:
PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:03:
That said, I'm in the closed beta now, and... Path of Exile currently is mediocre at best. The skill system is fairly interesting, but the passive skill map is more cumbersome than cool, in my opinion.

Concur.

Thirded. If you're the type of person that hates Diablo 3 because it's not "Diablo," and you loved doing endless Pindle runs with 80% magic find, you'll love PoE.

The skill tree and gem/skill system are neat ideas, but somewhat convoluted... and given how they operate (your character is ENTIRELY dependent on on the skill tree and gem skills), I don't even know why they bothered with set classes. They could have just gone the TES route and given you a generic character (with more character customization [of which there is none]), and let you customize it as you liked.

[EDIT]
Clarification; the classes do start out at different points in the skill tree, but it seems to me it would have made more sense for them to go with a traditional skill based system, rather than this massive spiderweb that they have now.

The illusion of choice... Is very powerful...

Before the days of 'gimped builds' vs 'flavor of the month cookie cutter OP builds' and going the wrong way up any kind of skill tree, this kind of thing (the passive skill web) would have been popular. But these days, if you want to compete (PvP OR PvE) at high levels, you need an optimal build (which in a semi related note, has it's own set of fans)...

Blizzard knows the choices aren't 'real', and that's why the D3 (and Pandaria Talents) system is 'simplified', and also why people bitch... They want their useless choices...

I want those choices... I look at the web and want to branch off my int-only witch build to pick up something that sounds neat that isn't directly related, but I don't know how many points we'll end up with, so again, don't want to miss out (gimp myself) on the really juicy caster stuff : )

And lastly... The passive skill 'web', is pretty similar, though in a different format, obviously, to Titan Quest's style... Points in the main line give you stats... Points in the tree have lots (but not as 'web' like) pre-requisites, and each talent had different levels, much like any of the lines/circles of the PoE web...

-Alamar

News Comments > Epic Mickey 2 Coming to PC & Mac
4. Re: Epic Mickey 2 Coming to PC & Mac Mar 30, 2012, 19:56 Alamar

I haven't heard of Epic Mickey (1), so I wasn't sure this wasn't a drinking game until I got to the full disclosure ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Wasteland 2 and Obsidian
25. Re: Wasteland 2 and Obsidian Mar 30, 2012, 19:52 Alamar

Dev wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 19:35:
BTW, if you haven't noticed already, this is a MUST READ interview. I picked out some of the most interesting parts to me personally, but its well worth RTFA if you have any remote interest at all in these subjects.

Here's the link again if you missed it earlier (thanks for the find ASeven):
link

I totally disagree : )

But I do appreciate some of the quotes, even if you're obsessing : )

Personally, I don't remember Wasteland, and watching a video of it removed any remote interest I may have generated looking at the passion in these threads...

So I'll look at it when it's near completion, and I hope it's what you all want : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered
8. Re: Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered Mar 29, 2012, 22:40 Alamar

Necrophob wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 22:08:
I'd imagine looking back at that code must be a trip for the guy. I remember dinking around with stuff like mode 13h, back in the day when you could still get at that kind of stuff. DirectX and OpenGL spoil us with their power, while seeming to make stuff that used to be fairly simple more difficult.

It's amazing looking back at old games and seeing the weird crap that the programmers pulled off back then. I remember looking through the Wolfenstein 3d code, thinking it would be very simple, only to be baffled in most places. I could have sworn I saw some dynamically generated assembly.

Gawd... 320x240 with direct 8-bit addressing... Those were the days... I mean, other than being able to do it now at any res... heh

I wrote a palette rotation program in assembler that I used as a password checker... It was pretty ; )

Also, while addicted to Eye of the Beholder (and similar style games), I wrote a 3D maze program that used Bresenham's line drawing algorithm to texture the walls...

Some of these things, I still have around on a backup somewhere, and ya, it's neat going back to it, so I totally get the nostalgia bit ; )

As for the cool shit people were doing in 13h... The demo scene was awesome... Some really neat stuff packed into crazy tight code : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend
10. Re: Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend Mar 29, 2012, 22:12 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 07:45:
Hmmmm I've been signed up for the beta for a while (haven't gotten in; highly interested) - and yet I haven't received any notification about the public weekend. I wonder if they haven't send out a blast or if my account is wonky.

I signed up last week, as a result of someone bashing D3 and suggesting this...

Got the email about the stress weekend a few days ago...

As for the download, it's in the faq, 3rd answer.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Solar Struggle
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Solar Struggle Mar 29, 2012, 22:02 Alamar

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 15:51:
venomhed wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 12:06:
Fuck all that. I want games for grown ups and games that target specific groups of people. Chances are that a game that appeals to 10 year olds isn't going to appeal to me, I am fine with that. But when you try to satisfy all you wind up with a big pile of human dog shit.... wait that didn't make sense.

So when are the armchair vets here at Bluesnews going to finally create your own gaming development studio?

Looking for testers with iOS devices ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Trine 2 Hardcore Mode Added
1. Re: Trine 2 Hardcore Mode Added Mar 29, 2012, 21:51 Alamar

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but this also brought about a 50% off sale for this weekend, which put it at the right price for me...

$7.50, and I still won't buy games like uhm... That new ID game, oh right, Rage, for over $5 ; )

I need to stop though; I've jumped on about 5 different sales in the last ~10 days.

Enjoying the first campaign of the first Spellforce game : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered
5. Re: Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered Mar 29, 2012, 21:48 Alamar

Three words... ebay dot com...

Seriously though, I'm happy for him... But I can't imagine how it's of any use, beyond nostalgia of course : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Class Video
8. Re: Diablo III Class Video Mar 28, 2012, 19:26 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:55:
...anyone who believes otherwise is deluded or doesn't understand the concepts involved.

I have always believed this... Not regarding D3... Just in general... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Next Month; Preorders Underway
15. Re: Legend of Grimrock Next Month; Preorders Underway Mar 27, 2012, 17:44 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 11:14:

Looks fantastic! Now where's my steam page?

Thanks nin; that's looking significantly better (both graphically, and playstyle-alily) than when last I saw it...

Edit: Bought it... Hard to choose which service to give money to... Google wants to link my credit card to my gmail account, and no thanks... amazon, I don't think I have an acct for, paypal lets me pay without an acct, so yay : )

Also worth mentioning... Pre-order comes with a preorder bonus package, including graph paper (more useful if it wasn't designed to waste a ton of toner/ink), the manual (yay), and some other stuff : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2012, 17:54.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 17:37 Alamar

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 17:19:
I like 3D but it wouldn't bother me much if it went away for awhile so the tech can be improved, it isn't quite "there" yet for me. In the right hands it can look great (Cameron, Pixar) but overall the weaknesses of the 3D tech stand out too much. Plus the glasses they provide don't always fit well over my regular glasses.

Of course the movie industry will do the exact opposite.

3D tech did go away for what, 20 years, because it wasn't quite 'there' yet...

That's one of the things I find so funny about all the 3D Push... 'Didn't this happen when I was a kid?' : ) Or simply 'again?'

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2012, 17:34 Alamar

Draugr wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 15:31:
Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:31:
Diablo 3 on console will be 'a true Blizzard-level experience'
[...]
the firm made the decision to look at a console release for the title not primarily for financial reasons, but because it feels "that particular product makes a lot of sense" on platforms other than PC.

Sure actiblizz, sure. I believe that.

SPend any time looking at diablo 3 and it's clear where they made concessions for consoles.

Like having 6, instead of the previous 2 (though instantly swappable with F1-8 keys) action keys... And that controller/keyboard based movement where you don't need a mouse...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

I don't understand you people that weren't already boycotting theaters for showing commercials (what's it up to now, 4-5?) before the movie....

Crazy talk...

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Gold
4. Re: Legend of Grimrock Gold Mar 23, 2012, 20:54 Alamar

And the people rejoiced...

Was just looking at some M&M games (6-8) myself... Tempting...

-Alamar

News Comments > Angry Birds Space and Demo Released
14. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:49 Alamar

Ecthelion wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 09:24:
If I were a suspicious person I might think those "rip off" comments were just trolling... I'd like to see some names to back up those claims.

I believe the genre is 'catapult' (games)... A google search will list a bunch, like crush the castle.

I don't know the relative launch dates, but I played a handful a good bit before Angry Birds showed up.. In my opinion, they pulled a Blizzard; took a fairly new genre and made a game with a lot of production value.

So basically, AB is not the first, or the best, but it does have mass market appeal (that mostly just means it's cute : ).

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 22, 2012, 09:45 Alamar

Crazy... A Zynga headline that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth : )

-Alamar

1792 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo