Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1696 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 22, 2012, 14:21 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 14:14:
No issues getting the tool to work and upload. No issues with the website form. But, I still haven't gotten the confirmation email.

Oh well, this game was supposed to be out in 2009, so if I can wait from 2007 until 2012, I guess I can wait an afternoon for the email. And the arrival of my Vita.

Stupid waiting.

I believe the confirmation email is something along the lines of 'O M F G, YOU GOT IN!!!', so you won't get it until after the 48h period, and possibly never... : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Retro City Rampage PC Plans
6. Re: Retro City Rampage PC Plans Feb 21, 2012, 13:44 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 11:29:
You honestly question where sales will be strongest?

I (honestly) question where sales will be strongest in terms of income, not units sold...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 Alamar

Not sure why this made me think of it... But, do you know what day cinco de mayo is on? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
21. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 21:40 Alamar

reisub wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 21:32:
If all the potential buyers of the game put their $15+ into the Kickstarter how would Double Fine make any money? I guess the market is bigger than the 60k that's currently contributed though. Still, they might be hoping people stop donating.

They have already made money...

When publisher backed, the 2 million is a loan, that comes out of sales first... Then the devs can make some...

In this case, the 2 million is a gift, minus the minor expenses incurred by giving out the kick-starter rewards. So all sales from day 0 go right to the dev...

-Alamar

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
12. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 15:25 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:30:
I feel like donating more money at this point. I put in $15 but at this point I feel like I should go upgrade my donation to $30...

Done! You can easily adjust your donation and select the reward you want! I can't help but hope this is going to be something amazing so I am extremely tempted to upgrade to the point where you get a poster for framing. I'd love to slowly build a wall in my house I "helped" make ala the walls you see at game studios!

I very much support/like your wall idea... I am so going to offer posters when I beg for money : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Reign of Thunder Announced
7. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 13:53 Alamar

Looks interesting... But where is the kick starter page? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Tomes of Mephistopheles Alpha
3. Re: Tomes of Mephistopheles Alpha Feb 17, 2012, 22:53 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:45:
This is another form of crowdsourcing, a paid alpha. In the end it's still an investment like Kickstarter since you have no idea you'll have a final game in the end.

Either way I liked what I saw and for $10 I gladly invested in this one.

But you get the game as is right NOW... unlike most kick starter projects...

Actually that's an assumption that's meant as a question... Grim Dawn is trying this too, but haven't hit the 'alpha' point yet...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
6. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 17, 2012, 22:20 Alamar

One of the things I don't like about Skyrim is that the main quest line isn't really any grander than some other big quest lines.

If the DLC has some more involved content, I might consider it, but still likely to wait for a substantial sale.

-Alamar

News Comments > Legends of Pegasus Website; Trailer
2. Re: Legends of Pegasus Website; Trailer Feb 17, 2012, 18:55 Alamar

I hate teaser trailers... Though, this one is worse in some ways... Teaser's are generally for well known content... Getting people wet for another...

In this case, the first half of the video is just a planet turning into a marble heh...

Interesting enough to comment (bash) on, but not to click... yet...

-Alamar

News Comments > Free StarCraft II Name Changes
11. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Feb 17, 2012, 16:22 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:14:
Definitely fair points Alamar but something like this is incredibly easy to accommodate on the design side with very little in terms of labor costs. I dare say they have a lot of reusable code just from the WoW side of things for that. The server upkeep is already subsidized and they can keep the "permanence" of ignore lists and whatnot using the 4 digit identifier on the back end when the name is swapped.

I can't think of a compelling reason for it to cost money other than the usual "its just business" stuff which is probably where peoples negativity about this sort of announcement is rooted. They should totally make it free, it's a good PR move and they can limit the amount of times per year that people do it to ensure people take it seriously. I think Blizzard usually ends up doing the right thing in this sort of situation but sometimes they need some arm twisting

Well see, there's the thing... There may be no compelling reason for it to cost money, but it does cost money...

Every action any business takes costs money... I'm not saying it's big ... and in this case, the more meaningful question is 'can we charge for this'.

Let's pretend the guy taking 2 minutes to look up a value, type it into a list, and click a button to make the magic happen is making 50k... That's 25 an hour (assuming 2 weeks off a year). 2 minutes is 83 cents... 83 cents of work marked up to a 20-25 dollar service seems pretty standard to me, even assuming the 'best case scenario' on employee involvement. : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Free StarCraft II Name Changes
9. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Feb 17, 2012, 15:10 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 13:02:
Krovven wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 11:57:
Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 10:14:
And the decline of Actiblizz continues unabated.

Cutter bitching about a free service. It's a normal day.

Well, the fact that it's only ONE free name change, seems bitch-worthy, to be honest. I am sure the next one costs 25 dollars or something 'reasonable.'

So sure, you don't have to look it up : )

But ya, the first thing that came to mine with this headline was, why mention it's free if it's not already so?

I realize this is a bigger process than what most users/gamers think is involved (just like server transfers for massives were 'back in the day'), but is it big enough that it should cost more than 10 cents? It has to cost something, or it will be done arbitrarily and waste resources... Plus, I have to assume that they (and so many other places that don't allow name changes) want accountability - be a dick on your normal handle, and you can't just 'disappear' on a new one : ) Ya know... Like people here have been accused of ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 16, 2012, 21:03 Alamar

GW2 on consoles?

Ya, that's a shocker... Dumbed down controls, extremely limited number of spots on the single (mostly) action bar.

Still looking forward to it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming
7. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Irregardless of all the 'cashing in on the kick starter hype', this could be the week the world of PC gaming takes a huge turn...

On the one hand, I won't support big companies like DF/etc, because I think it's wasted dollars that would be better off helping 'start ups', but on the other, a few great successes can make this a feasible alternative, and hopefully come up with some neat new genres, or additions to. And who better to pay for classics updating than a bunch of cranky BluesNewsian curmudgeons : )

I am highly doubtful this will turn out to be a grand success; big (and little) devs will continue to go over budget, and in this case, no one will be around to extend times available or bail them out. I know a lot of people feel that's no different than the publisher backed model, but I do : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale
6. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 21:58 Alamar

Thanks for the recommendations... Bought a copy for myself and my boss : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
49. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 11:48 Alamar

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 07:25:
InBlack wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 04:10:
(Sorry even though Im not an advocate of mainstream capitalism, I think its a pretty stupid idea to donate money to someone who can use that capital with no liability and obligation to return any investment)
I think a lot of people don't understand what kickstarter is about. Its NOT a donation! Nearly all the kickstarter projects I've looked at give you a copy of the work in question after its done for a certain level of funding. $15 on double fine gets you a copy of the game and the documentary. Its basically a pre-order. It's been the same for the other things I've kickstarted such as Stardrive ($10 for a copy of a game that looks like it will be similar to master of orion).

There IS an obligation, and in fact its laid out in a project's kickstarter page. They almost always have a estimated time of completion too. I don't think they are free to use the funding for WTF ever they want either, they need to use it on whatever project they are kickstarting.

For double fine, they are estimating 6-8 months of completion time for this project.

I'm not seeing liability or obligation in your response... Sure, you use the word... But other than 'bad press' (and the inability to do another kickstarter project), what do funded projects that don't go to completion do? They've spent all the kickstarter capital, but for whatever reasons (developers constantly go over budget - one of the main reasons they need publishers), they run out, what happens?

In this case, I would assume Double Fine would just finish the project, as would any other 'well known' company, for fear of the bad PR, unless of course, they file for bankruptcy : )

Edit: I see that I should read the whole thread first... But as for it following someone's career... Sure, if they have a big enough name... Though I'll admit, I don't look at names as much as others... I remember when the gaming industry was desparately trying to celebritize some game developer names, and obviously it has worked... Me? I don't know the name Tim Schaefer or Ron Gilbert, but I've played, and even enjoyed, some of the games mentioned in these threads : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2012, 11:56.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

I really need to play God of War... Was one of the games (the dual pack) I picked up when I got my PS3 last year... that I played around with for about a month, and haven't touched since...

So I have 3 games still in shrink wrap... And another 2 that I got partway through heh...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
43. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 16:20 Alamar

The pickle wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:00:
People who say they don't want or use origins crack me up. It's the same thing as steam.

Just like pickles are the same thing as cucumbers... And apples are the same thing oranges (to borrow a cliche)...

Oh and 1k WOOT... heh

-Alamar

News Comments > Anno 2070 Content Update
13. Re: Anno 2070 Content Update Feb 13, 2012, 15:53 Alamar

deqer wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 12:54:
My god. Fuck games these days, with in-game purchasing and paid content shit. Seriously, go fuck yourselves. I feel sorry for the newbs that buy into this shit.

Ya... Paid content shit is... shit... I remember the days when all expansions were free... wait, what?

-Alamar

25. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 10:48:
Give him a break, it's not every day nin posts more than 5 words.

Perhaps not, but based on his post count, it is every day that nin posts : )

-Alamar

24. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 11:34 Alamar

Blue, I think you let slip in a typo...

Surely "That is correct. The demo will be released for Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 on Feb. 14th! :)." shouldn't have included the 'PC' part...

-Alamar

1696 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo