Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Class Video
8. Re: Diablo III Class Video Mar 28, 2012, 19:26 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:55:
...anyone who believes otherwise is deluded or doesn't understand the concepts involved.

I have always believed this... Not regarding D3... Just in general... : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Next Month; Preorders Underway
15. Re: Legend of Grimrock Next Month; Preorders Underway Mar 27, 2012, 17:44 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 11:14:

Looks fantastic! Now where's my steam page?

Thanks nin; that's looking significantly better (both graphically, and playstyle-alily) than when last I saw it...

Edit: Bought it... Hard to choose which service to give money to... Google wants to link my credit card to my gmail account, and no thanks... amazon, I don't think I have an acct for, paypal lets me pay without an acct, so yay : )

Also worth mentioning... Pre-order comes with a preorder bonus package, including graph paper (more useful if it wasn't designed to waste a ton of toner/ink), the manual (yay), and some other stuff : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2012, 17:54.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 17:37 Alamar

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 17:19:
I like 3D but it wouldn't bother me much if it went away for awhile so the tech can be improved, it isn't quite "there" yet for me. In the right hands it can look great (Cameron, Pixar) but overall the weaknesses of the 3D tech stand out too much. Plus the glasses they provide don't always fit well over my regular glasses.

Of course the movie industry will do the exact opposite.

3D tech did go away for what, 20 years, because it wasn't quite 'there' yet...

That's one of the things I find so funny about all the 3D Push... 'Didn't this happen when I was a kid?' : ) Or simply 'again?'

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2012, 17:34 Alamar

Draugr wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 15:31:
Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:31:
Diablo 3 on console will be 'a true Blizzard-level experience'
[...]
the firm made the decision to look at a console release for the title not primarily for financial reasons, but because it feels "that particular product makes a lot of sense" on platforms other than PC.

Sure actiblizz, sure. I believe that.

SPend any time looking at diablo 3 and it's clear where they made concessions for consoles.

Like having 6, instead of the previous 2 (though instantly swappable with F1-8 keys) action keys... And that controller/keyboard based movement where you don't need a mouse...

-Alamar

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

I don't understand you people that weren't already boycotting theaters for showing commercials (what's it up to now, 4-5?) before the movie....

Crazy talk...

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Gold
4. Re: Legend of Grimrock Gold Mar 23, 2012, 20:54 Alamar

And the people rejoiced...

Was just looking at some M&M games (6-8) myself... Tempting...

-Alamar

News Comments > Angry Birds Space and Demo Released
14. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:49 Alamar

Ecthelion wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 09:24:
If I were a suspicious person I might think those "rip off" comments were just trolling... I'd like to see some names to back up those claims.

I believe the genre is 'catapult' (games)... A google search will list a bunch, like crush the castle.

I don't know the relative launch dates, but I played a handful a good bit before Angry Birds showed up.. In my opinion, they pulled a Blizzard; took a fairly new genre and made a game with a lot of production value.

So basically, AB is not the first, or the best, but it does have mass market appeal (that mostly just means it's cute : ).

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 22, 2012, 09:45 Alamar

Crazy... A Zynga headline that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
50. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 16:53 Alamar

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 16:41:
But for the love of sanity, please STFU and quit whining for evidence and proof where it's not needed. Also, any further responses from you will be ignored.

Interestingly, when I want an 'argument' to end, I'll just stop responding to it... Ya know, instead of demanding the other party do that and plugging your ears... : )

Feel free to respond or not, I may read it : )

-Alamar

40. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 14:25 Alamar

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:17:
Maybe I didn't explain myself as well as I could have. My point is that, if you earn gold while having fun going about regular in-game activities, is it really a grind?

No more or less than WoW, was the point I was eluding to...

I do really like the idea that everything may be available for gold, but their verbiage is a bit off... If I can unlock extra character slots with gold, even if it costs a 'lot' (subjective term), that's great, because I'm the type that wants to try every class (and never have to delete one).

However, I don't see it strictly stated that you can pay for microtransations with gold, because stuff on the store costs gems, and they state it is a player driven market that allows players to buy gems (with gold), but doesn't strictly say we can buy gems from them with gold. This is only a non-issue if there are always a ton of gems available for a consistent price, which seems unlikely to me (the success of gold selling over the last decade+ might argue with me).

-Alamar

37. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 14:13 Alamar

Fion wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:05:
Now, if you can buy them you'll certainly look cooler than the average player, but statistically you will have no advantage what so ever.

Just want to point out one way this is not true...

Camouflage... Green gear in a green area gives a visual advantage in times of sneak attack and what not : )

Some will scoff at this, but then, I spent many many hours over the years, standing in the bush by the blacksmith, and throwing daggers at people trying to cap the flag... They would spin around, not see me, and try again, at which point, another dagger would thud into them and stop them : )

-Alamar

33. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 13:58 Alamar

Fion wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:48:
I think a lot of people are considering the system 'pay 2 win' because if you have money you can buy gems, sell them for gold and buy gear with that gold. But those people aren't thinking clearly about the subject because if they did, they would realize that just isn't the case.

The reason it isn't is because GW2's gear 'progression' is lateral. Anet has stated multiple times that by the time you hit 80 you'll have top end gear or very near it. Whether you get it via dungeons (where you get a token and then turn that token in for a piece of gear), from crafting, from PvP (using Glory), or from World vs World. Top end stats are easy to get to, the progression from there is in getting your hands on some of the rare skins for gear, just like GW2.

Because of this, even if you DID spend $ on gems and sold them, then bought top end gear, you would not have an advantage, simple because every level 80 will have top end gear. It's that simple, so pay 2 win is simply impossible with this system.

I personally like that it's all up to the players how the gem system plays out. What the market prices will be in game for one. The ability to spend gold on them at the trading post, and thus the ability to purchase micro-transactions without spending $. This makes any purchases a 'reward' to Anet, a direct way to help them build future content and expansions, etc. And that is pure win.

I agree with all this... Except, they can sell buffs... We won't know everything on the store until it's there : )

Do I think a company that isn't adding a gear cycle (at launch) will add buffs to the store, or P2W features at all? No, but if they get bought by Activision, this could totally happen, because Blizzard was a shining beam of holy goodness before they were bought : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 14:08.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Michael Bay doing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - as aliens Mar 21, 2012, 13:04 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:17:

The Rock was indeed good. But I don't think it would have been nearly as good w/o Connery.

Arma and BB were tolerable.

I'm gonna take pleasure in gutting you boy...

And something about a prom queen...

-Alamar

6. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 13:00 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:20:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:23:
Link is broken... but this one works:

Microsoft Bans...

It makes sense though. Why would you want all of your employees buying a competitor's product with your company funds?

Obviously their R&D department that reverse engineers stuff should have an exception. I mean, how else would they steal shit from Apple, like they always have?

I don't know, my company lets us do whatever we want, we're constantly checking out competitor products both in official and casual use. Hell my buddy works at Ford and the only penalty for owning a non-Ford car is that you have to park further away from the building. If the auto unions can't enforce that shit I don't see Microsoft getting a real handle on it.

That said, it just makes sense for the most forward facing parts of the company not to advertise that stuff, I'm not bashing MS for this or something.

Your comment makes me think you didn't read more than the headline...

'for owning a non-Ford car'... How is an employee's properly in any way related to this article?

Perhaps you're thinking back to a similar headline many years ago where MS employees were using non-white headphones (to hide that they were using) with their iPods, when Zune (is that what it was called) was being pushed internally.

-Alamar

18. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 12:33 Alamar

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:48:
wusel wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:22:
Item shop unlocks are for "account services and on time-saving convenience". To generate a demand for "time-saving convenience"-items, Anet must have left inconvenient game mechanics in the game ..so much for the promise of "no grind, just fun".

That statement there is a bit of a leap. Inconvenient game mechanics doesn't exclude fun. Most game activities generate gold naturally (eg. quests). So unless you tend to play your games by computing how to maximize gold gain, rather than you know enjoying yourself, then it's not exactly a grind. Or rather, it's only a grind if you make it one. Yes some games can create grinds (a la WoW or Lineage), but I'm inclined to at least give ArenaNet the benefit of the doubt that they've added enough variety through their personal stories and dynamic events that the game itself will stay fresh.

Your post screams naivety to me... So I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like you're saying WoW can be grindy, but GW2 isn't going to be because you earn gold while playing?

If the costs in GW2 take a day or two each, that might seem reasonable, but once you have to play, at max level, for a week (or play the AH), to buy one measely little item/buff/whatever, that's a whole different thing.

Also, this is the exact style of 'microtransactions' that has made mobile games so much money... You can play and play and play and unlock things as you go, or just pull out some cash and get it NOW... I personally like that the choice is there, but the counter-argument is that the game is purposefully slowed to 'make' people buy the currency instead...

-Alamar

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend Mar 21, 2012, 12:22 Alamar

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:14:
Just long enough to see most of what is positive about the game, but not long enough to experience most of the negatives. I wish this game had lived up to its hype and potential.

Isn't this precisely the nature of what a game demo is?

Or a movie trailer... If I had a nickel for every trailer I enjoyed, but the movie contained 'no' new information... I likely would have spent it on candy... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming?
18. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 Alamar

I really need to play Demon Souls... It's still shrink wrapped, from when I bought my PS3 like 8 months ago...

-Alamar

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Update; Fargo Says: "Kick It Forward"
7. Re: Wasteland 2 Update; Fargo Says: Mar 21, 2012, 11:30 Alamar

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:22:
I just wonder what the first major kickstarted project that will implode under poor management will be. It will be interested to see how much excitement will be left for this model then.

Which is partly why they're all jumping on the bandwagon this early...

-Alamar

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
29. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:43 Alamar

I guess I'm in the category of 'most likely done with WoW'... I have no hate on for the next expansion... Though I do find the Kung Fu Panda silly, but then, what do you expect when WoW was the first massive ever made? See where I'm going? : )

Anyhow... I have played since launch (or pre-launch for those measuring), but I haven't actively sub'd the whole time; Even from the first 'omg this is new, shiny awesomeness' year, I took breaks... So that never stopped, but this last one, has been about a year, so like I said... I guess I'm done...

And like someone said, if there's a dry spell (and I can't force myself to play the dozen+ unplayed (or replayed) steam sale games), I could see myself trying it out again after mists... Maybe after the scroll is upgraded, so I get mists for free : )

Also... Spellforce games are on for the cheap on steam today... I just picked up the whole thing, even though I have Shadow Wars in a box (moving in 2 weeks)... I really enjoyed Shadow Wars, though the game seems too big in some ways. Anyhow, I recommend it at $3.74 or whatever for Spellforce 2 (haven't played 1 yet, so can't recommend it yet : ).

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 19, 2012, 21:21 Alamar

Is eurogamer.net like the onion and other farce sites?

While WoW and other 3D 3rd person massives end up on a mobile device, why else would they just shrink a desktop screenie to portray it?

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo