Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1696 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: When Gaming Is Good for You. Mar 8, 2012, 00:41 Alamar

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 21:37:
People who played action-based video and computer games made decisions 25% faster than others without sacrificing accuracy

Too bad 75% of the time that decision is to play more videogames instead of doing some work.

heh nice : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Molyneux Quits Lionhead
34. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 16:03 Alamar

Signatus wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:56:
Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 14:53:
More and more I'm starting to see all these old overhyped developers like Molyneux, Garriot, et al. as people who really weren't all that talented but only surrounded themselves with good talent and took credit for it.

I think (and hope) that the reason why these people started churning out hyped games that turned out to be nothing were the publishers behind them.

I have a lot of respect for both, as I have for Will Wright and Sid Meier. Sadly only Sid seems to still try to please us.

Sadly, I agree with Cutter... ptooey... bad taste.

Anyhow, this is also true in any other form of media... We like certain actors or films because of the hundreds if not thousands of people involved, not just because they have <insert recent popular actor>. Not saying these people aren't talented (or those mentioned), but it's a team effort, but we, as humans, need labels and other forms of simplification, ergo celebrityism ; )

I remember back when this push was just starting in PC Games, and that it was a purely intentional (and fake) process to try and bring PC Games 'up to' where hollywood movies were at, at least for easy recognition, but again, all it really means is that the majority of people who put in a lot of good/quality work don't get 'credit' (or rather, fame).

-Alamar

News Comments > Molyneux Quits Lionhead
32. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:53 Alamar

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 11:00:
I actually really liked Black & White, and am sad that there may never be another sequel to this again, although PS3 recently has something called: 'From Dust' which may or may not be similar.

To all who bash Peter and his pioneer works, FU.

eidle eidle eee... eidle eidle eee...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:58 Alamar

kanniballl wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:30:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:
The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.
It really did have potential, to the point where I can't see HOW they managed to screw it up. It had:
  • Time Travel

• Dinosaurs

• Conspiracy (people in the future want to do... something)

• Bad guys in the past

• Guy from Avatar (did a great job here)

• Guy from US-version of Life on Mars (also did a good job)

• Skye was alright (I remember her from "Kings")

• It had a lot of cool things going for it... and yet it just failed.

I blame part of it on dedicated too-much-time each weekend on the family-oriented stuff. I'm fine with SOME family stuff going on (keeps the main character grounded, shows what they're all fighting for) but it just seemed like too much. Add to that, the son was the worst character on TV in the past year (annoying + stupid + inconsistent).

Some people whined about the SFX, but considering it was a TV show it was alright. My only gripe was that "animated gif" of the large fish they showed... that was weak sauce. But besides that, even their worst effects were passable for TV.

I know NOTHING about this show, but based on your Life on Mars comment (and the list), it makes me think this is another copy of a good BBC show, that I can't remember the name of.... Primeval.. I think...

-Alamar

News Comments > Darksiders II Preorder Upgrade
    2. Re: Darksiders II Preorder Upgrade Mar 6, 2012, 11:46 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:14:
    THQ really boned this type of stuff with SR3 so be careful if you're plunking down money. Many people didn't have access to any DLC for up to 2 weeks after release. I really enjoyed the first game for what it was so I'll probably grab it regardless.

But there shouldn't be any DLC in the first 2 weeks after release... And if there is, BluesNewsian's will again join in the uproar : )

I also enjoyed Darksiders, and am considering a pre-order (though more likely, within the last week before launch), but it depends on the timing of other goodies, like Diablo 3 : ) April 17th FTW

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 20:29 Alamar

Made a pot of chili myself recently...

Ground beef, some cumin, some chill powder, a can of tomato soup, a jar of salsa, a can of Hunt's Spicy Red Pepper (THE black label heh), let simmer until hungry ; )

Very simple, and I enjoy it, though certain body parts I won't mention don't always appreciate it ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonuses
    1. Re: Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonuses Mar 3, 2012, 17:07 Alamar

Steamworks game that you can't preorder on steam first... Rather odd.

I don't doubt it will be added, but now I have to wait some more : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support
    18. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 15:14 Alamar

finga wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 14:26:
    They didn't mention mods, just DLC. Steamworks doesn't necessarily come with mod support, even though it did with Skyrim (but that's it for now).

As far as the DLC thing, I don't think Gearbox has ever done the "day one DLC" thing, and only have launched their DLC post-release. And, I think more importantly, their DLC is actually pretty good and often worth the money, with the exception of whatever they put out for Duke Forever (due to the game itself) and that Moxxi DLC since it was just one big arena to play in.

I disagree with your 'exception'; I thought the first Borderlands DLC was nearly worthless. The others were well worth the 66 or 83% off; about as much as I want to pay for any new content.

'B2' will get much more of my money though. Day 1 most likely, but DLC after the inevitable GOTY edition.

-Alamar

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter
    21. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 15:25 Alamar

I also want to point out... I love the rewards for this...

Named crew member, Named enemy in a custom event... That's good stuff : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
    69. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:19 Alamar

DarkCntry wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:38:
    That said, you are aware that the only way to have privacy online is to not be online, right? If you don't believe that, and constitute it as a strawman, then well, there's no hope for you.

I admit my ignorance as to what the 'strawman argument' is, but will you admit that you don't know what the word hope means? : )

Hope implies the results of the future, not the present... You mean it as an insult, but I'm allowed to call it out; like fixing grammar in a post about poor grammar : )

-Alamar

67. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:09 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:44:
    EA has a very long, nearly two decades long history of fucking people right in the face. Then pissing on them, and telling them that it was their hearts desire.

Hey now... some people like this kind of thing, so let's not judge ; )

-Alamar

17. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:56 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:50:
    EA and Activision and their ilk can't go the way of the fucking dodo fast enough to suit me.

Same here. I suspect the industry would be in disarray if every project was community-sourced, but at the very least I'd like to see the soulless, mega publishers completely and utterly devoid of any vision beyond dollar signs gone forever.

As far as this project goes, $10,000 may not sound like much, but I can't imagine that "Space Pirates and Zombies", a space combat game itself, had a development budget of much higher than that, and it was ridiculously addicting and fun. At least to me it was, anyway.

I enjoyed SPAZ, or at least the first half (or so)... need to go back to it : )

But let's throw around some numbers...

A lot of hobby projects (that go somewhere), start with two people, and they take half a year to make (not unreasonable). Two half years makes one full 'man year'. Given that arbitrary example, I would have to argue that 10k is not nearly enough : )

Even given a 3 month cycle, that's half a 'man year', and 10k isn't enough... I'm assuming 'no other significant sources of income', and lots of noodles, and rent/heat/elec/food/etc still costs more than that (unless they live together : ).

I make a lot of assumptions, as your post seems to, but in the end... Hobbyists will get shit done for cheap, but a 'reasonable' cost of living is far different : )

Mmmmm... Noodles...

-Alamar

14. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:16 Alamar

I'm not quite sure what's going on in that video, but it does look interesting.

I'm confused though, because when I looked at it (years ago and weeks ago), it said projects could only be started by US 'entities' (an amazon banking/escrow type limitation), but I guess even if you're outside the US, you can use a US account/address/whatever.

-Alamar

15. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 10:59 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:54:
    Alamar wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:50:
    As a security minded person, this annoys me, because they're scanning my system without my permission...
    It depends how it is being done. The serial keys are stored in the registry and if Origin is simply accessing the registry keys for EA products then there is no security concern. It can only be considered a positive move.

In many ways, reading the registry could have more of a security impact... Either way, I'm sure someone will watch procmon closely and let us (the world) know the results if they find anything...

InBlack wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:52:
    So Origin checks the files on your computer, but somehow does that without reading them?? I never heard of any software to be capable of divination before this but I gotta say Im impressed...

You can generate a list of files on a Windows PC without opening any of them.. As well as get the file size.

-Alamar

12. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 10:50 Alamar

As a security minded person, this annoys me, because they're scanning my system without my permission... (assumption)

As a gamer, this annoys me, because they're wasting resources that could be better spent with a .01 fps increase...

As a consumer, I love this shit, because now I have two 'copies' of my games...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
    29. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 21:11 Alamar

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:43:
    What? Are you saying, that because you're not OBLIGATED to do so, that you won't enjoy it as much??!?

Hey...I find a different weapon...I might go down a difficulty level and try out a different playstyle - but I don't be FORCED to start from scratch to do so!

I can see both sides of that... While you can just level up a new character, and use new skills, and I have always been so very pro choice (yay for respecs), a lot of people don't like it... In part, maybe, because of the inability to use the OP abilities when the other ones are available. But also because in the D2 style, you made a specific ability (or set of) stronger each level. D3 abilities all automatically get stronger, and a lot of people don't like not being locked in.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
    23. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:21 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:42:
    Optional nickname wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:50:
    meanwhile we know nothing about it

Edit: I should have looked at your previous posts before wasting my time with a response. Optional is a troll, just like Wildone. So very very sad that some people have no lives.

I'm sure I've had the same thoughts about some of your posts, and I'm sure others have had those about mine...

That's the nature of any online community : )

Edit:
    Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:13:
    Communication involves listening and understanding as well as speaking.

I find this funny, because I'm pretty sure he was responding to Hammer's comment : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 18:37.

News Comments > Hawken Gets $10M in Funding
    17. Re: Hawken Gets $10M in Funding Feb 27, 2012, 18:12 Alamar

This is good news...

Not sure I'll like this game, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 26, 2012, 12:33 Alamar

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 12:16:
    Is Anne Marie Rasmusson too hot to have a driver's license?

Every guy clicks article link and immediately scrolls to pictures.

hahahaha.... ya... Though my first thought was... Why is this on a gaming site... And that's still my question : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Sons of Anarchy Game?
    14. Re: Sons of Anarchy Game? Feb 25, 2012, 23:13 Alamar

born2expire wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 17:37:
    Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 13:52:
    I've never understood the appeal of bikers. I've always viewed them as dirty criminal scumbags.

I've always viewed them as antisocial loaners who don't see anything good from "society" and created their own brotherhood.

Do those antisocial, or loners, really create brotherhoods? : )

-Alamar

1696 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 33.
    < Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo