Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1753 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month
4. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:39 Alamar

As much as I'm not on the Valve loving, or Portal game/series playing bandwagon(s), I think this is cool...

Interesting though, that free DLC in this day and age sparks a happy vibe, when it used to be that the price of a game would give you all the updates free for a year or two, and THEN there might be an expansion with a good deal of new content...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
19. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 15:34 Alamar

Graham wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:16:
deqer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:56:
I was going to pick this up, but ever since they released that childish cinematic last week, I fear I would be picking up a game for 5yearolds--I'm not a 5yearold.

You sound like a rational person with reasonable opinions.

Protip: Being worried about you own personal, private hobbies appearing childish shows that you still have some growing up to do.

Protip: Using the cliche (meme?) Protip line shows you still have some growing up to do : )

Or at least, I would feel that way if I wanted to judge other people's opinions ; )

deqer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:00:
Graham wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:16:
Protip: Being worried about you own personal, private hobbies appearing childish shows that you still have some growing up to do.
Protip: Be cautious about something you're deciding to make a hobby, because it could suddenly stab you in the back; when it's too late; because you already paid, or you already spent more time than you wanted to.

Am I going to enjoy a game that has a childish atmosphere to it? Childish cinematics, childish voice acting, and childish stories/quests? Probably not.

Someone is going to have to do convince me. Tell me I'm wrong. Someone who's played the beta.

You would have to define how you think something is childish for someone else, with a different definition, to be able to convince you otherwise...

I don't think TL or TL2 look childish at all... Cartoonish, yes, but cartoons were always made for parents, so who knows what you could mean : )

DangerDog wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:34:
Too bad they couldn't have gotten this out a few months before D3 hit.

Indeed... They would certainly have gotten more full price sales... But those that enjoyed the first, will buy the second (on a Steam sale when they take a break from D3).

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 15:41.

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
2. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 11:22 Alamar

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:10:
Woot! And only $20! Played the hell out of the last one, and I'm sure I'll do the same here!

I won't likely pre-order it, unless it's in the last few days, but it made me wonder... Why would you pre-order Torchlight 2 if you didn't thoroughly enjoy #1... Thereby making the copy of the first useless (minus the whole steam gifting part)...

And then I remembered the letter r... Or more accurately... Arrrrr... Pirates ; )

This is a great example of how piracy generates revenue; many many people who pirate a product will buy a sequel. Which incidentally, is also why Windows is THE operating system of choice : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
11. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 23:41 Alamar

Acleacius wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 23:34:
It's crazy to ship so full of bugs to your customers, at least from what I read there tons of issues with this game.

Can you name one software package (game or otherwise) shipped in the last decade that was not 'so full of bugs'? : )

Personally, however, I haven't dealt with any bugs in D3 for months... Doesn't mean they're not there, and I steered clear of the stress weekend, but peeps constantly bitch about every single game not being ready at launch; moreso for massives, because there is always a lot of people playing it before launch.

I would call D3 ready, though perhaps not the infrastructure, near launch, but that's ok, because I'll just load it up in single player mode ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Apr 25, 2012, 23:31 Alamar

Evochron tempts me, but I wouldn't be able to try it before the sale is over... Perhaps during the summer sale when it's $5 : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
5. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:47 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:38:
Krovven wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:17:
Rhialto wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:09:
Would be curious to see if Bettle.net will be able to handle all the load.

That's my concern as well. I've debated a lot whether to take the 15th off work, and decided to do it anyways for shits and giggles. If nothing else, I'll catch up on Legend of Grimlock and a couple other games if B.net happens to be down. Or should I say "when it's down" as Im sure it will be a few times in the first day or two while they fix things.

Here's the thing I don't get, they've been running Battle.net for going on 15+ years now, they know how many preorders they have, they know going on Brand name that they could shit in a box and it'll sell millions. (why I don't know but that's a totally different dead horse we've beaten to death already)

How they can't prepare for that with the numbers and their past experience running Battle.net and WoW I can't understand. Spend the money, put the proper amount of servers and back end in place, and ramp it up if need be.

There's a widely known belief, and even a famous saying, about how you can't always just throw money at a problem to get a solution...

Plus, there's the reality of money... As one person put it; it's not worth it for Blizzard to handle the full influx... They know people are going to put up with it... There will be complaints, raging, etc... Then the demand will settle down, and all the money they saved on hardware/bandwidth they no longer need, will instead go to the CEO : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
38. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 17:51 Alamar

Yifes wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:53:
deqer wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:48:
Forget all this type, and discussion. The REAL QUESTION IS Is it going to be another shitty grind again? Do I have to really need to spend hours and hours travelling, killing wolves, and shit? It's F2P, so why make us grind? If you want us to be good at our character, then just put a training system in the game. Fuck.

At least making the levelling process only take 20 hours to do. Not 200 hours. Not 100, not 50.

Seriously...

Please take your long-drawn-out lore/questing/grind system and kindly shove it up your ass.

Why make us sink all our time into your game without us knowing yet whether it's worth it or not for us to sink our time into it in the first place.

You think you can make us grind shit again? Nope. People have already had their fill of that shit from WoW--if not EQ--if not any of the other 10 MMOs that have come out, and we're sick of it.

There's very little in the way of gear treadmill, the leveling curve is pretty much flat, and you can right off the bat make max level geared out characters for structured PVP. The reason why so many people are optimistic about this game is because we're sick of all the traditional MMO shit, and GW2 has the potential to change that.

'flat levelling curve' doesn't mean it doesn't take 200 hours to hit max... It just means each level takes about the same amount of time...

The real counter to 'having to grind' to max level, for GW2, is that there is no end game... But the counter that, is that there is stuff that requires level, like the 'hard mode' dungeons... Which just goes back to support that there's a grind to get to max level to see this content...

Though, regardless of which game it is, seeing new content (which includes quests/lore while levelling) is a large part of the game... If not for that stuff, people would be complaining that it's too short. If you don't enjoy playing a game, will you enjoy playing a game at max level?

-Alamar

21. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 12:38 Alamar

nin wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:59:
I think we need to start server discussions...

A friend had sent this earlier today, asking what you're asking (but for this weekend)...

US Worlds
Anvil Rock - 4chan /vg/
Borlis Pass
Yak’s Bend - Yogcast, GW2 Guru, GameTrailers, Reddit alt?
Henge of Denravi - NeoGAF, Guild Wars Reporter
Maguuma - MMORPG.com
Sorrow’s Furnace - Reddit alt, VexX Gaming (PvP), Hearts of Chaos (PvX), GW2Den
Kaineng- A
Jade Quarry - PVP, Decisive Action (PvP), Lion's Arch Radio/Blue Isle
Fort Aspenwood - Penny Arcade
Ehmry Bay
Ferguson’s Crossing
Darkhaven - Reddit (main), Reddit WvW, Oceanic alt, Almost Famous (PvP)
Vasburg - joO Binder (PvP)
Eredon Terrace
Crystal Desert - (SouthEast Asia)forums.hardwarezone.com.sg, Reddit alt?
Tarnished Coast - Roleplaying, The Gentlemen's Club, rpg.net
Steamspur Mountains
Blazeridge Mountains
Isle of Janthir - Boons & Conditions
Sea of Sorrows - SomethingAwful, (Oceanic), (Downunder/AUS/NZ)
Deldrimor
Scavenger’s Causeway
Moladune
Eternal Grove - Sea of Stars & Star Onions

-Alamar

13. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 11:37 Alamar

Hudson wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:25:
Its always fun to watch the predominantly ANTI BLIZZARD Blues News crowd rally behind the latest douchebaggy MMO that comes out that is supposed to be the grand savior of a dying genre then later turn against it in scorn.

I give you all about...3 months

This totally won't happen this time... GW2 is different in so many way (sic)...

Seriously though... There are many factors... Such as people thinking Rift/SWTOR aren't successful with (insert X subs) when WoW has 21034972398460... I would expect GW2 to have less of a dent on WoW than the other two mentioned, and for a much shorter period, but I also expect it'll be a huge success : )

-Alamar

10. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 11:22 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:46:
This game gets dumber every day

An MMO, that doesn't even charge a monthly subscription, offers ways of transferring your character to another place, and it's dumb? Jeez, one of the major complaints of most MMO players is that they can't transfer a character and GW2 will have it at/near launch, sounds "smart" to me.

It's just too bad it's not what they claimed early on, but I understand the desire for balance... at least for balancing casual players; dedicated players in other games transfer across servers all the time for various reasons, including pvp imbalance (to get away from or to generate)...

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
15. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 16:57 Alamar

GarrettTX1 wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 13:56:
Have to agree - this is looking more like Crysis 2.1 (sadly IMO) than the original Crysis (and Warhead somewhat). IE: Big beautiful levels with human opponents where multiple approaches (like stealth) could be used tactically to approach/finish the level(s).

Looks more like the shoot/blow everything up that all the lil kiddies (ie: the current target audience for pubs/devs...) like nowadays...

Would be great to hear more "Die Mr Yankee Zankee..." comments from human opponents AI in Crysis 3...

I thought the 'lil kiddies' were the ones keeping Call of Dooty and Modern Borefare up in the top 10? The community really needs to make up it's mind...

Btw, I haven't played any of the CoD/MW variants, but I like the word Dooty...

I did enjoy the aliens in the Crysis series and can't understand the 'crying' about it... If you want pure human enemies, why not play one of the games above?

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
7. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:49 Alamar

Linksil wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:19:
I bet they are going with something along the lines of "part of them were immune or hiding out of reach of the cloud".

Best way I can see them making this game better, instead of going a bit more downhill, would be if the dome is the whole level. IE no loads or cuts from one side to another. If they could or even tried to pull that off I think the people that dispised the 2nd game might shut up a bit.

I was never a big fan of this feature in say, GTA, or some other boring games, but I really enjoyed it in Prototype (and some others you could fly/glide)... Running from one end of the city to the other can be fun... Though I'd rather queue for a random dungeon... anyhow...

I guess, for me, part of the fun in travelling in prototype (other than the aforementioned 'flying'), is crushing and throwing cars as I go... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
85. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 20:06 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 19:08:
Quinn wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 18:26:
Been playing it for an hour.

The hype around this game still boggles the mind...

Agreed, it's diablo 2 all over again with slightly better graphics and an auction house with people trying to sell mundane white items for 500k gold.

Not only that but no longer can you build a character with stats, that's removed, and skills are unlocked for you as you go along, limited to a couple damage skills active at once? So much for skill trees and different builds. No lets just streamline it down so the masses of below level intelligence won't have to work for a decent set up.

Why does anyone still give a fuck about Blizzard? I just fail to understand.

Your comment fits, well, your comment, pretty well... Is this really the first time you've heard about the game?

I'm all for varied opinions... But this is like me talking about how bad hockey is, because of blah blah blah - I don't know anything about hockey ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer
22. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 15:43 Alamar

SXO wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:18:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:59:
Jackplug wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:44:
Usual shit from EA, wont be buying it anyways.

Show me where EA touched you...

Seriously, EA make awesome games a lot of the time. This old hate is silly.
Name the last "awesome" game they made, then ask yourself what that game would've been like without EA's taint on the developer. Obviously it's a subjective thing to consider, and if you believe games like Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2 & Dead Space 2 are better than the originals, obviously we are of two separate minds on the matter. Either way, one look at your avatar and I can see you are a handsome chap, and therefore I feel strangely insecure about my own manliness, therefore I have no choice but to forfeit my opinion to yours.

Hmmm... Didn't like either Dragon Age... Enjoyed both Dead Space's about equally, and enjoyed both (all three) Crysis (Crysii?)...

Maybe this is why my distaste for EA isn't as prevalent around these parts...

Was EA not involved with Dragon 1, Dead Space 1, or Crysis 1/1.5?

-Alamar

34. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 13:38 Alamar

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:29:
Krovven wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:39:
Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:40:
Despite claims to the contrary by the usual suspects it will take about an hour, maybe an hour and a half if you take your time.

Anyone that says it will take under 2 hrs to explore everywhere, listen & read all quest and flavour text, loot everything, etc in the beta is a lying sack of shit.

I've beat the beta in 4 player coop in 45min. We raced from beginning to end, killing as little as possible, looted only what was in front of me and Blue, talked to nobody, skipped all quest text/info, didn't train the Blacksmith, etc.

It's a great way to have zero fun at all.

While I'm generally a completionist myself, an extra 30 mins isn't going to change anyone's perception. End of the day the chunk of the game they put up for a beta, is short in comparison to the full game. Not sure why you're getting your I <3 Blizzard gstring in a twist about it.

I would so buy an I <3 Blizzard gstring if they sold them on the battle.net store... Just saying...

-Alamar

19. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 11:55 Alamar

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:40:
Despite claims to the contrary by the usual suspects it will take about an hour, maybe an hour and a half if you take your time. It's fun but fleeting, just enough to give you a feel for the basics.

You can do some replays to up the play time of course. My favorite class was the Wizard followed closely by the Barb. Monk was pretty cool as well though hes balanced a little weirdly.

As with, every single thing in life... Your 'mileage may vary'... Don't need to be snarky about again disagreeing with other people's also-nearly-useless estimates...

I got at least 2-3 hours of 'enjoyment' out of my initial play through, because I'm all about 'defeating the fog (of war)', so if you play like that, and kill every mob and (nearly every) breakable item along the way, it could take that long...

My second playthrough, with my boss (his first), was all about following the 'path of least resistance', and it was over so quickly... And he commented, when the 'you beat beta' line came up, 'wtf, that's it?'... I giggled (yes, like a schoolgirl)...

-Alamar

12. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 10:55 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 10:33:
With 1.2mb/s it would have taken you about an hour and not 20 minutes

;p

How dare you bring math into an exaggerated discussion...

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer
6. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 10:53 Alamar

On the plus side, and I'm sorry guys, that my comment isn't immediately bashing EA or what not, it's not 30s of branding with 5s of 'teaser'... More like 6s of branding out of 18s total, but still, things are looking up : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patched
7. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 10:50 Alamar

Jerusahat wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:53:
nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:30:
invert horizontal mouse option
Ok, I gotta ask. And this is coming from someone who always reverses mouselook (aka vert)...

Maybe their mental frame of reference is 3rd person, so pulling the interface left moves the focus right? Like controlling a studio camera.

I used to know someone who used a mouse rotated 180°, even in Windows.

Like how when OS X Lion came out, and it switched everyone's scroll functionality to the opposite, because now you're 'pushing the page up', instead of 'scrolling your view down'...

Also, I've seen hundreds of games over the years with horizontal invert right under vertical invert... It's like those weird left-handed people...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts?
32. Re: Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts? Apr 18, 2012, 13:55 Alamar

Gridphoenix wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 12:05:
Why bother with Diablo III Beta. Played Diablo III Beta till the end of Act I. But, I found Path of Exile to be a much better experience. I tried Path of Exile for the first time, when they opened up the beta as a buy-in a couple of weeks ago.

(and: I am not associated with the developers).

Just my 2 cents....

Michael

Wow man... if my Diablo 3 beta went to the end of Act I, I'd be all over that...

As for Path... Tried the open weekend, it was generic as hell... Got into the beta like two days earlier, and just haven't gotten around to trying it more...

-Alamar

1753 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo