Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale May 31, 2012, 19:57 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on May 31, 2012, 00:52:
If you're not a fan of adventure games the Sierra ones are going to be a real chore. There are so many cheap kills. The Lucasarts adventure games were less annoying in this respect but it does provide some chuckles when you die on something silly or unexpected. I'll just walk over this way and EATEN BY WORM MONSTER! Game over! Restore?

I'd say skip it if you're not into adventure games already. I vaguely remember playing one of these games so I'm interested just to see what the story was all about. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm thinking I'll skip the EGA versions. (space quest 2 and 3)

The original monkey island poked fun at Sierra games by letting jump off a cliff (or the like) and it popped up a Restore? Button with a 'just joking' of something.

I was a huge Sierra fan way back, and their response to my lettered is one of the reason I'm a (kickass) coder : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
23. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 18:35 Alamar

Yakubs wrote on May 31, 2012, 13:09:
I wish they would port Demon's Souls too

I still have this for PS3, shrink wrapped, in the other room... I need to dedicate some time to that machine... It's currently a media box...

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
29. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:35 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:23:
Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:19:
Crysis 2 is such a weird game. Really enjoyed the open levels but they had adopted the hamfisted storytelling that CoD games use with loss of character control, laugh worthy plot that 14 year olds would mock and nonsensical cutscenes. Some of the stealthplay is fun but the aliens are totally boring as usual, I have no idea what Cryteks fixation on aliens is but it is always the weakest part of their games.
Exactly. You've at least got to give Ubisoft credit with Far Cry 2 for responding to the criticism of the original and removing the mutants, corny dialogue and bullshit sci-fi elements (though they made plenty of their own mistakes). Whereas Crytek responded by making exactly the same game with Crysis, except they replaced mutants with aliens.

I don't understand the alien complaints with the Crysis series... The entire story has, and always will be, about the aliens... Fighting human troops was just tacked on : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
4. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 13:23 Alamar

Another day, another D3 thread... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details May 29, 2012, 11:41 Alamar

Yaaaawwwwwn...

We'll see how I feel in a week, but currently, I'm not having withdrawals... Who knows though... When I bang my head against the 'Inferno wall' in D3, maybe I'll want to take a break ; )

Hit 60 last night on the Wizard... Just need to finish the rest of Act IV.

-Alamar

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
52. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 20:16 Alamar

So as an example... I just made 6 lvl 58 Rare Daggers...

Each requires 29 essence, 8 Hoof's, 8 Tomes 23,310 gold...

Got a few that were not bad... Best being the first, go figure... 328 dps, 129 int, 657 hp per kill, 8% bonus to Plague of Toads...

The second best were about the same dps, one with str, the other vit...

Then I check the AH... set my max to 20k, lvl 55-59 weapons... Pages upon pages of results... ok... 100 int... and some life on hit... Pages upon pages... Ok... 140 int, 100 vit, 100 life on hit... Reasonble list of results... Ended up buying one for 10k heh Same overall damage as the one I made, but with 4k more life (from the vit), and 200 hp per hit...

Ya... I'll keep training the BS, but holy crap, I have been burned nearly every time trying to make something... And really, the only reason is because there's an AH (which I love that there's access to - remember that I hate farming), but this is quite the oversight...

-Alamar

32. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 16:44 Alamar

Darks wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:34:
RollinThundr wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:07:
Alamar wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:45:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:39:
I love how everyone is an expert about itemization for legendaries vs. rares based on roughly 2 weeks worth of random drops, and a few forum posts by people with anecdotes.

Surely, the comments from those not even playing the game are amusing...

But in this regard, reality is handy, but perception is king...

The problems (in this area) with perception is that people don't value certain lines (affixes) on a legendary, when they have some real use... Personally, I skip stuff with 'increases health globe pickup range', but then, I die from not being able to reach a health globe, so maybe that's karma heh...

Also, that whole comparing higher level blues with lower lvl legendaries is useful... The 'real' problem is that while it may be one in a billion drops, if there is ever one blue with perfect high rolls that beats one (equal ilvl) orange with perfect low rolls people scream that the system is broken... I half agree, as I think it's pointless to have gear that has such an absurdly low chance of dropping, not be overpowered, but apparently they want orange gear to just be a tad stronger (partially for balance I imagine, and to prevent AH abuse - go figure).

-Alamar

my lvl 51 DH says hello btw. And that's just it, for items that drop as rarely as legendary items do, their stats flat out suck. In 51 levels I've found 2 total. 2! Through a complete play through of normal and Nightmare. One was a lvl 10 Witch Doctor helm with terrible stats, the other a lvl 41 quiver that if it didn't have +104 dex on it, I would have AH'ed in a heart beat since the rest of the stats on it suck.. oooo +3 to disipline! oooo Reduces the cost of Cluster arrow! (a skill I don't even use)

That's the problem in a nut shell, in Diablo II, uniques were exactly that unique and usually the high end one's were powerful. In Diablo III it's oh hope the randomize dice roll plays nice for you.

Dude, I agree, legendary items blow big time, hell sometimes a blue item will drop that makes the legendary items look horrid.

As for balance changes, ok blizz, thatís right letís make the classes even more under powered. As it is now, no one is able to get through Inferno mode because itís entirely OP. And donít ever go on the forums and post a negative comment about the game or blizz. It will get nuked, that is just pathetic when a company canít even allow customers to vent their frustrations.

Great job as usual Blizz, you never fail to disappoint.

I trump your 51 DH that has seen 2 with my 58 Wiz that has seen 0 (and that includes my 37 Barb)..

I personally like a large part of the system... I have a few pieces I consider really nice, and they have str/dex/int and vit on them... Guess what happens to those when I out lvl them? They go to my other 4 characters, eventually...

Maybe they should have called Legendaries 'Rarer's instead... People aren't bitching about Rare's and crappy stats, and I've 'DE'd' hundreds of trash rares...

As for 'no one is able to get through Inferno', maybe you should consider a few things... Like blatant lying not being very useful in a discussion, and that the game has been out 2 weeks... If this were a glaring bug, as opposed to progression, I'd be more included to waive the '2 week grace period' (whatever that 2 value becomes over time), but really.. Plenty of people are conquering Inferno, posting tips, selling loot, etc...

I should hit Inferno tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned for my nerd rage post about how hard it is : )

-Alamar

26. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 15:45 Alamar

Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:39:
I love how everyone is an expert about itemization for legendaries vs. rares based on roughly 2 weeks worth of random drops, and a few forum posts by people with anecdotes.

Surely, the comments from those not even playing the game are amusing...

But in this regard, reality is handy, but perception is king...

The problems (in this area) with perception is that people don't value certain lines (affixes) on a legendary, when they have some real use... Personally, I skip stuff with 'increases health globe pickup range', but then, I die from not being able to reach a health globe, so maybe that's karma heh...

Also, that whole comparing higher level blues with lower lvl legendaries is useful... The 'real' problem is that while it may be one in a billion drops, if there is ever one blue with perfect high rolls that beats one (equal ilvl) orange with perfect low rolls people scream that the system is broken... I half agree, as I think it's pointless to have gear that has such an absurdly low chance of dropping, not be overpowered, but apparently they want orange gear to just be a tad stronger (partially for balance I imagine, and to prevent AH abuse - go figure).

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 15:40 Alamar

Dev wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:35:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:33:
Cutter wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:09:
Yes, but old Blizzard would have never done this. This is the new Actiblizz. Don't be surprised to see them start behaving more like EA and killing server support after a year or two. They've already carved a big hunk off the game to get it out the door. I'm sure much, much shorter development cycles and DLC are going to be next for Actiblizz.

Oh bullshit, they're still running Diablo 2. I understand the concern, but to honestly suggest that D3 might get shut down in a year or two is just ridiculous.
If it was EA, it wouldn't be so ridiculous. Do you ever read their list of game shutdowns they put out and frequently update? Some titles on there are just a year old when they shut them down.

This isn't even a love Blizzard vs hate EA issue...

If D2 had as few people playing as the shutdown EA games, D2 would be shut down too... They're in it for the cashola, like every other company... Being able to see that treating your fans like shit makes you lose more money is a skill they seem to have though : )

-Alamar

22. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 15:23 Alamar

Verno wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:21:
Oh yeah, where are the ladders anyway? I always had fun ladder rushing in D2.

Pretty sure there were comments about no intent to have that kind of thing...

Ladders in D2 were just character reset/purge with a race to 99 right? I ask, because while I loved D2 (near launch), it had no long term appeal for me... Not sure I even got past nightmare... Didn't see the point of farming gear, which is why I'm a big supporter of D3's 'progression' style instead : )

-Alamar

18. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 15:09 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:02:
I read somewhere that items always drop below your level, you will never find items above or atyour level unless you play Inferno (apparently ACT4 before that drops like 1 out of 3000 lvl 60 items but nothing beyond that).. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. How are you supposed to prepare for Inferno when all the loot you need only drops in Inferno?

Let's think about this for a second, instead of just spitting out a post...

Let's say that in game 'generic RPG with random loot', you need a full set of 12 gear slots filled with <insert current level> gear, and that gear only drops from <insert current level> mobs, but since you need that full set, to get one drop of that full set, you just can't play the game... That is the dumbest design that could be...

That is far from what Diablo (1, 2 or 3) does... Instead, in Normal, to beat the last boss, you 'need' an average gear level of about 10 (level - 20)... In later difficulties, the only thing changes is the 20 in that previous equation... But at no point is that 20 ever a 0, including Inferno... My example is simplified, and Inferno confuses people even more so, because each Act has lvl 60 gear, that doesn't have an iLvl of 60, so ignore that part : )

What I do agree with however, is that too much crap gear (both because of stat rolls on items, and level rolls on items) drops... Getting a 'Socketed Ring' at lvl 10 was silly... Getting them dropping with a lvl 50 requirement (no stats, just a socket) is beyond silly... But I mostly feel this way because, while I enjoy running through the game (and this time around, the difficulties), farming bores the piss out of me... I like levelling, and beating harder stuff, but I don't want to (not for 20+ years) run back and forth over the same area trying to 'gear up'...

Vex wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:07:
If anyone is on the fence about this game, I strongly suggest you wait to purchase it. At this point you are paying to beta test the game, which is an insult considering how long the development cycle was. The game has been designed to train you to go to the auction house for your gear.

If anyone is on the fence about this game, I strongly suggest you run out and purchase it. At this point, the game is insanely fun (if you like ARPG's), and if you don't mind the brick wall difficulty increase (after you've had fun for ~50 hours already), the extra challenges are great : )

-Alamar

16. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 14:59 Alamar

The gem change really makes me want to start a thread titled 'What the fuck are you thinking?'...

Since you can take gems out of gear, and re-use them, the gem combining that is going from 3 to 2 gems is nearly useless... Because it stops at the point it should start instead...

I actually went through all my gems recently and combined them all to the top level (Just below Square; can't recall the name)... I ended up with about 30 gems, which ended up costing me 90k gold, and 42 pages. If it required 2 gems instead of 3, it would have just cost ~50% more gold/pages (not quite, but you get the idea)... Having an extra ~10 high end gems does what for me? I have like 5 gem slots on my entire character..

/rant...

In short, don't combine gems, unless it's one time, for a red gem for your weapon (or Topaz for your Helm, or similiar), and the next higher type just hasn't dropped yet... Up to Flawless Square that is; I don't think they can drop after that.

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 14:15 Alamar

If only it were the first game, or even action RPG that did this...

Was there this kind of uproar for GW when it came out? Or were people really fooled into thinking it was a massive?

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:14:
I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I was playing D2 earlier this year. I just got out my disk and installed. Will Blizzard still be around in 12 years for me to play D3 if I buy it today?

So while the answer doesn't invalidate your point, yes, yes it will : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on May 28, 2012, 14:20.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on May 26, 2012, 19:06:
It didn't help that the whole setting and storyline in the game is just so damn generic. All this huge talent from a variety of industries and they went with a typical 'evil elves trying to take over the world and you, a nondescript soldier must become the ultimate hero to defeat them.'

This. If you're making a new IP, you need to make sure it stands out. Generic fantasy does not stand out.

I saw this complaint a bunch, but I wonder, how is it more generic than Skyrim.

-Alamar

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
13. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 08:49 Alamar

If it's not riding dragons, i'm not interested : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale May 26, 2012, 00:28 Alamar

Rather glad I didn't pick up Confrontation at $40, and now that it's already half off, I think I'll wait a bit...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again
51. Re: Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again May 25, 2012, 12:59 Alamar

Verno wrote on May 25, 2012, 11:44:
(Randomly shoot out exploding chickens that peck the enemy and then explode for AE fire damage)

I would like to second this 'nomination'... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
63. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 22:26 Alamar

Prez wrote on May 24, 2012, 21:43:
Forcing people into auction houses by tweaking loot drops so that the majority of loot you get is stuff you can't use is pretty damn slimy. I suppose I'm not allowed to have an opinion about that because I didn't play it? Rolleyes

You're making the mistake of thinking people are forced to use the AH... You don't need optimal gear at every moment to get by... People do it, but don't need to...

Also, the majority of loot dropped in any game ever made that has random loot is, guess what, stuff you won't use... Perhaps this is worse for ARPG's, but D3 has a ton more useful loot dropping than TQ ever did (as a personal perception/observation based comparison). And at least every garbage piece of loot still has a use in D3.

As for there always being awesome stuff on the AH... Do the math? The AH is for the entire Americas (or Asia or Europe - I think those are the groupings) playerbase, so ya, there's going to be a LOT of gear on the AH, and guess what? Most of it you won't use ; )

Not you, you... As this is the only game in the last decade you haven't bought hehe : )

-Alamar

39. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:30 Alamar

Wolfox wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:22:
Stolk wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:57:
Lots of complaints specifically regarding tool-tips not being changed yet. I continue to be surprised by things I see around the internet.

That's a big deal. First, because it's confusing. Second, because if ArenaNet updates tooltips every time a skill changes, then Blizzard should be able to do the same.

I was going to make a point about how GW does things, but passed on it... But since you mention it...

GW has content 'patches' very often... sometimes multiple times a day... It definitely works well for the way they have things organized, and I don't think players complain 'too much' about the multiple restarts required at times...

However, this is an early design type of thing... So late in the development stage, it's a pain to fix, and we're very long past that stage... Blizzard could change it; they've made early design style changes in the past, but from a cost-benefit rating, I'd say it's pretty damn low.

-Alamar

35. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:15 Alamar

Verno wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:04:
Stolk wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:57:
Lots of complaints specifically regarding tool-tips not being changed yet. I continue to be surprised by things I see around the internet.

Yeah I wasn't very happy about this. I logged in one day and a few of my abilities/runes weren't working properly. There was no post informing people, no documentation on the forums/website and the tooltip was the same. They got into this really annoying trend of hotfixing things in WoW which pissed a lot of people off and I really don't want that becoming a thing in D3. If people find a way to literally cheat or exploit then fine but if they're playing within your mechanics then at least have the decency to promply tell people when you're changing stuff.

In this 'day and age', there's really no excuse not to inform your users when hotfixes are made... Though, half the time, when there is i nfo, people don't know where to find it, so a consolidated spot is handy (The patch page, for example, which has notoriously been slow to update)... Different departments working (not so well) together...

I would like to see this for downtime as well... Sometimes, they have to bring the servers down NOW... Take the 5s to email someone responsible for updates to get that shit out right away... I think it's better than it was, but ideally, the 'Breaking News' should be there when you're D/C'd without warning...

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:04:
You can set gold limits and buffs. Search on cheap stuff first, it shows the expensive stuff if you don't search witih some other attributes....

I spent a good hour in there just looking at stuff, it is interesting to see what some people get for drops, etc.

I was using the filters (Int/Vit) for that, but for some reason, thought the gold limit was only for legendaries, which admittedly, is more me not thinking about it...

Will definitely mess with that when I want to add some Vit to the Barbie...

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo