Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1792 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator
62. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:13 Alamar

MrBone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:16:
Anyone that uses real money in this game or any game is a fool. And you know what happens to fools.

Anyone that tells others how using their real money is foolish, is a fool. And you know what happens to fools.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
31. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 09:54 Alamar

Fion wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:02:
Ah Blizzards classic 'need 4 hours of downtime for this hotfix' followed by 'we need one more hour' shenanigans. GW2 beta weekend is on right now and when you get a patch there, you just have to restart and patch up, servers don't even come down. It's so nice!

True, but the combat is boring as shit...

I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes this weekend... I would like to make myself play some more... And maybe enjoy it a bit, but I have so little desire... (Part of that is that it's beta, and characters get deleted... I hate deleted chars ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle V Expands
9. Re: Humble Indie Bundle V Expands Jun 8, 2012, 11:45 Alamar

nin wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:37:
This is like indie deal of the year! The only problem is how many you already own.

The only one I already owned was Bastion, and I mucked with the sliders in their favor : )

Edit: As for the 'pay more than average for extra game(s)', I think that was an awesome idea... as well as the $5 min for steam keys, or whatever one+ of these sales did...

I only paid $10, even though the bundle is surely worth so much more... But I don't own any of the other games already for a reason; they didn't interest me enough at full price, so why throw a bunch more at em? I'd kind of prefer a play now, buy later approach so I could have the option of adding more money, and playing with the sliders appropriately.

-Alamar

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details
15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details Jun 8, 2012, 11:43 Alamar

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 03:05:
Slashman wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 01:23:
20 hours is less than what most full games give you these days...so I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Guessing you meant more...(?)

With the exception of the game it is an expansion pack for, you can probably count games released in the last 12 months that take 10+ hours one hand. Probably less.

Well sure, but then you'd have to include Skyrim in that list, since you can beat the main storyline in under 10 hours...

Oh, you want to explore other stuff as well, just like all those other games you would have had to include in your 'one hand' list ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
30. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 12:02 Alamar

I didn't read the thread, but am I the only person that wants to be the 'cube opener' and then keep it to myself? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter
17. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

jdwohlever wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 07:54:
God, I miss the day when developers cared more about making the game they WANT to make instead of making the game they NEED to make.

I was going to rip into the rest of your post, but I'm just going to assume you were being silly with all the crazy exaggerations and incorrect 'facts'...

But this... Let's think about for a minute... Most game developers are gamers; in fact, I would dare say 90%+, including the 'business' people.

So is it really so hard to imagine that actual fans of wildly successful games, that are more of the same, like Call of Dooty, want to make more of those games?

Granted, not everyone at just about any game company is working on a game they want, but that's the nature of having a job; at least they're working with some cool shit : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 11:24 Alamar

wtf_man wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 11:15:
Eccentric wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:35:
woohoo!

dear lord, please may I get onto the actual server this time, or if I'm in the overflow again may I at least be in the same overflow as my friends.

thanks muchly.

They pretty much fixed the overflow with your friends problem. Quote from the annuncements:

Improved Overflow Servers
We listened to a lot of the input we received from players regarding their experience with overflow servers in the first Beta Weekend Event, and weíve implemented a new party UI that tells you when party members are on a different overflow world. Weíve also given party members the ability to fast travel to overflow worlds where other members of their party are located, and weíve made it easier to keep party members together when moving between maps. Itís all designed to give you as smooth an experience as possible.

This was one of my biggest complaints with the first weekend... It's one of those, 'how the fuck could they have not thought this through' scenario's... But I already know the answer...

So if that's really working great this time, I'll only bitch about how the game is the same as every other massive ; )

Which of course is a gross oversimplification (when isn't it?)... Really though, I just mean I found it to be much less 'new' than expected... I already bought it (twice), and will have some fun with it... I just wanted more...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 11:14 Alamar

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:50:
I need to remember to run the client again tonight to patch, as I've not done it in a few weeks...

Hopefully I'll have more time to devote this weekend, as the last beta I only had a few hours.

Thanks for the re-reminder... Thought of this the other night, and forgot again...

And apparently, the first event was before I formatted (upgraded), so I need to copy the whole shebang, from my wife's computer : )

-Alamar

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
59. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 20:36 Alamar

Quboid wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:40:
I took the 10 seconds to be them getting out of the car, but also dealing with the shock of the impact. Still, fair points - I hadn't considered how paranoid they'd be, but presumably the conked guard had been found and they'd been notified. It's still a bit forced IMHO, but not unreasonably so.

It would be ideal if you could miss 5 seconds of the call - or all of the call - but have enough other clues to get the plot: intercepted emails, comms between security guards, etc.

But if you had watched the character miss 5s of the call, you would assume it was scripted that way ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
41. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 16:32 Alamar

Vulkan wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:29:
Quboid wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:07:
Also, why do they start shooting at our hero? They shouldn't start shooting at any bystander who is covering their face, not in that sort of weather, and they shouldn't be able to recognise him with his face covered. Maybe they're using some hack system of their own, but all to often in games, they seem to use magic, and if you're making a gritty, pseudo-realistic game like this looks to be, that breaks the immersion IMHO.

From what I got from the clip, the player character makes his presence plainly known at the art show as part of his strategy, perhaps as a show of intimidation (And you can tell some of the attendants recognize him, as they refer to him by name), so it's logical to think the target's bodyguards who were already on their way were made well aware of the player's presence at the art show by the target's assistant, they would then assume that the car crash was no mere coincidence and would therefore be immediately alerted by anyone acting or looking suspicious.

Plus the 10 seconds before the bodyguards actually started firing... You could argue they were getting out of their cars, or whatever, but it really doesn't take long to look around an intersection at the few people standing to determine someone could be the guy you want to shoot at, and if you're the type to shoot at people, will you care if you're not 100% : )

As for the conversation, of course it's scripted... Can you imagine how crappy the game would feel if you missed the first 5s of the conversation, because you were just too slow? Plot convenience is a useful tool in any form of media ; )

I enjoyed the video, but am not sure it's my style of game... I don't care for GTA (3+), or Saint's Row, etc... or rather, I don't care enough to try them beyond the few minutes I've put into some of them.

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
38. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:55 Alamar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:05:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 13:55:
So, IMO electronics are only bad if you are using them as a babysitter or pacifier. I think they are wonderful as a reward. But that could go for just about anything, not just electronics. It depends on what the child is interested in... holding back the "most interesting item" as the reward item.

EDIT: Oh, and a big mistake I see many parents make... one has to stick with what they said. If the child didn't do as they were told... you don't just give them the iPad anyway. As a matter of fact I wouldn't let them play with it for the whole day. One needs to reinforce "I mean what I say, and you will obey".

+1 on that, that is exactly what me and my wife trying to do with the electronics.
As for stick what we say, this past weekend we went to an air show and the kids didn't listen to us, so we've promised them there will be time out when we get home, sure enough there was and they were crying and everything but we did stick to what we said.
It is tough most of the time because people generally love their kids and tend to be soft with them but it will bite back hard.

Different kids, and different ages, should be treated differently...

Punishing a 2-4 year old for something they did, 5 hours after the incident, screams bad parenting (to me), but doing so with an 8 year old is a whole other matter...

That's another thing 'know it all's' like some of the 'fine examples' of society we have going here seem to fail to realize. Parenting is evolving with your child (and yourself, as many young parents grow up, in different ways, with their kids - which I'm sure someone would like to take out of context and exaggerate : )...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 1, 2012, 18:40 Alamar

Noooooooooooooo... I was really hoping they would license the Trine engine and get out a kickass '3D' side scroller... Hell, I would pay for their gba/DS games to be ported to PC.

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale May 31, 2012, 19:57 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on May 31, 2012, 00:52:
If you're not a fan of adventure games the Sierra ones are going to be a real chore. There are so many cheap kills. The Lucasarts adventure games were less annoying in this respect but it does provide some chuckles when you die on something silly or unexpected. I'll just walk over this way and EATEN BY WORM MONSTER! Game over! Restore?

I'd say skip it if you're not into adventure games already. I vaguely remember playing one of these games so I'm interested just to see what the story was all about. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm thinking I'll skip the EGA versions. (space quest 2 and 3)

The original monkey island poked fun at Sierra games by letting jump off a cliff (or the like) and it popped up a Restore? Button with a 'just joking' of something.

I was a huge Sierra fan way back, and their response to my lettered is one of the reason I'm a (kickass) coder : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
23. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 18:35 Alamar

Yakubs wrote on May 31, 2012, 13:09:
I wish they would port Demon's Souls too

I still have this for PS3, shrink wrapped, in the other room... I need to dedicate some time to that machine... It's currently a media box...

-Alamar

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
29. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:35 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:23:
Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:19:
Crysis 2 is such a weird game. Really enjoyed the open levels but they had adopted the hamfisted storytelling that CoD games use with loss of character control, laugh worthy plot that 14 year olds would mock and nonsensical cutscenes. Some of the stealthplay is fun but the aliens are totally boring as usual, I have no idea what Cryteks fixation on aliens is but it is always the weakest part of their games.
Exactly. You've at least got to give Ubisoft credit with Far Cry 2 for responding to the criticism of the original and removing the mutants, corny dialogue and bullshit sci-fi elements (though they made plenty of their own mistakes). Whereas Crytek responded by making exactly the same game with Crysis, except they replaced mutants with aliens.

I don't understand the alien complaints with the Crysis series... The entire story has, and always will be, about the aliens... Fighting human troops was just tacked on : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
4. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 13:23 Alamar

Another day, another D3 thread... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details May 29, 2012, 11:41 Alamar

Yaaaawwwwwn...

We'll see how I feel in a week, but currently, I'm not having withdrawals... Who knows though... When I bang my head against the 'Inferno wall' in D3, maybe I'll want to take a break ; )

Hit 60 last night on the Wizard... Just need to finish the rest of Act IV.

-Alamar

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
52. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 20:16 Alamar

So as an example... I just made 6 lvl 58 Rare Daggers...

Each requires 29 essence, 8 Hoof's, 8 Tomes 23,310 gold...

Got a few that were not bad... Best being the first, go figure... 328 dps, 129 int, 657 hp per kill, 8% bonus to Plague of Toads...

The second best were about the same dps, one with str, the other vit...

Then I check the AH... set my max to 20k, lvl 55-59 weapons... Pages upon pages of results... ok... 100 int... and some life on hit... Pages upon pages... Ok... 140 int, 100 vit, 100 life on hit... Reasonble list of results... Ended up buying one for 10k heh Same overall damage as the one I made, but with 4k more life (from the vit), and 200 hp per hit...

Ya... I'll keep training the BS, but holy crap, I have been burned nearly every time trying to make something... And really, the only reason is because there's an AH (which I love that there's access to - remember that I hate farming), but this is quite the oversight...

-Alamar

32. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 16:44 Alamar

Darks wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:34:
RollinThundr wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:07:
Alamar wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:45:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:39:
I love how everyone is an expert about itemization for legendaries vs. rares based on roughly 2 weeks worth of random drops, and a few forum posts by people with anecdotes.

Surely, the comments from those not even playing the game are amusing...

But in this regard, reality is handy, but perception is king...

The problems (in this area) with perception is that people don't value certain lines (affixes) on a legendary, when they have some real use... Personally, I skip stuff with 'increases health globe pickup range', but then, I die from not being able to reach a health globe, so maybe that's karma heh...

Also, that whole comparing higher level blues with lower lvl legendaries is useful... The 'real' problem is that while it may be one in a billion drops, if there is ever one blue with perfect high rolls that beats one (equal ilvl) orange with perfect low rolls people scream that the system is broken... I half agree, as I think it's pointless to have gear that has such an absurdly low chance of dropping, not be overpowered, but apparently they want orange gear to just be a tad stronger (partially for balance I imagine, and to prevent AH abuse - go figure).

-Alamar

my lvl 51 DH says hello btw. And that's just it, for items that drop as rarely as legendary items do, their stats flat out suck. In 51 levels I've found 2 total. 2! Through a complete play through of normal and Nightmare. One was a lvl 10 Witch Doctor helm with terrible stats, the other a lvl 41 quiver that if it didn't have +104 dex on it, I would have AH'ed in a heart beat since the rest of the stats on it suck.. oooo +3 to disipline! oooo Reduces the cost of Cluster arrow! (a skill I don't even use)

That's the problem in a nut shell, in Diablo II, uniques were exactly that unique and usually the high end one's were powerful. In Diablo III it's oh hope the randomize dice roll plays nice for you.

Dude, I agree, legendary items blow big time, hell sometimes a blue item will drop that makes the legendary items look horrid.

As for balance changes, ok blizz, thatís right letís make the classes even more under powered. As it is now, no one is able to get through Inferno mode because itís entirely OP. And donít ever go on the forums and post a negative comment about the game or blizz. It will get nuked, that is just pathetic when a company canít even allow customers to vent their frustrations.

Great job as usual Blizz, you never fail to disappoint.

I trump your 51 DH that has seen 2 with my 58 Wiz that has seen 0 (and that includes my 37 Barb)..

I personally like a large part of the system... I have a few pieces I consider really nice, and they have str/dex/int and vit on them... Guess what happens to those when I out lvl them? They go to my other 4 characters, eventually...

Maybe they should have called Legendaries 'Rarer's instead... People aren't bitching about Rare's and crappy stats, and I've 'DE'd' hundreds of trash rares...

As for 'no one is able to get through Inferno', maybe you should consider a few things... Like blatant lying not being very useful in a discussion, and that the game has been out 2 weeks... If this were a glaring bug, as opposed to progression, I'd be more included to waive the '2 week grace period' (whatever that 2 value becomes over time), but really.. Plenty of people are conquering Inferno, posting tips, selling loot, etc...

I should hit Inferno tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned for my nerd rage post about how hard it is : )

-Alamar

26. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 15:45 Alamar

Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:39:
I love how everyone is an expert about itemization for legendaries vs. rares based on roughly 2 weeks worth of random drops, and a few forum posts by people with anecdotes.

Surely, the comments from those not even playing the game are amusing...

But in this regard, reality is handy, but perception is king...

The problems (in this area) with perception is that people don't value certain lines (affixes) on a legendary, when they have some real use... Personally, I skip stuff with 'increases health globe pickup range', but then, I die from not being able to reach a health globe, so maybe that's karma heh...

Also, that whole comparing higher level blues with lower lvl legendaries is useful... The 'real' problem is that while it may be one in a billion drops, if there is ever one blue with perfect high rolls that beats one (equal ilvl) orange with perfect low rolls people scream that the system is broken... I half agree, as I think it's pointless to have gear that has such an absurdly low chance of dropping, not be overpowered, but apparently they want orange gear to just be a tad stronger (partially for balance I imagine, and to prevent AH abuse - go figure).

-Alamar

1792 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo