Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1831 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
20. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 13:35 Alamar

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:41:
NKD wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:23:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:07:
All is available on the good ship Piracy. I'll be taking that voyage until the inevitable GOTY edition hit's $5 on steam. Stuff that in your gearbox.

And this is the reason publishers perceive the PC market as a bunch of freeloaders.

Better to be a freeloader than a golddigger. If they want my money, they WILL treat me with more respect.

And while everyone "oooo's" and "ahhh's" at Skyrim being on the top ten steam sellers week after week, it also has remained on TPB top 100 for just as long. They are making their money and people are getting free stuff. Win=Win.

btw my steam library contains over 100 games and that's maybe half of my 'legit' library. I generally don't buy cheap indy crap either.

I don't see the point you're trying to make about having a 'legit' library after just stating you'll steal something, but throw a few pennies at them when it's dirt cheap...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
16. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 12:09 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:10:
What'd be the point of pre-ordering the game if it were included? Exactly, there'd be none.

I pre-ordered because they deserve my (discounted on GMG) money...

That's one of various reasons, surely more than none ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural Sep 4, 2012, 10:49 Alamar

Honestly, Blue, this is why I come here...

Not the Sims; the comments/puns/etc ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Trailer
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Trailer Sep 1, 2012, 08:14 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 07:43:
That's interesting because for me the game only even releases on the 21st...

I do plan to test out all characters in SP first though.. I learned that lesson the hard-way in Borderlands 1... I ran around with a completely borked Siren config until I remade the character in SP and noticed how much bad-assery you can dish out with a proper focus. Thing is, in a group you don't notice short-comings of a specific build. You only notice it when you solo an armored corrosive elder skag of doom.

Fire weapons are BAD ASS... Until you get to Moe and Marley, where you learn to keep various types on you : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
20. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 11:46 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:00:
Haha ok reading into this further I have to revise my earlier statement to be a bit harsher. Some of these changes sound dumb. Stuff like mana pools being capped and one talent from each line kills build diversity. The people who were calling this total homogenization seem to be correct. Also some of their changes just toss out all legacy support for the sake of it. Head enchants were just tossed and if you had one well tough.

Some of the game has evolved considerably over the years while other parts they just change arbitrarily to give people something new to dick around with before getting bored and repeating the cycle.

I don't know... I played a lot of competitive WoW over the years, and one thing I learned, is that talent points rarely mattered...

With BC and later, most players were going to sites like elitist jerks, that spoon fed them their optimal talents, stat priorities (ironically, wrong for most people), and rotations...

So while EJ isn't perfect, they do have a lot of math friendly people that were willing to put in the hundreds (some thousands) of hours to test which talents were best, and after that was all done, you usually had the 'perfect' spec, with maybe ~3 talents left over for fluff (run speed boosts and the like)...

The new system, that's all been simplified, and many of the talent trees offer some interesting choices. So just like the backlash they had with Diablo 3 and removing pointless stat allocations (which were only in the game to let people make bad choices), people call this 'dumbed down' and ironically, with less choices...

Now, to counter my own point about choices, in a few months, there will be optimal 'you must use these' talent builds for each spec, but even after that, most trees include 3+ tiers of 'utility' (sometimes pvp, sometimes defense/fun/wonky) abilities...

Such as... Druids can choose between a passive speed buff, a blink ability (shoot forward and stealth - awesome for pvp/escape), and a charge... That's a really tough choice for me; if I ever want to pvp, I love the middle one, even for moonkin/healer, but I'll also really miss charge, and passive speed buffs are always fun : )

In short, I like change, so I'm already at a different spot than most people : ) I'm looking forward to relearning classes, though I do feel a bit of regret now that I can't state 'I am competitive with every spec of every class', because enough of them changed just enough for them to need a few hours of finagglin : )

I'm also really looking forward to content I can do with less people, because I like to play with friends, and I haven't been replacing them as they go, so our guild has shrunk over time : ) (Area 52, Horde, Dialectic, if anyone here is somewhat interested : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
5. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 23:00 Alamar

As someone that never much cared for collecting mounts/pets, this patch is AWESOME...

I now have Raven Lord and Hippogryph on all my chars... and that's damned sexy : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Clockwork Empires Announced
8. Re: Clockwork Empires Announced Aug 27, 2012, 22:53 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 22:39:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 22:36:
Well for this type of game it'll have to have some nice graphics or it'll suck. Love the concept though.

Did you play DoD?

I believe that's why he's making the point...

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Shadows - Army of Evil Announced
1. Re: Dark Shadows - Army of Evil Announced Aug 27, 2012, 20:57 Alamar

I know many here disagree (Messiah), but I don't think melee combat and 'First Person' go well together...

I also like 3rd person action games...

-Alamar

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week
17. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:29 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 10:15:
Not wild about DLC so soon, for OMD, I'll probably check it out.

All parts of this comment I expected heh... Not necessarily from you, whoever you are... : )

The same thing happened with OMD... And while I'm unlikely to get OMD2 (still haven't put in the time on the first), the fact that DLC is 1/3 the cost of the game sucks, except that it's a $15 game, so I'm fine with it ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Darksiders II Patch Plans
9. Re: Darksiders II Patch Plans Aug 26, 2012, 09:48 Alamar

Perhaps if you're playing with a controller, the cameras are the same, but not so with KB/M, which is something I lauded about in the first, and is annoying as shit in the second...

I thoroughly enjoyed #1 (hence the pre-order), but just can't seem to 'get into' #2... For example, I ripped through Prototype 2 in 3 days (22h played), and practically have had to force myself to play D2, with 5h since whenever it launched.

I don't mind the loot system so much, but I gather more crap than I do in D3 heh...

-Alamar

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI DLC & Gold Edition Next Month
8. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI DLC & Gold Edition Next Month Aug 24, 2012, 09:58 Alamar

Stanly Manly wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 02:17:
*sigh* Still waiting for Etherlords 3...

Seconded!

-Alamar

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 09:54 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:24:
I wanted to buy Dark Souls on the PC but when I heard how poor the port was going to be I decided not to buy it. I don't want to give money to this and encourage more devs to think that doing the minimal amount of work and being shitty at it is the right thing to do.

Great game but the horrid job of a port just kills any interest I had on it.

No worries; they'll blame piracy for shitty PC sales : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 11:56 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:43:
But it lacks an endgame outside of pvp (3 faction/server bigass battlegrounds).

In the betas sure but there are dungeons and stuff to run plus supposedly some world events in the retail game. I agree though the gear stuff isn't as compelling but for better or worse that was a design intention. More of a focus on individual player contribution as opposed to items themselves. It's not the traditional "raid for 2-4 hours" endgame that many people might expect however and that turned out to be a big problem for The Old Republic. It worked for the first GW so maybe they will be fine, who knows.

The fact that GW2 isn't a subscription based model helps this... Even with only $15 a month, many feel the need to 'justify' that expense every month by putting in a given amount of time/effort... For GW2, you can drop the game for 6 months and (outside of the inevitable expansions), pick right up where you left off and, most importantly, still be competitive...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 11:31 Alamar

LesCaster wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:39:
For those of you that have tried the beta and are also WoW players, how do the two compare? Does GW2 improve upon WoW or is simply a different approach to the genre? If you could only play one, which would it be?

In short, GW2 got me re-interested in WoW : )

However, GW2 does add a few improvements to the genre... Cooperation is probably the highest... WoW originally added a good deal of cooperation with McGrouping, but you don't even need to bother with dealing with other people in GW2... The default is that everything is coop... So if you see a group of people, likely not friends, tackling a giant spud, run over and attack it... Gone are the days of ninja-tagging and the like, though I imagine it'll still take time for people to adjust, and not be pissy when you attack 'their' mob : )

For me, I have little interest in GW2, and mostly, that's because it doesn't change enough of the formula... Like a highly hyped movie, I went in with much excitement, and was thoroughly disappointed... Going in without that hype however, I likely would have enjoyed the experience a good deal more... It has some of the things I want; lots of content/starting areas/stories/etc, the aforementioned coop focus, etc... But it lacks an endgame outside of pvp (3 faction/server bigass battlegrounds).

It also lacks a gear treadmill, which a lot of people think they want ; ) The claim is that within an hour or two of hitting max level, you'll never need better gear... So why keep playing? Other than the feeling of superiority when you gank people in pvp, you can earn currency to pretty'fy your look (also in pve through dungeon grinding).

Also, their design isn't based on the 'holy trinity' (tank, healer, dps) of massives, so more focus is on each player to avoid damage, and heal themselves, which could turn out to be a lot of fun, but I imagine will result in a lot of bitching (mostly from people 'set in their ways').

I think that's all I have for now...

If you want new content, a new world, etc... Give it a try... I'll be taking a sha't at kung fu panda online : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
18. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 22, 2012, 22:34 Alamar

Denthor wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 21:37:
The (main) problem with Diablo 3 is that to keep items worthwhile they had to neuter the drop rates, well now it's the item rolls (stats on items) to keep them valuable on the AH.

This in turn with having a low level cap and making boss runs pointless just put people off their own game. There was literally no point in logging in for a quick boss run - as you got NOTHING in return.

I just laugh at the comments devs/cms make that the AH had no influence on game design. It was clearly built from the ground up to take advantage of it which in return shat on their own gamers. The game lost what it was that made diablo in the first place - an Item hunt. Instead it's just a gold grind or an AH simulator.

This is what I just 'don't get' time and again with all these comments regurgitated...

If it was 'clearly built from the ground up' to use the AH, how can the prequel be all about the 'item hunt'... Just because people give up and use the AH doesn't mean it's required...

And while people, like below, want useful items more often, the more useful an item is that drops, the longer it's going to last... Just like the complaints in Borderlands... I honestly don't get what you people want... Upgrades every level? Would making loot based upgrades that happen very often, therefore having to scale the monsters much faster, alleviate this 'issue'?

-Alamar

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
119. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 19:33 Alamar

Overon wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 17:18:
I want to see the basis of the 93-95% piracy rate. What is his source? I want to see a robust and scientifically rigorous and methodologically sound study.

The 93-95% rate seems absurd on its face. How can a maximum of 7% pay for your stuff and you can remain in business?

I don't know if 93-95%, or even the other numbers we've heard over the years are close, but to answer your question...

Software isn't a physical thing... So stealing it doesn't affect it's sales (outside of the lesser desire to buy it at that point), as you're not taking the chance to buy it away from someone else (as opposed to the five finger discount in a store).

-Alamar

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
18. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:42 Alamar

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 14:03:
Just like in the case of Blizzard nowadays, the name means nothing. It's who is behind it. I'll wait for the original Black Isle developers to release some kickstarter projects.

I think your 'solution' is just as ignorant as your complaint...

What I mean is... Even if you got 'the whole team' back together to make something, doesn't mean what they put it isn't going to be shit...

Explained another way, it's just fixating, or minimalizing other important contributors, such as timing, funding, the market in general, the weather, etc...

Plus, you're really just saying the name of a developer/celebrity matters, which is precisely what you're saying doesn't... I'm a big Edward Norton fan, for example, but he has some (recent) crappy movies, and his personal performance is substandard...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out
30. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 13:14 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:02:
Holy crap with the buffing... Some of these are insane... I already thought this was an awesome ability, but:

Seven-Sided Strike

Most people just took it for the invincibility frames to be honest but now at least the damage will be worthwhile.

I disagree... I think most people took (or didn't take) it because it was cool... Most of the high end builds had the obvious invulnerability (I forget the name), but I took SSS for invul, and the damage was cool : )

On another note...
-Shielding monsters will no longer shield if they are the last monster left in the area, and only one monster in a given pack can be shielded at a time

I like this, but mostly because I fought a group once that was shielding and frozen, and bugged (not an official affix), where it would shield for 5s, unshield for 1-2s and shield right back up... And seemingly drop an unusually high number of frozen 'orbs'. Fight took me like 5 minutes because every time I was able to attack, it was shielded, and 'every' time it wasn't shielded, I had to move from frozen orbs.

Good times ; )

-Alamar

27. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:59 Alamar

Holy crap with the buffing... Some of these are insane... I already thought this was an awesome ability, but:

Seven-Sided Strike
Weapon damage increased from 777% to 1777% over 7 hits
Skill Rune - Sudden Assault
Weapon damage increased from 1007%to 2309% over 7 hits
Skill Rune - Several-Sided Strike
The 2 extra hits now also increase the total duration of the spell (which increases the amount of time that you are invulnerable)
Skill Rune - Fulminating Onslaught
Weapon damage of each explosion increased from 111% to 254%

Edit: And 3 very nice 'quality of life' improvements...
-The text color of gems, potions, crafting pages and tomes dropped on the ground has been changed from white to light blue
-The maximum stack size of gems has been increased from 30 to 100
-The gem drop sound effect is now more noticeable

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2012, 13:06.

18. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:03 Alamar

I may start up some D3 action again with this patch, though, I don't want to get that thought in my head for a few days... until 1.04.3 or so (aka, the inevitable mini patch patches).

-Alamar

1831 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo