Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 09:54 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:24:
I wanted to buy Dark Souls on the PC but when I heard how poor the port was going to be I decided not to buy it. I don't want to give money to this and encourage more devs to think that doing the minimal amount of work and being shitty at it is the right thing to do.

Great game but the horrid job of a port just kills any interest I had on it.

No worries; they'll blame piracy for shitty PC sales : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 11:56 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:43:
But it lacks an endgame outside of pvp (3 faction/server bigass battlegrounds).

In the betas sure but there are dungeons and stuff to run plus supposedly some world events in the retail game. I agree though the gear stuff isn't as compelling but for better or worse that was a design intention. More of a focus on individual player contribution as opposed to items themselves. It's not the traditional "raid for 2-4 hours" endgame that many people might expect however and that turned out to be a big problem for The Old Republic. It worked for the first GW so maybe they will be fine, who knows.

The fact that GW2 isn't a subscription based model helps this... Even with only $15 a month, many feel the need to 'justify' that expense every month by putting in a given amount of time/effort... For GW2, you can drop the game for 6 months and (outside of the inevitable expansions), pick right up where you left off and, most importantly, still be competitive...

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 11:31 Alamar

LesCaster wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:39:
For those of you that have tried the beta and are also WoW players, how do the two compare? Does GW2 improve upon WoW or is simply a different approach to the genre? If you could only play one, which would it be?

In short, GW2 got me re-interested in WoW : )

However, GW2 does add a few improvements to the genre... Cooperation is probably the highest... WoW originally added a good deal of cooperation with McGrouping, but you don't even need to bother with dealing with other people in GW2... The default is that everything is coop... So if you see a group of people, likely not friends, tackling a giant spud, run over and attack it... Gone are the days of ninja-tagging and the like, though I imagine it'll still take time for people to adjust, and not be pissy when you attack 'their' mob : )

For me, I have little interest in GW2, and mostly, that's because it doesn't change enough of the formula... Like a highly hyped movie, I went in with much excitement, and was thoroughly disappointed... Going in without that hype however, I likely would have enjoyed the experience a good deal more... It has some of the things I want; lots of content/starting areas/stories/etc, the aforementioned coop focus, etc... But it lacks an endgame outside of pvp (3 faction/server bigass battlegrounds).

It also lacks a gear treadmill, which a lot of people think they want ; ) The claim is that within an hour or two of hitting max level, you'll never need better gear... So why keep playing? Other than the feeling of superiority when you gank people in pvp, you can earn currency to pretty'fy your look (also in pve through dungeon grinding).

Also, their design isn't based on the 'holy trinity' (tank, healer, dps) of massives, so more focus is on each player to avoid damage, and heal themselves, which could turn out to be a lot of fun, but I imagine will result in a lot of bitching (mostly from people 'set in their ways').

I think that's all I have for now...

If you want new content, a new world, etc... Give it a try... I'll be taking a sha't at kung fu panda online : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
18. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 22, 2012, 22:34 Alamar

Denthor wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 21:37:
The (main) problem with Diablo 3 is that to keep items worthwhile they had to neuter the drop rates, well now it's the item rolls (stats on items) to keep them valuable on the AH.

This in turn with having a low level cap and making boss runs pointless just put people off their own game. There was literally no point in logging in for a quick boss run - as you got NOTHING in return.

I just laugh at the comments devs/cms make that the AH had no influence on game design. It was clearly built from the ground up to take advantage of it which in return shat on their own gamers. The game lost what it was that made diablo in the first place - an Item hunt. Instead it's just a gold grind or an AH simulator.

This is what I just 'don't get' time and again with all these comments regurgitated...

If it was 'clearly built from the ground up' to use the AH, how can the prequel be all about the 'item hunt'... Just because people give up and use the AH doesn't mean it's required...

And while people, like below, want useful items more often, the more useful an item is that drops, the longer it's going to last... Just like the complaints in Borderlands... I honestly don't get what you people want... Upgrades every level? Would making loot based upgrades that happen very often, therefore having to scale the monsters much faster, alleviate this 'issue'?

-Alamar

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
119. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 19:33 Alamar

Overon wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 17:18:
I want to see the basis of the 93-95% piracy rate. What is his source? I want to see a robust and scientifically rigorous and methodologically sound study.

The 93-95% rate seems absurd on its face. How can a maximum of 7% pay for your stuff and you can remain in business?

I don't know if 93-95%, or even the other numbers we've heard over the years are close, but to answer your question...

Software isn't a physical thing... So stealing it doesn't affect it's sales (outside of the lesser desire to buy it at that point), as you're not taking the chance to buy it away from someone else (as opposed to the five finger discount in a store).

-Alamar

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
18. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:42 Alamar

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 14:03:
Just like in the case of Blizzard nowadays, the name means nothing. It's who is behind it. I'll wait for the original Black Isle developers to release some kickstarter projects.

I think your 'solution' is just as ignorant as your complaint...

What I mean is... Even if you got 'the whole team' back together to make something, doesn't mean what they put it isn't going to be shit...

Explained another way, it's just fixating, or minimalizing other important contributors, such as timing, funding, the market in general, the weather, etc...

Plus, you're really just saying the name of a developer/celebrity matters, which is precisely what you're saying doesn't... I'm a big Edward Norton fan, for example, but he has some (recent) crappy movies, and his personal performance is substandard...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out
30. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 13:14 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:02:
Holy crap with the buffing... Some of these are insane... I already thought this was an awesome ability, but:

Seven-Sided Strike

Most people just took it for the invincibility frames to be honest but now at least the damage will be worthwhile.

I disagree... I think most people took (or didn't take) it because it was cool... Most of the high end builds had the obvious invulnerability (I forget the name), but I took SSS for invul, and the damage was cool : )

On another note...
-Shielding monsters will no longer shield if they are the last monster left in the area, and only one monster in a given pack can be shielded at a time

I like this, but mostly because I fought a group once that was shielding and frozen, and bugged (not an official affix), where it would shield for 5s, unshield for 1-2s and shield right back up... And seemingly drop an unusually high number of frozen 'orbs'. Fight took me like 5 minutes because every time I was able to attack, it was shielded, and 'every' time it wasn't shielded, I had to move from frozen orbs.

Good times ; )

-Alamar

27. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:59 Alamar

Holy crap with the buffing... Some of these are insane... I already thought this was an awesome ability, but:

Seven-Sided Strike
Weapon damage increased from 777% to 1777% over 7 hits
Skill Rune - Sudden Assault
Weapon damage increased from 1007%to 2309% over 7 hits
Skill Rune - Several-Sided Strike
The 2 extra hits now also increase the total duration of the spell (which increases the amount of time that you are invulnerable)
Skill Rune - Fulminating Onslaught
Weapon damage of each explosion increased from 111% to 254%

Edit: And 3 very nice 'quality of life' improvements...
-The text color of gems, potions, crafting pages and tomes dropped on the ground has been changed from white to light blue
-The maximum stack size of gems has been increased from 30 to 100
-The gem drop sound effect is now more noticeable

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2012, 13:06.

18. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:03 Alamar

I may start up some D3 action again with this patch, though, I don't want to get that thought in my head for a few days... until 1.04.3 or so (aka, the inevitable mini patch patches).

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
19. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:23 Alamar

Always scary posting in D3 threads when not conforming... but... I like this change... And think it's exactly what a lot of D2 diehards have been asking for... What other reason was there to lvl to 99 other than to say it's done?

For me, I like levelling... But what I like about levelling is getting new stuff, and getting stronger (a mathematical illusion nonetheless), so I'm not sure how appealing this will be for me. On the one hand, if I continue to play, I'll be getting something out of it... On the other, it's not much... But it could be enough to bypass some gear-restricted hurdles (not sure how much those stat increases will matter).

And, in the end, the big issue I have with it, is the extra magic find just means finding more trash... I hated how much of an inventory 'mini game' Titan Quest/Torchlight were (I don't remember D2 being as bad, but my 'youth' (and rampant obsessing) may be affecting that).

Edit: I'm also eating from a bag of fresh sour keys, so that may skew my mood (and therefore opinions) positively : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 17:34.

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year
16. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:50 Alamar

First off, I think it's awesomely ironic so many 'hardcore' PC gamers are raving over a casual title : )

Secondly... PvZ2 will include always online DRM with a built in seed/flower auction house and paid DLC plants : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 20, 2012, 13:42 Alamar

This is why we can't (and shouldn't) trust 'cloud' backups... They (MS at least) can apparently browse your content at will (or just when it's added?), even if it's 'private'...

I personally encrypt all my google drive backups, but that only goes so far... They have the technology...

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 20:05 Alamar

Hump wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 18:15:
The Tediore video is wonderfully sick.

Maliwan sounds like Jeri Ryan...

-Alamar

News Comments > WoW Adding All Race Access
20. Re: WoW Adding All Race Access Aug 17, 2012, 17:18 Alamar

My hopes raised for a second with my mind reading ahead 'WoW Adding All Race Class Combinations'... But no... : (

I want my goober kitty...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 14, 2012, 11:00 Alamar

Dev wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 00:57:
Double Fine's Iron Brigade is 20% off on steam.

Annnnnnd bought... Though, Darksiders II unlocked last night, so might be a week before I take a crack at it...

I really liked the FPS/TD blend that Sanctum offered, so more of that style is good... The campy humor looks amusing, at times, but I could probably take it or leave it...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2012, 21:22 Alamar

I swear... If I hadn't been messing around on Reddit lately, I wouldn't have noticed the olympics were on... I also saw exactly none of it, minus some chick with an unimpressed look, and some /r/waterpoloboobs... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 This Month
2. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 10, 2012, 19:59 Alamar

Unleash the Told-ya-so's...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2012, 11:42 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 11:31:
When he wants to be stubborn, he can be quite mule-headed.

I've got a cat that's the same way. She wants to climb through the miniblinds and break them. It's been a battle, and I'd normally just raise them, but I don't want people peering into a empty house when no one is there...

I think a line of black pepper in the windowsill might have finally caused her to give up...for NOW. (This also works when the cat insists on rooting through a bathroom trashcan for qtips as toys...)

Apparently, tinfoil works great with cats... As most hate the feel, at least of scratching through it (it's more of a furniture protector).

Which is ironic, because there's just about nothing cats like more than batting around a ball of tinfoil : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
13. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 23:00 Alamar

Prez wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:23:
A developer making iOS games may as well be dead as far as I'm concerned, but the key thing in this case is that Epic did a good thing here. These guys woukd be out of work were it not for Epic. Who knows - having all that PC gaming talent close at hand may convince them to fund these guys so they can do a PC game down the road.

Also good to consider cross platform, which I realize a lot of people here already dislike, but mobile games have begun being ported to PC, and while maybe not idea for epic, it's a good system/path for indies..

Two games regarding this are Galaxy On Fire 2 and Babel Rising...

-Alamar

News Comments > Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled
4. Re: Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled Aug 8, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

Even with how crazy popular 'in app purchasing' has become, it can't be an easy sell to a backer/publisher... 'Wait... you want gobs of money for a product you're giving away, with optional purchases?'

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo