Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1792 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
42. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 08:34 Alamar

Siygess wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 07:54:
Hey, can anyone direct me to a working download link for TL2? The 1.4Gb offline installer on the Torchlight 2 page hasn't worked for me since it went live last night (it's still "Starting..") and although I've heard that Perfect World have their own client I haven't been able to find it on their site, even though I bought TL2 through them.

Blast, that will teach me to buy a game elsewhere when I could have purchased it on Steam instead..

Games can still be bought outside of Steam?

The 'nice' thing about everything using Steam DRM, is that it's easy as shit to crack when it's already been done for other games... Like instant launch day easily served piracy... They don't even have to try any more heh...

Anyhow... Piracy bad...

Edit: This is one of the reasons I always thought third-party-anti-piracy was a bad idea... Crackers used to have to work hard to track down the IsThisProductValid() and change a bit/byte/etc... Some companies even put it into multiple places... But when third-party additions were added, they were more easily (and ironically) circumvented because the crackers knew precisely what to look for (and sometimes where). Anecdotally, it's something I could have excelled at, but had just about zero interest in : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2012, 08:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
22. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 22:39 Alamar

2-3 hours in myself... and I have already found 5 set items heh... 4/3 of one set, and another 1/3... They're so not powerful (being low level, and more frequent), but it's fun to collect...

Enjoying my embermage... The starter fire attack is great, but I'm loving the Prismatic Bolt more, and I was even able to get my 'automated' skill point back for the fire attack, so that's a really nice feature.

This game screams variety and randomness, which is a nice change of pace from D3's linearity...

-Alamar

News Comments > Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode
22. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 15:43 Alamar

Finally, a much requested feature is being added...

Too bad it's not the much more requested 'Be Offline' feature...

Edit: hahaha.. 'My entire friends list had already long figured out this feature and have been 'appearing offline' for a while : )'

Edit: I see no 'TL2 shipped' announcement (maybe Blue is too busy playing it), so I vote this be the TL2 thread until then... : )

How are people liking it? : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2012, 16:08.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
8. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Sep 19, 2012, 23:31 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 22:43:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:09:
deqer wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:02:
Had I known the game would turn out the way it did, I would not have bothered with it.
I don't like where the game has gotten to, but there's no way I could say that. I enjoyed the hell out of the first four years I played the game.

Of course, I agree with you. deqer's comment is beyond absurd.

I am thoroughly convinced that is what s/he is going for...

As for no start left in AV... lead by example.. go get a tower back... no need to defend your own since it's not happening, except in my BG(group) where we get back capped all the time : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 6
13. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Sep 19, 2012, 13:48 Alamar

Fion wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 13:18:
It's most def a solid bundle. Unfortunately I already own most of the game.s I'll wait and see what else they add over the next week or so.

I'm on the fence myself, already owning all but vessel and dust force, and I recommend each of them, especially at the insane $1 (heh) cost : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
21. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 23:25 Alamar

Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:33:
Teddy wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:25:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 19:35:
I mentioned in the Borderlands 2 IGN review comments section, but I suppose I'll ask here also: When I see RPG/FPS I think Deus Ex/Bioshock. I loved System Shock co-op, wondering will I get a similar experience?

Absolutely and irrefutably no.

While those games would be considered RPG/FPS games, this is more FPS/RPG. If that makes any sense. Shooter first, RPG a distant second. More akin to Diablo as a first person shooter than any sort of deep involved RPG experience.

Ahh... I see. I hate it when reviewers and members of the game dev community like to throw around words like "RPG elements" and the like for terms which don't even exist. I'd like to call those more like advanced-FPS games. (I don't want to hear "RPG" mentioned plz)

I have always considered 'RPG elements' things like xp and levels, skill/stat boosts, etc... If you're looking for the story 'RPG elements', try some indie titles, as it rarely makes it into the AAA space... regarding FPS' that is...

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Sep 15, 2012, 20:52 Alamar

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 18:45:
Bordlerands was one of the most overrated games I've ever played. Gameplay was ridiculously repetitive, you spend the entire game doing the same thing you do in the first five minutes. There were literally only three enemies that you fought over and over and over again the entire game. The environment was drab and boring, there was no creativity whatsoever in designing anything you discover. And the bazillions of weapons were just randomized variations of themselves, see one you've seen them all. Story? Pfffttt, terrible. Also the most anti-climatic ending of all time. I have nooooo idea what all the fanfare was about. Yes you can play it with friends, which I did from start to finish, but we were both bored to tears the majority of the game.

Ahhh.. Good ol exaggeration... Losing arguments since the year 0... Three days my ass...

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 15, 2012, 20:49 Alamar

Definitely not the worst trailer... But then, I have a memory... Or rather, I can't remember worse one, but I remember that there is one : )

Anyhow... I liked the part where the Human, Night Elf, and Tauren came out of the water... Nice to see everyone getting along : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Back in my day, commercials were when you went to the bathroom... And you damn well liked it... But not too much, or you'd miss some of your show : )

-Alamar

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.0.5 Details
3. Re: More Diablo III 1.0.5 Details Sep 14, 2012, 23:28 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 22:16:
The biggest challenge in this game is trying to find gear you can use rather than going to the AH but I guess that's working as intended.

When's the last time you've found an item which provides a general buff to your player? I found some 'okay' weapons since the 1.04 patch which went towards buying a nice 1.04 Messerschmidt's Reaver but that's about it since I stopped playing and picked up GW2.

I had bought a 630 damage 1h a while back... Few days ago, I got a Rare (I ignore blues now heh), that is 980... The 5k or so boost in damage was about 20-25% of my total, buffed, so I would say that qualifies : )

I also upgrade an armor piece, but it wasn't nearly as massive, and I can't remember which piece...

This is with my wizard, that I just took into Act 2 for the first time today/yesterday, and I'm doing well... Fast + Fire Chains still caused a few (very quick) deaths, but otherwise, it's going well... With the 25% Inferno mob damage nerf coming, I'm afraid it's going to get close to the boring level of challenge, but at least I can rip through, beat the big D and call it done : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Tom Hanks... Sep 13, 2012, 17:11 Alamar

Child abuse has never been so funny... or something...

-Alamar

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2012, 17:03 Alamar

Foly huck... Stupid should not be allowed to drive...

And only cited... Until some kid books it and she has an epiphany of why both sides of a street stop for school buses...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak
8. Re: Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak Sep 13, 2012, 15:05 Alamar

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:42:
Armengar wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:23:
Queue the usual habitual diablo 3 ragers....

Well I'm still having fun in it.

I'm sorry, all I heard was "torchlight 2 comes out in a week!"

I don't have very high expectations myself, but I am hopeful... But holy crap... BL2 Tuesday, TL2 Thursday, Mists the following Tuesday... And next week is the busiest I'll have been at work in months...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak
3. Re: Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak Sep 13, 2012, 14:27 Alamar

I played an hour or two the other night on my Wizard... Found a weapon that upped my damage 'score' by 4-5k (25%), so I can totally understand how people aren't ever getting upgrades n stuff heh...

I also got Paragon Level ONE... I was so proud of the shiny colors and flashes going off I nearly died...

I think I'll play a bit more tonight... See how Act II feels on that character... Act I was boringly slow/easy even before the upgrade...

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:26:
Just got my hardcore WD to 60 last night. I'm finding my heart skips a beat every time her health get's in the 20% range and lower now.

Gratzies... That takes some dedication and/or farming : ) I don't do well with either ; ) Got a Monk HC to 35 or so, but haven't played it in months. And the longer I wait, the worse off it's going to be ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 14:16 Alamar

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:35:
Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:18:
Holy trinity creates a ludicrous inter-dependency and quite frankly has been done to death, there was room for innovation here and they achieved it.

This is most likely the sole reason the traditional MMO model is no longer appealing to me. You get a good healer, competent tank and non-retarded DPS and you are done. The game is over. Yeah, it feels good to succeed at a dungeon a few times because you know when to interrupt or you know that you have to press the shiny red button at the right time, but that gets old fast. Even games like Rift where you could fill multiple roles in the Trinity with one class just made it so you felt less encouraged to make alts.

It all become too blatantly a game a numbers at that point. At least GW2 for now is distracting me by attacking the issue from a different angle.

Other than being new, yay, how is GW2 (or any game) different than what you described?

Get a few competent players, irregardless of role (whether designed or implied), and content is 'faceroll'... The challenge is done, you've beat the game...

What is left? New content, such as that coming in expansions, and new games...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
16. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 15:28 Alamar

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:54:
Matshock wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:49:
What was funny was buying that last D&D action game on disc then finding that all it did was connect to Steam and start a dowload. The disc itself had no installation files on it!

Now that's plain lazy of them. I bought Civ5 at retail (it used steam too) and it had the install files on disc, must be developer specific. I have a monthly cap so that'd piss me off if it happened.

Agreed... The only reason I would buy a physical product now is to have it on hand for easy (re-)installs... But at least you get a physical box with a CD Key in it : ) Maybe a manual too? Or are they going purely digital now?

-Alamar

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2012, 15:21 Alamar

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:39:
The iPad Mini will probably be announced at the October event.

New iPhone info was interesting but I'm perfectly happy with my little Android phone for the time being, never really understood the people who upgrade phones yearly or whatever. Huge diminishing returns on that stuff considering app performance requirements are relatively static compared to something like computer games or etc.

PC's, in my opinion, have gotten pretty stagnant... Sure, people still joke about having to upgrade all the time, and 'by the time you get home, it's already obsolete', but those jokes are a decade old... I still upgrade too often, but a non-value PC is good for about 3 years for most users..

Mobile devices are expanding much faster, and while a LOT of apps are made to be very simple and what not, that's been changing for a few years...

So really, my 'analogy' is that I upgrade PC parts yearly, so why not upgrade mobile parts yearly? I don't; I use an iPod 3rd, and now a Nexus 7, but I can see the appeal, especially for those that are using it as much as we, the PC gamers, use PCs.

-Alamar

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2012, 14:36 Alamar

Blue wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 09:50:
That's right, the day that iPhone 6 rumors begin!

Good stuff : )

I just found out sometime this afternoon that there was info about the new iPhone.. Which I generally don't care about, but looking forward to info on the iPad Mini...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
55. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 06:57:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 23:59:
The 3570K isn't locked. I don't think any Intel CPU is locked anymore. I'm running at 4.3 GHz on air right now and that was with an automated overclocking process. If you start messing with the voltages and other things manually, you could likely get it up to 4.8 GHz or more with watercooling.

And when buying memory, you should always go for 2 sticks, not 4. You can't use dual channel with 4 and going for 2 leaves space for more should you need them in the future.

As for SLI, I can't really recommend it. There are a lot of games that either don't support it or have issues when it is enabled (image quality and performance issues). Nvidia is pretty good about fixing these issues in a relatively timely manner but it's still annoying.

With 2 sticks and 4 sticks you do indeed get dual channel, with 1 and 3 sticks you dont. As for SLI i've never encountered a single issue and i play just about every game under the sun.

I guess you're right about 4 sticks being able to dual channel. Still, if you can get 2 sticks, I don't know why you'd want 4.

As for SLI, just look up "SLI issues" on Google.

Two 8GB sticks is still considerably pricier than four 4GB sticks...

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2012, 08:26 Alamar

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:57:
Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:35:
Julio wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 16:54:
Was that article paid for by Apple? Eliminating price fixing is a good thing for competition. I hope the government makes Apple wear a ballgag when they fine them.

Ebooks without price fixing allow authors to make more money than they used to, rewarding the creator of the work, not the middlemen.

That's what I thought too. It's astounding - every article I read lately is so embarrassingly slanted to "pro-Apple" it's enough to make me wonder if there's anyone objective out there in journo-land anymore or if everyone is an Apple shill.

I sometimes wonder if Blue intentionally throws in a wacky link here and there, just to see who's reading...

I rarely read these articles, but I often browse the comments ; )

-Alamar

1792 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo