Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1814 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
11. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:35 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:28:
*facepalm*

Guys, seriously... This DOES NOT affect the Kickstarter in ANY WAY. This is the REASON for the Kickstarter. They put all they had, resources-wise, at the tail end of their employment with Microsoft, into starting development of this game. Now they have nothing left, except an early prototype and a crowd-funding pitch. If the KS succeeds, they will HIRE BACK as many people as they can afford to make this game. If not, then they're finished.

In other words, you can't let this news deter you from backing the project, if you would otherwise be interested in it. This makes them no different than any other indie start-up company, which would not be able to make the game if they don't meet the funding goal. Unlike, say, the American McGee people who were asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars to polish an existing title that they were going to release anyway.

This is basically how I see it, and if anything, urges me moreso to kick in... As it's more in line with what I think KS should be about; Money that's required to make it...

Also explains why they're asking for 'so much'... As opposed to so many recent KS projects where you just know the dev wants some 'free' funding...

Anyhow... Good luck to them ; ) I like Chris' attitude in a bunch of his vids (and the two Wildman ones), and he's someone I would have liked to work for had things worked out differently.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Indie Royale Snow Storm Bundle
2. Re: Indie Royale Snow Storm Bundle Jan 16, 2013, 18:06 Alamar

ochentay4 wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 13:29:
This Royale bundles are getting less and less appealing. I havent bought any of them for months. Sad really as I love Indie games.

On the one hand... How can 6 games for $5 not be appealing?

On the other hand... I agree... Though I've never picked up anything from Indie Royale, or gala... and only the one humble bundle...

But it's for different reasons... Including... I don't want to only put $1 per game into a bundle, and they don't interest me enough to put in 10x that, so in the end, they get 0...

-Alamar

News Comments > Edge: Valve, Mojang "Greatest Developers"
35. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:59 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:13:
Special mention goes to Level Up Labs for Defender's Quest, a truly inspired combination of Tower Defense and RPG, with a cohesive story to boot.

Thanks for the suggestion... Got part way through the demo, and bought it...

I'll likely never finish it (That's who I am), but throwing $15 at a small dev with some originality is good ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 Alamar

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 09:50:
Anyone on the fence about Chivalry needs to watch the below video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B9sHBbyhs

The game is awesome.

Thank you... The first few minutes quite completely pushed me off the fence ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 14, 2013, 10:17 Alamar

'How I launched', is a good, if nostalgic, read...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
8. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 Alamar

Respen wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 08:58:
This wouldn't have anything to do with Path of Exile going open beta in 8 days, would it?

I'm sure it does... That's why this is the first post release update for D3...

-Alamar

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
40. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:59 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:33:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:45:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:28:
Who whoa whoa...somebody DIDN'T get ST for xmas??????

edit: It's on Bat's wishlist, too - WTF?

I missed TWO people????

This is a sad, sad day...

Creston

Hehehe....TWO?!

No, wait, forget what I said.

This posting did NOT happen.

Move along, please.

Am I the only one that would have preferred snuggle truck over the 0 gifts I got? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
10. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 17:03 Alamar

Techie714 wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 16:18:
IMHO these 3 games are MUST buys & play

Farcry 3
Sleeping Dogs (With the texture pack..O...M...G!)
Dishonored

I disagree with all three... Mainly because I've not played any...

I did just run through Rage this holiday season, after picking it up at the previous sale for $5, and was highly and pleasantly surprised... Enjoyed it quite a bit : )

-Alamar

News Comments > GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter
15. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 10:41 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 08:42:
Unity - 3D Game Development, should know 3D Engines and C#/C++, Vector Algebra.

Adventure Game Studio - 2D games, should know C.

RPG Maker - 2D, uses Ruby scripting.

Game Maker - 2D, C

Unreal Dev Kit - 3D, Unreal Script

PC Gamer had a big article on this stuff. But yeah, the assets are probably the big factor with this. I tried making a Diablo type game a LONG time ago and fizzled out when I tried to make music and art for the project.

As a professional developer, and hobby game developer, I second this comment on assets...

Free game engines have come along so far over the last 10+ years, and if they were around when I started, things may have gone differently : )

As for now, I've played around with UDK, which I like, and taken a quick look at Unity and it looks promising, but the problems I have with these engines, is that they don't handle the kind of stuff I want to make...

For example, while I'm not making a minecraft clone, it is a great example of something that doesn't work well in these kinds of engines, because they typically use a lot of static objects, and objects in these (and other) engines are huge... Even with some performance tweaks, each cube would likely be rendered as a separate object... It's possible that under the hood, it would be batched 'properly', but it didn't seem to me that was the way when I was messing around with it... Incidentally, one of the biggest mistakes new coders make with learning D3D/OpenGL is not properly batching models : )

Which is fine... 'do many things' engines like these are meant to be generic so they can handle a lot of possibilities, but if you 'go against the grain' and try to build something atypical, it gets messier.

In short, to reiterate Alien's sentiment; it's all about the assets, especially when using an engine... The engine does so much for you, a small project is going to need one coder/scripter, and like five model/art/etc asset makers, and that's just not the way the hobby world works (Seems everyone and their uncle is a coder, and one in fifty can create some low quality art : )

In shorter... If you're interested in getting into game dev, or hobby game dev... Learn to draw ; ) Or model, skin, rig, etc...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
39. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 16:36 Alamar

I guess this sickness has really gotten to me... I totally forgot this was coming...

-Alamar

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
9. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 21:20 Alamar

Dammit... I should have waited a year for the GOTY version ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 Alamar

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:27:
I've been revisiting Diablo 3 over the past few weeks, they did a lot to fix up the games issues in terms of balance and design but forgot about loot *again*.

Yellow is the new blue. You find so many yellows that you stop identifying them until you get back into town. Same problems as launch, useful drops are so rare that you end up on the AH to get stuff. I played pretty hardcore for a few weeks with 3 buddies, between the lot of us we had one shitty legendary with horrible stats roll and a bunch of marginal yellow upgrades.

How they continue to fuck this up is beyond me. Make the game like Torchlight 2, I was drowning in awesome loot and the choices were often difficult. Rather than vendoring shit I actually filled up my stash, finding many items that would be useful for different classes and builds. Compelling choices, not waiting a year to find a diamond in a mountain of horseshit.

Monster Power kinda sucks BTW, the increase in drop percentages and loot quality often isn't worth the increasing run times. The games loot system revolves around their revenue stream more than it does gameplay enjoyment.

Anyways still really flawed and frustrating. It sucks because the gameplay and balance is hugely improved but the loot system is just inherently fucked. Enjoy finding the only legendary you might all week and having it be some shitty Wizard item with a strength roll.

So admittedly, I didn't play TL2 nearly as much as D3, as it wasn't nearly as fun/interesting/varied, but I found the loot systems to be the same, and your complaints of D3 are valid for (my experience in) TL2... Too much crappy loot... And this isn't limited to either/both games, as I found 'loot hell' to be a pain in Titan Quest, and other games... Maybe I've changed as I've grown up, but I find these games often a hassle with how much colored shit is always dropping that goes in the trash...

Monster Power is awesome, but no, it's not worth it cranking it if it slows your game too much... That's not what it's for.. It's for the richer to get richer, faster... And offer a challenge to people with insane gear... I only run on MP2 or so, though I tried 4-5 or so when it was introduced, and holy crap that's a little sadistic (at my gear level).

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 Alamar

I still enjoy the game... I don't play obsessively, and with 3 or 4 60s, with various Inferno experience, I rarely have over a million gold... Though, if I had one 60, and could play the same thing over n over, I might have a lot more...

I also very rarely used the AH pre-Inferno, and even now, other than having fun sniping low legendary bids (~10-200k), I wasn't using it much...

Which sounds like a lot, and can be, but I always find it interesting seeing all the threads (on Diablofans.com) where someone is like, 'I don't know what to do to run MP(insert 5+), my budget is 250 mil'... That's an absurd amount of gold, to me, but it's a drop in the hat/bucket for some people that still play a LOT...

Anyhow... My first sentence is all that matters ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
17. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 14:56 Alamar

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 14:27:
OMG IT'S IN THE CLOUD!

I guess this could be useful for simpletons that have no clue how to maximize performance in a game. I fail to see how anyone even remotely capable would find this useful, however.

Creston

There are only 2 types of people in the world... Simpletons, and those remotely capable (to maximize game performance)...

-Alamar

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Dec 8, 2012, 11:12 Alamar

Shok wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 23:14:
I would love for once to read something on reddit and not have stupid little joke comments with a play on words or other immaturity dominate the top posts in the thread.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and don't find classroom banter funny anymore.

I hope I'm never too old for puns... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
32. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:38:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:27:
Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:12:
Man, that has to be the craziest value bundle of all time.

If I didn't already have everything except Darksiders, I'd pick this up. In fact, I may just pick it all up again and give everything away. (Edit, since they give Steam keys, would that even be possible if I already had almost everything? Steam doesn't give you double copies, does it?)

Creston

No can do. They only give you one key for all the games.

Nah they actually give you a second key for Saints Row 3. Which I already have, so I couldn't enter it...
*cough* does anyone want sr3? ahem.

edit: err... if for some reason you can't or won't get it for a fraction of a dollar in this bundle.

I already have most of the bundle, and what I don't have, I have no interest in...

But peeps keep talking good about SR3, so while I'm not willing to spend $6, I'd take a free copy : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
49. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 13:42 Alamar

Little late to the talk here but... On the one hand, that's crap... On the other, any time I upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM, I do them all.

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 Alamar

What a boring sales weekend...

Not that I'm one to run out and spend a lot when stuff is marked at big %'s off the MSRP (like every other day of the year), but I looked at the big electronics stores, some computer stores, steam, etc... Really not much I cared for...

Perhaps that just means I have all the stuff I want : )

It doesn't... : )

Also... Love the spoiler warning... Too bad articles are always so badly titled... No one was arrested for telling kids the truth... And this quote makes me crack up - "It was pretty despicable that someone, during this time of the year, would tell kids Santa isn't real - which of course we would argue," Despicable!

As someone that has always been pro honestly, and anti hypocrisy, it's hard to lie to my kid, even if 'it's for their own good'... I also don't think it's bad that kids know that it's their parents that are putting in the effort; not some magical being...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 12:33 Alamar

Anyone that wastes money on a notebook has a screw loose. They are so limited atm with what you can do with them. Give me a desktop any day in the week.

-Alamar

News Comments > No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer
11. Re: No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 Alamar

This stinks! This is total BS! Oh, MP? Never mind...

-Alamar

1814 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo