Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1812 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Free DLC
5. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Free DLC Jun 1, 2013, 10:49 Alamar

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 00:14:
jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:23:
Watching game play vids, this looks insane, with dozens of monsters constantly coming at you. Is it as crazy as it looks?
It's pretty much like that all the time.

But not in a good way... at least early on... You basically just stand there and hold the button and they'll clear out all the wolves/men/whatever...

Which brings me to the thing I think I miss most... No active dodging.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
33. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:03 Alamar

Endo wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:15:
PropheT wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:27:
Blizzard will be making money for a long time to come even if the connoisseurs of gaming here at Blues have long turned up their noses at their products.

I used to defend Blizzard until I stopped to really think of what they'd done in the last ten years. World of Warcraft was very good, but having no real competitors for so long destroyed MMO's to the point where nobody even tries anymore; they just make free to play stuff and try microtransaction cash grabs instead. Starcraft 2 I don't even know what to think of; it's Starcraft 1 with new paint, it's far from bad but it's just so...forgettable. Diablo 3 was the disappointment of the decade.

And that's it. That's all they've done. A rehash, a failure, and nearly a decade of milking their cash cow. Is that enough for them to be a revered giant in gaming when most of the people who made the things we really loved are long gone from the company? The closes comparison I can think of is that Spider-Man 3 sold tons of movie tickets but still killed the franchise. The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

That's almost everything they've done. They also released four WoW expansions... but even there most people will agree, each new one was worse than the last.

I've been pointing these things out since... 2008?

You've been pointing out incorrect statements for 5 years? Do you do parties too? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2013, 13:52 Alamar

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:13:
Apple: Hey guys, yeah... uhhh, so, we like know we tried to sue you for bullshit reasons and everything, and that we've actively been trying to destroy your company, but uhh... can we get some more displays?

I hope Samsung just laughs and hangs up the phone on fucking Apple.

In other news... there are still Blackberry users? What, are they all Amish?

Creston

I know! Can't you just image how stupid a company would be to turn down a huge profit...

Sometimes, thinking an issue through helps : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Scrolls Beta Content Clarified
5. Re: Scrolls Beta Content Clarified May 29, 2013, 11:24 Alamar

I love that $20 is already too much for this, but it's the 'discounted price'...

-Alamar

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 25, 2013, 23:37 Alamar

I suppose this explains the time and quality of their titles if he thinks the PS4 beats all top end PCs...

As for the 8-10 times, I can see that... Current consoles came out like 300 years ago : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Terraria Content Update Plans
7. Re: Terraria Content Update Plans May 24, 2013, 10:38 Alamar

jam777 wrote on May 24, 2013, 10:30:
Is it an MMO? (Truly clueless here, whats this about?)

It's basically a 2D Minecraft. But far more addictive, IMO. Not sure why, but there's just something about it.

It helps that it's more of a game, not just a block busting/building simulation... With the occasional mob.

Terraria has gear/equipment, which leads to progression, and the cycle that is most games... More stats means harder enemies means more gear...

WoW 'haters' like to pull out the skinner box analogy, mostly because they don't understand it, but if they're being that crude, it basically defines most of gaming, and we gamers are good with that : )

As an aside, those people are also likely to complain that techno is repetitive, while singing the chorus to their favorite pop song for the 10th that that hour... : ) Music is repetitive... That's a defining aspect of it. Games are repetitive... Humans, obviously, like doing the same shit over n over : )

/rant

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2013, 10:29 Alamar

I bought a Nexus 7 when they first launched, so I paid about $250 for the 16GB model...

(Far too) shortly thereafter, it fell from about waist height and cracked the screen almost from corner to corner. Half the screen still worked, so I could flip it upside down back and forth to get at all the content, but obviously, that's a pain...

Repair costs I looked in to were about $170, and the device had come down to $200 shortly after that anyways, so repairing was (nearly) pointless.

The reason for the high cost, btw, is because you can't just replace the screen, which is just glass; you need to replace the electronic component that is glued to it.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing May 23, 2013, 10:27 Alamar

InBlack wrote on May 23, 2013, 03:29:
An aRPG where you can ONLY play one character doesnt seem built to have a lot of longevity IMO.

I've only played up to level 5 or so, but it seems you get enough skill points that you can acquire every skill below the final tier, but that's a huge guess (but also based on knowing you don't need every upgrade either). In other words, it may be worse than what you're stating, as build diversity may be minimal... But we'll see over the next few weeks... I'm not sure if I want to go melee or ranged, or combo... with or without emphasis on spells (either melee or ranged)...

-Alamar

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
5. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 10:24 Alamar

Fantaz wrote on May 23, 2013, 10:19:
InBlack wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:51:
Pretty sure that I know who will be purchasing the Total Annihilation IP...or at least bidding on it.
Gas Powered Games?

I would be more than a little surprised if Chris Taylor couldn't convince his new owners to put in a bid, especially at the paltry sum of $250k... I could see a kickstarter start for this ; ) Though, what they'd do with it, I'm not sure.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing May 23, 2013, 00:12 Alamar

This was nowhere on my radar, but the pop up window lead me to the store, which lead me to the vids, which lead me to the cart, which lead me to the download... : )

Edit:
Played it for an hour... Interesting... The skill trees are a bit different, and the pet stuff is like TL but with more control (and leveling), so that's nice... The pet can also pick up loot, with a lot of granularity for controls...

For how it handles though, it has some issues... Lack of mobility skills worries me, and the game occasionally pauses. Seems to have a lot of story/conversation, especially with your pet, and stuff you find/interact with. Will likely give it a few more hours of attention tomorrow.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on May 23, 2013, 01:25.

News Comments > DARK Trailer
2. Re: DARK Trailer May 15, 2013, 21:31 Alamar

Didn't do it for me... Let's hope there will be a demo : )

-Nathan

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2013, 12:05 Alamar

Isn't a Hackintosh a budget PC by nature?

Edit: On another note.. I stopped reading the article just about right away ' A 21" iMac looks like a prop in a science fiction movie, but it's glued together like an iPad, and if you want to add more memory or replace a failed hard disk, that's just too bad.'

Replacing a HD is a hassle, but adding more memory? Easier than with a case... Open a panel on the bottom, shove in a stick, boot, and good to go... Not hard with a case, but having to pull the whole case off, get around some wires in very often too-tight spacing, then pressing so hard you're sure you're about to snap it, or the MB that's bending underneath, I'll take the iMac route (for this one specific thing).

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: The Psycho Pack
15. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 22:35 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on May 14, 2013, 18:15:
DangerDog wrote on May 14, 2013, 17:03:
I haven't finished the first playthrough and I doubt I would have any interest in doing another playthrough.

$10 for a new character seems a little high.

Neverwinter wants $40 for their high end mount... The only thing new it does is moves 60% faster, no other skills.

If you are big time into BL2, $10 isn't so bad. Is this free for those with a season pass?

Justifying something over priced with something else that is over priced is a logical fallacy : )

Though I agree that if you're 'big time into BL2' the price is fine...

I loved the first, but couldn't get into the second much, so no DLC for me, unless the whole pack is like $5; I can wait the year(s).

-Alamar

News Comments > Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow
6. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 14, 2013, 22:32 Alamar

ASeven wrote on May 14, 2013, 20:52:
On the anniversary of D3 the alpha for what could perhaps become the best ARPG of all time comes out.

Oh sweet, sweet irony, how I love thee.

Irregardless of D3, Grim Dawn will not be the best ARPG of all time...

I 'called' it first : )

-Alamar

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month
3. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 22:29 Alamar

This saddens me, but I hope they do well by it...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews
5. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 11:37 Alamar

I think their definition of 'gameplay' differs from mine...

I mean, there were 3 non-consecutive seconds that might be gameplay.

-Alamar

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
3. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 10:14 Alamar

But... where's the kickstarter? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2013, 21:05 Alamar

I always forget what day Cinco de Mayo is on...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 11:37 Alamar

I picked up my 3DSXL from Walmart a few months back, when Castlevania came out, for $30 off, so it doesn't sound so clear cut as Nintendo saying 'no'... And I see the price back up at $200, so it wasn't a price drop (across the board).

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Might & Magic Heroes VI: Shades of Darkness
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Might & Magic Heroes VI: Shades of Darkness May 2, 2013, 10:34 Alamar

I still hate the new name (change)... If for no other reason than it makes me wonder if a new M&M game is coming, with each tricky announcement.

-Alamar

1812 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo