Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1753 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
20. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 12:05 Alamar

ItBurn wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:41:
It's a failure of design if when you reach the cap you have "all skills" and are just like every other character. You plan in advance a system that works. A good excuse may be lack of time/funding, but again, planning.

I agree, but I see 'all skills' and 'just like every other character' as different things...

But let me elaborate... If you can unlock all skills by/at max level, but can't use them all in your build, you're not just like every other character... Except... The Internet... Popular builds are posted, and a good percentage of players use them, so you could argue that unlocking skills (instead of following a skill path and having all skills out of that path locked, always) means that everyone ends up the same, so 'all skills' and 'just like...' are the same...

Except that even if skills are locked in when you choose them, people research builds earlier and all end up the same anyways, so it's kind of moot : )

I'm personally (hobby dev) using a design where you can unlock stuff as you level, and then choose your focus (let's say, offense vs defense vs movement), and that lets you 'slot' a given number of skills from each focus... Letting you swap your focus (at your base) in between 'adventures' let's you not be gimped (as badly)... But in the end, some people just want to be locked in, and want to have to make a new character. Others want to be locked in, but know beforehand (again making locking moot)... And hopefully many just want to build a new character based on a new item/skill found (For example, D2's low-mid level unique items).

Anyhow, I'm ranting, so I'm done ; )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2013, 10:10 Alamar

We had about a foot of snow here last night... Don't think I'll be making the trek into work this morning ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
5. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:08 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:02:
Shineyguy wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 09:51:
Well then fuck the console players. I'm not limited by this shit with my 16GB of memory. Hell, you wouldn't be limited at 4GB.

Great you've got 16GB. Fantastic.
You're in the minority - less than 8% of users. Over 60%, according to Steam Stats, are at 4GB or less. Can you say with 100% confidence that the issue Randy is discussing wouldn't crash their games?

Even with your 16GB, it sounds like "blow memory" isn't "take a whole lot of it" but "eat it up like a memory leak," meaning that you 16GB would last longer, perhaps only split seconds longer, before also getting destroyed.

Sounds like a bug, which would be silly : )

As for the level 50 cap, people complained a lot about how you'd end up with 'all the skills' in the first one, so having a lower, hard, cap, makes sense... Your 'build' requires more choice, even if you're not locked in. Ironic I don't see that complain with BL/BL2, as it's a #1 gripe with another action RPG recently released ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
15. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 18:14 Alamar

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:03:
peteham wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:26:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:19:
Apparently it's now turned into Far Cry Raider with the first three hours being Uncharted.

Which might actually make it a pretty decent game.
Really? Sure sounds a hell of a lot better than the linear QTE-fest it appeared to be the last time I looked at it.

Is it also too much to hope for that it's heavier on the puzzles than the combat? That's one of the things that has never made me able to fully appreciate Uncharted. Just ludicrous amounts of badguys everywhere.

Legend and Underworld still had plenty of puzzles being that it was Crystal Dynamics. Terribly Difficult puzzles? Not really, but still puzzles. CD Loves them some puzzles, Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain were always filled with them... Soul Reaver was so good, I miss my Dreamcast now.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18636/

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
Tomb Raider was responsible for every computer enthusiast to buy ourselves a Voodoo 3DFX addon card, back in the day.

Will buy this new release, love playing them, even if they're just shelved after.

Forsaken, after playing on a friends PC, was what did it for me, though I got a... crap... rush, that's it... The one that also had 2D, so didn't need 2 cards.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 5, 2013, 21:18 Alamar

I enjoyed the first two... Which I picked up on steam sales at some point... But I'm not sure I want a one day purchase (I assume it's $60)...

Any thoughts? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
51. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:45 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 19:37:
fightinfilipino wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:50:

as for your "vaginas" comment, erm, what?

Seriously, that comments (hard phrased, but non-theless valid point) should be obvious to anyone alive in the western world today..... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sissification

He was making a play on the more extreme feminism which employs much the same "Oh my god, this is so offensive" nonsense as this racism "issue" raised here. Ie, they deliberately are offended about something majority does and find non-offensive to push their radical minority agenda under the guise of "political correctness" if you ask me, one of the greatest most abused misused bullshit phrases of this century....

Point is, he was making a witty statement ^^

And yes, there are cases of racism and sexism that need curbing. But not by being offended about things that are clearly neither.

I thought he was just bringing sexism into a racism thread ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 13:16 Alamar

heh... If people think that's racist, I wonder what would be going on if Tiny Tina was 'black'...

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
12. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:15 Alamar

MisterBenn wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:50:
Hark659 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:51:
Too busy playing Path of Exile.

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

I've played a bunch more, and there are a few interesting bits to it, but the combat is so... clunky, it's very off-putting...

But I'm still trying to 'give it a chance', and I got my Shadow to 21 or so, and now that I have cleave (Which is Strength, as opposed to my Shadow that is the other two), I'm enjoying using that.

I do like DoTs though, so Viper Strike (melee DoT, stacked up to 4 times) and the fire trap (ranged, AOE DoT) are what I mainly have been using, but again, clunky... Especially switching targets...

I'm not sure if it's just an animation thing that so many people have complained about with some games (that I never had an issue with), or it's just timing on attacks/switching targets, etc... I've heard that more attack speed helps, but only so much as to make the awkward parts a bit shorter.

-Alamar

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact Announced
3. Re: Pandora: First Contact Announced Jan 31, 2013, 22:45 Alamar

ViRGE wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 20:07:
What the heck is with naming every planet Pandora lately? They couldn't think of something else even a little more unique?

Maybe they're just thinking outside the box : )

-Alamar

News Comments > TERA Subscription-Free Next Week
9. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 16:46 Alamar

CutterZane wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 11:15:
It's definitely a good-looking game for a MMO but in terms of gameplay (combat aside), it's horribly antiquated - if you can grind through the endless "kill 'x' monsters" and "collect 'y' items" quests, you have more patience and time to burn than I do. It just seems odd for a game that only made its mark in recent years that it recycles MMO conventions that got stale about a decade ago instead of trying something a little more innovative.

The problem with this kind of griping (that's apparently been going on for a decade), is that I don't know if it's true or not...

Mainly because you have many many levels of tolerance (or if you prefer, interest) to questing, and I can't tell if this game just has lots of typical quests, or that it's really grindy...

For example, I see the same complaints about every new MMO, including WoW expansions, and I disagree, so I don't know if the game is grindy or just has lots of quests : )

-Alamar

News Comments > New Wildman Video; Tiers
12. Re: New Wildman Video; Tiers Jan 28, 2013, 13:59 Alamar

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I read that as 'New Wildman Video; Tears'...

I do still wish them the best though : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta
21. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 12:00 Alamar

I installed this last night... And that ends the story heh...

I hope to get around to it...

I played an open beta weekend or something around a year ago, then got accepted, but never played, the beta... It surely didn't blow me away, perhaps in part, because of all the over-hyped comments from here (and likely in the thread I'm about to read : ).

I also don't like all the 'spin' about the massive passive (heh) tree, as it's not unlike news entertainment making a story bigger than it is... In other words, the tree isn't as big as it seems... It's just that they put every class' section in one tree. Oh, but you can go off in any direction for any class... BS : )

Anyhow... If I have time tonight, I'll give it another try... I imagine it's gotten better : )

-Alamar

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 24, 2013, 11:54 Alamar

He's my hero for not saying 110% : )

-Alamar

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
18. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 11:47 Alamar

I'm not clear how this whole bankruptcy thing works...

First off, if they could have gotten $26 million for Relic, couldn't they have just done that earlier and kept going?

Secondly, are they still bankrupt after getting $72 million?

I realize I'm looking at these numbers as insane amounts of money, and they may not be (in this scenario), but still... Quality games are made for 10% of some of those numbers.

-Alamar

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups
52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 20:22 Alamar

Watching a trailer like that... Just makes me think... 'Finish the movie, and screw the game...' : )

I am currently MMO'd out... I love the genre, but I just don't feel like playing any of them atm... I should try out a few of the newly-free ones, but meh...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 22, 2013, 15:17 Alamar

New side scrolling Castlevania? Sold!

Sadly, it means I'll need to buy a 3DS too... Must... research...

I also just bought a Wii-U a few days ago (My four year old loves Super Mario, and we play together; so very awesome they added coop to SMB games).

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:25 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:07:
DDI wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:00:

I've actually no idea how good Windows 8 is, since the tile system is so unpopular no one even gets as far as talking about anything else. That's a pretty big fail right there.

Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

Everyone just used shortcuts on the desktop though didn't they? I know I did, and still do.

Now that I launch 95% of my games through Steam, it's more moot, but I put shortcuts to everything else I want, on my Desktop, then make my bar double height, and put the desktop on the bottom half... Even with 4k resolution, having to find shit on the desktop (under a pile of windows) would be a pain... And in the end, it's not all that different from using the quick launch bar, but I like it this way : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 22:57 Alamar

FF died for me with their MMO launch...

I should have done more research (and/or waited)... But I went out near/on launch, played for an hour (maybe it was two), saw the amount of grind that quickly, and threw it out (can't refund MMO's)... Their abso-freaking-lutely stupid one character slot across all servers, with transfers being a huge pain in the ass, didn't help their case...

-Alamar

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness Preorder Bonuses
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness Preorder Bonuses Jan 18, 2013, 22:39 Alamar

The first time this title popped up on Steams ad window, I did a double take, only to, sadly, notice too late the 'Heroes' part...

And yes, I'm still bitter they renamed it (Heroes of M&M to M&M Heroes), setting me up for something like this...

Anyhow... I would probably hate a new M&M style game, even though I somewhat enjoyed Grimrock...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
11. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:35 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:28:
*facepalm*

Guys, seriously... This DOES NOT affect the Kickstarter in ANY WAY. This is the REASON for the Kickstarter. They put all they had, resources-wise, at the tail end of their employment with Microsoft, into starting development of this game. Now they have nothing left, except an early prototype and a crowd-funding pitch. If the KS succeeds, they will HIRE BACK as many people as they can afford to make this game. If not, then they're finished.

In other words, you can't let this news deter you from backing the project, if you would otherwise be interested in it. This makes them no different than any other indie start-up company, which would not be able to make the game if they don't meet the funding goal. Unlike, say, the American McGee people who were asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars to polish an existing title that they were going to release anyway.

This is basically how I see it, and if anything, urges me moreso to kick in... As it's more in line with what I think KS should be about; Money that's required to make it...

Also explains why they're asking for 'so much'... As opposed to so many recent KS projects where you just know the dev wants some 'free' funding...

Anyhow... Good luck to them ; ) I like Chris' attitude in a bunch of his vids (and the two Wildman ones), and he's someone I would have liked to work for had things worked out differently.

-Alamar

1753 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo