Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1767 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 28, 2013, 22:17 Alamar

While not on sale, I picked up Rogue Legacy (from the dev, same price, but DRM free, and a steam key), and I think a lot of BluesNewsians would like it.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Two More Atari Properties Sold
11. Re: Two More Atari Properties Sold Jun 25, 2013, 11:27 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:43:
Man I loved SILVER.. am I the only one that has played that? Great story, cool combat.. cool game (that nobody ever heard about)

If we're talking the Zelda'ish style game from many many years ago, I played and liked it... Would be interesting to see a sequel.

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 11:44 Alamar

But Quake didn't come out till 96...

-Alamar

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC & Preorder Bonus Plans
12. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC & Preorder Bonus Plans Jun 19, 2013, 14:33 Alamar

A new game coming with 'free' DLC is like how MMO's come with a 'free' month...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Jun 14, 2013, 10:56 Alamar

I finally picked up the Witcher games (both are on sale), as there have been many many recommendations on here over the years. Only put a few hours into the first so far, but it feels unpolished/clunky, but we'll see how things go.

-Alamar

News Comments > New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced
21. Re: New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced Jun 12, 2013, 20:43 Alamar

Flatline wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:34:
KS wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:14:
KS wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:11:
I wanna be a swarm of little StinkBois, or whatevet the hell they are called.

Note: I don't want to be a character who controls the swarm. I want to be the swarm itself.

Like the dog pack consciousness in A Fire Upon The Deep.

DO SOMETHING UNIQUE DOG DAMMIT! Stop pooping out reskins.

Ya know what, forget it. Pearls before swine. Some subgenius would implement it as a single character with an "animation" of little creatures flipping around, rather than as a literal swarm of independent, swarm-behavior entities.

Too much for the common yokel programmer to implement. And the powers would be single-character instead of well thought-out swarm-based things based on actual independent creatures.

Err... the bandwidth and amount of processing power to implement 500 individual AIs and animate them all for the sake of *one* player is kind of absurd. Imagine a thousand players on a server, each with a 500 snotling horde. That's 500,000 gamestates you have to keep track of, store, and sync, and that's just for a handful of players.

Don't defend the yokels!

Logic and thought have no place here.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
26. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 12, 2013, 13:23 Alamar

So here's a thought...

As most of us know, Blue's News curmudgeon's don't meet the same demographic as just about any genre of games these days...

Plus, there has been a LOT of bitching on here about how much of a flop D3 was. There has been a lot of excusing D3 sales numbers because of the annual WoW thingy, and people's expectations based on D2.

But what if the expansion sells a crap-ton? Can we really still use the same excuse that people are buying it 'blind' based on D2?

-Alamar

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 17:18 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 16:07:
Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 15:01:
We definitely know there are Microsoft shills here too, not very surprising. Basically anyone who likes Windows 8 and Xbox One is pretty much guaranteed to work for Microsoft.
Yeah...well xbox one I couldn't care less about. Windows 8? It's not bad, and I do like it. Especially the autorestore feature for a nuked install. Start8 fixes the menu problem. Oh and if you think I'm a paid shill, I've had an account on here since before said companies thought of shills. Note the UID, there aren't many regular posters in the sub 3500 category these days, then again...with your ID in the 56k range...you could be a shill. Just a very cleaver one.

I was pretty sure he was just being silly/sarcastic... 'Everyone that likes XX product works for the company' is pretty extreme...

As for the UID... I hope you were too, because otherwise, that's pretty stupid : )

-Alamar

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 17:13 Alamar

I am shocked...

I read some of the article, and looked at the url... It was not the onion; hence the shock...

-Alamar

News Comments > Path of Exile Patched
7. Re: Path of Exile Patched Jun 6, 2013, 12:30 Alamar

Quinn wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:49:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 10:17:
I think the skill tree is a mess. Yes, it can be comprehended with a little effort but at first glance it is chaos. Couple that with little to no in-game programmatic help and it is quite a turn off.

I understand where you're coming from but I think you're letting yourself be intimidated by the sheer grandeur of it.

Once I decided I wanted to be a dual-wielding warrior, it took me less than 2 minutes to find out which path I had to take. At that point I could ignore the rest.

I think you're strengthening his point... By saying that you can ignore most of it, you're confirming that it's chaos (but you have a strategy). The problem is that you have experience with the game, the stats, etc... That's not obvious to the brand new players, who need the most (preferably in-game) help.

-Alamar

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
69. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:21 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 09:10:
Have you played every single game, watched every single movie and TV series, ate every single piece of food on every restaurant, read every single book and comics you ever criticized?

Yes... Why would someone waste time trash talking something they don't know about?

However, it's a moot point, because, even having played a game (for a few hours), or read a comic, doesn't give you enough information to judge it's entirety. In short, people are lazy and disregarding, or simply, just like to judge/label.

Most people (I have ever known) will not tell you that the music they don't like, they don't like... They will tell you that it's crap : ) This is true of other forms of media, including games, movies, sports, etc...

-Alamar

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
67. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:05 Alamar

I played the open beta last month, as Iron Man, and played a few hours last night, as Dare Devil...

I don't know if they gimped all the mobs in the first few areas, or just that DD (or melee in general) is so much more powerful, but stuff was dying sooooo easily this time around. Plus, being melee, I didn't spend time dodging stuff.

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 5, 2013, 11:02 Alamar

Jivaro wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 04:27:
Both the Humble Indie Bundle 8 and the Atomic Indie Bundle are great deals. I threw 10 bucks at both of them. Finally gonna get to try the Tropico games.

How did you throw $10 at the Atomic Indie Bundle? I thought Bundle Stars bundles were all fixed prices.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition Jun 5, 2013, 11:00 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 02:12:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 20:36:
Way to release a new SKU and charge full price at $60... good job Bethesda!

Why not? Half this board constantly posts "I'll wait until the GotY Edition."

So, give'm the GotY, charge the full price, still a discount over having purchased all the DLC.

Our definitions of 'discount' differ... I would argue that the full game is finally available for the 'normal' price... Therefore, no discount : )

Personally, I've been enjoying Dark Souls (Picked it up at the $7.50 sale) a ton more than I ever did with Skyrim, but I'm not sure it's fair to compare... Skyrim is more about 'sandboxish' stories, and DS kind of ignores the idea of having a story : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
11. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 11:34 Alamar

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:36:
InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:23:
Please dont lynch me, but Im thinking about getting a windows8 smartphone. They are dirt cheap, and look pretty & functional. (The OS makes sense on a mobile phone, who would have thought...) Should I rather go Android? This is my first smartphone and I dont really look forward to it but my old phone is dying as we speak.

The only thing about android I don't like is the lack of a clear upgrade path for the OS. My (limited) experience with them is that you're totally at the mercy of your carrier as to if you get an upgrade for your particular model. I had one through sprint a few years ago, and while they eventually coughed up one upgrade (after a number of months of delay, and I think even one point of pushing it out and then recalling it), when it came time for a second, they were silent, and basically wanted you to buy a new phone.

Now that Google makes their own (kind of) Nexus devices, that's an option if you really want OS upgrades ASAP... Sadly, there are only three so far... The cell, the 7" Tab, and 10" Tab... I have the two latter ones, thought he 7" screen cracked (hence getting the 10")... Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, which I'm very happy with (plus, my unlimited call/text/data carrier for $30 is nice). This is my first 'smart phone', but obviously I've had a lot of previous touch non-cell devices.

-Alamar

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Free DLC
5. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Free DLC Jun 1, 2013, 10:49 Alamar

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 00:14:
jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:23:
Watching game play vids, this looks insane, with dozens of monsters constantly coming at you. Is it as crazy as it looks?
It's pretty much like that all the time.

But not in a good way... at least early on... You basically just stand there and hold the button and they'll clear out all the wolves/men/whatever...

Which brings me to the thing I think I miss most... No active dodging.

-Alamar

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
33. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:03 Alamar

Endo wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:15:
PropheT wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:27:
Blizzard will be making money for a long time to come even if the connoisseurs of gaming here at Blues have long turned up their noses at their products.

I used to defend Blizzard until I stopped to really think of what they'd done in the last ten years. World of Warcraft was very good, but having no real competitors for so long destroyed MMO's to the point where nobody even tries anymore; they just make free to play stuff and try microtransaction cash grabs instead. Starcraft 2 I don't even know what to think of; it's Starcraft 1 with new paint, it's far from bad but it's just so...forgettable. Diablo 3 was the disappointment of the decade.

And that's it. That's all they've done. A rehash, a failure, and nearly a decade of milking their cash cow. Is that enough for them to be a revered giant in gaming when most of the people who made the things we really loved are long gone from the company? The closes comparison I can think of is that Spider-Man 3 sold tons of movie tickets but still killed the franchise. The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

That's almost everything they've done. They also released four WoW expansions... but even there most people will agree, each new one was worse than the last.

I've been pointing these things out since... 2008?

You've been pointing out incorrect statements for 5 years? Do you do parties too? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2013, 13:52 Alamar

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:13:
Apple: Hey guys, yeah... uhhh, so, we like know we tried to sue you for bullshit reasons and everything, and that we've actively been trying to destroy your company, but uhh... can we get some more displays?

I hope Samsung just laughs and hangs up the phone on fucking Apple.

In other news... there are still Blackberry users? What, are they all Amish?

Creston

I know! Can't you just image how stupid a company would be to turn down a huge profit...

Sometimes, thinking an issue through helps : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Scrolls Beta Content Clarified
5. Re: Scrolls Beta Content Clarified May 29, 2013, 11:24 Alamar

I love that $20 is already too much for this, but it's the 'discounted price'...

-Alamar

10. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 25, 2013, 23:37 Alamar

I suppose this explains the time and quality of their titles if he thinks the PS4 beats all top end PCs...

As for the 8-10 times, I can see that... Current consoles came out like 300 years ago : )

-Alamar

1767 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo