Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1812 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
26. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 8, 2013, 21:20 Alamar

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 19:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 17:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 16:51:
Are they just out of original ideas?

I thought Pandaria WAS an original idea. No one liked it.

Anything using existing lore and people bitch that it's rehashed and lame. Anything new and people bitch that it has nothing to do with Warcraft.

This is the nature of the internet... And I don't mean that cynically...

Any group that is large enough, including the Blues News Curmudgeons I have occasionally griped about, have enough people, that at any given time, one part is complaining about a feature existing, while others are complaining about a feature missing, while others love each of those, any combination thereof... So at some future time, there will always be a factual ability to complain about previous complainers (and whichever opinion any given subset of that group had issue with).

In short, we all need to realize that it's all moot, because most of the time, it's a different group of people, but we group all conflicting views together... Plus, people are allowed to change their minds : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
23. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 8, 2013, 19:22 Alamar

I wonder if, for the entire expansion, your character looks like an Orc or Drainy (sic), because the other races wouldn't make sense... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 14:03 Alamar

Blue wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 11:35:
DrSquick wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:31:
Blue, that got me thinking - do you prepare Saturday's and Sunday's posts ahead of time? Or have you worked seven days a week for the last 15 years?

The latter.

I was going to ask a similar question...

I guess your weekends are more like half-time-off, as there is generally less news to report, but you're still putting in (some of) the time...

For those of us that are always on the PC, and weekends don't change that kind of routine much either, we appreciate it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
23. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:46 Alamar

Due to some comments here, I'm gonna jump on it...

I had been looking forward to this for too long (It's one of about 4 things I 'like' on FB : )...

As for actual release schedule, end of year is no chance, and early 2014 is unlikely (based on my minimal knowledge) : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Nov 6, 2013, 09:07 Alamar

DarkCntry wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 04:34:
Krovven wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 00:52:
New system sucks. Copy and pasting the serials to friends was so much simpler.

I agree, but I also see the reason behind this...it's to keep people from buying these games and reselling them for full-price, making a massive profit at the sake of the publishers offering the games and HB itself.

Stupid people ruin it for the good people.

Crafty people...

So how does the publisher or HB lose on this? They're still getting a sale they wouldn't otherwise get... People that don't know about the sale, or HB in general, pay a price they agree on, likely still quite a bit cheaper than they would get it otherwise...

Where's the harm?

Interestingly, I wouldn't do it, because it feels wrong, but I ask myself the same questions, and I don't see the negative.

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 1, 2013, 19:34 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 16:22:
Alamar wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 12:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:27:
Batman: Arkham Origins on ActionTrip and Techgage.

Update in the last 12 or so hours - FYI. Fixes Burnley towers and other issues.

Hmmm... Must have been an update after the update... I tried after one yesterday (or Wed?) and I still had an issue.

Edit: And it was... Just unlocked the tower... I still don't get the first room... You break through the window to get in the room, and you can't get out the window (unless there was some odd angle I didn't see that let you hook to the next building)... And hacking that console puts bars on the window... But has no actual point/effect...

-Alamar

If you have the grapple line gun, then you can get out.
But if you hack the machine, the bars come down (thus sticking you in there before the update).
When I went into the room today, the machine was already hacked (turned off) the grate was off, and the bars did not appear (since machine was off).

So I assume they just simplified the whole tower.

That may have been due to an earlier save for you... Any time I had gone on pre-patch, I had restarted at the previous save/checkpoint...

Today, I went through the window, up through the vent to the top, hacked that one, which opened the zone, then went back down and hacked the one that locked the window.

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 1, 2013, 12:01 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:27:
Batman: Arkham Origins on ActionTrip and Techgage.

Update in the last 12 or so hours - FYI. Fixes Burnley towers and other issues.

Hmmm... Must have been an update after the update... I tried after one yesterday (or Wed?) and I still had an issue.

Edit: And it was... Just unlocked the tower... I still don't get the first room... You break through the window to get in the room, and you can't get out the window (unless there was some odd angle I didn't see that let you hook to the next building)... And hacking that console puts bars on the window... But has no actual point/effect...

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2013, 12:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2013, 11:48 Alamar

I loathe parents that bitch about 'age' of 'kids begging for candy'...

Why, you may wonder? My older brother was able to go out for years after I, without getting bitched at, like I did, because I was tall for my quite-young-age...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2013, 11:38 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:48:
It is a sign of more or less power, the one with more can do more, simple. I'm looking at getting my first Tablet this season, power will matter. When I shop for pc parts, power matters. It is as simple as that, it doesn't mean other features can't win out, but it matters into the equation. If it doesn't you're just fooling yourself.

If this generation of consoles is telling any pc gamer anything showing us screenshots, it's not. We've been able to compare the resolutions for years and we know a screenshot doesn't always portray the overall story when the game is in motion.We also know that when you are engrossed playing gfx aren't as important as we make them out to be. BUT I STILL RATHER ALWAYS HAVE MORE POWER THAN LESS. Otherwise.... why even consider buying a new system. The reason you do is because of more power, so when comparing the new systems, power should matter into the equation.

Power, is not performance...

If the game is running at 720 scaled to 1080, it will run more responsive on the same hardware... It's not the same hardware, which is why it's running at 720 in the first place, but if it runs better because of that, on worse hardware, the end result is the same : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer
4. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer Oct 31, 2013, 23:53 Alamar

I really should finish the first... I should have finished it while waiting for the 3DS version, which was later in the story, and spoiled some bits...

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 19:54 Alamar

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:28:
PS4 will not play MP3s, will not support connecting external storage such as flash drives, and will not stream media from other devices like your PC.

Hate to do it, but I think I might be switching to Xbone. I don't like having a lot of devices hooked to my TV and a lot of remotes floating around, so I need one box that can do it all.

Unfortunately that's the Xbone. Fuck.

That is disappointing... 90% of the time my PS3 is in use, is to stream video's from a computer.

I may have to just move a computer into the TV room...

-Alamar

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3
3. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 19:48 Alamar

I really should play through the first two...

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2013, 12:50 Alamar

'identical', but different...

When I was a kid, I used to say two things were 'exactly the same, but different'...

I've heard other kids recently say similar things, and I think it's cute... When a kid does it...

-Alamar

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
32. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 16:08 Alamar

Minuit wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:18:
The full quote was a bit more interesting, but it was cut from the interview. I expect it went a bit like this, and involved Mark Rubin inexplicably doing a spot-on impression of Hugo Weaving:

"I'd like to share a revelation that Iíve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify our customers, and I realised that CoD players are not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their game library; but CoD players do not. Instead they play the same game over, and over again, until there is nothing left to play. The only way for them to survive is to spread to a sequel with the same engine and 90% recycled content. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. CoD players are a disease, a cancer on this planet, they are a plague, and we... are the cure."

One of the few times I would support a voting system on Blues : )

-Alamar

News Comments > ROAM vs How to Survive
14. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 14:11 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:51:
Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:40:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:59:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

How is it absurd that eh may have stolen the idea from "Monster Island"...

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

Because he's the accuser. This isn't a complex situation, guys.

Which is why Creston made the joke he did...

I'm not sure how you're failing to understand this line of thought.

-Alamar

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
18. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 13:49 Alamar

ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:29:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:26:
psulli wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:35:
Because believe it or not "gamer" has hugely negative connotations for everyone else that sees gaming as a waste of time.

That use to be a thing... if it still is then were talking about old people set in their ways. If Activision is ashamed of making games, then well I don't know anymore.

Ok there could be a small sliver of people that only play COD everyday and nothing else. They still fall into gamer... if you're doing it everyday I got to call it what it is, embarrassing to that person or not.

I still felt calling a WoW player who plays 8 hours a day hardcode and they don't play anything else. COD isn't a casual game, it falls under hardcore, even though it's mainstream. It's not farmville, it's hardcore killing and swearing and all the stuff that comes with that type of game.

All imo.

Nah, being a gamer is still seen as an horrible thing. Try talking to a girl and telling her you're a gamer and see her interest instantly disapear :p

Or... Bring it up during an interview...

I do : )

'How did you start as a developer?'

'Well, Bob, may I call you Bob?'

'It's Robert'

'Well, Bob, My father bought us, and by us, I mean, me, because my brother wasn't allowed to touch my precious, an Atari 2600, when I was a munchkin. Ever since that point, I have been obsessed with flashy (not always high quality) graphics, collecting stuff, and looking at the smallest of details in the darkest of red-herring-smelling corners. Due to that, I yearned to know how it all worked, and because of my desire for knowledge, I consumed book after book, gaining experience, and increasing my general level of understanding.'

'You won't find a more detail oriented, and creative quest, er, problem solver, this side of Hyrule.'

I could go on, but I think you get the idea... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > ROAM vs How to Survive
11. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 13:40 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:59:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

How is it absurd that eh may have stolen the idea from "Monster Island"...

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 28, 2013, 09:17 Alamar

Ledge wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 07:01:
after purchasing the metro franchise pak for like 34 bucks a few days ago, it seems its been reduced even further to $21.somethin. bad timing. great game though.

Keep this in mind... Any time there is a publisher wide promotion, each individual (major) game/franchise will go on a daily sale during the week long sale...

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 18:09 Alamar

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:33:
It's good, I have played it for about an hour or so last night but I ran into bugs. Gameplay wise, it's the same as the previous two, and graphically it's about the same also. But it seems a bit less polished IMHO. I played both AA and AC without running into a single issue. This one I ran into an issue about an hour in. One where I got into a room and there was no way out (had to restart from checkpoint). Technically, there is a way out, but the game just won't let you get into the vent. And another where 2 thugs on a roof were buried in the snow. One up to his shoulders and one up to his forehead. You can't hit them either, but I did get to hit the one buried up to his shoulders with a manually aimed batarang.

Burnley Comms Tower... Just got hit by this too... How does something this obvious pass QA?

I'm also finding the controls awkward... But I'm hoping I can adjust.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 09:56 Alamar

Played about 90m last night, and am enjoying it so far... Can't compare to the previous two though.

Seems to be 'open world', or at least 'open city', so like many other games; you have a city map, and stuff happening. Purposefully vague to avoid spoilage, and not sure how much of this is from the previous game, or others in the genre.

-Alamar

1812 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo