Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1831 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
10. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 22, 2014, 19:03 Alamar

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:35:
Well the price on Unity just skyrocketed not that it makes much of a difference, no serious developer would ever use it.

What?

I have to assume you mean subscription, which is confusingly high... But the $1500 price has been the same for years... And it's still free for anyone until they make $100k on it... It also now includes previously pay-only options.

Though it is nice that Unreal is finally a realistic option for indie's, so we'll see where that takes us...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 21:48 Alamar

Prez wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 21:38:
Shadows of Mordor and Evil Within are two polarizing games. Mac's "Worth A Buy" review absolutely destroys The Evil Within and says he can't think of one redeeming quality of it. Of course he is VERY particular about what he likes and doesn't like...

For me, that's the mark of a bad, or irrelevant reviewer... Also why, on the few occasions I check out metacritic, I ignore all 10's and 0's... There are very few games (like, count on one hand), that fit into either score.

Actually, for me, if a game is highly rated (like almost everything on steam's 0/1 rating scale), I'm more interested in what the negative reviews say.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
24. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 17:45 Alamar

bobbyweenus wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 17:34:
The media coverage of gamergate, and the narrative being pushed against gaming and gamers in general proves a lot of points I personally have believed for a long time.

<snip>

That... Was beautiful... Almost poetic...

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 15:16 Alamar

This is the first news piece on GamerGate I've looked at... I don't much care for scandals, and I don't agree with extremists on either side...

But this Anita chick, is kind of a bitch... I get that she's feeling defensive, but so many of the answers in this particular article are sexist and insulting... Knowing absolutely nothing about her, I have to assume that's the norm, so I can see why people are having an issue with her (not her gender).

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 15:07 Alamar

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 14:45:
Glad to see Mordor hanging in there. Looking forward to more, hopefully a sequel.

Indeed... Could be a few years though...

Sad to see a Season Pass up there though... It's bad enough that people pre-order before trying... But pre-ordering a game for $90... Not where I want gaming to be going...

Though, BL is the third game, so it's a bit more reasonable/excusable. I guess I'm part of the problem, as I did it for Dark Souls II.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2014, 21:10 Alamar

I love honest trailers, and that one was great too ; )  

News Comments > Xsyon Adds Free Tribe Building
2. Re: Xsyon Adds Free Tribe Building Oct 17, 2014, 14:52 Alamar

This may seem petty, but with a name like Xsyon, I just can't...  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 13, 2014, 21:09 Alamar

I would like to pick up Planet Explorers... But I don't want to jump on it until it's out of EA... I have a few EA's already, and some have been great, and I want more, but even at that kind of 'best case scenario', it just leaves me waiting... If I'm gonna wait, I may as well wait until the post-release sale ; )

I have a friend that got it though, and he said he liked it... I guess I'll leave it on my list for another few months.

News Comments > Free Sigils of Elohim Released
1. Re: Free Sigils of Elohim Released Oct 13, 2014, 21:05 Alamar

What the crap... I came to this (the trailer/game) hoping to see something... more...

That is surprisingly basic, and minus the prettyfication, is like a week project, at most... Isn't this a big company?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 12, 2014, 17:00 Alamar

'SSDs could get cheaper'... To make, not to sell...  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 12, 2014, 16:52 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 16:06:
I assume it's on the local drive but I would be damn happy if it goes to one of them there clouds! I'll just reinstall it over night and hope for the best.

The http://store.steampowered.com/app/214490/ page states Steam Cloud support, so hopefully your saves were backed up without issue.

Also saw Prez in SoM last night, but it just kept showing notifications he was playing it, so it might have been crashing, or some other oddity...

I actually went through and did all (but one of) the achievements for SoM... A few were a pain, and I had to retry them, and having known about them earlier, I could have done them during some previous quests/goals/etc... And the very first one, I had to remove my saves, start fresh, and restore them... Not sure how it missed out the first time, but at least the workaround worked. I very rarely go after any but the most basic achievements, so obviously, I enjoyed the game a good deal...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 20:26 Alamar

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 15:22:
Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 12:53:

Yeah, never threaten to quit if you aren't willing to back it. Likewise, never accept a counter-offer if you give 2 weeks notice.

Also, I realize there was some significant entitlement in my "jump jobs" comment. I'm a single dude. I've lived in nearly every part of this country because, as a single dude, jumping jobs is pretty easy. I'm willing to move from the northeast to the south to the midwest to the pacific northwest. No skin off my back - my only pickiness is that I can't be in a city that sucks more than the one I'm leaving (a list that keeps shrinking.) If someone has a family or even just a spouse, that's not quite as feasible.

I agree, I have never done heavy negotiating without having something in my back pocket that I was content falling back on. It allows me to go into these types of discussions with unwavering confidence.

As far as performance is concerned, where I work this is a farcical game. The current director of engineering has told everyone that he expects us to produce 1,000 lines of code a week and actively tracks our number of github commits. As a result, he's created a metric that everyone now games. People do commits that just move code around for no real purpose other than to look busy.

The worst part is, if I go in and clean something up, my code deletions are not in his metric, so I actually end up hurting myself. This escalated to HR after I was criticized on my yearly performance review for not contributing enough lines of code despite the fact I'm effectively a manager and pair program with many of the people I train.

I can't imagine the environment MS' stack ranking created, it must have been insane for the people involved. The CEO's comments are born out of the same arrogance that forms when one is separated from the people that work on the front lines for an extended peroid of time. Hillary Clinton did the same thing when she forgot to tip a waitress a few years ago, it never occurred to her since her servants are always handling these things.

Holy crap... I had no idea any companies still counted lines of code... That shit is old school, because it was proven time and time again (just like you did) that it's shit...

Code quality should be of utmost concern... Put in some ideas about that... Code reviews, automated build/test systems, etc...

Not sure I've written 1000 lines of code this year... heh

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
45. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 11:01 Alamar

Jamil20 wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 10:39:
Reviewers were also told that they must “not mention LOTR or Hobbit movies, characters or books”

What's up with that? Why is this game distancing itself from the source material?

As seen in these threads, people can't wrap their mind around Mordor being green, and other 'disconnection's from the movies. Shadow of Mordor takes place before the LOTR movies, but I couldn't say how much before. If you assume these people know more than the average fan, the average fan would get even more confused.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2014, 10:45 Alamar

Things can always be worse, or better...

But only being sore on one side is dreamy heh... I hurt my neck/back last week, and there was no position I could lie down in, that wasn't painful... And I also need to change position often during the night, so those nights were pretty crappy... I feel great now though ; )

That's the great part about being sick/injured/etc... The day when it stops, you can take a full breath, and just... Enjoy the lack of pain/suffering ; )

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 21:04 Alamar

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 14:23:
I too wonder how the difficulty works, as you have some folks saying it's a breeze, while others say it's quite the challenge.

I do like that it encourages stealth, and I find that if I want to survive, I have to creatively thin the pack a bit before diving into the fray.

If you ignore the fact that every game has people both complaining about how easy it is, and other people complaining about how hard, the major point here is the combat is very similar to Batman... So people that got really good at those games (not myself) will find this a breeze... Now that I've played through, and know my abilities, I could start over, and likely do the entire game without dying, and it would be easy (especially with a few choice runes).

And for those that are having a harder time and did not advance the story much, do the story stuff. Depending on where you're at, some 'core' abilities get unlocked and makes life much more manageable.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 11:36 Alamar

I really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor... Steam put me at 22h when I beat the campaign story, but I didn't rush, or collect 100%.

The only real issue I have with the game is when you're in a 'downed' state, you have to hit a button quickly... I'm using a controller, and I don't have the buttons memorized, so I often hit the wrong one : )

I wouldn't mind going through it again, on a higher difficulty, but that doesn't exist... If it did, all the captains would be Battle Master's (I think that's the term), and not be damaged by finishing moves. Those buggers can be a huge pain.

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
37. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 19:10 Alamar

So.. Knowing nothing about this game, I check the steam page... Great.. Two videos... Neither of which tells me even the slightest bit of info about the game... Guess I can check back when it's $5 ; )  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 LE Trailer
7. Re: Far Cry 4 LE Trailer Oct 3, 2014, 15:36 Alamar

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:52:
It will be released next month. Maybe preorder numbers are not high enough so they are trying to build up hype with all these trailers.

Preorder numbers are never high enough... As in, it's not possible...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 14:10 Alamar

I buy like one thing every 5 years on amazon, so that won't be much help, but I'll try to remember to click the link first, in a few years ; )  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
58. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 23:46 Alamar

Steam says I've put in 12h so far... Good times... My opinion is unchanged, and I'm still having a lot of fun...

I also took a 19m Shadowplay of a massive 100 on 1 fight, where I eventually died, but holy crap, that was some hectic fun : )

1831 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo