Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1754 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
19. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 10:56 Alamar

Minecraft really is this generation's Lego... And without all the complications/limitations that Lego has... Also without some of the benefit, but Minecraft has no choking hazard, so it's all good : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2014, 20:12 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:42:
Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:35:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 12:05:
And how about holding publishers and developers liable for not fixing their hacked games? Nah, getting the government involved is about revenge, not fixing things. I sympathize with the desire for making them serve criminal sentences but really, it won't fix much and it won't work anyway. Vote with your wallet and complain when there are problems, that will work.

Exactly. Company is to lazy and cheap to fix their game so they get the taxpayers to deal with it? That ain't right.

It doesn't really work like that. And I'm shocked people here think it does.

I mean, there's an entire industry out there dedicated to creating hacks. Any time something is fixed, they find a new way. The only way to stop this is to completely take control of someone's computer and pay attention to everything they're running. No one wants this, and even that isn't entirely foolproof. Or to stream everything like Gaiku or whatever that other one was, and again, no one wants this and someone would still find a way.

Basically, there's no way to prevent hackers from hacking a game. None. Can you guys name a single game that hasn't been hacked? A lot of Xbox Live stuff was pretty hacker-free because, well, because they controlled the entire experience and could detect hacked systems with a reasonable degree of accuracy. And most of this board kind of hates them for it.

If the hacks were built-in cheats, like turning on god mode in multiplayer, yes, I'd agree. But when people are using external programs they're buying solely to cheat, I think that's a bit different than "lazy devs need to fix their lazy game!" Didn't we learn from CS back in the day? A new version fixing the cheats goes out at noon and the guy selling the cheats has his version out by 2.

Thanks for adding some thought and clarity Beamer : )

To add to this, and while it's not a one to one relationship, hacking/cracking, including other forms of malicious software, is a multi billion dollar industry... They may have different goals, but the skillsets greatly overlap.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
6. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 Alamar

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:00:
The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that,"

In short, we are trying to make our games be like blizzard and need to be online all the time as the DRM, but trying to call it as a feature enhancing service in hopes people don't see it as the always online DRM that it really is.

That's essentially how I read it... Though if it has an MP infrastructure in the game, like most shooters, with an online profile (everything has xp/levels now). And still allow LAN play (with or without connecting to the backend), so LAN parties, which are drying up too fast, can still function as they should.

However, as spoiled PC gamers, we want dedicated servers that anyone can throw up anywhere, and not pay for the extra development of these : )

I don't know how this could be used to add value to non-MP games though... DLC is already an addition that you need to be connected (or pirate) for, but it also already costs money...

-Alamar

News Comments > Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped
38. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 17:37 Alamar

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:46:
Eh no loss for me, I pirate all Ubi games anyway, that's my policy. Until they remove fucking Uplay, they are never getting another dime from me.

So go ahead, castrate the game all you want.

We all have our justifications, for the things we do, but I wonder... Do you also have this policy for more invasive, in the way, DRM schemes, like Steam?

-Alamar

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Trailers
11. Re: Far Cry 4 Trailers Jun 10, 2014, 15:10 Alamar

OMFG... Drop in MP... That's awesome... Though, Dungeon Siege 3 had that, and it was hated, so we'll see...

FC3 MP was cool, but being able to jump into same world is better... Though not being able to do 'solo' missions is unfortunate.

-Alamar

News Comments > Pinball RPG Rollers of the Realm Announced
7. Re: Pinball RPG Rollers of the Realm Announced Jun 8, 2014, 00:00 Alamar

Axis wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 10:59:
Bout time, looks like something I'd play.

Only pinball games I spent many many moons on was the original Amiga Pinball dreams and Sierra's 3d pinball games.

But... but... Epic Pinball...

-Alamar

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers
13. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 19:44 Alamar

Just tried with Dark Souls II... Seems to work fine, but I hate the controller, so it didn't last long.

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month
10. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 12:15 Alamar

Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 08:44:
The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Maybe it's me, or the changes in the game... I would have to play some more DS1 to find out, but I very rarely bring out the shield in DS2... I'm almost always using a power stance (dual wield) build (as opposed to a 2h build, which generally relies on larger, slower, weapons that I don't enjoy).

I also go pure melee almost everywhere... I've never used a herb (which replenishes castings of spells), and even with a ton of attunement/slots, there just isn't many spell uses available, so I 'save them', then end up not using them.

Even my sorcerer is dual wield Blue Flame (a sword that can be used to cast spells).

-Alamar

News Comments > Defiance Now Free-to-Play
5. Re: Defiance Now Free-to-Play Jun 4, 2014, 22:11 Alamar

Anyone get this shit to work?

Their steps involve installing another client (yay)... And 'clicking on defiance'... which isn't listed... Clicking on it on the store shows a Play link, that does nothing... Even tried with a new acct...

Edit: Still don't see it working in their Glyph launcher, but I re-installed the Defiance launcher to a non-protected folder... UAC related stuff has been around for how many years, and they still can't do this shit properly?

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2014, 23:21.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month
2. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 21:43 Alamar

I vary rarely pick up DLC... But this'll likely be my first season pass purchase...

Steam says 183h so far, and I'm still finding new(ish) ways to enjoy it ; )

I'm kind of addicted to leveling, and trying out new builds (from the start), so I've barely put any time into NG+.

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2014, 00:04 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 17:35:
Nice to see Distant Worlds in the list. Despite its hefty price, it's easily the best 4x space game ever made and the devs are making a mistake pricing this game so high.

I don't disagree about the price, but it is kind of a contradictory statement ; )

If it's really the best, it's worth the price.

Nonetheless... A few sales from now, it could end up high on the list, assuming word of mouth is good.

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Machines Delayed
29. Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 16:12 Alamar

I just want to point out... This is a beautiful example of what a thread should be like...

Lots of good points... Very little of that negative stuff I won't call out.

Thank you : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Early Access Next Month
2. Re: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Early Access Next Month May 28, 2014, 09:32 Alamar

nin wrote on May 28, 2014, 08:56:
Seriously needs a name change...I see "Heretic" and just about hit the roof.

Sooooo disappointing...

Shadows: Hexen Heretic Kingdoms Early Access Next Month...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Machines Delayed
2. Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 09:25 Alamar

I am not a believer... And I expect Steam Machines, SteamOS, to go the way of the ouya bird... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 14:55 Alamar

How can your customers be satisfied if they're not there to watch it?

Most techie peeps have DVRs and a lot of their friends/family, but I would guess most people still don't.

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 25, 2014, 14:41 Alamar

PS4's price was arbitrarily raised $50 in Canada... So while I was considering it at some point, that's been held off for quite a while (now the Infamous bundle has to be sub $400).

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:17 Alamar

So, Planetary Annihilation is finally down to a reasonable price... Though I'm not sure I'll pick it up at $30... Seems they did add some SP content though, which is what I would play.  

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
20. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 22, 2014, 20:55 Alamar

Mad Max RW wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:04:
HL3 concept art was leaked a couple years ago. It's funny seeing all the phony rage at Valve because you know you're going to buy it anyway.

Not within a year or two of launch ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Watch Dogs Launch Trailer
3. Re: Watch Dogs Launch Trailer May 22, 2014, 17:21 Alamar

Don't know anything about the game, but the trailer does nothing for me... Looks like he's just running around casting spells...

And that's how I feel about sci fi vs fantasy : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
9. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 10:45 Alamar

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:32:
MOBA has to be hitting critical mass soon, if not already.

I remember people claiming this ridiculously soon/early for MMO's...

Though, this time I agree, and it may be for the same reason people thought the same of MMO's ~8 years ago... Lack of interest. I just don't like the style/interface of MOBA's enough.

-Alamar

1754 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo