Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1814 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
24. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:29 Alamar

My first thought about Steam OS was.. Maybe I'll dual boot, when it's ready...

But what's the point? What does it actually offer? Compared to what it takes away...

Btw, I now have a 50" TV (thanks Boxing Day sales) hooked up behind my computer desk, where my recliner is, so my office is both where my PC is, and my (second) living room : ) Got it about a week ago, and I've sat at the desk like once since then.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
20. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 17:27 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:31:
You kind of can.
For a developer like Valve, when someone leaves, it makes news. And you know when a developer leaves because they update their linkedin.

You know when a developer 'of note' leaves because people watch their linkedin...

There are dozens of unknowns at Valve (and every company) who's comings and goings, you'll never hear about...

-Alamar

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
5. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 11:44 Alamar

At least Lego Marvel wasn't touched ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
20. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 2, 2014, 11:43 Alamar

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 02:01:
Cutter wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 23:23:
I do my very best to avoid giving Marvel any money. They're total pricks.
I think you mean Activision... right?

Or EA?

-Alamar

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
50. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 11:28 Alamar

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 12:13:
If you haven't bought or downloaded the originals by now I would have to wonder why. Why not at the very least sample two of the greatest ARPGs from two decades back? Even if their old school gameplay and graphics are more than you can bare. You owe it to yourself to try them especially when you've seen they are so cheap or even free at times.

I can tell you why : )

Having tried them when they first came out, I didn't like them... I know I'm in the curmudgeon minority though (as opposed to the curmudgeon majority).

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2014, 11:23 Alamar

Sounds like a lot of PC gift giving this season, which still have Win7 on them...

The crazy number is XP is still around 30%... Which isn't really crazy if you think about when the next viable alternative came around (Win7), and that PC's last a long time (for those of us that don't game on them).

-Alamar

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 17:57 Alamar

Prez wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 16:29:
Overon wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 16:16:
Why can't valve anticipate that when they do something like this their website store goes down do to load. Why not throw some extra capacity at the problem to prevent it from happening? Now people can't access the site to buy games.

It seems so basic yet Valve bungles this every year. Apparently a lot of people still hadn't bought L4D2 by now.

I considered getting it a while back, but it looks mainly coop, and I didn't have anyone to play with...

I did, however, pick up How To Survive in this morning's Flash Sale, and I'm loving the humor...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
41. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2013, 11:03 Alamar

Prez wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 08:54:
I'm doing quite well on the sale myself. As Verno said it's more small publishers nowadays but that's cool. I bought some lesser games (non-AAA) that I've been wanting for a while all for very little scratch. So far I got:

Contagion
Reus
Cities XL Platinum
The Harvest
Shadow Warrior
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK Classic Pack
Eador: Genesis
Resonance
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
Armada 2526 Gold
3DMark Advanced
Lost Planet Colonies
Dark Void

I got one of those : )

Also going to pick up Tomb Raider on Amazon... For $5 : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 21:19 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:18:
Acutally, I came up with a good idea for a website or utility gamers would love. A way to check your Steam wishlist - or any other - across multiple digital sales sites to see if it's on for a good sale somewhere.

Not sure if you're just being sarcastic...

I know it's been posted here a whole bunch of times, and I'm pretty sure you live on the boards... But just in case... [url=sThereAnyDeal.com[/url]

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
37. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 20, 2013, 10:55 Alamar

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 21:47:
The regular edition should be $29.99 and the CE $49.99. The prices they are asking are insane and just prove how detached from reality Blizzard have become. If you have a main game that is considered a fail by many people then you don't usually try to rip off people with an expansion. Unless you're Blizzard I guess.

On the other hand... there are tards paying hundreds of $$$ for attending the advertising show that is called Blizzcon so it's hard to blame Blizz for taking advantage of the fucktards of this planet. In the end the dumbasses are getting what they deserve if they pay what Blizzard is demanding.

I don't know specifics, because it's way too far for me to travel, but I believe Blizzcon admission has always been cheap, relatively... Travel/hotel sucks, but in that case, it's a vacation like any other, and hopefully, non-stereotypical gamers, get some time out in the sun : )

I'm looking forward to the expansion, and will likely delete the characters I like to level them up again (I like to level, so the new (as in D3's unlock style) system provides some annoyances/conflicts). On the plus side, this may let me put off getting Dark Souls 2 until it's out for XBONE/PS4/PC.

-Alamar

News Comments > Rise of the Wang
9. Re: Rise of the Wang Dec 19, 2013, 10:51 Alamar

Based on the title, I was expecting something Penny Arcade related...

-Alamar

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows
9. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows Dec 18, 2013, 13:39 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:23:
What do the Polish have to do with this? Why pick on the Poles?

If those from Poland are poles, what are those from Holland?

-Alamar

News Comments > Dota 2 Access Opened to All
13. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 16:08 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 15:03:
Alamar wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:52:
Which reminds me of WoW vs elitistjerks (and similar sites), which people would quote as biblical (as in, they believed everything they read, and that it didn't require any thought, just faith), and make the wrong choices based on their lack of understanding of the math behind the 'one true build/spec/gearing'. /rambling

-Alamar

Your story reminded me of wow exactly. Years ago, we had this asshole tank who joined our PUG group (doing a daily dungeon). If you left the group, you were penalized (and had to wait like 20-30 minutes to requeue). But if you were vote kicked, you suffered no penalty. So he decided he didn't like the rest of us, and kept being a jackass and telling us to kick him. Only we knew exactly what he was doing, and refused to do so...he finally got pissed enough and left on his own. We got to requeue instantly, he didn't.

I, and my guildies/wife, had a very similar experience once... We had a guy join as tank, for the fast queue, but wasn't there to tank... Expecting people to quit, and maintain his fast queue.

Instead, we exited the dungeon and did other things for 30m, so while we all got screwed, we didn't let him fuck over others : )

I've had a few other bad LFD experiences, but overall, I think it's a great system, and most of the people I grouped with were fine, albeit not friendly (just also not unfriendly).

-Alamar

11. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 14:52 Alamar

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:33:
I can't really say I've had many bad experiences in DotA 2, in fact I think I get more abuse in FPS games. They have a lot of community tools to deal with it now so it's not the big deal it used to be IMO and I've found many players very intense but willing to teach and help new players.

I only ever had one bad experience in DotA 2, and it was in a bot match...

I was in bottom lane with a guy that just kept trashing how I was playing... Nothing constructive; him just being a dick... He bitched about the order I unlocked skills, how I was attacking, etc... Surprised he didn't bitch that I was not dancing my character back and forth all the time... By the end of the match, I was getting huge chain kills, and ended up at, or near the top of the 'leaderboard' (which isn't bad considering my start was rocky, and DotA/MOBA's are definitely a type of game where the first few minutes can determine the results of the match).

So even though he was an asshole, I was in 'learning mode', so didn't ignore his hostile criticisms, and a few of the things I tried, and ultimately found out to be a bad idea heh... Which reminds me of WoW vs elitistjerks (and similar sites), which people would quote as biblical (as in, they believed everything they read, and that it didn't require any thought, just faith), and make the wrong choices based on their lack of understanding of the math behind the 'one true build/spec/gearing'. /rambling

Having seen another comment about higher difficulty bot matches, I'm reminded that this same asshole kept bragging about how he's gone through on the highest bot match level... Which to me, screams ridiculousness...

siapnar wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:06:
I've had enough of DOTA. Same thing over and over and over again.

They could at least do a proper reskin of the one map. I'm talking something more extensive like a tropical or desert setting, not just a slight texture change in the Frostivus/Halloween versions

This was, in a nutshell, why I didn't understand the popularity of MOBA's, because I would look at them, and see that they all have one (maybe two or three) maps... So it's the same game every single time... Not entirely true, because the variety of the game is that the champions can be quite different. But for me, it still gets old pretty fast.

But even having wondered about MOBA's, and thinking back to when I gamed a lot, competitively, it was Excessive UT CTF, which typically was on a server with like 5-8 maps, so not a ton more variety, and every character was the same, so in some ways, less variety.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2013, 15:00.

10. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 14:34 Alamar

How odd... When I signed up a few months ago, I don't recall having to wait to play, beyond the download...

Maybe I'm misreading, and the only difference is you don't need an acct (outside of the steam acct it's connected to anyways), but I don't think I had used a separate account...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 Alamar

Rhino wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 05:34:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 01:31:
You guys remember back in the day, before that sale; when Rhino used to have money, he was so happy then.

What happened?

Crazy Coughing Paperbag

Heh heh. Ah, I'm just on a high at the prospect that that pathetic, over dramatic, attention seeking, whiny, food devouring blob might be getting out of here. I'd kick her out if she weren't watching the kids during the day while we were at work. Though her stupidity and ignorance have lead to some amusing moments.

Mother in Law: "Oh, she's looking at you with bedroom eyes!"
Me: "That would mean that our infant daughter wants to have sex with us, and that's not happening, here."

My Mother in Law), sitting on the floor with one of the kids, staring at one spot on the floor in front of her. My wife and I noticed this.
Wife: "Mom, is something wrong?"
Mother in Law: "Oh, there are a couple of centipedes here on the floor."
A few seconds go by.
Me: "...maybe you should DO something about that."
Mother in Law: "Oh, they're burrowing in and out of the carpet."
Now I know she's looking to be dramatic. It's carpet, and centipedes aren't tunneling into the floorboards at such a rate that they can't be scooped up with a tissue.
Me: "Jesus Christ, here, I'll do it.
*sigh* Those aren't centipedes."
Mother in Law: "Sure they are. I saw them all of the time growing up. Those are centipedes."

Let me describe these centipedes:
Their bodies consisted of three segments. These three are oval in shape, roughly. The head segment had a pair of antenna, and the creatures had six legs.

And it goes on and on... those are just a couple of the amusing ones. I don't want to think about the ones that made me almost abandon my policy of non-violence.

Living with people can surely suck, so I'll try not to judge too harshly...

However... Try to keep in mind, that no matter how much you dislike, disagree, etc, your S.O.'s parents (or just one of them), they're very largely responsible for how your S.O. turned out... Be thankful : )

-Alamar

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
24. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:21 Alamar

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:10:
Parias wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:05:
What's there to be disappointed about? Not quite following your logic.

devs getting paid for unfinished work? could be a bit demotivational, theoretically

getting the equivalent moneys for a fully finished and complete game before actually doing the work to make it fully finished and complete - theres the logic

Yet, it's infinitely better than pre-orders, which have become increasingly popular the last decade, especially for consoles, where the store gets to sit on that money for months... Much better the developers, who are actually working to make the game... Or paying their employees.

Personally, as a huge fan of choice, I think early access is great, for a lot of titles... But I feel I'm in the minority, because I can hold off buying a game until release (or even, seasonal sale) if I don't think it's worth it. I think I have pre-ordered three titles in my life, or, I can think of three, and it may actually be closer to 5. I don't regret any of them, and for the ones unreleased, I look forward to playing more of the game, when it's available.

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2013, 15:22 Alamar

Vending machine spit out a second package of Starburst... Today can't be all bad! : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
32. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 21, 2013, 15:23 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:54:
PoE has "pvp," sorta. It's pretty terrible right now. Server instability/desync issues make PoE unplayable even in solo games quite often, far more than D3 for me at least. It would have been amazing to have a moddable, offline version of PoE.

Everything else has been said to death about the positives and negatives of PoE/D3, I just hope the Grim Dawn developers are taking a good look at each game and learning from other peoples' mistakes.

vote for Grim Dawn 2014, for your ARPG fix!

Sadly, this won't be the case... Grim Dawn is shaping up to be a rehash of TQ, which I personally really enjoyed most of.

And while, more of the same, can be a lot of fun, they also don't have the team, the time, or the money, to learn from D3/PoE's mistakes...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:53 Alamar

Week after week, I see 10 titles have little to no interest in... Wonder what that means... : )

-Alamar

1814 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo