Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2013, 12:50 Alamar

'identical', but different...

When I was a kid, I used to say two things were 'exactly the same, but different'...

I've heard other kids recently say similar things, and I think it's cute... When a kid does it...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
32. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 16:08 Alamar

Minuit wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:18:
The full quote was a bit more interesting, but it was cut from the interview. I expect it went a bit like this, and involved Mark Rubin inexplicably doing a spot-on impression of Hugo Weaving:

"I'd like to share a revelation that Iíve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify our customers, and I realised that CoD players are not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their game library; but CoD players do not. Instead they play the same game over, and over again, until there is nothing left to play. The only way for them to survive is to spread to a sequel with the same engine and 90% recycled content. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. CoD players are a disease, a cancer on this planet, they are a plague, and we... are the cure."

One of the few times I would support a voting system on Blues : )

-Alamar

News Comments > ROAM vs How to Survive
14. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 14:11 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:51:
Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:40:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:59:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

How is it absurd that eh may have stolen the idea from "Monster Island"...

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

Because he's the accuser. This isn't a complex situation, guys.

Which is why Creston made the joke he did...

I'm not sure how you're failing to understand this line of thought.

-Alamar

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
18. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 13:49 Alamar

ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:29:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:26:
psulli wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:35:
Because believe it or not "gamer" has hugely negative connotations for everyone else that sees gaming as a waste of time.

That use to be a thing... if it still is then were talking about old people set in their ways. If Activision is ashamed of making games, then well I don't know anymore.

Ok there could be a small sliver of people that only play COD everyday and nothing else. They still fall into gamer... if you're doing it everyday I got to call it what it is, embarrassing to that person or not.

I still felt calling a WoW player who plays 8 hours a day hardcode and they don't play anything else. COD isn't a casual game, it falls under hardcore, even though it's mainstream. It's not farmville, it's hardcore killing and swearing and all the stuff that comes with that type of game.

All imo.

Nah, being a gamer is still seen as an horrible thing. Try talking to a girl and telling her you're a gamer and see her interest instantly disapear :p

Or... Bring it up during an interview...

I do : )

'How did you start as a developer?'

'Well, Bob, may I call you Bob?'

'It's Robert'

'Well, Bob, My father bought us, and by us, I mean, me, because my brother wasn't allowed to touch my precious, an Atari 2600, when I was a munchkin. Ever since that point, I have been obsessed with flashy (not always high quality) graphics, collecting stuff, and looking at the smallest of details in the darkest of red-herring-smelling corners. Due to that, I yearned to know how it all worked, and because of my desire for knowledge, I consumed book after book, gaining experience, and increasing my general level of understanding.'

'You won't find a more detail oriented, and creative quest, er, problem solver, this side of Hyrule.'

I could go on, but I think you get the idea... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > ROAM vs How to Survive
11. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 13:40 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:59:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

How is it absurd that eh may have stolen the idea from "Monster Island"...

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 28, 2013, 09:17 Alamar

Ledge wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 07:01:
after purchasing the metro franchise pak for like 34 bucks a few days ago, it seems its been reduced even further to $21.somethin. bad timing. great game though.

Keep this in mind... Any time there is a publisher wide promotion, each individual (major) game/franchise will go on a daily sale during the week long sale...

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 18:09 Alamar

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:33:
It's good, I have played it for about an hour or so last night but I ran into bugs. Gameplay wise, it's the same as the previous two, and graphically it's about the same also. But it seems a bit less polished IMHO. I played both AA and AC without running into a single issue. This one I ran into an issue about an hour in. One where I got into a room and there was no way out (had to restart from checkpoint). Technically, there is a way out, but the game just won't let you get into the vent. And another where 2 thugs on a roof were buried in the snow. One up to his shoulders and one up to his forehead. You can't hit them either, but I did get to hit the one buried up to his shoulders with a manually aimed batarang.

Burnley Comms Tower... Just got hit by this too... How does something this obvious pass QA?

I'm also finding the controls awkward... But I'm hoping I can adjust.

-Alamar

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 09:56 Alamar

Played about 90m last night, and am enjoying it so far... Can't compare to the previous two though.

Seems to be 'open world', or at least 'open city', so like many other games; you have a city map, and stuff happening. Purposefully vague to avoid spoilage, and not sure how much of this is from the previous game, or others in the genre.

-Alamar

News Comments > 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced
3. Re: 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced Oct 24, 2013, 10:25 Alamar

unprecedented

I do not think this word means what you think it means...

-Alamar

News Comments > Space Engineers Early Access
1. Re: Space Engineers Early Access Oct 23, 2013, 22:05 Alamar

Was looking at this game earlier...

Seems neat, and they had fun with the collisions (the entire second video shows that), but it needs a bit more game before I jump in...

-Alamar

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins 17 Minute Trailer
10. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins 17 Minute Trailer Oct 21, 2013, 17:39 Alamar

The preload, is available on Steam, kind of... 180 MB came down, so it's a little confusing, but now that that's there, maybe it'll automatically update when it's available... Though, I don't leave steam running all the time, so maybe moot for me.

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
46. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 00:31 Alamar

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 23:40:
Who knew Blue's attracted so many self-described experts in all things. Economists, lawyers, historians, everything is right here at a video game website for my disposal!

Uhm... Why wouldn't this site have Economists, Lawyers, or Historians, along with the other variety of professions Blues News readers are involved in?

-Alamar

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2013, 16:23 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 14:32:
I still disagree with you guys. If someone is still actively using a copyright, why should it lapse?

The argument is typically that it would encourage innovation - why would allowing some guy to make a Mario game encourage innovation? Yeah, I know the argument is that Nintendo couldn't keep kicking out Mario games because the brand would be so diluted that they'd need to come up with new characters.

But why? For one, we'd get an endless flood of shitty Mario games, which seems to help no one. For another, shouldn't we be encouraging the people, like the guy here, that are making cool Mario games to instead innovate and create their own characters?

I agree with all your points, and think that Nintendo/Mario is a crazy bad example...

I like most Mario games, and don't want amateurs messing it up... But on the flip side, I'd also love to see Nintendo add more/better support for modding, just like every other game : )

I can see why they don't however... Especially going further back, Mario games are generally very simplistic platformers... If amateurs could add their own, high quality levels (as in, well built, using available assets), and Nintendo couldn't monetize on it, they would lose a ton of income, and we don't want Nintendo going away ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 17, 2013, 17:57 Alamar

Eirikrautha wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 15:38:
"Ditching Apple for Android? What you need to know." brought to you by Apple PR, Inc.

I mean, let's make changing over sound as painful and dangerous as possible ("What about all those apps you might lose? Oh NOES!!!11!!one!!!" Shocked2 Shocked2 Shocked2 ).

Please. I've got Samsung and iPhones in the family... there's not that much difference any more...

I skipped the vid, but I didn't read anything exaggerated or biased in the article...

Also, apps are the main reason people stick with their current OS, whichever it may be...

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2013, 10:28 Alamar

Pigeon wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 10:11:
Kutcher being the highest paid TV actor is a sign of all that is wrong in the world. /overdramatic

I do find him obnoxious though and its unfortunate that someone I perceive to have far less talent than many other TV actors is being rewarded so handsomely. The only thing I ever thought he did a half decent job of, was on That 70's show playing a self-centered moron.

Just like in many professions... Skill is not the most important aspect in regards to compensation... Plus, using basic economics, he's in high demand, so he can demand high rates.

Kutcher is young, and pretty... Which means two things... He'll keep getting roles, even if it's almost always the same character (not that he's alone in that), and because he's young, he's got another 50+ years (assuming no drug overdose) in hollywood : )

This news-line comes up every few years, if even that far apart, for various, almost-always-male, actors in TV/Movies... I remember when it was Travolta asking ungodly amounts, not long after he had sunk into obscurity... Jim Carrey was getting ungodly amounts at one point too... As was Tim Allen (I recall 1.5 mil an episode) for Home Improvement.

-Alamar

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins
7. Re: Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins Oct 12, 2013, 13:20 Alamar

Only US players can win, but everyone else can go ahead and go fuck themselves... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
18. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 17:31 Alamar

wrlwnd wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:58:
Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:09:
The constant swiping and lifting in FPS seems frustrating to me.

Um, that's exactly how a mouse is used on a PC.

Constant swiping and lifting.

Exactly... If your mouse is constrained in +1 inch box...

The example was a shooter... If I flick my mouse in a shooter, I do a 90-180 degree turn... The video showed like 15 degrees from a full swipe...

Doesn't mean the video is showing everything it can do, but why not show the best it can do to generate hype?

-Alamar

News Comments > SpellForce 2 - Demons Of The Past Pushed to the Future
2. Re: SpellForce 2 - Demons Of The Past Pushed to the Future Oct 10, 2013, 11:22 Alamar

Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:26:
They really need to stop making add-ons with an old outdated engine and develop a new engine that is modern. When old crap like this comes out, it tells me that they have no new ideas or tech in place to develop a new engine and they are milking this cow to death.

Considering the timing between SF2 and the previous expansion, I'm assuming they don't really have much in the way of developers/resources available for a 'true' sequel.

Assuming that's the case, using the old engine, with some minor feature changes for each expansion is still better than nothing, for those of us that liked the game/lore/interface.

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
21. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 10:07 Alamar

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 09:20:
As a parent I don't want a camera in the living room, it's just not a comfortable idea. My cell phone docks off in a forgotten corner of a different room, my girlfriend uses a laptop but we have pretty tight control over that. It's not even about paranoia scenarios involving the NSA or whatever, there just isn't much upside and the potential for problems is high, it makes no sense. The idea that I need to pay more to get some gadget so a corporation can make more advertising bux really offends me too.

Also maybe we're just not "modern" enough but I prefer that each activity is kept a bit separate. I don't bring my cell phone when I'm watching movies or gaming, I don't watch TV and play with the computer or etc. I like some separation between things, it keeps some distinction and makes for less distraction.

Verno... You're just crazy... : )

I originally bought my second monitor so that I could watch TV shows, while gaming... Now, I was leveling up my first Ret Pally, back when they had one 12s CD attack, and maybe another one; I can't remember, as I was busy enjoying TV shows : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Serves Microsoft right Oct 10, 2013, 10:05 Alamar

DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 02:02:
How does forcing a Kinect camera to be in every system and driving the price up for everybody even those who have no interest in the web cam have anything to do with the 'engineers' knowing better than the customer?

One of the big reasons consoles are so crazy popular, and PC gaming is 'dying', is because of consistency... Developers know their product is going to work, without any extra time spent on the myriad of variations in hardware available. If every XB-One Dev knows that a feature is available, from day one, they know every consumer has access to it, and can build games and features around that knowledge...

For better or worse ; )

This is also not so different with Apple's design goals, and why they still sell a crapload, compared to the 'better' Android offerings (as in, from a hardware perspective, Android devices, being more dispersed, like PC manufacturing, are much stronger). The fact I my daughter can't play Plants vs Zombies on my Nexus 10, but could on my phone, is why apple is still in business... Their shit is outdated (resolutions, performance, form factor), but they're consistent, and people can keep using the apps they love, across every (current) device.

As for Windows 8, and the crappy tablet UI... People want their start menu back! The start menu, that customers flailed against when it was first introduced... Engineer's designed it, and knew it was a better approach, but customer's hated the change... And do again ; )

So say hi to the uranus'ians for me ; )

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo