Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1764 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rise of the Wang
9. Re: Rise of the Wang Dec 19, 2013, 10:51 Alamar

Based on the title, I was expecting something Penny Arcade related...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows
9. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry Delayed for Windows Dec 18, 2013, 13:39 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:23:
What do the Polish have to do with this? Why pick on the Poles?

If those from Poland are poles, what are those from Holland?

-Alamar

News Comments > Dota 2 Access Opened to All
13. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 16:08 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 15:03:
Alamar wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:52:
Which reminds me of WoW vs elitistjerks (and similar sites), which people would quote as biblical (as in, they believed everything they read, and that it didn't require any thought, just faith), and make the wrong choices based on their lack of understanding of the math behind the 'one true build/spec/gearing'. /rambling

-Alamar

Your story reminded me of wow exactly. Years ago, we had this asshole tank who joined our PUG group (doing a daily dungeon). If you left the group, you were penalized (and had to wait like 20-30 minutes to requeue). But if you were vote kicked, you suffered no penalty. So he decided he didn't like the rest of us, and kept being a jackass and telling us to kick him. Only we knew exactly what he was doing, and refused to do so...he finally got pissed enough and left on his own. We got to requeue instantly, he didn't.

I, and my guildies/wife, had a very similar experience once... We had a guy join as tank, for the fast queue, but wasn't there to tank... Expecting people to quit, and maintain his fast queue.

Instead, we exited the dungeon and did other things for 30m, so while we all got screwed, we didn't let him fuck over others : )

I've had a few other bad LFD experiences, but overall, I think it's a great system, and most of the people I grouped with were fine, albeit not friendly (just also not unfriendly).

-Alamar

11. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 14:52 Alamar

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:33:
I can't really say I've had many bad experiences in DotA 2, in fact I think I get more abuse in FPS games. They have a lot of community tools to deal with it now so it's not the big deal it used to be IMO and I've found many players very intense but willing to teach and help new players.

I only ever had one bad experience in DotA 2, and it was in a bot match...

I was in bottom lane with a guy that just kept trashing how I was playing... Nothing constructive; him just being a dick... He bitched about the order I unlocked skills, how I was attacking, etc... Surprised he didn't bitch that I was not dancing my character back and forth all the time... By the end of the match, I was getting huge chain kills, and ended up at, or near the top of the 'leaderboard' (which isn't bad considering my start was rocky, and DotA/MOBA's are definitely a type of game where the first few minutes can determine the results of the match).

So even though he was an asshole, I was in 'learning mode', so didn't ignore his hostile criticisms, and a few of the things I tried, and ultimately found out to be a bad idea heh... Which reminds me of WoW vs elitistjerks (and similar sites), which people would quote as biblical (as in, they believed everything they read, and that it didn't require any thought, just faith), and make the wrong choices based on their lack of understanding of the math behind the 'one true build/spec/gearing'. /rambling

Having seen another comment about higher difficulty bot matches, I'm reminded that this same asshole kept bragging about how he's gone through on the highest bot match level... Which to me, screams ridiculousness...

siapnar wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:06:
I've had enough of DOTA. Same thing over and over and over again.

They could at least do a proper reskin of the one map. I'm talking something more extensive like a tropical or desert setting, not just a slight texture change in the Frostivus/Halloween versions

This was, in a nutshell, why I didn't understand the popularity of MOBA's, because I would look at them, and see that they all have one (maybe two or three) maps... So it's the same game every single time... Not entirely true, because the variety of the game is that the champions can be quite different. But for me, it still gets old pretty fast.

But even having wondered about MOBA's, and thinking back to when I gamed a lot, competitively, it was Excessive UT CTF, which typically was on a server with like 5-8 maps, so not a ton more variety, and every character was the same, so in some ways, less variety.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2013, 15:00.

10. Re: Dota 2 Access Opened to All Dec 17, 2013, 14:34 Alamar

How odd... When I signed up a few months ago, I don't recall having to wait to play, beyond the download...

Maybe I'm misreading, and the only difference is you don't need an acct (outside of the steam acct it's connected to anyways), but I don't think I had used a separate account...

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 Alamar

Rhino wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 05:34:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 01:31:
You guys remember back in the day, before that sale; when Rhino used to have money, he was so happy then.

What happened?

Crazy Coughing Paperbag

Heh heh. Ah, I'm just on a high at the prospect that that pathetic, over dramatic, attention seeking, whiny, food devouring blob might be getting out of here. I'd kick her out if she weren't watching the kids during the day while we were at work. Though her stupidity and ignorance have lead to some amusing moments.

Mother in Law: "Oh, she's looking at you with bedroom eyes!"
Me: "That would mean that our infant daughter wants to have sex with us, and that's not happening, here."

My Mother in Law), sitting on the floor with one of the kids, staring at one spot on the floor in front of her. My wife and I noticed this.
Wife: "Mom, is something wrong?"
Mother in Law: "Oh, there are a couple of centipedes here on the floor."
A few seconds go by.
Me: "...maybe you should DO something about that."
Mother in Law: "Oh, they're burrowing in and out of the carpet."
Now I know she's looking to be dramatic. It's carpet, and centipedes aren't tunneling into the floorboards at such a rate that they can't be scooped up with a tissue.
Me: "Jesus Christ, here, I'll do it.
*sigh* Those aren't centipedes."
Mother in Law: "Sure they are. I saw them all of the time growing up. Those are centipedes."

Let me describe these centipedes:
Their bodies consisted of three segments. These three are oval in shape, roughly. The head segment had a pair of antenna, and the creatures had six legs.

And it goes on and on... those are just a couple of the amusing ones. I don't want to think about the ones that made me almost abandon my policy of non-violence.

Living with people can surely suck, so I'll try not to judge too harshly...

However... Try to keep in mind, that no matter how much you dislike, disagree, etc, your S.O.'s parents (or just one of them), they're very largely responsible for how your S.O. turned out... Be thankful : )

-Alamar

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
24. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:21 Alamar

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:10:
Parias wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:05:
What's there to be disappointed about? Not quite following your logic.

devs getting paid for unfinished work? could be a bit demotivational, theoretically

getting the equivalent moneys for a fully finished and complete game before actually doing the work to make it fully finished and complete - theres the logic

Yet, it's infinitely better than pre-orders, which have become increasingly popular the last decade, especially for consoles, where the store gets to sit on that money for months... Much better the developers, who are actually working to make the game... Or paying their employees.

Personally, as a huge fan of choice, I think early access is great, for a lot of titles... But I feel I'm in the minority, because I can hold off buying a game until release (or even, seasonal sale) if I don't think it's worth it. I think I have pre-ordered three titles in my life, or, I can think of three, and it may actually be closer to 5. I don't regret any of them, and for the ones unreleased, I look forward to playing more of the game, when it's available.

-Alamar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2013, 15:22 Alamar

Vending machine spit out a second package of Starburst... Today can't be all bad! : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
32. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 21, 2013, 15:23 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:54:
PoE has "pvp," sorta. It's pretty terrible right now. Server instability/desync issues make PoE unplayable even in solo games quite often, far more than D3 for me at least. It would have been amazing to have a moddable, offline version of PoE.

Everything else has been said to death about the positives and negatives of PoE/D3, I just hope the Grim Dawn developers are taking a good look at each game and learning from other peoples' mistakes.

vote for Grim Dawn 2014, for your ARPG fix!

Sadly, this won't be the case... Grim Dawn is shaping up to be a rehash of TQ, which I personally really enjoyed most of.

And while, more of the same, can be a lot of fun, they also don't have the team, the time, or the money, to learn from D3/PoE's mistakes...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:53 Alamar

Week after week, I see 10 titles have little to no interest in... Wonder what that means... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
20. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 17:37 Alamar

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:48:
For a second I thought this was a Mordor expansion for LOTRO. Third person game, hmmm...

On a sidenote, LOTR War in the North is actually a really good game. If you can get that on sale this december, I definitely recommend it. I had a great time playing through that around four times.

Why wait for December... It's on for 6 more days at humble...

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
18. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 11, 2013, 14:04 Alamar

PropheT wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:39:
GL1zdA wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 17:45:
I don't think they designed the loot system around the AH.

Have you played the console version? It's pretty apparent after even just a chapter or two that the loot for PC isn't anything comparable because you're meant to "trade" for it (use the AH).

Just as a comparison, when my LAN party of 4 people played through D3 at release, we found 2 unique items in the entirety of the game; both were underleveled for where we were when we found them. In the console version, by the end of Act 2 I had 5 unique items equipped on my character, all level appropriate, combined with the random-stat yellow rare gear that I'd found that was also all level appropriate. I was better geared at level 24 on my console character than my level 42 character I had on PC was when I went back to check simply because my level 42 character still had a bunch of level 15-20 gear for lack of finding anything better that was right for my class/level.

Beat normal on console, you're ready for Nightmare. Beat Nightmare, you're ready for Hell. No re-grinding chapters for loot or gold or in most cases just buying the gear on the AH to progress.

There's really no comparison or question as to whether or not D3 was designed around the AH for its loot system, it absolutely was.

Your entire argument doesn't show that D3 loot was designed around the AH though... All it says is, console versions have more (and I'll assume, better) stuff drop.

I'm not claiming it isn't, just that your argument has no proof... There were many loot complaints, irregardless of the AH involvement, and they made it less grindy.

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
26. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 8, 2013, 21:20 Alamar

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 19:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 17:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 16:51:
Are they just out of original ideas?

I thought Pandaria WAS an original idea. No one liked it.

Anything using existing lore and people bitch that it's rehashed and lame. Anything new and people bitch that it has nothing to do with Warcraft.

This is the nature of the internet... And I don't mean that cynically...

Any group that is large enough, including the Blues News Curmudgeons I have occasionally griped about, have enough people, that at any given time, one part is complaining about a feature existing, while others are complaining about a feature missing, while others love each of those, any combination thereof... So at some future time, there will always be a factual ability to complain about previous complainers (and whichever opinion any given subset of that group had issue with).

In short, we all need to realize that it's all moot, because most of the time, it's a different group of people, but we group all conflicting views together... Plus, people are allowed to change their minds : )

-Alamar

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
23. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 8, 2013, 19:22 Alamar

I wonder if, for the entire expansion, your character looks like an Orc or Drainy (sic), because the other races wouldn't make sense... : )

-Alamar

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 14:03 Alamar

Blue wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 11:35:
DrSquick wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:31:
Blue, that got me thinking - do you prepare Saturday's and Sunday's posts ahead of time? Or have you worked seven days a week for the last 15 years?

The latter.

I was going to ask a similar question...

I guess your weekends are more like half-time-off, as there is generally less news to report, but you're still putting in (some of) the time...

For those of us that are always on the PC, and weekends don't change that kind of routine much either, we appreciate it : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
23. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:46 Alamar

Due to some comments here, I'm gonna jump on it...

I had been looking forward to this for too long (It's one of about 4 things I 'like' on FB : )...

As for actual release schedule, end of year is no chance, and early 2014 is unlikely (based on my minimal knowledge) : )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Nov 6, 2013, 09:07 Alamar

DarkCntry wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 04:34:
Krovven wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 00:52:
New system sucks. Copy and pasting the serials to friends was so much simpler.

I agree, but I also see the reason behind this...it's to keep people from buying these games and reselling them for full-price, making a massive profit at the sake of the publishers offering the games and HB itself.

Stupid people ruin it for the good people.

Crafty people...

So how does the publisher or HB lose on this? They're still getting a sale they wouldn't otherwise get... People that don't know about the sale, or HB in general, pay a price they agree on, likely still quite a bit cheaper than they would get it otherwise...

Where's the harm?

Interestingly, I wouldn't do it, because it feels wrong, but I ask myself the same questions, and I don't see the negative.

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 1, 2013, 19:34 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 16:22:
Alamar wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 12:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:27:
Batman: Arkham Origins on ActionTrip and Techgage.

Update in the last 12 or so hours - FYI. Fixes Burnley towers and other issues.

Hmmm... Must have been an update after the update... I tried after one yesterday (or Wed?) and I still had an issue.

Edit: And it was... Just unlocked the tower... I still don't get the first room... You break through the window to get in the room, and you can't get out the window (unless there was some odd angle I didn't see that let you hook to the next building)... And hacking that console puts bars on the window... But has no actual point/effect...

-Alamar

If you have the grapple line gun, then you can get out.
But if you hack the machine, the bars come down (thus sticking you in there before the update).
When I went into the room today, the machine was already hacked (turned off) the grate was off, and the bars did not appear (since machine was off).

So I assume they just simplified the whole tower.

That may have been due to an earlier save for you... Any time I had gone on pre-patch, I had restarted at the previous save/checkpoint...

Today, I went through the window, up through the vent to the top, hacked that one, which opened the zone, then went back down and hacked the one that locked the window.

-Alamar

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 1, 2013, 12:01 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:27:
Batman: Arkham Origins on ActionTrip and Techgage.

Update in the last 12 or so hours - FYI. Fixes Burnley towers and other issues.

Hmmm... Must have been an update after the update... I tried after one yesterday (or Wed?) and I still had an issue.

Edit: And it was... Just unlocked the tower... I still don't get the first room... You break through the window to get in the room, and you can't get out the window (unless there was some odd angle I didn't see that let you hook to the next building)... And hacking that console puts bars on the window... But has no actual point/effect...

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2013, 12:14.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2013, 11:48 Alamar

I loathe parents that bitch about 'age' of 'kids begging for candy'...

Why, you may wonder? My older brother was able to go out for years after I, without getting bitched at, like I did, because I was tall for my quite-young-age...

-Alamar

1764 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo