Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alamar

Real Name Alamar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2005, 15:11
Total Comments 1780 (Pro)
User ID 22996

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming
2. Re: More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming Feb 21, 2014, 12:24 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:19:
Good! Much as I like the game I regret doing the early access thing. I think it's a bad thing for developers that do well with it. Makes them slack and lose focus as the money rolls in. Imagine getting paid before you actually go and do work. You might lose some motivation when the money is already in the bank, right? They need to stay lean and focused. Eye of the Tiger, baby! Rocky learned that hard lesson!

I disagree, and you seem to be forgetting that, by the time you can get a product into Early Access on Steam, your team has already put in a lot of work...

As for the disagree, greed wins for most people... If you're already selling your product, you have to figure that it's going to generate a lot more income when it's complete, so that's more motivation, not less, to get it finished...

I think most of what the problem with Early Access is, is that there are a lot of inexperienced indies that just don't know how much more time they're going to need to finish a project. Even when things go perfectly, and bug free, which they never do, shit takes a long time.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Hollow Lullaby" Trailer
5. Re: Dark Souls II Feb 21, 2014, 11:47 Alamar

I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for the PC version...

-Alamar

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - EvilQuest
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - EvilQuest Feb 21, 2014, 11:34 Alamar

Only differs by 2 letters, but a few second look at the game, you can tell there shouldn't be any confusion...

Looks like fun, and it's only $2... May have to add that to my queue.

-Alamar

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Video
21. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Video Feb 19, 2014, 19:33 Alamar

Don't care much for the video... Would rather play, than watch...

But I'm looking forward to the changes, and new content... Will likely try the new class out first, but assuming I enjoy it, like I did at launch, I may re-roll some of my 60s...

I find the whole 'fiasco' interesting, because it appears that the answer to all the loot complaints is better gear, more often... Which just makes the/any game easier, sometimes too easy, which can be pretty boring. I didn't mind the original loot system, as it didn't feel any different than all the other ARPGs I have loved, and I enjoyed the skill-unlocking leveling system, and trying out new skills/combos/builds. I like not having to through out a character, because of a few bad choices (tree based advancement), but I also enjoy leveling anew, so I'm a bit conflicted ; )

March is a busy month though, DS2 is what I'm looking most forward to, but not sure I want to pick it up on the PS3 vs waiting for PC.

-Alamar

News Comments > Sacred 3 This Summer
8. Re: Sacred 3 This Summer Feb 19, 2014, 19:07 Alamar

Have never been a fan of this series, but I'm hopeful #3 will be fun...

Not that it has any effect on the game, but the trailer was entertaining.

-Alamar

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 19:46 Alamar

osage no onna wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:36:
Hooray! I've gotten so used to reading people's comments here over the... uh, decades... that it felt surprisingly weird not having that option whenever some half-interesting news broke.

Indeed... Hadn't realized how much I depended on the curmudgeon cranky talk... : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Rust Punches Cheaters
1. Re: Rust Punches Cheaters Feb 12, 2014, 09:32 Alamar

I have never cheated in a multiplayer, competitive game... I simply don't see the appeal, because I love winning...

That may seem backwards, but it's really not... If I were to win something, by cheating, it's not really a win.

Now, I've been accused of cheating many times... And there's not much more I boast about, in gaming, than that... Especially when it's in a game I am just very good at (like UT Excessive, 'back in the day').

I can, however, see some of the appeal for others, in cheating competitively... And I assume, for the most part, it comes down to one thing... They're just not good enough at the game. I'm quite out of practice in FPS games myself, and I tried out Loadout when it hit last week... I played horribly... Only played against bots, but looking at my stats, and just the feel of how I was playing, I knew I was a detriment to my team... But even playing that badly, I have no interest in cheating, because of some of the above, and because I know, with experience, I would get much better... I have that patience...

/Ramble

-Alamar

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter
4. Re: Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter Feb 11, 2014, 10:29 Alamar

Can't see enough, so hard to judge, but it doesn't look like my style of game...

However, I think the presentation was great, and that's what sells : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
31. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 21:10 Alamar

nin wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:18:
NewMaxx wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:15:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:35:
I don't know about dollar success, but I think Angry Birds is more analogous ... But Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are two games I wouldn't have guessed would almost immediately rake in more money than I'll ever see in my life. Are there a ton of people with a gene that makes bird games irresistible

Except for the fact that Angry Birds is a well-designed game. It has pleasing graphics, decent performance, great audio, a fantastic difficulty curve, and in general fits the mold of what a mobile game should be. Flappy Bird rips off not only an entire game concept from Helicopter but also rips off artwork from Super Mario Bros. There's no comparison. One is a new idea done well, another is an old idea that only got popular because people are ADHD-riddled and generally incapable of gauging their self-value outside of a repetitively pointless activity.

You realize Angry Birds ripped off Crush The Castle, right?

I've always contended something along those lines... It's hard to claim that Crush The Castle was the first game of that style when hundreds of 'physics based puzzlers' were popping up at the time...

But it doesn't change NewMaxx's points... It was well designed, pleasing, etc... In essence, they 'Blizzard'd' the game type...

As for Flapppy copying 'Helicopter'... I hope he's not claiming it ripped off a mobile game, because I played that genre about 14 years ago.

-Alamar

News Comments > Dead Island Epidemic Beta Signups Redux
4. Re: Dead Island Epidemic Beta Signups Redux Feb 8, 2014, 10:43 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:43:
Lol. Surely the MOBA market has surpassed critical mass by now? There cannot be enough MOBA players left to play all of these new DotA ripoffs? Keep tossing these things out though, developers, instead of doing anything remotely innovating.

*DISCLAIMER* Not in any way a MOBA player.

People said the exact same thing with MMO's 5-8 years ago...

For me, for the most part, I see MOBA, and move on... But I checked the page, and my interest is already a bit more due to:
"Booming Action: You have direct control over your hero. No Last Hitting, mouse-click-to-move nonsense here - it's you, good ol' WASD, and your trigger finger, making it easy to hop in, no muss, no fuss."

-Alamar

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer
1. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer Feb 5, 2014, 22:54 Alamar

9 minutes of cut scene + gameplay... Better than a trailer : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands
10. Re: Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands Feb 5, 2014, 22:46 Alamar

Parias wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:28:
SimplyMonk wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:58:
Parias wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:04:
And yet smaller companies have no problem keeping their MMORPG servers going many, many years after their game's prime. WTF?

Most likely because with MMOs you have an ongoing revenue model so those servers still generate revenue. Mercs 2 had no IAP from my memory so the servers are purely money down the drain in EA's mind as they want you to move on and buy their new games.

That's understandable - but then releasing the game in a state that required you to log into their online matchmaking servers to play multiplayer with absolutely no official alternative was just a dick move. If you knew your game's revenue stream was going to be limited and you'd have to shut this online support down at some point, why even do it at all? You're just going to piss off your players otherwise.

It's EA... They likely intended to cash in on yearly updates, like they do with sports titles...

Mechwarrior 2... k14...

-Alamar

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
41. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 12:37 Alamar

As I didn't like the original Thief games very much, and enjoyed Deus Ex:HR, and Dishonored, and other recent stealth games with action, I welcome these changes... Not enough to run out and buy it, but I'll look for it in a year or so for $5.

Just recently played through Tomb Raider (for $5), and thoroughly enjoyed it, and installed Max Payne 3 (that I also got for $5 some time in the last half year, or part of a bundle), and intend to see how that is... Plus I have dozen's of unfinished games I spent considerably more on (currently going through M&M:X, Amalur, Batman:Origins), so I think I can wait ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls II on May 31?
3. Re: Dark Souls II on May 31? Feb 3, 2014, 15:25 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 15:04:
Sheeit, I thought PC version was releasing at the same time... Ah well, 3 months isn't so bad.

While 05 (May) minus 02 (Feb), is 3... It's a 4 month wait... Sorry : )

-Alamar

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
28. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 2, 2014, 00:18 Alamar

alloutofgum.com eh...

Wonder if Rowdy Roddy Piper is making a come back...

-Alamar

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Video
2. Re: Dark Souls 2 Video Jan 30, 2014, 23:10 Alamar

Little disappointed they show clips from people that are really bad at the game...

I realize they want to keep the illusion that the game/series is really hard, but seriously, at least show some better combat...

-Alamar

News Comments > Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison
3. Re: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison Jan 30, 2014, 10:34 Alamar

BitWraith wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 09:45:
I loved the game (played on PC). One of the issues I had with the character was how cartoony Laura looked in comparison with the other characters that they tried to make look like real people. Laura still looks a bit like a barbie doll, doing every movement as sexily as she possibly can. She's a strong female lead, but she looks like what a room full of guys thinks a strong female lead looks like.

Now comes this "definitive" version of Laura which looks even more lifeless and plastic. They took several steps backwards. At least the girl on the right up there looks like it could be modeled after a real person. The "definitive" version just looks like a sex-doll.

Frankly I have been unimpressed with the definitive edition.

I just went through this game (best $5 spent this last year), with Lara (btw), and I didn't notice her being overly sexy in her actions... And she does indeed look how I expect someone in the (impossible) physical condition required to do these kinds of things, should look.

As for the above video, I see what you mean... The face especially.

Also, does the PS4 support voice commands? The video claims PS4 to PC, but at least one of the scenes shows the tutorial text for shouting a command.

-Alamar

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
5. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:28 Alamar

My first thought was... 'Oh neat, I didn't know this was released yet'... Annnnnnnd it's not...

This is why Early Access is offered ; )

-Alamar

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 28, 2014, 18:22 Alamar

Echo Prime looks good, is only $8, gets you a free (currently $15) game... And for a company that makes some pretty cool (unique/different) stuff... Sold!

-Alamar

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots
16. Re: Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots Jan 28, 2014, 11:21 Alamar

I really should beat the first...

-Alamar

1780 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo